“next time im going to try another hotel”

Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #45 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
confusionville,ca
“next time im going to try another hotel”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel is nice but was not "paradise". With the exception of a few staff members, the majority of the employees did not acknowledge the guests when passing in the halls, a simply Hola or Hello from staff goes a long way. Room service came cold & late. The vendors were constanly hustling on the beach, it was a constant no thankyou while laying on the hotels beach furniture.Issac (bartender) was amazing, he would have our drinks waiting for us when he saw us coming. He always had a smile & if he wasnt busy would joke with us and made us feel like he loved his job & wanted all the guests to enjoy his beautiful city. Dinning was nice, there were several restaurants to choose from, Daniel & Jose kept us looking forward to our next dining experience. Jose tried to accommodate me with a bottle of wine sent to my room( every all inclusive resort I go to I get a bottle for the room) I said any cheap bottle of wine would b fine, I even offered to pay for the bottle. we just wanted to enjoy the sunset on our balcony with a bottle of wine. He was unable to give us this experience since it was against hotel policy.(not sure why not hence ALL INCLUSIVE) He did try to make up for it, I am very grateful to him. Daniel has a great smile & laugh complimenting his service, he always made us feel welcomed & he enjoyed being there.(I think a friendly-happy staff increases the experience of the vacation). Enrique @ the information desk was a delight, very hospitalble. Both Oscars with the time share were amazing, any time we had a question or concern either one we asked would help (more than I could say about the front desk). An elderly man needed help @ the pool i asked 3 staff for help but unfortunately they didnot speak english & my spanish is poor, so I went to Oscar & immediately he helped with the situation. Thank you Oscar, Oscar, Enrique, Daniel, Jose & most of all my fav bartender Issac. I prob will not stay here again, but I am very thankful to these staff members for thier service & making me feel like they loved thier job & city & wanted everyone who visited to have a great experience. The rest of the staff, mainly the front desk could use some advise from the guys. The ATM only gave out increments of 200 pecos, asking for change to tip the staff with was always a hassle. The font desk is not welcoming. Although we did meet a couple that has been coming to this hotel every year for 17 years & that says alot. Hopefully it was just our experience & not the norm. GL

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank katrina95991

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
Regina, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I can't say enough wonderful thing about the Golden Crown (we stayed on the adult side) If your a high roller and expect a carpet rolled out for you, go somewhere else. But for a great price we booked here for out honey moon, and we had the best time.
Check in was smooth, and quick. They didn't give us a remote for the tv, but I think it was turned on once or twice. The room was clean, and re-stocked with water every day. Nothing stolen from our room. Air conditioning was great, we even had to turn it off because it got chilly in the room.
All of the servers, bartenders and workers were amazing to us. We met great new friends. I am a picky eater...so trips can be tough for me. I stayed away from the buffet but my husband wasn't disappointed with it. We booked 2 reservations at the restaurants and they were both fantastic. When they say try the "sexy coffee", they ARE NOT lying. The hotel also offers 2 free meals in the city (taxi & drinks not included) and we chose the Si Senor. It was awesome. We actually had so much fun, that was the only time we left the resort. I did horseback riding on the beach ($25 for 1/2 hr). We did whale watching and snorkeling trips too. We did not book with the hotel, we booked with people on the beach. Oh speaking of the people on the beach, the vendors. They are there to make money. So if you can't handle them asking you to buy their stuff, just don't sit in the front row of chairs. Easy as that. Not worth complaining about. All in all, food was good, room was clean, pool was clean, people were awesome, view was AMAZING. Nice beach, hot sand. Oh and one more thing..... SUNSCREEN. I don't burn, and I burnt to a crisp. It's a different kind of hot there, and all the time! Have an awesome trip. Remember what they say, a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work. So have fun and don't sweat the small stuff. Your on holiday for goodness sake!

Room Tip: Don't worry about booking an "ocean front" room, because they are all ocean view.
7 Thank Jillian A
Chesterfield, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We just recently got back from our 7th stay at the GCP. We were aware that they had made changes since our visit last year and were excited to see what they had done. They have a breakfast buffet at the Belevista. They have someone who will cook your eggs however you want them. They have a selection of other hot foods, fruit, pastries etc. We really enjoyed our morning breakfast. You do have to ask for bacon and only 1 day were we told they were out. We also ate several lunches and dinners at the Belevista and they were all good. We found that the portions were fine and we had plenty of food. We did make reservations at the Italian and French restaurants at the sister hotel. They were both excellent. We also ate at Salvadores and Paradise. They were both good as well. We were sorry though to miss Polly at the Paradise. It looks like they are moving managers around to different restaurants and we heard he was at the French restaurant and since it was the first day of the month think they move them monthly. We had great service from the staff at the Belevista and Daniel there went out of his way to make us happy. Marcos was another staff person who was fantastic there.
We had excellent service from Breeze Bar. We had fantastic service during the day from Antonia and Imelda. They kept us well supplied.
We did have an Ocean Front room and I would suggest paying the extra for this. We were on the 6th floor and had a fantastic view of the bay and beach. I will say we had some issues with not having hot water some days. It would be luke warm at best. Mattress are on the firm side and so are the pillows.
They have installed new cabanas and they provide no shade. So having heard this before we left home we took a King size white sheet with us and put it over the top and used Beach Chair clips to hold it on. You could also use big black paper clips to hold someting on. By doing this we had our shade back. Hopefully they will swap out the thin strips of material they put up for something better that actually gives a person shade.
While there they decided to rope off the area where the beach cabanas are from the vendors. They are not suppose to come right up to you anymore and bother you, unless you motion to them that you would like to see what ever it is they are selling. Some still would come thru the chairs without being invited. But it was a nice change and a person could now get a nap without being bothered every few minutes.
Was not excited to have the staff out on a Saturday morning at 8 am pulling all the loungers from the cabanas on the beach to stack them up to wash them down with a power washer. If you were lucky enough to get there before they took them you could get a lounger. Otherwise they had them all tied up for hours. Was not nice for the rooms on the first few floors above where they were power washing and not really nice for those on the beach. Didn't come to listen to someone using a power washer for hours on Saturday morning. Know they use to do this late afternoon into the evenings and think they should go back to that schedule.
One of the pet peeves we had were the new motion lights they have installed in the public bathrooms. You had to go into them a way before they would trip on and then they would go out before one could finish their business. They would go off after 60 seconds of coming on. This made the public bathrooms a little on the dark side and at night this was not a great thing.
We did have plumbing issues in our room for several days but finally Antonio at the Front Desk was a big help and they got it taken care of.
Our room was always kept cleaned and the staff cleaning went out of their way to get what ever we needed.
All in all we had a great 10 days at the GCP.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get Ocean Front rooms.
4 Thank Ilene S
Transcona, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We traveled with my mom & stepdad and have been to Mexico and the Caribbean before. My parents have been to PVR plenty of times before and my sister had stayed at this resort a few years ago so we were really looking forward to it.
First off, my mom had an asthma attack shortly after settling into the room for the night. Our room was quite mouldy but I could see any mould in her room so we weren't sure what the cause was so didn't complain. The next night the same thing happened shortly after she settled into the room for a while. She complained to the front desk and they shrugged their shoulder. After talking to the sunwing rep he discovered they had her in a smoking room (everything smells musty their so no way of knowing for sure considering we had asked for non smoking rooms) and he had them fix all the mouldy ceiling tiles in our room as well as a leak that was the cause of them. Our room smelled better after that for the most part.
Another issue we had was that room service was very unreliable. We had ordered breakfast to come between 9-9:30 and at 10:15 they still hadn't come so we went down for breakfast before it was over. The next day we ordered breakfast for 8-8:30 and they came for 7:50 so we were still in bed. And if you wanted bacon for breakfast you had to order it from room service because the restaurant was always out of it.
We did like the variety of food available. I enjoyed the sushi in the evenings as the sun went down. The beach bar had great offerings at lunch. And we never went hungry at dinner although it wasn't anything spectacular. You could even go to 2 restaurants downtown included in your all-inclusive and eat of their limited menu. We did do this but also splurged to buy appetizers that weren't on the all-inclusive menu.
The beach is beautiful there but the downside was that the vendors had all access to the beach area and would hound you to buy their stuff... you couldn't go 5 minutes before another one was there trying to sell you stuff. Also, they had no shade at all on the beach and next to none at the pools. They built these beautiful cabanas but they only had flimsy white material on them which offered no protection. We did find shade on the family side at their adult only pool but it was very limited (4 chairs) so we had to be up very early to save the spots if we wanted them. On the 2nd last day they took everyones stuff off all the chairs at that pool around breakfast time and did not tell anyone where they could find their stuff. I was quite upset about this and the security and front desk were no help in this matter and just shrugged their shoulders.
The evening staff at the main adult side restaurant were awesome but the majority of the other staff lacked customer service. It seemed they just didn't care one way or the other if you were happy. We were good tippers both in room and out even when we had bad service as we have found at other places it usually helped to improve how they treated you. That didn't work here.
We had good weather!

Room Tip: I think all rooms on the adult side have a good view but I'm sure the higher the better. We were...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Denise Y
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I returned to GCP Resort for my 4th year in succession and my parents 6th year. We come back to the same place because of our friends who also visit during the same time but also because we love Puerto Vallarta and GCP Resort! The location is spectacular. The beach is great. And the staff at GCP are the best. They have become our friends too and are wonderful hard-working people. It was upsetting to read any negative reviews because we do not understand how anyone can find fault at GCP Resort. The food is excellent and has more variety than any other surrounding resorts. Everyone can find something they will enjoy.

Room Tip: We asked in advance for an ocean view room close to the water and the higher, the better. Our room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Plhintn
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We just returned from two weeks at this all inclusive resort. Our first time there and our first time in Puerto Vallarta. All in all we had a great time. The food was plentiful and quite good. Service was great for the most part and the rooms were kept clean. We had a deluxe ocean front room on the sixth floor and could sit on our balcony in the morning and have our room service coffee and OJ and watch the dolphins in the bay. Because we are early risers we would call down for room service at about 7 am and have our coffee, toast and juice delivered to our room. It was delivered about ten minutes later always with a smile and a cheery 'Buenos Dias'. Then we would head down to the breakfast buffet about 9. Breakfast Buffets were pretty good although it did get a little repetitive by the end of the two weeks, but not bad enough to worry about. Lots of hot food, omelettes made to our specifications as well as fresh fruit, pastries and more. My only complaint would be that the hot food was not always kept hot enough.

We avoided the pool area as it was very noisy and not nearly enough shade. This is a major problem at this resort and our only serious complaint. The palapas have strips of cloth that do nothing to block out the sun and around the pool there are not even enough of those. Hopefully the resort will rectify this problem as it may have an influence on us returning. After a couple of days we headed down near the breeze bar and then figured out that if we got up early enough we could reserve an old style palapa (there are about 6 of them) that were completely covered. A sign at the pool says that reserving loungers is not allowed, but because everyone does it, you really don't have a choice. Service to the loungers on the beach can be a bit slow but we really don't have a problem getting up and getting our own drinks if it's busy. Kudos to Olefina. She is a top notch server and sometimes doubles as a bar tender. Her dirty monkeys were quite dirty thank you. We got to know her quite well and we will miss her. For both of us, people really do make our vacation.

Our room was compact but was kept clean and as I said before because we were on the top floor, ocean front, we had a great view of the Bay of Banderas. The beds were a bit of an issue. They were much too firm for our liking, but we found out too late that you can get a foamy to put on top. We'll do that next year. I would suggest to the resort though that they at least replace the pillows. They are pretty bad. It would also be nice to have a small fridge in the room and there is enough space for one. Our solution was to go the Soriana which is right across the street and buy a styro foam cooler which the bartender at the Breeze Bar was happy to fill with ice for us. We also purchased some excellent wines at the Soriana and kept them chilled in the cooler. The Soriana carries about anything you need and because my hubby forgot to bring his medications, we picked them up at the pharmacy in the store. As in all of Mexico, most meds do not require a prescription. It took away the stress of having forgotten them. Do be careful though, those pesky time share people cruise the isles in the store and we got suckered in by one. The pretense is making sure you found everything you need and once you respond they are off and running. What bothered us the most about this encounter was that he really ran down the GCP. When I finally caught on and said, "Oh, you're selling time shares!" he responded that 'no he as selling 'memberships'..... at $10,000 a pop no less. A new approach I guess. The resort he represented had been on our 'maybe' list of places to stay in PV, but not anymore. We managed to get away from him unscathed after a few minutes. Other than that no one bugged us in the hotel. The only other place we ran into Timeshare people was when we went for a walk on the Malecon. They are everywhere and quite relentless there. Kind of spoiled our enjoyment of the walk.

We have to give a very special thanks to 'Westjet'. These people are without a doubt the most organized, efficient, friendly and helpful people ever. From check in on the ground in Calgary to ease of transportation to our hotel when we arrived, it was effortless. The Westjet reps at the hotel were the best. They arranged our tours, explained everything in detail and were available to us whenever we might need them. My only complaint is that the cabin crew in flight have an attitude and they really should drop it. We've encountered this attitude on previous Westjet flights. There is positively no need to be condescending and snippy. At one point my jaw dropped I was so taken aback. Other than that it was all good! Thanks to the Reps Russ and Epi. We certainly enjoyed the tours you suggested for us.

We only tried one a la carte restaurant at the hotel which was the Paradise. It was ok, but nothing to write home about. We found the buffet on the Crown Paradise side to be pretty good if you don't mind lots of kids running around. The snacks at the Breeze bar, pool area and meals by the Pub bar were fine and we certainly didn't ever want for anything. If we wanted to eat something there were lots of options. We went out to dinner one night to the resort next door (South side). The resort is called 'Vallarta Torre' if I remember correctly. We had an awesome meal there just for a change of pace. We also went there for a Mexican Fiesta on our last night in PV and had a great time!

Wifi in the hotel is pretty expensive and apparently a little sketchy anyway, so we didn't bother. There is a little coffee house right next door to the hotel called 'El Patio' which is part of Vallarta Torre. For the price of a couple of cappuccinos we got caught up every day and got our internet fix through our IPads. We kind of looked forward to this quiet little oasis late afternoon every day when we'd had enough sun. Isabel makes great cappuccinos and is a sweetheart. We'll miss her too.

Beach Vendors. If you don't like them and they bother you, don't go to Mexico. These are hard working people trying to feed their families. A polite 'no gracias' will send them on their way, but you may even pick up a few nice things as we did. They pretty much expect you to haggle, so offer what you think is a fair price and pick up some bargains. I would stay away from the 'silver' though unless you just want a little trinket that you can expect to turn black when you get home. We picked up some nice 'monkey wood' pieces for gifts and great straw beach bag. Other than that even a simple shake of the head and a smile will keep them moving along.

We were without water for a day as they were fixing the hot water problem. It would have been nice if the resort had warned us a day ahead, but whatever. When it was fixed, we had lots of hot water and good water pressure. Elevators went out a couple of times. So, we took the stairs. No biggie.

Would we go back? Probably! We felt comfortable and safe at the resort. We are not people who like fancy dancy or hoity toity so their 'no problema', relaxed attitude was refreshing. If you are a 'white linen tablecloth', 'fancy waiter' kind of person this is not the place for you. The people who work here are for the most part kind and helpful and have a sense of humour but it's a busy place and they are kept hopping. Cut them a bit of slack and tip accordingly. I know they really appreciate it. We go on vacation to have nice couple of weeks in the sun to rest and get away from the cold so we really don't let too much bother us. If it's perfection you want, then don't go. Our experience has been that no place is ever perfect. Go with the flow and you'll have a great time.

Just a word on Tours. A city tour is included with your all inclusive vacation. It was fun and very informative. They DO stop for a couple of 'shopping opportunities'. One was a glass factory and as I collect Mexican glass we found this quite fun. I picked up some nice pieces for very reasonable prices. The other stop is surprise, surprise, a jewellery store. My husband picked up a beautiful silver chain there which they shortened to suit him. 'No problema'. Love that! The tour also took us up into the hills and we visited a Tequila factory. Well factory would be an over statement. This is a family run business and we learned a lot about the making of Tequila. We also had a nice lunch there. Just so you know, lunch is not included so expect to pay for it. The food was very delicious though.

Through our Westjet rep we also booked 3 tours. The first was 'Rhythms of the Night'. Great time, great show and great food. Well worth the money. The second was the 'Offroad Adventure to Sierra Madre South'. Most fun we had on the trip thanks to Mustafa and the driver Chano. Don't be afraid of the "Offroad" name. It was quite safe and not at all daunting. Coming back off the mountain we had a 'little bit' of Tequila in the back of the open air truck as we drove back into Puerto Vallarta. What a hoot! The third tour and my favourite was the 'Whale Watching tour'. This one we would want to do every year. So thrilling to see these beautiful Humpback Whales up close.

If you have any questions about this resort, please don't hesitate to contact me. I would be happy to help if I can.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Deluxe Ocean View. Ask for a top floor as the view is great and quieter. We contact...
4 Thank jakesjo
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It's my last night here on an all-inclusive week and I'm packing up now just in case I have too much fun tonight... again....
I was at the Sunset plaza last month and was totally disturbed by the bad service, attitude and food, so coming here this month rejuvenated my love for PV and all-inclusive hotels.
Yes, GCP has small dated rooms, but the beds are comfortable and everything is clean. The air conditioning worked well. I've heard that they sometimes have hot water and elevator issues, but I didn't experience any of that. Service from the moment we walked to the front desk has been exceptional. Everyone is friendly, accommodating and kind. I asked for and received 2 rooms next to each other on the fifth fl, ocean front. When I was here last year I went to all of the restaurants, but this time we stuck to the pool grill, ocean bar sushi and sandwiches and the sistering buffet. There was too much food available all the time to even think about making time for one of the restaurants. There's also free 24 hr room service, so hunger and variety are all well met.
The pool is warm and clean. There's a nice beach, room for volleyball and other games. They've roped off part of the beach so the vendors aren't as pesky as they were last year. No kids or screaming babies :-) They have a variety of entertainment during the day, which I've heard but haven't participated in. It sounds like fun tho :-)
There's no fridge in the room, but you really don't need one... cold drinks are always a step or a call away.
I guess what makes me happiest is the attitude of all the employees. They seem happy. They're sincere and easy-going, even the bar tenders :-) Happy employees make for happy guests, and my crew and I are all very content.
So salud to the old queen GCP! Hope to be back soon!
One other aside... if you need to choose between transat or sunwing, transat has superior service.

Room Tip: For view take ocean front, upper floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends