Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #44 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My cousin and I. Spent a week here in July of 2013. Our room was on the 7th floor and was more than adequate. Like everyone says you only get two bottles of water a day, but we stashed some on excursion days and we had plenty. Free room safe worked great. Wi-if at the resort is a joke, but the little bakery out the front of the resort to the right was free with a $5 purchase. We had a nice view of the beach and ocean. I wish we would have paid for beach front.

The pool is overall small and warm. We enjoyed the little time we were in there though. Side chairs poolside were easy to obtain. There was limited poolside bar service. The vendors were persistent, but not as bad as we heard it would be. We actually got a zip line tour for $40 each (10 lines).......first timers and way cool.

Bar service was great. Anything we asked for specifically we got. Pool table right by the main bar closest to the lobby. We had a blast playing, but the table is not level and people laugh at you. I will be honest and say that it bothered me at times, but there were many gay couples here. We met several of them and enjoyed talking, but the overly affectionate people (gay or otherwise) is something I do not like to watch. Bar tenders said that the gay scene was abnormally high during our stay. It wasn't bad, just new for me after being in PV so many times.

As far as the food, I liked all meals but one and that was the breakfast at the sister resort. Every place has a menu. If you don't like what's on the menu, especially at breakfast, ask for it. Bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns aren't on the menu, but if you ask for it you will get it. The lunch pork tacos are amazing.

With that said we met so many great people on the trip. That is what made the trip for us. The adult only aspect was my first and I will look for it in the future. Club Nitro across the street was very lame in our opinion. Visit the Marina for souvenirs (4 t-shirts for $20). Cruise ships aren't being let in until October I believe, which means great prices. Wal-Mart is a short walk across the street for essentials. When you pay in dollars you get pesos in exchange, but the plus is that it's at the bank rate (highest exchange possible at that exact moment). We would return.

We walked to the Malecon, but its a heck of a walk and only costs 70 pesos each way. It was a good did it once and probably never again adventure.

If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Hey, have a great vacation no matter where you go!

Room Tip: Go ocean front or ocean side (highest room possible)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ExtremeTravel17
Write a ReviewReviews (2,513)

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have visited the family side of the resort, where we spent our honeymoon, 4 times. This year, to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, we booked a stay at the Golden. It was a lovely stay in an ocean view room (#1503). Great view of the ocean, and we enjoyed sitting on the patio in the evening. Front desk, food servers, and bar staff are outstanding. Food is hit or miss, but we ate at Salvatore's twice and really enjoyed it. On the downside, it is a timeshare property, and you have to be firm with the sales staff to keep them from bothering you. Also, the loud disco music from the pool in the afternoon made it almost impossible to relax in our room. Overall, I love this place, and it's easy to get a table at the beach bar and enjoy the beautiful Puerto Vallarta sunset. If your drinks are too weak, tell the bartender how much liquor you want in them and ask them to make you a double. We'll be back.

Room Tip: We liked #1503 with an ocean view and small patio.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna_J2205
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The good: Check-in was fast, efficient and friendly. We were greeted with “Welcome Home” and cool drinks. We were in our room quickly. The room décor is dated, but clean, and the beds were very comfortable. Every room has a spectacular view. Clean towels and lounge chairs were plentiful both at the pool and at the beach. The resort is older, but kept in great shape. Every morning at 7, there were six people on the beach cleaning and raking, the pool was cleaned daily, a woman mopped and cleaned the pool area and the patio and restaurant area by the lobby, and I saw someone painting every day. Most public area cleaning was done early in the morning before most guests were up. The gym is small but well maintained and had varied equipment. The staff was ALL very friendly and tried hard to accommodate all requests. Raul at Bellavista and Paulie in Sans Soucis were our favorite waiters.

The “Needs Improving”: There are not enough loungers that are shaded. They have some frameworks with strips of cloth that provide minimal shade, but in the summer sun they are not sufficient. The activities staff does most pool activities in Spanish (or they use heavily accented English), so if you are not Spanish speaking, you are left out. The restaurant reservation system is by phone at 8 each morning. This is frustrating because you don’t know which restaurants are open. None of the restaurants have their menus or hours posted. Internet is not reliable and expensive. A $5/day option is available through a local provider, but the signal is often poor. The food in the restaurants is above average, but after a week, can become boring.

This is not a resort with a big night life. They have an evening show that is family friendly (joined with the sister resort), and afterward provide a trip into Puerto Vallarta with the staff for a fee.

This is a clean, comfortable, quiet, adults-only resort where you can relax and have a fabulous vacation. The downtown area and Malecon are easily accessible by bus (very easy) or taxi. The pool is refreshing, the staff are friendly and welcoming, the rooms are clean and comfortable with amazing views. I have been to many resorts and try not to repeat any, with the exception of this one. Thi was my fourth visit. When they staff greets you with, “Welcome Home”, I feel like I am at home.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view. The ocean view rooms overlook bith the pool and the ocean. The ocean...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ohioteacher
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This place was perfect for my boyfriend and I who went to PV for his 30th birthday. I loved that they handed us tropical drinks when we checked in.
We upgraded to the penthouse suite which is on the 7th floor with a wrap around porch facing the ocean and overlooking the pool. The view was gorgeous and the porch had a jacuzzi tub, the fridge came stocked with beers and it was very clean. Nothing super modern but really well kept and updated.
There were always cabanas and beds open on the beach and the water was an amazing temperature. The walk-up peddlers are the usual amount of annoying, but pretty standard for Mexico. And it seems like hospitality and locals alike are trying to show tourists a good time after all the hubub of the past few years. He went fishing, I got a massage on the beach and I probably drank about 24 Miami Vices. It's pretty ideal for an all out Roman Veg Sesh.
The hotel is situated right between the airport and the Malecon which is perfect. About a $4.50 cab to either and a few other clubs and restaurants are closer.
The staff are so sweet! They brought a surprise chocolate cake on my boyfriends' birthday, and were really prompt and nice with the room service.
From the snack bars to the sit down restaurants to the room service, the food was kind of plain to satisfy international palettes I'm sure, and the portions were on the smaller side (which I appreciated since vacationing tends to make me want to eat nonstop). Generally filling though and the menus change each meal/day which is nice. There are probably 5 restaurants in the hotel. The staff are accommodating if you want a little extra this or that, the bartenders are generous if you tip them :)
All in all a really fantastic value with the flights/food/drinks and all. We didn't have a problem with any noise and enjoyed watching water aerobics from our balcony in the morning (ahem, noon) each day.
If you get a chance in PV, GO TO THE ZOO. You can hold baby tigers and lions and it's in a dense gorgeous jungle. An experience I'll never forget!

Room Tip: Room 1703 was amazing, with a wraparound porch, jacuzzi tub and beer filled fridge! Its perfect for...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jennafer c
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Had room 1504. It faced the pool. It was smaller than rooms I've stayed in at other all-inclusive resorts. For the most part the room was fairly clean but not meticulously so. This room didn't offer a stocked fridge. Two bottles of water were provided per day. Additional water was 10 Pesos a bottle.

Politely refuse the meeting with the staff to the left of the check-in counter to get a property map. This is an attempt to sell you a package. If you're not interested, say so and you wont be bothered again.

The quality and taste of the drinks was dependent on who made them but even that didn't ensure consistency. I stuck to beer and was never disappointed. Tipping generously at the bar appeared to generate more attentive service and better quality drinks. Wait staff rarely served tables on the beach but service was close by.

All of the sit down restaurants required reservations. Getting a seat wasn't difficult. Salvador's had pretty decent food and service. No shorts or flip-flops but the dress code was pretty accommodating. Most of the diners looked well dressed for a resort. The breakfast and lunch buffets were a little sparse but you could also order from the menu. I was always able to find something that I wanted to try. However, I'm not a picky eater. My traveling companions were a little less pleased with the offerings.

If you are looking for an all adult place to stay in a fair location at a good price, you'll be content with this property. If you are looking for a special occasion property to celebrate a milestone, you'll be a little disappointed. My advice is to pay a little extra and stay at more updated property.

The staff was pleasant and worked to please.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces the beach. Facing the pool is OK but can get noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank branger
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the propoerty they just need to have more adult activities schedule for you to participate in. The family side was awesome as they have mega activities and entertainment available.

Room Tip: Choose ocean view as it is the best
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Demetra M
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This would have been a great place if I was 21 again. Went here with my husband and my parents for a couples vacation to relax and enjoy the beach and food. We must have picked a bad time to go as the locals told us this was the rainy season and vacation time for the locals. We speak some spanish, but we didn't feel welcomed since we weren't natives or returning clients. The waiter at the Bella Vista restaurant was very rude to us both nights we attempted to eat there and the food was just ok. The spiced pork tacos were the best. Desserts are not sweet like we wanted but we enjoyed the ice cream. The Paradise restaurant was better with friendly staff, but you have to book your reservations for dinner before 2pm and there is a dress code for this one (resort elegant). 3 of the 4 in my party got sick from something we ate or drank. They provide 2 bottled waters daily and there is a shop onsite that has Powerade, Gatorade, and real soda. This was a lifesaver for me as I don't drink alcohol. The juices all taste like rotten fruit to me and the sodas from the bar/restaurants were like syrup with little carbonation. A little too sweet to drink in the heat. I was told the alcoholic drinks were watered down. The beach is brown sand and because of the storms the water was brown and greenish. Not very pretty, but the mountains were a good scene. The beach was dirty when I went jogging each morning and they were pulling puffer fish out constantly so I was afraid to go in the ocean. The pool water was warm, but people seemed to enjoy it. Not much of an exercise room but it serves its purpose and not too many go in there anyways so you have it to yourself. The room service was terrible. It took forever to get it and it was cold by the time it came and usually not what we ordered. Forgot our salads one night and called 3 times. We got them an hour later. Waited over an hour for food and then an additional 45 minutes for dessert one night at Bella Vista. The people that got seated after us, 2 different tables, got their food before us and we couldn't get our drinks refilled. When we complained to the manager he told us they had to take care of the returning clients before us because they spend lots of money. I understand this in a way, but they should be impressing us too especially if they want us to buy a timeshare or repeat a visit. Plus we spent lots to come here and we always tipped if we had it on us.The cafe offsite but practically next door was great (not included) and the supermarket is right in front of the resort for buying cokes, pastries, things forgotten, but it is in spanish so you will need to know what you are looking for. They will take US dollars but not all exchange at the same rate so be careful. Taxis will try to get you but don't pay more than 8 dollars for one. The Club Nitro is across the street so if you like hearing bumping music till 3 am then you are good. We couldn't sleep because of it and because of the people above us, must have been the honeymoon suite. The bed was not comfortable for us and there is no handle on the outside balcony door so you have to use your hands to slide it open or don't close it all the way. Your balcony is not too private as we could see and hear the people next to us. Our room needed maintenance which was requested on check in but we never got it. The air conditioning was loud, refrigerator kept kicking on and off, shower was broken, water didn't work one day, and the tv was snowy the entire stay. Almost all channels are in spanish, but you have around 4 in english with subtitles if you want to learn some spanish. The maid service was good and they were always friendly. For a good view I recommend the higher floors. Floor 3 has a view of the rooftops and floor 2 the tennis courts. We were on floor 7 which was great. They have 2 small elevators with room enough for 4 people or 2 with luggage cart. No air in them so be prepared to sweat or take the stairs for a cooler walk. You can eat at the next door restaurants if they are not booked full. The breakfast buffet on the family side is much better than at the adult side. Be ready for vendors every 5 minutes if you sit on the beach. They can't come onto the resort so stay at the pool if you don't like being asked to buy stuff all the time. Make sure to get a lock for the room safe, remote for the tv, and pool towel cards upon check in. They didn't mention this to us so we had to go back down for all that. They have internet service for a price per day or pay for the entire stay for a discount. Raul was the best at front desk, Polo at the bar, Manuel at the restaurants, and teacher at the bar/restaurant. The younger manager during the day was also nice and helpful. I highly recommend getting a taxi to the boardwalk to take pics of the bay and do some shopping. The prices are good and if you like cigars we recommend stopping at the Cigar House across from the Starbucks at the end of the boardwalk. Only authentic cigar place and the hand rolled house brand was good. We also ventured over to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner one night and it was good. You can walk there but be careful crossing the streets. If partying is your thing and you don't mind the loud rave type music all day and night, this is the place for you. We expected less noise since it was adults only, but I would have preferred the kid side since they sleep by 10 pm. Do your research for weather and season before visiting here. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Higher floors for better views and oceanfront instead of oceanview if you can get one. The end away...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple