“Great value!”

Ranked #44 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Milwaukee
“Great value!”
Reviewed March 18, 2005

I'm 27 years old and stayed at this hotel with my girlfriend from February 26- March 6th. I just want to say that after reading reviews on here I was a little nervous heading out to this place. I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the room and the resort overall. I didn't tip housekeeping until the last day (per my travel guide), and each and every day we had water and clean sheets. My only complaint would be the very limited main dish selection at the buffet. It seemed like stir fry was the main dish every day. The first few days was alright, but then it got old. There were plenty of desserts to go around.

There was a mix of people at this hotel, from people in their 20s to people in their 70s. The kids at the pool were not as annoying as I thought they would be(the Golden Crown next door is adults only and it didn't look to impressive) The vendors on the beach were plentiful but a stern "no thank you" would get them away.

Overall, I have no problems with the hotel, but next time I'm down there I may go to another hotel just to compare.

7 Thank schneiks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
minneapolis minnesota
Reviewed March 14, 2005

Just got back from the Golden Crown Paradise on 03-14-05
This was our third time there and all I can say this will be our last.
There were 6 couples on this trip. Upon arrival everyone but us got there rooms at the 3:00 we were told ours would be ready around 4:00.
at 4:15 our room was ready and it had twin beds and stunk of sewage. We had requested a king bed on our reservations made 3 months early. The front desk are not helpful in any way saying they were all book up was told to check back the next day. Slept with wet towels over the sewer drains and windows open. The rooms between the six couples varied greatly one couple had champange and chocolates with welcome signs on there doors.
When I asked the front desk why there was so much difference in rooms I was told they are repeat customers. I inform them that we and 3 other couples were also repeat customers. Their reponse was there records didn't show this to be true. The fourth day there we received a invite to join all the other repeat customers for a drink.
The food and bar staff were great like always. be prepared to reserve you beach chair no later than 7:00 am or you will not have one the whole day.
If you go pack duct tape for the drains.

• Stayed March 2005
5 Thank Luv_PV6
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 14, 2005

Went to the Golden Crown in February. Nice choice!

The Adults only is a good feature - so nice not to have screaming kids everywhere. Wish more resorts were adults only. Good feature is the palaypa bar on the beach, which is also hard to find at all-inclusives. Beach waiter service is occasional at best (but the bar is close by). Good location, close enough to downtown - but no real reason to leave the resort!

I've read some of the most recent comments & will add - there is not a refrigerator in the room as some said. Maid service was questionable and odd. They have a habit of bringing one towel at a time, so if you want some privacy in the room during the day, forget it - they'll knock on your door to bring you one wash cloth at a time. One day they didn't show up with the final towel and sheets until 9 pm (after calling the front desk 4 times to ask about it!!)

Practical stuff - don't bother packing a blow dryer or beach towels - they are provided. You get 2 small bottles of water in the room each day, more if you want to pay for it. No ice machines, but you can get ice at the bar. Sams & Walmart are a 8 minute walk on streets that seem to be safe. Coffee maker in the room, but easier to go to the beach bar for coffee and wonderful fresh orange juice.

You get coupons when you check-in for the restaurants at the sister resort next door (only 2 per 7 or 10 day stay). Italian restaurant is okay (duck was very good), but beware of seafood appetizers that might be raw seafood - got ill from that. Reservation-required restaurants at the Golden Crown were okay. Only complaint is that sometimes on vacation you don't want to make a reservation in the morning - would be nice to just go to a restaurant whenever you happen to wake up from a siesta. That being the case, the no-reservation restaurant by the main pool is decent. They have a corn soup that is not really good! Skip the breakfast buffet at Paradise & go next door to the buffet where they cook eggs and omelettes to order. Paradise had cold greenish colored eggs that I just couldn't eat. The only time I went to the buffet next door was for their breakfast.

The beach is decent. Tons of vendors, but a diversion if you are bored and want to shop. I was entertained by one woman who bought something from every vendor that passed by! Beach walks: No shells, but plenty of rocks! Wondering about the polution in the bay that might have caused sea life problems in PVR because of the lack of shells.

The only thing I would have not done was take a taxi into town for dinner at the Blue Shrimp. A $65 meal for two that was so-so, but I couldn't bear the smell of the propane gas that they fired up every 10 minutes or so. Noxious! Skip that one. No view - just a cement building with a small enclosed patio. Better shrimp can be found elsewhere.

Oh - I also recommend that you skip the Crown "shows". They have a pretty poor quality sound system that is at a sound level that causes hearing damage. I tried it twice, and couldn't tolerate it. Remember that in Mexico you can ask for a "to go" cup when you leave. But, don't take my word for it, many people sat there and didn't cover their ears in pain. Too bad, because the dancers did a great job, but the volume was extruciating.

Now - great things - nice, relaxing vacation. Nice beach & enjoyed watching the cruise ships come in. Go grab a coffee or OJ in the morning & take a beach walk. Also, if you want silver jewelry, visit the booth by the marina (just beyond the sister Crown hotel) - first row. They have 950 sterling silver which is quite nice, and better than the 925 (or unmarked) stuff from the beach vendors.

The pools are heated (actually quite warm on a hot day!). There is a small adults-only pool next door that was so warm it would have been nice during the evening (but was too hot for during the day when I visited). The ocean is very nice - surf was calm except for one day when the undertow was quite tough. Seemed to be a bit warmer in the bay than in Punta Mita (down the coast).

All said, I think the Golden Crown was very nice (especially for an all-inclusive). I'd probably go there again (...maybe next week?).

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Saskatoon, SK
Reviewed March 4, 2005

Im only 14 years old, and my family and I went to Vista Playa De Oro {now known as Crown Paradise Club} and I definatly recommend it to anyone who wants to go. My dad was talking to a woman who said she had a daughter my age, and she didnt think their would be a lot of people her daughters age at the resort, and there wasnt that many, but there was still quite a few. If you have young kids, theres a really great kids pool with slides, and a lot of things for them to do. At the other pool {the main one} everyday they play games like water polo, volleyball, and basketball. They also do a lot of other things like beach volleyball, aerobics, and the sundance. All these activities are lead by the people that work at the towel hut. All the people who work their are great people, and are all very nice. My brother {who is 17} and I became friends with a few of them. Theres 3 restraunts and a buffet. The 3 restraunts are Italian, Japanese, and French. At the Italian Restraunt and the French Restraunt the menu changes everyday. The menus are set out at the towel hut for you to look at them, to help you to decide which one to go to. For all the restraunts except that buffet you have to make a reservation. You make the reservations at the towel hut, and you cant make them untill 9 am. Thats when the towel hut opens. There is usually a big line of people waiting right at 9 for it to open, so if you want a time before about 8pm, I recommend waiting in that line. I highly recommend going to the factory club. It is about half a block away. Its just down the street. You can actually see it from the front of the resort. Its mostly for Crown Paradise Club and the Golden Crown Paradise. You get free drinks there if your all inclusive as well. And also, the people who work at the towel hut are people who work at the factory club. The factory club is people dancing and its really good. My family and I all loved the Holleywood show, and the Broadway show. There is quite a few beach venders on the beach, but if you say "no thankyou" they will walk away. There isnt really any bugs, but there is a few bees. The bees are mostly around the bars though. There is 5 bars: swim up {adults only}, beach, pool, lobby, and an actually bar called the bounty bar that opens at 6pm, and has pool tables, tvs, and places to sit. If you dont speak English, you still can watch tv in your rooms. Some channels are in english, but they have spanish subtitles. I honestly would recommend a regular room more then a suite if you dont plan on spending to much time in your room. The suite has a fridge, and a stove, a table set, and things like that, but the bed is a pull out couch, and the regular rooms have 2 twin sized beds. If you've never been to mexico before, you should go on the city tour because my family did that, and it was great. They take you around the city in a comfortable bus, stop to let you take pictures, and take you to the flea market to go shopping. I really hope you consider this resort because I had a great time. Mexicans are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

17 Thank MizDrama
Springport, Michigan
Reviewed March 3, 2005

We were there Feb 9-16th of 2005. The place had had a lot of improvements made since 2003. They now have a full sized bathtub along with all the ammenities we are used to seeing in the US, ie., Hair dryer, coffee maker and makeup mirror. We received two waters each day from the maid, some of the comments on this subject made it seem that getting bottled water was tough. It's not. I drank the water right out of the tap with no ill effects. They do purify the water and it does not stink of chlorine. This hotel is right next to the Marina where many of the excursions leave so that's quite handy. The other reviews we read about the French, Italian and Japanese restaraunts is right on. The french is outstanding, the Italian so-so and don't even bother with the Japanese. The beds are extremely hard and shorter than normal. I am 6' 2" and had to lay corner to corner on it and still hung over a little. I had 5 pillows brought to the room and layed on them to soften it up. We were very happy with the hotel and the price we paid and will go back, but will demand a queen size bed next time!

11 Thank Fraugdawg
Shoreline, Washington
Reviewed February 27, 2005

My partner and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Crown Paradise Club. It was my second time there and just as wonderful as my first visit last year.

We can say nothing but wonderful things about this place. The staff is so very friendly and helpful. The food is great - especially Salvador's (make sure to have the Sexy Coffee) - but the snack bar by the pool has great tacos as well as other stuff. There was also an Empanda station, a pasta station, numerous grilled snacks to enjoy. The tiki bar around the corner in front of the ocean front units has great sandwiches and even sushi!

We were made to feel as part of their family. We had a ceramic tile hung by our door that said Casa Speer...a simple gesture that made us feel special. We don't understand complaints about how terrible it is to HAVE to walk to the towel hut to make a dinner reservation for the fine dining venues...or to complain about there being a tip jar on the bar. Yes this is an all inclusive resort but it seems that a $1 here or there that is SO appreciated by the staff shouldn't be a problem.

Please remember if you're considering staying here there will always be someone to complain about some little thing. If you can get past that and aren't a completely uptight person yourself you will enjoy yourselves.

We'd like to give a big thank you to everyone at the hotel but especially Ramirez and Sol (pool bar wait staff), Danny (activities), Arturo (The Pub bar), for their exceptional attitudes and service. Hello also to Gary and Judy from Vancouver Island and their family. You all are a hoot and we really enjoyed hanging out with you.

22 Thank Kahanaboy_67
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2005

I've read reviews on this hotel that said that it caters to the 40 and up crowd. I agree. But that's not a bad thing. We are in our mid-20's and we still had a nice and relaxing time. A real "party scene" would have been fun, but wouldn't that get old after a few days?

They did have several activities during each day that included things like water aerobics, and wind-surf lessons. Let me warn you, if you don't like getting all "touchy feely" with strangers, don't participate in the water aerobics. It starts out with simple exercises, but ends up in this circle of holding hands, and then hands on the shoulders, and then much closer! Way too much "togetherness" for me! I was wierded out by it and swam away. But everyone else seemed to be enjoying it.

The activity directors are very enthusiastic. But not too anoying. They work very hard, I think harder than any of the employees there! You'll see them in the morning working out in the Gym (which, it turns out is required to keep their jobs), and then during the whole day they'll be encouraging people to participate in this and that, and then they keep working late into the night putting on the shows over at the disco. It's no wonder that they are all in shape and beautiful! We were too sleepy every night to make it to any of the shows, but everyone said that they were great.

A few tips: If you want to hang out around the pool all day in comfort, get up early (like, before 9am), and lay some towels on the lounges by the hedge that borders another resort next door. The temp there has to be at least 10 degrees lower. There are umbrellas around the pool, but the really don't offer that much shade.

And another: I know that they say that there is "no tipping allowed". But I don't think they take it as seriously here than they do at other resorts where they say the same. There's even a tip jar at the pool bar! I don't think you defiantly need to tip to get good service tho. Everyone around the pool got waited on just as fast as us, even tho we thru a tip to the girl that was delivering drinks every now and then. But, when we tipped the bartender once, only once (and I mean only a dollar!) the drinks from then on were superb! Although the drinks were nice before we did that. And this especially applies to room service. They are defiantly on "Mexico time" when it comes to delivering it. The first time we ordered room service, it actually took 2 hours!! But we tipped him anyway, a dollar, and the next time we ordered it took 20-30 minutes to arrive! This may annoy some, but think, they do not earn very much money down there, and a dollar here and there wont kill us! By the way, their burgers are yummy off the room service menu. And you have to try the shrimp stir-fry off the room service menu, excellent! But know that anywhere in the resort, the milk is instant milk, not real milk.

The restaurants are excellent. And the food is excellent. You must make a reservation at Salvador's. It's a bit of a bummer that you have to walk almost to the beach to make the reservation, but you will not be disappointed with the food. When you get there, order the "sexy coffee", a show in itself, and very good. And make sure to try the restaurants in the "sister resort" next door. It is called Crown Paradise CLUB, the side that allows children. There are some very good restaurants over there as well.

Another tip: When you book you trip here, book it as a special occasion of some sort (birthday, wedding, anniversary, etc.). You will get bumped up to the best room that they have at no extra charge. Usually including a mini-kitchen, ocean view and hot-tub.

Over-all we had a great time. The place is small, and if you are looking for a non-stop party, don't bother going here. But where they lack in size they make up in service, quality, and relaxation.

28 Thank A TripAdvisor Member