“My 81 year old Mom & I had a wonderful time at the Golden Crown!”

Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #41 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Mom & I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Golden Crown in PV, adults only side. The staff were friendly and helpful and Mom had no trouble getting around in her walker. There were ramps and elevators throughout the complex and lots of clean washrooms. We especially enjoyed the large jacuzzi pool with swim-up bar where we met our friends on a daily basis. I always felt safe at the resort and would even enjoy a nightcap at the bar after Mom retired. Being a woman alone, this could be a risky venture... But I never had a problem and met many interesting travelers. The only problem we had was going on a sunset cruise. While nothing terrible happened, we did not feel safe. Book your cruises through the hotel, not beach or street vendors!
We are planning our next trip and will return to the Golden Crown.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Janine E
Write a ReviewReviews (2,628)

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We chose the Golden Crown Paradise based on a recommendation from our travel agent. We got a great deal from Costco Travel but then started reading the reviews and got nervous. People seem to either love it or hate it. We were in the latter camp - here are some helpful tips to make your stay better if you are in the same boat. (Caveat: we stayed at a full five-star all-inclusive in Cancun last year, plus we live in Seattle surrounded by incredible restaurants and great wine, which definitely contributes to our two-star rating of GCP.)

Airport/Transfer – the transfer was included in the Costco package. Easy to avoid the shark tank, just keep walking until you are almost outside. I actually walked all the way outside and the husband had to run after me when he found the Gray Line representative, who got us a taxi immediately. Meet the Gray Line rep the next morning at the hotel to book your return transfer. They may try to sell you a tour – do it!

Check in – nothing special. They brought us a cool drink. We had upgraded to the jacuzzi room, and it was ready. The wifi charge was a bit obscene at $75 US a week, but we had brought both our ipad’s and figured it was worth it. We had pre-paid for our trip, of course, so I found it amusing that they wanted us to pay for the wifi up front with a credit card. They don’t give you a map of the resort (it’s pretty small, but I found it a little confusing to get around), and NO RESTAURANT GUIDE! Anything telling us the food options up front would have been nice.

Room – the room was clean and somewhat spacious. The view was absolutely incredible with a spectacular view of the ocean and a balcony. There were towel swans on the bed, and a nice note from the manager wishing us well on our anniversary. (Addressed to Mr. and Mr., we are heterosexual with different last names but a plus that they are so welcoming of gay couples!) There was a mini fridge which was empty. They supply 2 bottles of water per day and charge 10 pesos for extra. There was no robe and slippers as promised in our package – we asked the front desk the next day and got a robe but no slippers. The floor is tile and a bit cold…and very sandy after the first day. The maid service was reliable for us – we generally spent all day out so we didn’t notice if they came late or not. We left $2 US per day, but no more swans and sometimes even no clean water glasses. I don’t think there is an ice machine – I think you have to order from room service.

Food – we absolutely hated the food at the resort. First of all, it was really hard to figure out where we could eat and what was open. Eventually we figured out the GCP restaurants Paradise and Salvadore’s which require reservations, the casual dining restaurants Bella Vista and Los Gallos, and the poolside grill and the Beach Breeze Bar. You also receive 2 green coupons that get you a reservation at the restaurants at the sister resort Crown Paradise: the French, Japanese, and Italian restaurants. You have to make same-day reservations at Paradise, Salvadore’s, and the three at CP, which entail getting up in the morning and lining up at 9am or before to get a good time. Basically most of the food is awful. The reservations restaurants are all pretty bad, but the Japanese one is putrid. Don’t waste your time…the menu is horrific. Or go if you like “Oriental Cheese Balls” or Faux Sushi. In desperation I asked for *real* fish and I think they might have been willing to bring me smoked salmon but we decided to leave. Most people loved the French restaurant, and we heard the Italian restaurant was good. Definitely get the “Sexy Coffee” available at Salvadore’s or Paradise, which is out of this world! There is a dress code for the restaurants…we dressed in cocktail attire but were somewhat overdressed. They had great pork tacos at the pool grill. The beach bar had OK paninis but the “sushi” was horrible. Lots of rice and indistinguishable vegetables and faux cream cheese. Yikes! About 6 days in, we figured out that they had seatings at 6:30, 7, 8:45, and 9:30…I think that was why the reservations filled up so quickly. Remember if you have reservations at 6:30 you will miss the sunset! We went to Soriano’s, a large grocery store very close to the resort to stock up on water, cheese, meat and crackers also. The room service was pretty awful – picture a sketchy bar and their happy hour menu. Food was pretty dry and inedible. My favorite meal was breakfast – the breakfast buffet at Bella Vista was OK and they had a wonderful omelet station where you could get eggs cooked to order. You could also order off the menu in the outdoor seating and they had a rotating breakfast menu with a couple of authentic Mexican breakfast items (Oaxaca eggs & tamales etc.). However, it is really sporadic…one of the guests loved the eggs benedict so I ordered it the next day. However my eggs were poached HARD and the hollandaise was under a heat lamp so long it was practically scrambled. But overall we are foodies so there you go.

Pool/beach – there was one large pool that we enjoyed. However, getting one of the beach chairs was sometimes a challenge. You could definitely get up early and put your towel down on one before 9am to get a great spot. Inevitably it seemed I would do this and be surrounded by smokers…Mexican locals, Americans and Canadians alike! As an ex-smoker I’m a bit sensitive and it was tough to ignore. The beach was very nice and not rocky. There were chaise lounges but for those you really had to be out by 7am to get a good spot. Everything you have read about the vendors is true, and it is also true with a pleasant “no, gracias” they will move on. There were so many, and they would come to the Beach Breeze Bar as well. The water in the pool and the ocean was wonderful and a highlight of the trip. Although, there was no lifeguard and it was a bit hard to tell whether there was a red flag up.

Tipping – since we knew we were going to be comparing to a five-star resort, we decided up front we would tip generously, even though gratuities are supposedly “included”. We tipped the maid (all US) $2 per day, $1 per drink, and $2-5 for dinner. In my opinion the service was pretty spotty all around, and if we hadn’t tipped at all I sensed we would get the same service. Our room was cleaned but nothing special. The wait to get a drink by the pool was very spotty to the point of being ignored. Perhaps we weren’t tipping enough?

Activities – they seemed to have several activities although we didn’t participate much. I think there was a daily list of activities but since we didn’t take the elevator we didn’t know what was happening. There was water volleyball and seemed to be other events like paddleboarding or yoga although we didn’t observe them. There is a “nightclub”, Club Nitro which you can go to as part of the resort each night. We only went once for the Magic night which was cute. The activities staff work in the morning, take reservations and then you can see them perform at Club Nitro so I’m not sure when they got a break!

Tours – definitely do the 2 for 3 tours with Outdoor Vallarta. We did the Las Caletas excursion – very relaxing with snorkeling, cooking paella, seeing monkeys and parrots, nature hike, etc. I would do the Rhythm of the Night tour (also on Las Caletas…do these on different days), and a ziplining tour. I suppose you can get a discounted price or free if you do the horrible time share presentation, or find a cheaper bargain but we paid full price ($93US per person) and it was worth it. The tours pretty much include everything including all the drinks.

Downtown PV – simply the best part of our vacation. A bus to the Malecon was 6.5 pesos and a bargain, and the taxi is $5US. Walking around seeing the art, culture, food and vibrancy of PV was wonderful. We went several times, and since I’m a bridge player I played bridge at the PV Bridge Club located in Oscar’s Restaurant. If we had to do it over again, we’d get a condo in downtown PV eat cheaply and deliciously every night downtown.

Safety – we travelled right after the cruise ship passengers were robbed at gunpoint. I felt completely safe the whole time we were there, and loved going downtown even at night. There is a safe in the room which we used and is big enough for both our iPads and wallets etc. I was incredibly careless and left my 10k wedding ring in the room one time when I went to breakfast. After I remembered I ran back to the room and saw that the maid was already there cleaning, but my ring was right where I left. The last night we went for a walk after dark on the beach, and I left my nike flip flops on one of the beach chaise lounge chairs. We came back and the hubby’s cheap flip flops were still there but mine were gone…think some locals were walking the beach and took them. Well much rather the flip flops than the wedding ring LOL!

Weather – we were there from 3/2 – 3/9, and the weather was PERFECT the entire time. Sunny, glorious, and 80+ every day. The sunsets were glorious and romantic.

Gym – we didn’t use it, but it is pretty tiny!

City tour – we didn’t go. Sounds like it is kind of a waste of time if you are planning to go downtown and explore by yourself. I heard there was a Tequila factory that might have been fun. But not enough to be on a bus for 6-8 hours held captive with an expensive lunch you have to pay for.

Check out – we didn’t owe anything at check out, I really liked that this place was truly all-inclusive and we didn’t need to spend any additional money other than tips and souvenirs and tours. We tried to extend our check out by 2 hours, but when I asked at the front desk he said there were people waiting to check into our room (and I believed him!). We left our bags with the bellboy in the courtesy room and there was no problem, and there were showers in the room also.

Overall – we will not return but we can see how some couples enjoy it. For us, the bad food, crowded pool area, beach crawling with vendors, and so-so attitude of the staff turned us off. (This trip was during March 2012.)

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gerbera222
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear gerbera222:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Is very important that we know what your perception about our hotel is, also helps us to know our areas to improve.

I am really sorry that you couldn't experience the real warm welcoming from our staff. We have a very high number of returning guests because of our staff, they are very friendly and we try to make everyone feel like home.

Your comments are very important to us, that's why they were shared with the GM to follow-up.

We invite you to give us a second chance to feel the real warmth and friendliness of our staff , also the true quality of our services. We will make you feel as in your home away from home.

Kind Regards,
Maricruz Montes

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We just came back from a fun trip at the GCP. We had a blast there was a large group (16 of us total) it was wonderful. There were a couple of things that I was a little dissappointed about. Being this was my 5th time back.. I expected the same service as before. So when it did not happen I did feel a little well.. I dont want to say put off.. but more like hmmm what happened? Again not a big deal, still a great time but here are the things we were used.

1. When our group arrived we were not greated with the fruity drink or towel as in the past(and they knew well in advance we were coming. I even sent out a reminder the day before just so they would be prepared for a large group coming in ) however, the groups that arrived after us did receive that. After a long flight and the heat that would have been nice.

2. Our air conditioner was not working.. it needed to be repaired and even after the repair it was not as cool as we would have liked it to be.

3. On my husbands birthday last time there was a little pastry with happy birthday waiting in the room. This time there was not.

4. There was no sign outside my door that said Casa Rodriguez as in the past.

5. The only working elevator for our tower ended up breaking down and going up and down 5 flights of stairs in the heat.. not bueno. Luckily it was fixed pretty quickly and we only needed to do that a couple of times

again the above stuff not a big deal and I know I sound like a spoiled brat.. but hey its a review and I want to do it in an honest way.

Now aside from that everything was perfect. The weather, the people, the food, it was amazing. Our group is already talking about doing it again!

It was a bit hot and I was litterally praying for rain.. and mother nature finally delivered late Saturday night. Not before getting burnt to a crisp friday during the day and saturday. I used sunscreen but obviously did not reapply nearly enough.

My brother and sister in law renewed their vows on the beach and it was a beautiful and the ceremony was well done.

Loved the all adult aspect of this resort. There were a lot of people there but it never felt crowded, guests and staff were all freindly. We all had a touch of an upset stomach when we got home. Perhaps the food, the sun, the drinks perhaps the tequllia flu who knows. Regarless, Good times were had all around looking forward to doing it all over again!

mental note... do not run out of sunscreen.. I ran out and had to use my friends on the last day of our trip. I was going to buy some but it was over 20.00 (USD) per bottle. I could not see me paying that much $ for something i can buy at home for 8 bucks. Luckily our group was large and unlike myself people brought more then 1 bottle. Phew thank goodness!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My cousin and I. Spent a week here in July of 2013. Our room was on the 7th floor and was more than adequate. Like everyone says you only get two bottles of water a day, but we stashed some on excursion days and we had plenty. Free room safe worked great. Wi-if at the resort is a joke, but the little bakery out the front of the resort to the right was free with a $5 purchase. We had a nice view of the beach and ocean. I wish we would have paid for beach front.

The pool is overall small and warm. We enjoyed the little time we were in there though. Side chairs poolside were easy to obtain. There was limited poolside bar service. The vendors were persistent, but not as bad as we heard it would be. We actually got a zip line tour for $40 each (10 lines).......first timers and way cool.

Bar service was great. Anything we asked for specifically we got. Pool table right by the main bar closest to the lobby. We had a blast playing, but the table is not level and people laugh at you. I will be honest and say that it bothered me at times, but there were many gay couples here. We met several of them and enjoyed talking, but the overly affectionate people (gay or otherwise) is something I do not like to watch. Bar tenders said that the gay scene was abnormally high during our stay. It wasn't bad, just new for me after being in PV so many times.

As far as the food, I liked all meals but one and that was the breakfast at the sister resort. Every place has a menu. If you don't like what's on the menu, especially at breakfast, ask for it. Bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns aren't on the menu, but if you ask for it you will get it. The lunch pork tacos are amazing.

With that said we met so many great people on the trip. That is what made the trip for us. The adult only aspect was my first and I will look for it in the future. Club Nitro across the street was very lame in our opinion. Visit the Marina for souvenirs (4 t-shirts for $20). Cruise ships aren't being let in until October I believe, which means great prices. Wal-Mart is a short walk across the street for essentials. When you pay in dollars you get pesos in exchange, but the plus is that it's at the bank rate (highest exchange possible at that exact moment). We would return.

We walked to the Malecon, but its a heck of a walk and only costs 70 pesos each way. It was a good did it once and probably never again adventure.

If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Hey, have a great vacation no matter where you go!

Room Tip: Go ocean front or ocean side (highest room possible)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ExtremeTravel17
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have visited the family side of the resort, where we spent our honeymoon, 4 times. This year, to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, we booked a stay at the Golden. It was a lovely stay in an ocean view room (#1503). Great view of the ocean, and we enjoyed sitting on the patio in the evening. Front desk, food servers, and bar staff are outstanding. Food is hit or miss, but we ate at Salvatore's twice and really enjoyed it. On the downside, it is a timeshare property, and you have to be firm with the sales staff to keep them from bothering you. Also, the loud disco music from the pool in the afternoon made it almost impossible to relax in our room. Overall, I love this place, and it's easy to get a table at the beach bar and enjoy the beautiful Puerto Vallarta sunset. If your drinks are too weak, tell the bartender how much liquor you want in them and ask them to make you a double. We'll be back.

Room Tip: We liked #1503 with an ocean view and small patio.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna_J2205
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The good: Check-in was fast, efficient and friendly. We were greeted with “Welcome Home” and cool drinks. We were in our room quickly. The room décor is dated, but clean, and the beds were very comfortable. Every room has a spectacular view. Clean towels and lounge chairs were plentiful both at the pool and at the beach. The resort is older, but kept in great shape. Every morning at 7, there were six people on the beach cleaning and raking, the pool was cleaned daily, a woman mopped and cleaned the pool area and the patio and restaurant area by the lobby, and I saw someone painting every day. Most public area cleaning was done early in the morning before most guests were up. The gym is small but well maintained and had varied equipment. The staff was ALL very friendly and tried hard to accommodate all requests. Raul at Bellavista and Paulie in Sans Soucis were our favorite waiters.

The “Needs Improving”: There are not enough loungers that are shaded. They have some frameworks with strips of cloth that provide minimal shade, but in the summer sun they are not sufficient. The activities staff does most pool activities in Spanish (or they use heavily accented English), so if you are not Spanish speaking, you are left out. The restaurant reservation system is by phone at 8 each morning. This is frustrating because you don’t know which restaurants are open. None of the restaurants have their menus or hours posted. Internet is not reliable and expensive. A $5/day option is available through a local provider, but the signal is often poor. The food in the restaurants is above average, but after a week, can become boring.

This is not a resort with a big night life. They have an evening show that is family friendly (joined with the sister resort), and afterward provide a trip into Puerto Vallarta with the staff for a fee.

This is a clean, comfortable, quiet, adults-only resort where you can relax and have a fabulous vacation. The downtown area and Malecon are easily accessible by bus (very easy) or taxi. The pool is refreshing, the staff are friendly and welcoming, the rooms are clean and comfortable with amazing views. I have been to many resorts and try not to repeat any, with the exception of this one. Thi was my fourth visit. When they staff greets you with, “Welcome Home”, I feel like I am at home.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view. The ocean view rooms overlook bith the pool and the ocean. The ocean...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ohioteacher
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This place was perfect for my boyfriend and I who went to PV for his 30th birthday. I loved that they handed us tropical drinks when we checked in.
We upgraded to the penthouse suite which is on the 7th floor with a wrap around porch facing the ocean and overlooking the pool. The view was gorgeous and the porch had a jacuzzi tub, the fridge came stocked with beers and it was very clean. Nothing super modern but really well kept and updated.
There were always cabanas and beds open on the beach and the water was an amazing temperature. The walk-up peddlers are the usual amount of annoying, but pretty standard for Mexico. And it seems like hospitality and locals alike are trying to show tourists a good time after all the hubub of the past few years. He went fishing, I got a massage on the beach and I probably drank about 24 Miami Vices. It's pretty ideal for an all out Roman Veg Sesh.
The hotel is situated right between the airport and the Malecon which is perfect. About a $4.50 cab to either and a few other clubs and restaurants are closer.
The staff are so sweet! They brought a surprise chocolate cake on my boyfriends' birthday, and were really prompt and nice with the room service.
From the snack bars to the sit down restaurants to the room service, the food was kind of plain to satisfy international palettes I'm sure, and the portions were on the smaller side (which I appreciated since vacationing tends to make me want to eat nonstop). Generally filling though and the menus change each meal/day which is nice. There are probably 5 restaurants in the hotel. The staff are accommodating if you want a little extra this or that, the bartenders are generous if you tip them :)
All in all a really fantastic value with the flights/food/drinks and all. We didn't have a problem with any noise and enjoyed watching water aerobics from our balcony in the morning (ahem, noon) each day.
If you get a chance in PV, GO TO THE ZOO. You can hold baby tigers and lions and it's in a dense gorgeous jungle. An experience I'll never forget!

Room Tip: Room 1703 was amazing, with a wraparound porch, jacuzzi tub and beer filled fridge! Its perfect for...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple