“Horrible Experience!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Longview, Texas
“Horrible Experience!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2004

I was very disappointed in my P.V. experience this year. This resort was rated a 5 star on reviews... if you are a person that has traveled before, you will definately know that this resort might be a 2 star. Rooms were not ready when promised, service was horrible....beaches were filthy.....couldn't enjoy laying by or near the beach because the vendors were like vultures, and wouldn't take no for no....food was nothing to write home about....air condition in room blew a little more than what a box fan would....there were very little planned activities on site....promises of non-motorized sports, but the waves were to powerful to enjoy any of these....room service was pitiful - if they arrived at all, it was at least 1-2 hours late and the food was cold...all adult resort, but the night shows were inappropriate for adults such as Disney themes - adults dressed like disney characters lip syncing to Disney songs...not enough towels...and the list goes on and on. Save your money, or yet, pay a little more to go somewhere nicer...you'll be glad you did.

1 Thank LNora64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2004

We returned from our stay on July 4/o4 My wife and myself and our 2 adult sons stayed in 2 rooms. Everthing was great except one serious problem. The hotel was great, beautiful, clean etc. The food and service was good. I would definitely recommend the hotel and staff. Aldo, Edwardo and Enrique were extra helpful and friendly. The bad part. Our two sons were put in a jail cell for allegedly not paying a bar bill while downtown. After talking to many people at the hotel and at home it turns out this is not too uncommon. They did pay the original bill and felt justified in not paying twice. The police took them in hancuffs to jail. The money they did have on them was taken by the police. We had to pay more to get them out. Very scary and maddening. I realize the hotel had no control over this, but I would hope they and other properties could pressure the powers that be to make it stop. Also maybe it will save it from happening to someone else. While I wholeheartedly would recommend the hotel I can't recommend anyone visit PV.

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2004

Big Thanks to everyone who has posted DETAILED reviews of the CP resort in Puerto Vallarta! They were very helpful in our selecting the Crown Paradise from July 3 - July 10, 2004.

Let me start off with the good, and I'll end up with the below average/bad stuff, so you can get a feel for how the place works. But before I do that, I can give you a little background on how we booked the trip since I would have found that helpful as well.

We booked through VacationsToGo and our agent, Brett, was great. He actually booked the trip through Funjet (more on them later) and did a great job communicating everything to us via e-mail and phone calls. We forgot our Funjet docs when we left NC and he called down to Houston to have a new set printed for us - no problem - it was very nice.

Once in Houston, we boarded the Funjet plane which had the least legroom of any jet I have ever flown on. DO NOT sit in row 22 if you are on a Funjet, as it is in front of the exit row and does not recline. The people in front of us were in our laps the entire trip (about 2 hours) and that wasn't fun. Airport transfers were included, and when we got to the CP resort, this is how everything "went down."

THE GOOD

CHECK IN was very efficient. The Funjet folks take you to an orientation room and some waiters come in and give you some fruit juice drinks. After a brief talk about some excursions, you pick up your keys (physical keys, not electronic) and remote for your TV. We had a king bed on a high floor (1621), which we had called ahead to Crown Paradise and asked for. You definitely do not want a room below about the 4th floor as you won't have a very good view. All of the rooms have nice balconies, but having one on a high floor is key.

THE ROOM was very nice. Not the room we were told by Funjet we would get, but nonetheless very nice. I'll detail the "upgrade issue" in my below average section. The A/C worked great, but if you are "easily chilled" bring some pajama bottoms or something. It got downright cold in those rooms from time to time and adjusting the thermostat didn't seem to really make a difference.

THE POOL was very nice. The resort was very full as it was July 4th week, so you needed to reserve a chair if you wanted to sit by the pool.

THE BEACH was also very nice. Granted the water was a little murky, but hey the water in NC is kind of murky, too so we are used to it. The rivers dump a lot of stuff into the ocean this time of year (rainy season) so Banderos Bay gets some debris in it. This just an FYI since CP has no control over water conditions. We had no problem getting a cabana on the beach every day and found that to be our favorite.

THE VENDORS were fine. I would say 1 in 10 stops to bother you, and you only have to tell them no twice. The rest take your "No, Gracias" and keep on walking. If you are reading/sleeping they will just keep on walking. The deals you will get on the beach are WAY better than in town at the open-air markets, so if you want some souvenirs/gifts you might want to buy them there. You can talk most of them down to between 1/4 and 1/2 of what they originally ask.

THE ENTERTAINMENT STAFF were great. They work very hard all day to make sure everyone in the pool/beach area is entertained. They put on some nice shows across the street that my wife and I both enjoyed. Tequila Karaoke night (Tuesday I believe) was a lot of fun watching all the guests from CP and Playa Del Oro get up and sing. I'd say easily as good as any cruise shows I've ever seen.

THE BARS were nice. Especially THE BREEZE BAR which is the Cabana Bar on the Beach. We watched the Sunset almost every night from the Breeze Bar and it was fabulous. I had read some reviews about watered down drinks, but while we were there they were plenty strong. I admit them having only Sol beer got a little repetitive by the end of the week, but you have plenty of other options if you get tired of the Sol. Also, you can get Dos Equis during the shows across the street at the factory club. Also at all the bars they have premium liquor but you have to ask for it or you will get the "Mexican Generic" equivalent. If you're planning on sitting and having a few drinks, do not go to the PUB BAR by Bella Vista restaurant. The drink service to the restaurant is 1st priority and the people in the bar are 2nd, so it takes awhile to get your drinks. We had no problem with this, just thought it would be a good tip for you. The Breeze Bar is the best for just sitting around and sipping on drinks.

TENNIS COURTS were nice. I had never played on clay before so it was a treat. There is construction going on at the place next door, so that is a bit distracting - but not too bad. We met a nice couple to play doubles with and really enjoyed ourselves.

THE BELOW AVERAGE

THE FOOD ranged from slightly above average for some meals to downright bad for others. Any Mexican dish you get will be slightly above average because HEY you're in Mexico. I wasn't expecting a 5 star meal, 3 meals a day, but most of the food was bland or had some strange sauces on it that weren't too good. Paradise and Salvador's had a great dinner atmosphere but the food overall was pretty average there. Definitely listen to all the folks here on the site and get some sexy coffee while you are there - very tasty and the presentation is very cool!

I noticed breakfast was fine most of the time, with Bella Vista offering fruit pancakes almost every day, which I thought were pretty good. Paradise offers a buffet every day, which was pretty average. Lunches it is good to eat at the Breeze bar b/c they make very good Mahi Mahi sandwiches. The Breeze also has veggie/cheese sushi from about 6 PM - 12 AM. We ate at Bella Vist 2 times for dinner and it wasn't very good.

FRONT DESK STAFF were not very friendly and really didn't do a good job at anything. They were rude/inattentive to my wife and/or myself several times. At one point we were trying to change out a $50 traveler's cheque to pesos so we could go into town and they said "we ran out of pesos." There is a store 50 ft from the front desk and I said, "could you please go to the store and get some pesos for us, we'd like to go to town." The girl then replied, "no, you'll just need to wait 15 minutes until I can get around to it." Now, we're fairly easy to please but that was pretty rude. Finally we had to accept less money and come back when we got back from town and get the rest of our money then. Also Mario who works at the front desk is consistently rude. It was like he was on a mission to do so. There was a mixup with Funjet, as they said there would be an upgrade to an ocean front room (bigger, better view) if you booked an ocean view room. I talked to Mario and he said, "did you pay for an ocean front?" And I explained it would be an upgrade per Funjet, and he said "well, that's availability based and we don't have availability." I asked if they would have some later in the week and he said maybe. I stopped by a couple days later and he just said, "Nope, we don't have" I'm not sure if this was a Funjet problem or a CP problem, but a little courtesy would have been nice. We also talked to about 6 other guests who had been promised upgrades by Funjet and did not get them - so watch out for this if you book through Funjet.

THE WATER SITUATION was ridiculous. They ran out of bottled water at the front desk by about 9:30 every day, and frankly it was tough as heck to get them to bring you any refills on water at the restaurants. One time in the restaurant I ordered a beer and 2 waters for myself. The beer came with no water and I said "2 waters please". About 5 minutes later the waiter came again and I said "2 waters please." About 5 minutes later he came with 1 water so I'm thinking "I ordered 6 waters and got 1." Now here's what got me a little steamed about it. They offer bottled water in their gift shop for 80 pesos (75 cents) and somehow they never run out there. Hmmm - a little strange don't you think? We never bought any but there were a ton of people who were buying 4 or 5 a day. It was pretty obvious that they were forcing you to buy their bottled water in the convenience store when they were supposed to be offering it for free, and I feel that is a bit dishonest.

CONSTRUCTION was going on at Playa Del Oro, which Crown Paradise also owns, and some of it was a bit unsightly. While we were there they were installing toilets, and there were about 200 of them piled up on 2 of the Tennis Courts at CP that were not in use. Again - this didn't ruin anything by any means, but not the type of thing you would expect from a "5 star" resort. They should be able to store them in an area that isn't right "in your face."

ROOM SERVICE ranged from good to bad. The good is that it would come eventually. The bad is that even though one time it came within 20 minutes, another 2 times it took over an hour and then still another time it never came at all. There is a card you can put out on your doorknob prior to 3 AM and they will bring you breakfast in a 30-minute window, and this was the service we used that never ended up coming.

OVERALL a nice place, with a few things that can be changed to make it into a great place. This would have easily gotten a "4 out of 5" if the food was at least consistently better than average, but like others said before me - the food just isn't that great.

Separate from the Crown Paradise, I thought I'd recommend a couple of excursions. We went on the Canopy Tour de los Veranos and had a fantastic time. The list price is $70 US but we got it for $60 per person by haggling with Charlie, the Funjet rep, and paying him in cash. You can also book through their website at www.canopytours-vallarta.com for about $63.

We also went on the Isis which was probably our favorite thing we did the whole time we were there. I can't remember the name of the company, but just tell the excursion reps you want to go on the Isis for snorkeling to the Marietas islands and they can hook you up. This tour is $60 per person and includes continental breakfast, lunch (which was delicious) snorkeling, a trip to the beach on the Marietas, and beer/mixed drinks on the beach and on the trip home. The staff on the boat is great and really makes it a nice trip. I found this web site by googling Isis, and you can see what the tour takes you on
Also, eat dinner at a place called El Panorama in town. It was great! Make sure you get reservations if you go in the "on season" which is January - May. My wife and I went at Sunset and saw perhaps the best sunset we have ever seen in our lives. The food was great, service was great, and the mariachi bands (there were 2) were great. El Panorama is not on the main strip, it is up a side road. You can ask anyone in town how to get there. It is on the 8, 9, and 10th floors of a hotel and you can see in all directions the beauty of Puerto Vallarta.

I know this is a lot of info - but I figure someone out there will be able to use it! We had a great time in Puerto Vallarta. The Crown Paradise was nice, however it's "5 star rating" is probably more like a 3 1/2 star. Overall a fantastic vacation, and we will definitely return to Puerto Vallarta someday.

Adios, Amigos!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank wolfchewie1975
Arlington, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2004

We just returned from a week at the Crown Paradise on Friday, July 9th. I had read all the reviews leading up to our departure, so I felt that I knew what to expect.

We were happy with our room. The maid service was excellent. Even though the maids don't speak much English, we were able to request extra towels, etc. without a problem.

We were pleased with our meals. Service is sometimes a little slow, but hey, you're on vacation and shouldn't be in a hurry. If the waiter didn't understand English, he would get another waiter with better English to understand your question.

We ate at both Paradise and Salvador's 5 of the 7 nights. All you need to do is check the menu at the Activity Desk and pick your favorite. We were able to get reservations every night. The service was great and the food was very good.

I think that if anyone has a problem here, it's because they are too hard to please. My hubby is pretty picky about things but he really enjoyed himself here.

We were not bothered by timeshare people. The beach vendors are relentless but move on when you say no, gracias.

This really appeared to be a place for couples. I wouldn't recommend it to singles, as there weren't many. I'd read reviews that the crowd was older but I saw many young couples.

All in all, we had a great time. We took a city tropical tour and the guide, Ruben, was very informative.

I wouldn't be afraid to recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed July 2004
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Crazynoodle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2004

The Resort was very nice and the staff was very friendly. We had reserved a King bed, but upon arrival they only had a room with two full size beds. We stayed in that room the first night and then swiched rooms the second night. The all-inclusive part was nice (especially if you drink alot), but the food was definately sub-par. I had horrible heart burn the whole trip. We went out to dinner in Puerto Vallarta at PiPi's and had a fabulous meal (especially compared to the crap we'd been eating all week) I'm not sure if I'd go back (FYI, take your beach towels down to reserve beach chairs by 8 or 9 am or you won't have a chair for the day. No sleeping in here!)

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2004

We've never been to an all-inclusive ocean-front resort, but have traveled alot in the US and Europe. Just had to write a little about all the negatives I read before our trip (6-12-04) and after, to see if they were justified. I think the ones who wrote so stongly about the negatives were just looking too hard. We've taken a train--Chgo-Denver in October and got caught in a blizzard where everything was shut down. Still, in it was kinda fun. Depends on how you look at it. A little construction work, hey, they're building, waiting for a meal?--don't we all at some time? I have no real criticism of the CP. It was really nice. The staff works really hard, the food is great, the beer--OK, I like Miller Lite, the first 'SOL'--?? the next one, put a lime in it, and thereafter, fine. You're in Mexico! The hotel is super clean, the in-room safe let us leave those important US docs and extra $$$ in a safe place when we went out or to the pool. The time share people, as long as you know that's who they are, don't bother you that much, plus, if you're willing, you could probably get a good deal. I thought those 'pesty' beach vendors were quite entertaining. If I didn't want to be bothered, they didn't, when I did, it was fun, and bought stuff, too. Saves hauling souvenirs from the downtown area. The chairs by the pool and beach are relaxing. Just 2 things, men need long pants and dress shoes for the restaurants, capris are okay for the ladies. And, tho we just turned into our 50's (and have 3 sons who have been to Cancun, Cabo, Mayan Riviera, one who is going to PV this month) this is not one of those MTV places with the thongs, tho there are people of all ages. Anyone can 'fit in'. But I wouldn't go there if I were 20 and wanted 'to party' all night. Saving the best for last: we're used to sight-seeing, not relaxing, so after a day of relaxing, or doing a tour or flea mkt., after dinner and drinks, the nightly shows across the street, which are included, are great. And something to look forward to. This, I believe, is the #1 PLUS for a hotel. Someone wrote that they're 'so-so'--NOT. Some nites are better than others, so stick around for the next. You won't believe all the energy and costumes on stage from the same people working at the pool during the day. The best ones were in the beginning of the week, they had some 'inter-active' stuff that was sooo funny, but all were good. Just wanted to let anyone that decided on the CP not to get discouraged by those 'complaints', as I got, after booking our vacation, then reading them. Opps, my husband reminded me about the other reason why we chose this hotel--room service. You get hungry, late, just call, free room service. And they bring more than enough!!! One last thing, there is no such thing as 'pedestrian right-of-way' in PV. Watch your step off the curb! Have a good time!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2004

First of all let me say I've been to Mexico before and was not expecting a 4 star hotel by LA's standards. However- after reading all the positive reviews on this board before going I have to wonder what people are willing to put up with. Here's the good, the bad and the ugly in my humble opinion.
When we checked into our room we found the floors soaking wet. My boyfriend nearly broke his neck slipping. When I called downstairs to tell them they asked me what I'd like them to do about it. ?????? How about mopping it up?
The first morning we woke up to find tiny little bugs swarming all over the nightstand. That continued the rest of the trip despite the maid service and phone calls to the front desk. Friends of ours staying there said they woke up with bug bites the one night they didn't apply bug spray before going to sleep.
The marble bath that people rave about is mildewy and colored in a way to camouflage the dirt- I stuck with showers. Also, the bathroom is really dark- so ladies- go easy on the make-up.
We had an oceanview room and the view was really pretty. We hardly spent any time in the room but when we did, we were on the deck. The bed is a cement block. End of story. We just had a few cocktails every night so we could dull our senses. And speaking of cocktails- yes, they have top shelf liquor- and yes, they water it down folks. The Bacardi and the vodka are definitely diluted. Also, just for giggles, order a mojito once. It's the furthest thing from a mojito you could imagine.
As far as food goes, if I had to return I'd eat at the Bellavista for all meals except for the Paradise breakfast buffet. Salvador's and Paradise (at night) were such a joke! One night, and I'm not kidding here, there really was a fly in my soup. They have the same exact food and they call it different things. We ate at Paradise the first night and Salvador's the second- it was the same food. The only difference was, Paradise gives you a sesame seed roll w/ butter and Salvador's gives you a cheese danish! The same ones they serve for breakfast! :) It was hilarious. To think that they have a dress code just cracks me up.
On a lighter note, the pool area was nice and the staff were very attentive. We really enjoyed the Breeze Bar and watched the sunsets (and sometimes storms) from there. 5 words for you though- WHAT WAS IN THAT SUSHI? Cheese? Most definitely not fish. We ordered burgers and chicken wings and ate them over there and were very content. Alfonso was a sweetie and went above and beyond the call of duty.
The ocean was warm, calm and for the most part clean. Yes there are vendors, but don't let that ruin your beach time. They do take no for an answer. We took 2 excursions and really enjoyed seeing what PV had to offer outside of the resort. I highly recommend taking the Cielito Lindo boat cruise- that was the highlight of my trip. I love the Mexican people and the Mexican culture and wish I had more time to explore.
So in a nutshell, we had a great time despite the speedbumps we encountered. I loved that it was adults only and everybody was very friendly. However, I don't think I would return for the simple fact that I got stuck in the elevator. That is not cool. Under any circumstances. When I told the front desk about it they said they would get maintenance right over there- but a couple hours later I heard another woman saying she got stuck. No thanks- not for me.
Make sure you know what to expect before going and you won't be disappointed!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member