“Nice resort, not blown away, but nice” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta

Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #46 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Saskatoon
“Nice resort, not blown away, but nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I were there Jan 12-20 2013. It was our 4th time to Puerto Vallarta, and we had previously stayed in the Nuevo( Riviera Nayarit,)area, at the Riu Jalisco, and the Samba Vallarta. We decided to stay closer to downtown on this visit, and thought it would be nice to try an adults only inclusive resort since we were just travelling as a couple.
Check in: We arrived in the middle of the night, and we were a little bit unsure how that would be, but they were waiting for us, and we checked in quickly, and were brought up to our room right away. They even offered us room service(3am), which was nice, but not needed, as we just wanted to get some sleep.
The room: The first room we got was on the 3rd floor, right beside the pub bar, and breakfast dining area. I liked the room itself, but I am sensitive to noise, even with earplugs, and the bar was noisy past 1 am, and the breakfast area had music playing at 7am. My hubby had no issues with this, but I did, so we asked to move, and were given a room the next day on the 6th floor, and closer to the pool/ocean. I will warn people that if you do want to move to another room, they are not exactly quick about it, and do make you wait. I think we waited for our bellboy for almost an hour, which was frustrating because we wanted to be by the pool. They tell you it will be a few minutes- what they mean is whenever they have time. The rooms are in need of an update, but really not bad for Mexico, and it was nice to have an ocean, and pool view from our balcony. We had a flat screen tv in our room, and everything worked fine. I would have liked to have had better lighting in the bathroom. It was nice to have room service. We have never had that at a resort before- very quick too I thought. Make sure you take advantage of the breakfast delivery. It was top notch. I really would have liked to have a fridge in the room, but we went to Soranos(the grocery store just five min walk away) and bought a 3 dollar cooler, and bought our own soda, and filled it with ice from the bars.
The pool/beach: We spent time at both pool and beach. We liked them both. The pool is heated, so it was the first time I actually enjoyed a swim, and the hot tub, was slightly warmer, and was nice I thought. One afternoon it was really cloudy, and a bit cooler out, so they turned the heat up on the hot tub, and it was very warm! The drink service was hit and miss. Sometimes they were attentive, and other times they forgot about you, or took forever to bring your drink. It was better by the pool than on the beach, but I think it was pretty good compared to some we have been to in the past. Everyone says to be prepared for the vendors on the beach. Well they are right. They are everywhere, they are nonstop- even late at night which surprised me. We didn't see that in Riviera Nayarit. They do leave you alone if you say no gracias, but it is a bit of a pain. We liked the beach bar at night. It was nice to be able to go there and have some drinks(listening to the ocean in the background) The bartender there was nice too. I found the beach to be a good size, clean, and beautiful. They even have beds with canopy's over them. We never used one because they were always taken before we had the chance, but I thought it was a nice option.
The food: Here is where I have a bit of a problem. The food here was not as good as some other all inclusives we have been to. Breakfast was the best, but selection was the same everyday, and not a lot to choose from. My husband enjoyed the made to order omellettes though, and we both loved the fresh orange juice. No buffet at this resort, so lunch only consisted of the snack bar that made hamburgers, small tacos, fries, and sometimes wings. We actually liked the burgers, and the wings were pretty good, but one can't eat that every day. So we went to the resort next door for their buffet. Which was ok at best. At least it had a salad bar, and a few more options. This buffet never changed all week either. We went there several times, and they had the same food almost everytime. So what do you do? you try to go to the ala cartes hoping to find some food that beats the buffet right? well the Paradise was good,(Polly and his sexy coffee was awesome) and I recommend that one, but we also went to the Italian, and French at the other resort, plus we went to Salvadors too, and even though service was good, and presentation was nice, the flavor was not too great. I'm not usually that picky an eater either, and I really wanted to like them, but sorry to say I was disappointed. Also it didn't help that I found myself a bit queasy 4 days into our stay. Other guests were saying it was the food, or that there was a flu bug going around. I don't know what it was but I was sick for at least 24 hrs. I never threw up, but I didn't feel good. First time I have ever been sick on vacation.
Overall we did enjoy our stay. I don't know if we would return like so many have done. We met a couple that had been there over 13 times. When there are so many resorts out there, I think I would like to try some others, maybe closer to downtown next time? The location isn't bad though. We were able to walk to the marina to catch our boat for our excursion with Vallarta adventures( Las Caletas)-Very convenient. Walking distance to Galleria mall, and Walmart, and only a short bus ride to downtown. There is also a flea market by the marina too. Sadly we only saw one cruise ship while we were there. We expected to see more since it was high season. The weather wasn't as nice this trip. PV is usually sunny and hot, and this time it was cloudy(no sun at all) for 2-3 days of our short 7 day vacation. I guess PV has spoiled us in the past, but at least we didn't have rain, and could do our shopping, and excursions on those days. Still beats what we are suffering with here in Canada, and I would go back in an instant if I could.

2 Thank abbygirl22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
farmington, mn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was our 6th time at this resort and the first thing we noticed was the absence of som
e of the employees....the friendly gentlemen who usually checked us in had been replaced by a guy who seemed less than friendly and did not engage anyone in our group in any type of conversation. This continued each time we had a need to go to the front desk. Not exactly a warm welcome.

However there was a young lady who was engaged with the people she was helping and we just went to her and got good service with a friendly smile. I agree with the people who has commented on inconsistencies in the service at the outdoor restaurant . The bright spot was a a young lady named Joseline who created wonderful eggs and ommlets !!! I miss her eggs over medium!! My complaints are the music at the pool needs to be revamped completely, the New beach and pool cabanas are nice looking but offer very little in the way shade, they need to invest in more of the yellow upright beach chairs and what happened to all the missing chairs at the Breeze Bar??? We have had no problems with our rooms and have had great maid service. If you want to book any fishing trips or whale watching find a guy by the name of Hector...he will take good care of you. We've is on the beach in the morning and around sunset. We are going to look for a different area in Mexico next year but would come back to this resort again.

Room Tip: Try get an ocean view room on the upper floors and don't hesitate in asking for another room if...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank crm1
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for take the time and share your comments, with us, they are very important because they are used to improve our services that we offer.

I will share your feedback with the corresponding departments, and be sure they will take the corresponding actions.

Thank you for your preference, we are waiting for you in your home away from home.

PRESCOTT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was an all-inclusive timeshare trade experience for us. The rooms were small but adequate. The appliances were extremely old but in working condition (marginally). The seal on the fridge was next door to useless - water dripping constantly from the freezer section into the fridge section. We had a water leak in the bathroom which took three requests for someone to come to repair (over a 6 hour period). After being serviced, it continued to leak. It was finally rectified after another call for service. The shower handle came off while showering. Two calls had to be made before service arrived. The units definitely require some attention. There was daily maid service.

The grounds are basically barren of trees or any other shade from the sun. There are screened huts and palapas but the shade is limited.

It seemed like most of the guests at this resort smoked which made it unbearable for anyone having respiratory problems. I would hate being there when the resort is at or near capacity (it was less than 50% full).

The food in the indoor restaurants (at which men must wear long trousers) was very well presented and tasty. The service was also top-notch. There was one exception. At the La Piazza I had garlic soup which had no hint of garlic or garlic flavour. The Fettuccini Alfredo was also very bland.

The outdoor restaurant was where we encountered many situations which require attention. The wait staff was extremely inattentive. On many occasions we had to request our food two or three times. When it was served, it was quite often cold. On two occasions, the incorrect meal was presented. It was almost impossible to get soft bacon. Sometimes they were not able to fulfill orders from the menu - they were out of the item, or part of it.

The entertainment provided by the talented staff was of high calibre.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RON K
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments, they are very important to us as it helps us to improve our service.

We would like to inform you that your comments have been shared with management team, and be sure; our management group will take the corresponding actions to improve in all subjects mentioned.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback. We value you as a guest and hope to see you again at the Crown Paradise Resort.

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Our first visit to this excellent all inclusive adult only resort. Our Deluxe Ocean View room was very comfortable and the room service and maid service was consistently excellent. All the staff were very welcoming and ensured our stay was comfortable and enjoyable.

Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us; we are pleased to know that our goal was successfully accomplished,

We invite you to join the social network Facebook.

Hope to see you very soon at home in Puerto Vallarta

Best Regards

Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Also wanted to add this for wifi go out the lobby to the right about a block to a coffee shop buy a cup of coffee to get wifi service. 4 internet go to the grocery store called Solarnis Go out the lobby turn left Goto first black turn right And it's on your right hand side The internet for only about a dollar Is kitty corner from this grocery store It's a real estate office. And is next to a mattress store lets you use their Internet For only like 1 and a half US dollar.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for take the time and share your comments on TripAdvisor,

We reiterate our commitment to your satisfaction; we hope to see you again in our resort.

Dulce Ramos.
Saskatchewan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We returned to the GCP and found things a little different, but still very much a pleasant experience which reinforces the need to return again some day.

The weather wasn't the greatest for a few of the days.. in fact it rained so there really weren't that many people interested in hanging around the beach or the pool. We were there during a really slow period and I estimated and then one of the staff told me that they were only at about 30-40% occupancy, which affected the number of staff that were on premises.

I did notice that they never had any of the better alcohol brands out, and no longer show them on the counter as they used to. When we asked for Johnny Walker Black the bartender showed us the bottle (marked for it) and said they hadn't refilled it for him. But that doesn't really matter because everything is quite ok anyway. We always tip (about $ 300 for the week), but I don't think that made any difference.

We had a fantastic third floor ocean front room that gave us some beautiful sunsets, and a wonderful breeze on the balcony. Some of the staff remembered us from previous years, and the GCP had our name on the door when we arrived. We were treated very well, and the wife commented that it was like they thought we were on our honeymoon. (NOT).

We did eat at Paradise and saw Polly who provided his sexy coffee show, but quite frankly although they have really nice full service restaurants, we chose to eat the buffet at the Crown Paradise next door simply because it always had a great selection, and you get to pick and choose what you want, and go back for more. On two of those days when it appeared that no one was in the resorts service dipped, and we found that we ended up getting our own morning coffee, and glasses of water in the buffet area. There didn't appear to be any staff around those days, which was ok with us because we're used to getting our own coffee and water at home, and besides we didn't have to tip anybody... LOL. The outside snack bars are fantastic, with the Mahi Mahi sandwich being spectacular, and the tacos by the pool being very tasty.

This is a really nice place... it's not a five star, but quite frankly we're not five star people, and wouldn't behave properly in that environment anyway. One of the evenings we were invited to a returning guests banquet and treated to a full meal on the beach served by some of their staff. It's very special because it shows that they appreciate their returning guests. I wish that they had free wi-fi in the place, but I found that I could receive 3g coverage from my balcony and used that. I assume my next phone bill will have some extra costs attached.

The only thing I don't like about the place is the time share sales pitch, but we've learned to tell them no, do not attend anything they offer, are left alone after that. The beach sellers aren't really a problem, and surprisingly remember us from previous years, and even what we bought from them. Cool.

The latest and newest thing they have is full double beds under canopy on the beach. WOW. I like that... except I fell asleep, the sun shifted and I got a bit of a sunburn/sunstroke. We got a wonderful show from our balcony one of the evenings from a young couple as well, that my wife would not allow me to video record..

We will go back and the sooner the better.

Room Tip: Get a beach front room in building 2... It is right on the beach, but ask for at least the third flo...
5 Thank Canadian_Ron
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share us your comments; these are very valuable to us. We are very pleased to know that your stay was enjoyable, here at your home away from home, Golden Crown Paradise.

Our goal at Crown Paradise is to create lasting memories, by offering personalized service, added values plus friendly and attentive staff. Your satisfaction is the very important to us.

The repetitive dinner is our way to say thank you for your loyalty with us,

Thanks again for your preference. We hope to have you back at your home away from home.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice place nice size rooms service and food. Great value we paid 949 dollars per person from Milwaukee Wisconsin with a 2 hour layover in Texas. Have gone to Mexico many times this was the only 1 that had a heated pool and it was truly heated. Stay away from Oscar at the front desk he is always trying to sell you something. If you want to get away from the vendors stay at the pool. Service was slow at the Japanese restaurant but the food was good. Service was slow at the Japanese restaurant but the food was good
We stayed in room 2405 fourth floor awesome view and we heard the ocean every night. Be sure to go to the club nitro across the street every night there is a freak show we saw Mexican dancers another night was a magic show. The only thing I wish they had was live music on the grounds. We Would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share your experiences with us, we are proud for make your holidays memorable,

We invite you to make a fan in our social network facebook, where you can share photos and comments with us,

We thank you for your positive comments, and we hope to see you soon in this your home away from home.

Dulce Ramos.