“Lovely Honeymoon Suite, But Lacking in the Areas of Food and Service”

Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #45 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Lovely Honeymoon Suite, But Lacking in the Areas of Food and Service”
Reviewed March 13, 2009

We stayed at the Golden Crown Paradise March 5th and 6th as part of our 11 day Puerto Vallarta Trip.

Early Thursday morning we arrived at the GCP to drop off our bags, as we had a boat tour scheduled that day. The nice bellman showed us the hospitality suite to leave our bags, and gave us orange juice and cool towels. The front desk was very nice, giving us our towel cards and check in slip for when we got back from our boat trip.

Upon returning around 5pm, our room was ready, and a different but equally as nice bellman took us to our room, pointing out hotel features along the way. We had room 1703, one of three honeymoon suites, this one being the highest up and farthest away from the noise from the pool. You enter the suite onto the wrap around terrace, which, along with the private jacuzzi, is the best part of the room and the hotel (as a side note, having the private jacuzzi was the main reason we'd decided to try this hotel, it was cheaper than all the others in the area, and we also wanted to try out an all inclusive, since we'd never been to one). On the terrace there was the jacuzzi, with towels and bubble bath laid out, a table and 4 chairs under the overhang, two loungers and a table out closer to the railing, and two chairs and another table around the corner. There was also a bar area, with coffee maker, cups, ice bucket, and they'd left a bottle of champagne for us. Our mini fridge under the counter was stocked with 4 beers, about 8 sodas, and some club soda. I did have to turn the fridge colder upon arrival, but after that everything stayed nice and chilled.

Inside the room there are two sliding glass doors, one to each side of the wrap around terrace. A big king bed, which we found perfectly sleepable, although not a super soft pillow top by any means, bedside tables, TV stand with flat screen TV and closet are all in the main room, with the safe in the closet. The bathroom was very nice, lots of marble, and the bathtub with shower over it was almost as big as our jacuzzi. There were lots of nice toiletries, including a nice bag with loofa, nice smelling lotions, nail files, etc, more than usually provided by hotels, but this may have been given to us because we were in the honeymoon suite. Overall, a very nice suite, although the decor was a little cheesy/outdated.

Pools - we only spent one afternoon by the pool, but we found the service to be almost nonexistent. Only twice in about 4 hours did we see a waitress come around, and it was only to clear plates and glasses, not to take drink orders. We even put out a $50 peso bill on the table, but it didn't do any good. But it wasn't really a big deal to make my fiancé go over to the pool bar to refill my glass for me! At the pool we enjoyed the hot tub, swimming with pool noodles/floaties, and about an hour of water volleyball. I'd read about it being called 'tequila volleyball' but I'm not sure why it's called that, other than the fact that half the people playing were already drunk on tequila?

Food - We ate lunch one day at the pool bar, where you could get pizza (not that great, along the lines of school cafeteria quality), tacos (pretty good), hamburgers and hot dogs (which we didn't try). It was filling, but not gourmet by any means. We also ate both nights at the a la cart restaurant, Paradise. Our first night it was because we'd read so much about Polly and his 'sexy coffee,' however the food and service that night was the worst our entire trip. At the 8:30pm seating there was only about 8 tables with people, I think most people must have preferred the earlier seatings, maybe the food is better earlier in the evening? We both had the salad bar, which was pretty good, and I had stuffed calamari as an appetizer, which was 'eh', and Alex had the red snapper soup for his appetizer, which wasn't to bad. However, my salmon entree was grossly overcooked, I only ate about 3 bites of it. My fiancé had the "Wrapped Crab" entree, which really only had about 3 chunks of crab in it, and was mainly shrimp (no mention of shrimp being in it on the menu). Both our meals were not good at all, but that may have been because it was later at night? Also the service was extremely slow here as well. We ordered ice cream and "sexy coffee" for dessert, but the ice cream never came after waiting for about a half hour, and all the waiters kind of ignored us when we tried to flag them down (not sure how long/hard it is to put ice cream in a bowl?). Finally Polly, the head waiter came to do the presentation of "sexy coffee" for the couple at the table next to us, so we at least got to see it. After Polly was done doing the coffee for the table next to us, we thought we'd finally get ours, but he rushed off in the opposite direction to put the cart away, so we gave up and left, rather disappointed with this restaurant. The next evening we reviewed the menus of the a la carts, and the menu at Paradise looked a lot better than Salvador's so we tried it again, and it was a little better at the 7:00pm seating. For dinner the second night we had the salad bar again, chicken nuggets and an empanada for appetizers, and beef kababs and rib eye for entrees. The food was a bit better, and the service still not that friendly, but at least more prompt. We also finally got our ice cream (exactly 24 minutes after ordering it, I timed it), but didn't bother asking for the coffee, and left not that impressed, but at least full this time. We did order room service several times, and it was always very quick and pretty good, especially the breakfasts and late night snacks.

Nightlife - Our first night at the GCP we spent about an hour at the beachside Breeze Bar, where service was slow until we started giving out $50 peso tips, then they finally gave us some attention. The view was very nice from this bar, we had a brief sunset and got to watch a cruise ship casting off. Our second night, after dinner we met two couples we'd played water volleyball with at the Pub, and then crossed the street to the Club Nitro, where drinks were included as part of our AI package. It was the 6 of us and maybe 10 other people at this large disco, but we decided we were bringing the party and after quite a few rounds of drinks, some karaoke, and lots of shots (even with the bartender), we hardly noticed we were the only ones there! After a couple hours across the street, we invited everyone up to our suite, and we all sat around the jacuzzi with our feet in it and ordered room service. Once the room service guys realized we were ordering for people from 3 different rooms, they started bringing us the big bottles of Sol beer, lots of sandwiches and snacks, and even a bottle of champagne for me, since I'm not a beer drinker. We tipped very well though, especially for making them come up 4 or 5 times with different requests, until 4:30am when everyone left. It was a fun night, and I think we actually got our money's worth of the AI cost.

Costs - For two nights in the honeymoon suite our cost was $881.25 USD, including tax. Over the two days we probably tipped at least another $100 USD (but did tip in pesos), even tipping $100 pesos at dinner after the lousy service. For every drink we got we tipped $20 pesos for a single, or $50 pesos if it was the two of us getting drinks, and we tipped for every room service trip and the bellman services.

All in all, I'd say this is a fair to average hotel. The service was really hit or miss, especially when it came to food and drinks, but the rooms were comfortable. My biggest complaint, other than the service and food quality, was that there were lots of mosquitoes. We slept with our balcony door open and were eaten alive. I must have killed 10 of them in the bathroom alone while getting ready in the morning, all fat from feeding on us all night. The ages of the people staying at this resort seemed to be either spring break age or 50+, which is fine if you're in those groups, but not really the atmosphere we were looking for. The best part of our stay was the first night, after using the jacuzzi and sipping champagne on our terrace loungers, my fiancé proposed to me. So for that reason, I will give this resort 3.25 stars out of 5, instead of the 2.5 or 3 it really deserves. But if you are into all inclusives, and fit into the right demographic for the hotel, I can see how you would enjoy this resort, so it may be worth a shot. I wouldn't recommend this resort to any of my friends, but would recommend it to my aunt and uncle who like to party and aren't picky about food.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank calivalley92

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 10, 2009

I've just returned from a wonderful stay in PV, where we roomed at the Golden Crown Paradise. First off, I would stay there again - I went with three other adults and we had a great time. The biggest pluses were the cleanliness of the grounds, the ocean view from our room, the cleanliness of the beach, proximity to downtown (only a $5 cab ride), and an adult-only environment.

On the not-so-good side:
I don't think I enjoyed a single meal there, but then my husband and I are both foodies and really enjoy freshly prepared skillful cuisine. I would put the food on par with Golden Corral, or any all-you-can-eat buffet that appeals to kids. We did dine at Salvadore's one evening and it was a dressy lackluster affair. We all would have preferred to dress casual and head to town for an authentic PV dining experience.
Mosquitoes in our room. I think I came back with 20 bites. The other couple we went with did not have this problem, so I don't think it's every room in the resort.
The shower. Watch your step. It's an uphill hike to get in and an adventure to get out. My husband and I are young and fit and we were both concerned we would hurt ourselves climbing in and out of the shower!
Vendors on the beach. I timed it. You cannot sit in peace for more than 2 minutes without a vendor trying to sell you something. I'm not sure HOW many times I told the same tablecloth-selling vendor 'no'. After awhile, I just ignored them - which is very hard to do. I guess this could be good if you want to shop for tableclothes, sunglasses, fake silver, onyx carvings, blankets, shirts, etc all from your beach chair. We really didn't appreciate it.

Take an excursion. I'd highly recommend ziplining in the mountains. We went with the "Los Veranos Canopy Tour" and just loved it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank IslandPink
Vancouver
Reviewed March 8, 2009

My Brother and I went down to Crown Paradise Club Resort for a week in Feb...first of all.. not long enough.(55&60 yr) Check in was a breeze as only 3 of us arrived on the flight for this Hotel.(APPROX 7PM) We went to the Buffet and had a glass of red wine and dinner (Wine good ,dinner OK) Our room was over on the quiet side by the Time Share Wing and overlooking the small pool (not heated but refreshing) Out of our room to the left were the Cruise Ships over looking the big flea market which we went to all the time (priced go up when a Ship is in) We wanted to support these people who have to make a living cuz when the ships aren't in, it's dead!
Our room was great overlooking the small pool.The bathroom was huge with tub and shower with lots of pressure. Maid was great,always left lots of water and the place spotless.We would tip once in a while. The beds were hard(which I liked) and the pillows were soft in our room.
Went into Puerto Vallarta/old and new on the local bus which was about 50 cents one way. Wow what a ride!! But well worth it. The Malecon was great ,lots of flea markets. It was Sunday and they have a big party that evening..something they do every Sunday..we had been there for a few hours and thought we might go back but didn't. Later on in the stay my brother did the back area of Puerto Vallartta on the bus and saw how the locals live....so different and poor to almost blocks away where we are living in luxury. Lots og Ugana's all over the place.
We didn't eat in any of the restaurants outside of the Resort as I have to watch what I eat..but we did eat in either the French or the Italian every nite(Not good reports on the Japanese) Dinner was mostly very good but small portions for some things so we just ordered doubles of these. Service everywhere was great!
The niteclub "NITRO" across the street had something going on everynite..entertainment or kids shows and on Tues Nite it was Kareoke...should have done that more often.
There was also another bar across from the activity pool that we dicovered on our last nite. It was inside and had pool tables and a big dance floor! My brother loves to dance so it was a shame that we missed it all those nites.
The Adult pool was warm and it was like it was abig drunken party every afternoon there. We went a couple of times to just sit in it having a beer and people watch....I preferred the quiet pool because that's what I was there for..to relax!
Met alot of great people...Staff were great.(except the ladies in the shops on site...grumpy) Everything was so clean.
Take a long walk down the beach for something to do and get some sun...someone walked all the way to the Malecon and took a bus back. Taxis are 5 bucks one way, but as I said the bus is a hoot!
There is a local American Express bank just up the street that will change your US to Pesos but will not do anything else. It was 13 pesos to a US dollar at that time. My brother had to make a money chart for us to figure things out in a hurry! Ha! There is also a big store" Sorienna's(sp)" where you can buy anything so that can be handy if you forgot anything.
I have been to many "All Inclusives" around Mexico and Dominican Republic thru the years and this is one of my favourites! This was the most touristized one as WalMart was down the street ,there was a Mall by it and the previous store around the corner which was a surprise. But when your in the resort it doesn't matter except when you want a 6 pak of beer for your room and all you have to is go around the corner...that was nice..and they will give you a garbage can full of ice at the lobby bar.
All in all I would recommend it to people with kids cuz they have a great Water Park tucked away behind the Adult pool for them. It looked like so much fun for them!
I would probably not go back just because there are alot of Resorts out there to try but I would definitly recommend it!!

• Stayed February 2009
3 Thank Hester53
Lemmon, South Dakota
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Our group of eight stayed at GCP January 18-25, 2008. We were picked up at the airport by our shuttle by Trafictours. We arrived at the resort in minutes only to be shuffled into a very stuffy and warm meeting room by the Trafictour employees who also work the information desk at the resort. We were told to wait there in that awful room to be given some resort information and that that would be fine as our rooms weren't ready anyway. After a few minutes in the room with about 40 other people, our group got up and left to go find a cervasa (we had been up since 3:00 a.m. and it was now 2:30 p.m.) We found a chair and a cervasa poolside and waited for our room to be ready in the sun with a view of the ocean. Don't let your tour company sour your first hour of vacation!! Be in charge of your life. You can always book your tours later - we did with no problemo.

Our rooms were on the ground floor with a view of the pool. At first we were disapointed about not having a higher floor room but we came to love the ground floor. It was so easy to jump the terrace and grab some Baileys and coffee early in the morning. Or drop off the beach bag in the afternoon or to use the restroom. The room was very clean and the decor was pleasing. We even got a King bed which was a first even though we request one on every trip. So that was really nice! Not sure why they have coffee pots in the room when they tell you not to drink the tap water in the rooms. But with coffee just out the side door and over the terrace it didn't matter to us.

The rooms were very insulated for sound as well. No noise from the hallway or from above or from outside with the doors shut. This was very much appreciated. The beds were comfortable.

The food that we ate at the resort was all good. We hit the buffet every morning for breakfast. There was something for everyone. And it was all good with lots of variety. For lunches (which we didn't need after eating breakfast) we hit the grills by the pool, the sandwiches on the beach and a little buffet at the sister resort that was also beachside. This was my favorite place as it had lettuce salads and lots of toppings as well as pizza, hotdogs, wings, etc. Never really the same offering two days in a row but always something to get a quick snack. We never did go to the big buffet at noon. Didn't want to sit inside and eat! I did walk through one day and there was lots to choose from.

In the evening, you were forced to choose a time to eat and then forced to dress up to eat. The pants for the guys thing just didn't set well with our group of guys. We come from the snow and cold and the guys really fussed about not being able to wear shorts and a polo. We are also more of a spur of the moment kind of group so hated having to decide in the morning if we were going to want to eat at 6:00, 7:00, 8:00 or 9:00. Too many rules for us. But.............that said we could have eaten at the buffet or the pool side restaurant every night, when ever and wore whatever. But geesh you're at a resort with all these fantastic eating choices. We did convince the guys to go with us to the Italian restaurant which was very good and a great dining experience for us. We also ate upstairs at the GCP, can't remember the name. That wasn't as good, but still fun. Especially the awesome coffee experience made by Poly. All in all, I think they could relax their dress code a tad.

The drinks were all good. I think my husband had 200 pina coladas. My favorite was the coffee tasting cold drink with kaluah or Baileys mixed in it. Can't remember the name. But this was only really tasty at the bar closest to the lobby in the pool area. The other areas didn't make it as good. I really enjoyed their white wine as well with dinner. And don't be afraid to ask for a mimosa at the buffet at breakfast. The servers will bring you one!

We have never vacationed adults only before. This was really nice.

We went over to the entertainment center each night for the shows. I can't believe how many talented people there were for Karoke night. Some of the people that got up and sang were awesome. The shows were good. The entertainment staff sure work hard. Some nights were pretty low key with hardly anyone in attendance.

The pool was great. The adult hot tub at the sister restor was awesome. And it was usually hot! Which we have found in Mexico is not the norm for hot tubs. We spent an hour or so in this hot tub every late afternoon. We apologize to any we may have offended with our humor!

The beach at this resort is great. There was always chairs and palapas available. But the vendors in this area are very annoying. We did buy some things but every day it was the same. You could tell the same person five times a day "no thank you." Add this to about 50 vendors and you said "no thank you" way too many times for a relaxing vacation. I know the resort can't "fix" this problem but it is something to be aware of. We enjoy visiting with the vendors - but you really do get frustrated saying no especially about the third day.

Even though this resort is probably the nicest resort we have stayed at and we have traveled every winter for several years, we will probably not go back just because of the rules at the restaurants. This may sound silly, but it was an issue for our group.

The weather at PV was also the best weather we have experienced on vacation.

It was fun to walk over and look at the cruise ships in the marina. This was just a block or so away. It seemed every morning we would take that short walk in the sand after breakfast as there was always something to see docked.

This is a great resort, the price was right, the rooms were nice, the food was ok. Just not for us traveling with our group. If it was just us as a couple, we would maybe go back.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
7 Thank lemmon
East Central North Dakota
Reviewed February 25, 2009

My husband and I just returned from 10 days at the Golden Crown. While we had a wonderful, relaxing time in PV, the hotel was just okay. It is very clean in terms of staff always sweeping, etc., but I found the desk manager uncooperative. We had reserved a king bed and were disappointed to have to sleep in a double bed (not a queen, mind you, a double) for two nights until we finally begged enough to get the king we wanted. I'm not sure if slipping the guy a few pesos would have helped or not.....probably would have.

Second, our maid was very friendly but a little distracted. Sometimes we got towels. Two days of the 10 we got no towels at all. Only once or twice did we get face towels. We were also out of kleenex and toilet paper as well. We left her a tip everyday, so I guess that didn't make much difference.

The buffet at the other side of the hotel is good for breakfast. We didn't eat there for lunch or suppers. Mostly we ate pool food (don't miss the pork tacos) for a light lunch and then went to the hotel restaurants for supper, which we had pretty good luck at. Good service, good tasting food. But I'd skip the beef products. We produce our own beef, so anything less is disappointing to us. Still, I did bite into a hamburger at the pool snack bar, and I'm with the other travelers here who say it's some type of unidentifiable meat.

We used the pool a lot, but preferred the ocean, though there are vendors there. We enjoyed visiting with some, but if you're going to take a tour on the Pirate Ship or go whale watching or snorkeling, etc., book from Salvador Ruiz (cell number [--]). You'll find him on the beach, generally wearing a white shirt with a Pirate Ship logo on one side. Just ask vendors their names and they'll tell you. Sal Ruiz was exceptionally helpful and honest in our dealings. He met us in front of the hotel and walked us to the marina the first time and gave us some good tips (like avoid buying at the flea market when the cruise ships are in...prices go up!) The hotel will warn you about doing business with anyone on the beach, but we were unimpressed with the World Vacations Rep there who was unhelpful and I'm sure personally benefited from warning us away from vendors like Sal. By the way, Sal spent several years in the U.S. so his English is very good--not a problem for me but if you're uncomfortable with Espanol, you'll like to visit with Sal.

Beware the "hospitality desk" and "information desk" at the hotel. They are time share operations. They look out for people wearing wrist bands (meaning you're rich) and they want to speak to couples only. Avoid them, no matter what they offer.

The drinks could be very good or really awful. Depended on who mixed them, it seems, especially the Miami Vice drinks. Once at the Japanese restaurant I ordered a white wine, got a glass, asked for another, and the second glass was half water. I reported it immediately to my server who, no questions asked, replaced it with a "real" glass. If you like beer with more flavor, ask for a cervesa negro....Indio is the brand I believe. Otherwise, the default beer is Sol, which is light and flavorless, if you ask me. I think it's also 3.2 beer, since you can drink it all day and not feel a buzz.

I think it's unfortunate that a supposed four star (I think it's no better than a 3) doesn't have free Wi-Fi, or at least make it reasonable. I use email daily for work, so I have to have access. This meant a short walk to an internet cafe where I had to buy something to use their service.

Overall, we had a very fun time, but the rooms seem older than they are, the decorating could use some updating, and the bar by the pool/lobby area will serve until 3:00 a.m. so keep your air conditioner going and your ceiling fan if you're a light sleeper. I think next time I will try the Krystal hotel--there are areas in that resort that are better than others, too, according to our travel agent and our beach vendor friend, Sal Ruiz. Look him up.

• Stayed February 2009
5 Thank Rilla A
North_Dakota
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We stayed at Golden Crown Paradise All Inclusive for Adults, PV, for a week in February. The place as a whole is great. However, the rooms smelled very musty, had to leave sliding door open all the time. The beds are OK but the pillows are flat and hard. The food at the fine dining restaurants is very delicious and great service. The food at the buffet which is at the next door Crown Paradise for families is not very good. The food at the pool side areas is average. The alcoholic beverages are very poor. The pool is fun and the activities: water aerobics, water BB, water football, relaxing are absolutely great. The swim up bar which is at the Crown Paradise for families should really be in the Adults only pool. Go figure!! Do think that some of the cleaning (restrooms by pool) should be cleaned during the night when not in use. The building is very clean, the employees are always cleaning. They offer their help and are very sincere and gracious. We certainly would use this resort again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Curt_Sharon
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We have been to PV many times and always look for an "adults only" hotel. There are very few in Puerto Vallarta . Golden Crown is a below average hotel.
I was surprised to learn it is only 10 years old. The rooms look much older to me. The beds are lumpy and the pillows are like rocks. There is no water pressure and don't even try to take a shower between 3 - 6 p.m. There was no hot water. The bath tub takes a 1/2 hour to fill.

The worst thing about our visit was the food. It was just horrible. They repeat the menus every other night. The menus do not offer much of a selection, and what you do order is just not edible. I could not even cut thru a piece of fish! We ordered steak one night. It did not look or taste like beef. The pasta was so overcooked it was like having a bowl of soup. After trying the restaurants a few times, we ended up just having breakfast and snacks and eating out every night. Except for the pork taco's, the pool food was bad. Again, I don't think the hamburgers were really beef.

The pool was heated which was a plus, but it was just so so--no frills. Its just a plain rectangle pool like you would expect to find at a motel. The waitresses at the pool are more like bus persons, cleaning up plates instead of getting drinks. Ordering a drink could take up to 1/2 hour.

The service is wonderful. Each and every staff member we met were wonderful. I wish they all worked at a better hotel so I could visit them again!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple