“Great Stay!”

Ranked #44 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed at the Golden Crown Paradise the last week of November. The trip was arranged by Tripcentral (http://www.tripcentral.ca) in conjunction with Air Transat/Nolitours - 'hats off' to Diane and firm for the helpful advice and flawless arrangements.

Smooth flight down on a new A330 with attentive service. The resort is located right on the beach and is a short taxi ride ($6) from the centre of Puerto Vallarta - nice for strolling the Malecón and admiring all the statues and art work as well as checking out galleries and dinning in the Zone Romantica. Also recommend having lunch at the Marina (other direction and a $5 taxi ride).

Our room on the 5th floor overlooking the pool was very spacious and clean. Started the day with breakfast (can choose buffet with cooked-to-order omlettes or order from the menu). Had most lunches in town or on some of the excursions we booked. On Saturday we had a very nice dinner at the Sans Souci (in the sister resort next door), followed by similar good food and service at Salvadors and the Paradise. Highly recommend Salvadors - the Manager (Raul) and the wait staff were as professional as I've experienced in travelling the world. In fact, the entire staff of the hotel provided excellent service and always with a smile - they are to be commended for their hard work and efforts to provide guests an enjoyable vacation.

Guest at the resort were drawn from Canada, US and Mexico that gave it a nice vive and relaxed atmosphere.

There is nightly entertainment although we prefered to have a glass of wine at the cabana bar overlooking the beach and watch the sun set over the bay. The selection of other drinks was wide with quality brands offered.

We booked a few excursions through Vallarta-Adventures - Rhythms of the Night (very romantic dinner setting in secluded cove followed by a Mayan-themed Cirque du Soleil type show); trip to the town of San Sebastien founded in 1610 (lunch in a idyllic setting); and an evening sail boat cruise with canapes and wine). All 3 were enjoyable and great value.

All in all, the Golden Crown Paradise offers a excellent venue for a relaxing and enjoyable vacation.

Ron (Ottawa, Canada)

2 Thank ronkane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have been to this resort 3 previous times and noticed a lapse of maintenance each time, but did not put much weight on it. On our 4th trip in September/November 2013, the place was a disaster. Our elevator did not work during the entire 10 night stay. Not a huge deal, but when your room is on the 6th floor.

Overall it has always been an average hotel. However it is located in a great place, nice staff (previously) and okay food(now it is dog food) and the drinks have always been watered down.

Do not go to this resort unless you want rowdy people from Guadalajara there Friday - Sunday, terrible service Monday - Thursday and bad food 24/7.

I suggest for a little more go to the new Hilton which is right next door and all-inclusive.

3 Thank Stormy4424
Fort St. John, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We just returned from 2 weeks at the Golden Crown Adults only resort. First and foremost, we had some good and bad. The majority of the bad was just due to circumstances so I don't believe its fair to related to them directly. So, if you see negative, its something I believe will affect you.

Check in: Its took on a few minutes. We were told that our room wasn't ready because of the amount of checkouts from earlier that day. ?However, they hooked us up with our bracelets and we went to the bar for about 45 minutes. We checked in on a sunday (more on that later). The welcome desk/information is a time share deal; they'll try to get you on a list to do a timeshare presentation. Politely tell them no thank you and they'll leave you alone if you're not interested in a time share.

Rooms: They're becoming dated but all I've ever wanted or excepted was a clean room and the maids did a great job throughout our entire stay. We stayed in a standard 8th floor ocean view and found the rooms to be on the small side with no sitting area, but its fair to note that we knew that before we booked. The patio area is awesome. Million Dollar views from any of the decks in the resort! Here's the negative about the rooms. They don't have a mini fridge. Again, we knew this before we booked but I'll tell you, once you're there for just a few days you want a fridge for some cold beers without having to go down to the bar.

Elevators: They were being serviced and upgraded throughout our stay but never had both of them down at the same time. In fact, even waiting for elevators didn't create any issues.

The Pool Bar: The service around the pool was amazing with Wendy serving us with a smile on her face. She is deserving of a special shout out for excellent service. Don't forget to tip your servers if they give you great service. The pool bar, we always had amazing service.

The Pub Bar: Service was good and they were always happy and friendly. The beer itself wasn't great I would have enjoyed corona more, but it was drinkable and cold! The mixed drinks were great.

Restaurants:
Snack Bar by the pool: Excellent burgers and french fries. They put extra care and concern into the preparation
Paradise (a la carte): The food was great and as everyone has pointed out, the sexy coffee was amazing. This is a must eat at restaurant.
Normal A la Carte (no reservations required) next to the pub bar: The food was good. There was always something on the menu. There is a sea food night where you fill a bowl with all kinds of fresh sea food and they grill it up.
Buffet next door (in the Japanese restaurant): the food wasn't good at all the one and only night we went over to that resort. The selection wasn't good and there were screaming kids. Its on the family side so it was expected but we were not impressed with the buffet. However, others had been there and did have a good experience which leads me to believe it may have been an off night or we went at the tail end of service.

The pool: Excellent events through the day with basketball, polo and volleyball. There were always loungers available. There is a huge lack of shade around the pool with possibly 10-15% of the area having shade. We spent the majority of the time in the pool so it wasn't a problem for us but most people had pointed it out and I'll confirm it.

The beach: Beautiful! This is where I'd of enjoyed extra shade. Yes there are beach vendors. In some cases there were a lot of them. The resort did attempt at installing a rope but its not respected by the vendors. I personally just said no thank you unless there was something we wanted. It wasn't a negative in my opinion but I can see why some were annoyed. We met a few vendors who we spoke with on a daily basis and the majority are great people! Ask for Pablo if you want to go fishing. it was a great deal.

Now for the negative that I couldn't group into any of the above:
1. The resort during the week; sunday till friday mid day is peaceful. Come friday afternoon expect to see the resort at capacity.The first weekend that we were there they had 140 (of 208 rooms) checkout on sunday and the majority would have been from that group. They fill all of the rooms for 2 days with a younger crowd just looking to party. This leaves half of the resort to deal with a party crowd, the half of the resort who has committed to longer stays; we happened to be there for 2 weeks and we just learned to plan around this and spent time away from the resorts during friday and saturdays.
2. The construction next door: Its there and its real. We didn't notice is except for 1 night where it sounded like they were using an air gun and also when they put tile down the shoots to clean up the old materials. So let me be clear, on the adults only side it wasn't a problem.

The big question is whether we would go back? Well, we heard they were planning a renovation in the next year or two. We won't consider going back unless the reno hadn't been started or until after it was complete. But, yes we would go back based on how we were treated and the level of service. Over the years of traveling we've discovered that every resort no matter what star its rated comes with pros and cons. If you're coming to this resort expecting for the food to be just like home and the beds to sleep like your own; you'll be disappointed. If you're coming to have a good time and enjoy the resort and Puerto Vallarta, this might be the place for you.

Thanks to everyone for the great time!

Room Tip: email the resort asking for a higher floor with a better view prior to your arrival.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mexicanturbo
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Chief Concierge at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear mdhammer:

First of all, I want to thank you for your review. It is very rewarding to have such a wonderful and just review about our hotel and our service. We are working to improve ourselves every day and offer different and better amenities.
The comments and concerns of our guests are always important for us, that's why your review was passed to our GM.
I invite you to follow us on Facebook and twitter where you can see all our news and promos.
Thanks again for all your comments, we will wait for you to welcome you at your home away from home.

Minneapolis
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Just got back from a week stay at GCP. My third time there. Weather was great. Food was good. Drinks were good. Activities were OK. It did not seem as crowded as past years, though on the weekend it did fill up with the help of many local Mexicans. There was renovation work going on in the ocean front room area right above our room. They were hammering the floor or wall or something up there from 815 am til 8pm every day. If you are at the pool you cant hear it though. Heard a bit of noise when on the beach. One day the TV signal went out in our room and did not come back on for about 12 hours . I wish the towel hut opened earlier in the morning and stayed open later. It does not open til 9am and it closed at 530 pm though sunset is not til 630pm. Service was good in the restaurants and pool. i liked the Italian one the best. The beds were decent and they were actually bringing in new mattresses to many rooms the first couple of days we were there. There so called ocean view rooms should really be called partial ocean view since that is what they really are. We booked ocean front rooms this year which give a full ocean view and private balcony. I wish they would have Pacifico and Corona beer but they dont except on the Crown paradise side, which makes no sense to me. The bars ran out of Absolut vodka for one day . There is a decent mix of folks there but does skew to the older side ,40 yrs and up, but i suppose they have more money and time on their hands. Enjoyed playing volleyball several times but it was sometimes hard to find enough folks to play. It is a nice place, not great, not bad. I may return next year though the price has gone up more than i would like in each of the last 2 years and is nearing the point which would make me consider other hotels and or cities.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear D_____Mpls:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Also, I want to thank you to keep coming back to our hotel; that means we are doing things right. Your opinion is important for us, so we can continue working on improve.

I invite you to follow us on facebook and twitter so you can know what is new with us and the promos we have.

We hope that you consider this destination again for your next vacations, we will be pleased to warmly welcome you in this your home away from home.

Del Rio
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Golden Crown Paradise Resort Review
11/23/13-11/30/13

I look at value for what I paid. I do not except a 5 star resort when I did not pay for a 5 star.

Overall I would give it a 2 ½ to a 3 stars
At the moment because of all the construction that is happening.

Value 4 star for what we paid

Rooms for Value 4 stars

Location 5 stars

Swimming in Ocean 5 stars
After we found out to go swimming by the peninsula in front of the Crown Paradise Resort not the Gold Crown Paradise Resort. Which is also right there not far at all.

Clean Beach 4 stars

Pool 3 star
Because the MUSIC IS TO LOUD!!!!!! And I wonder if resort is full if pool would be large enough

Buffet Food 2 stars

Service Buffet Food 4 ½ stars

Snack Bars 4 ½ stars
Food was good if you just wanted to grab a snack while at pool

Snack Bar Service 5 stars

Service at Pool for Drinks 5 stars

Restaurant Food 5 stars
We did not have a bad meal in the restaurant in the evening did not go to one during the day

Restaurant Service 5 stars
We had 2 glasses of red wine spilled as we were going to get our salad one evening. The wine was all over the table, all over dishes, across seat of chair. By the time we got back with salads they were totally ready for us to sit back down. I could not believe they cleaned up all the mess that fast

Condition of Hotel Rooms 3 stars
It needs updating in furniture but otherwise room was fine

Clean Rooms 5 stars

Vendors keep coming around but just say NO NO NO and they will leave

Shows 3 stars
We went to 3 shows. One was a game I could play in my living room. It had one person on stage and people had to guess movies from the song they played. Come on people that is not a show for a resort. I understand you can not put on a big production every night but this. Get someone up on stage to do magic or comedy. I feel also do something for they kids than for the adults. Adults are the one paying to go to this resort not the kids. The other 2 shows we saw were GREAT, so I know you can do some good shows.

My main complaint was we were on 6 floor ocean front it was just beautiful. But they had 2 elevators to this area and one we were told one has been broken for a long time. So forget about that one. The other one works some of the time. They are redoing the pent house and the construction people are using the PAYING GUEST elevator
as a construction elevator.
They were taking wheel barrels of dirt, bags of cement, ceramic title, up in our elevator.
It wasn’t bad enough they were breaking the elevator all the time but when it was working we had to wait for them to unload it at the pent house. DO NOT STAY OCEAN FRONT TILL CONSTRUCTION IS DONE!!!!!!!! WE ARE PAYING GUEST AND SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS!!!!!!

I will say what they have redone so far is very nicely done and if they continue as they are it will be very nice resort when finished.

I could not believe how many people we talked to that have been coming to this resort for years. Some as many a 35 years. So that has to say something for the resort.

Rhythms of the Night is a must see. 5 star all the way. Expensive but well worth the money!!!!!

2 Thank Cindy P
Dear Cindy P:

First of all, thank you to make this complete review about our hotel. It is very important to have different perspectives from our guests. We value your opinion and this was shared with our GM to solve your concerns. I would like to inform you that shows are for both hotels, Golden Crown and our sister property Crown Paradise Club (which is for families), so we try to make shows during all week for adults and children. Our goal is to make everyone amused. We are sorry if your expectations were different.

We do maintenance in all rooms because we want them to be functional and comfortable.

We are very sorry you found our elevator broken; gladly, is already fixed and working very well. I am sorry about the inconveniences because of the construction, fortunately this will over soon.

We invite you to come back next year and enjoy all the added values we have also the service we have at the hotel.

Thanks again for all your comments, it is very important to have this feedback.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Me and my girlfriend returned from PV about a week ago. This resort is one of those pay for what you get places. The hotel is not new looking at all and i felt as though the pictures online were extremely photo shopped. The best part about the resort we found was the service, drinks and food (except the room service food, gross). The Restaurant Paradise was the best, food was stellar and you will not need to worry about running to the bathroom every ten minutes. We're a 26 year old couple and this resort was definately an older resort in the sense that we were pretty much the only young people there aside from a few others whom we met. The one thing we found extremely disturbing was the resort is going through massive renovations, and we had a 6th floor oceanfront room and every morning at 9am all we heard was drilling above us which was shaking the walls and definately not something you want to wake up to. We knew there was construction going on from the reviews but not to the extent where im standing in an elevator with two mexicans with wheelbarrows full of debris and concrete. We also understand every resort goes through this but it was bad. We travel from Canada for a vacation and we want to relax, not feel like were at home in the city. Also, being that we were on the 6th floor, all the elevators for the oceanfront rooms were out of service probably half the time we were there, and there were 80 year old couples being expected to pretty much walk up 6 floors, which we went and complained for them because we felt extremely bad and obviously nothing was done. The oceanfront rooms are kind of overrated and the other rooms had pretty much the same view so the upgrade really isnt worth it. We met great people and did have a nice time, but we will definately choose another resort next time. Some resorts also try to accomodate you by preventing vendors from coming up to you on the beach, i know its the norm down there however this part of the beach was very bad, literally every two seconds, even if you're mid conversation with someone they came right in our face, no joke. Also not everyone in the resort speaks English which okay its fine i understand were in Mexico, however when the entire resort is predominately American and Canadian people, you would expect that there wouldn't be 8 out of 10 people not being able to understand what you're saying. The beach view, the service, the people and our trips into downtown were the reason our stay in PV was great, but next time we will definately stay somewhere else. If you're a couple going on a romantic trip or looking for a younger crowd, i wouldn't recommend this place as its predominately people over 50 or 60. I hate to give this place a negative review because the people, the service (especially pool side) and the food in the restaurants were absolutely great. But the renovations and the relaxation part of it made the vacation not so relaxing. I booked a romantic dinner for my girlfriend on the beach at 8pm and during the dinner all i heard was drilling and skill saw's going off, and yes i said 8pm (ridiculous). Hope this review helps and again this is just me being honest to help people make the best of there vacation. And for anyone who reviews who says the food sucked, you either have no taste buds or are lieing. Thanks

1 Thank Kurtis B
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Chief Concierge at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Kurtis B:

Thank your for taking some of your valuable time to share your experience with us. I am sorry that we weren't the hotel you expected. I gladly inform you that we have the elevators working properly now and we are working in your other concerns so we can have a better service to all our guests.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your vacations the way you deserve. Also, I would like to invite you to give us a second chance to show you the real great service and quality we have which makes that we have many guests coming back every year.

Thanks again for your comments and we would be happy to welcome you back and make this place your home away from home.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This hotel was at one time my favorite place to stay in Puerto Vallarta. The management and ownership has changed that opinion.

I recommended this place to a relative who was meeting me and who had never stayed inPV. When we arrived we were told that the elevators were not working but would be repaired the next day. The next day was actually three days later and then promptly broke down again.

My room had no towels or toiletries. I called the front desk only to be informed I would have to wait until the next morning to get these items when the maid staff arrives at 10 a.m.

There were positives. The wait staff tried to be timely with orders etc. However, they were so understaffed that often times there was a long wait to get your food. The Paradise Restaurant is still a positive.

It is truly disappointing how this spot has deteriorated in such a short time. The facilities were not overly clean like previous stays, the Bar Tenders at The Pub Bar did their best job of ignoring non-Spanish speaking guests, the equipment in the gym was broken down and the pool is in need of some much needed maintenance.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Rrickjon
Dear Rrickjon:

First of all thank you for coming back to our hotel and being a loyal guest. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay this time. All your concerns are very important to us, they were passed to the GM and we are working on it so won't happen again.

I would like to ask you to give us a second chance so we can show you the real service that you know already, the one made you choose us every vacation to Puerto Vallarta.

Thanks again for taking some of your time to share your experiences with us. We will be glad to have you again in your home away from home.