“Happy Vacation”

Ranked #45 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Regina, Canada
“Happy Vacation”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband and I go to Mexico every year during the winter time. We've stayed in a lot of different resorts in Puerto Vallarta. This December we stayed in Golden Crown Paradise Resort for two weeks, and we loved every day of it! The hotel is adult only, which is very nice. There is another hotel ( Crown Paradise Club) just next to us, we can go there to eat as well. There is a snack bar by the buffet on that side, every afternoon they had ribs, my husband loved it! There are three restaurants in our hotel, and a buffet plus three restaurants in next door hotel. We've tried all the restaurants, and the food was wonderful!
There are two things we don't like: no wifi (or you pay 7 dollars a day to go to a special room to use it); no fridge in the room. Other than that, we were very happy about this resort.

Room Tip: Oceanfront room has very nice view, higher floor is better.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Xuelian W
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to invite you our social network Facebook, and share your experiences with us.

One more time thank you for your feedback, they are very important for us.

Dulce Ramos.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was my second time in Puerto Vallarta and my first at this resort. Last time I stayed at the Samba Vallarta which is in Nuevo Vallarta.

I usually travel alone, however, this time I traveled with a friend. Since my friend preferred an adult only resort, we decided on Golden Crown Paradise. The resort is very close to the airport, only about 5 minutes by taxi and it should not cost you more than $8 -10 dollars. The check-in was quick and the front desk staff was great.

I was happy to see that although an adult only resort, we did not see much of the rowdy crowds but rather a more quiet group of people. Perhaps the fact that the resort was close to downtown some of those who wanted to party just chose to visit the bars downtown. If anything, the resort in the evenings was pretty quiet.

The bar outside the lobby would be a bit busier but still no big crowds. There is a second bar by the beach where you can also have a quick snack during the day if you do not wish to go up to the dining area.

Staff in general was friendly and helpful with one exception. One of the servers in the morning was an absolute grump and unfriendly. He seemed as he really did not enjoy what he was doing.
The first morning we waited at least 10 minutes before they served us coffee even though two servers asked us if we wanted coffee and although we did say yes, they never came back. The unfriendly server walked by us with a pot of coffee and went straight to couple who were just making their way to the table and served them first before coming back to us.

It seemed like he first wanted to serve those who have already established their tipping system. The following morning we decided to sit in another area away from Mr. Grumpy but to our surprise he came all the way there to serve us with coffee and to ask if I was angry with him. Considering his lack of "good" service on the first morning we still tipped so I guess he tried to make up for it, although he was not any more pleasant. The third morning we walked over to the breakfast area and first person we saw was Grumpy. We said good morning but received no reply. I never came across someone so arrogant and pompous as he was.
I stayed at other resorts and met nothing but wonderful staff and I have treated them with respect an vice versa but this person just has a bad mood and never smiled and he always had that sour looking face. I understand it is not an easy job to please everyone, however, they have a good enough job and they earn more than what the others do outside the resorts.

Nicholas on the other hand was a delight and so were many others. We actually decided after that morning to go to the sister resort and have our breakfast there. Since we were up early and down by 7 am we did not have to worry about the kids running around. Staff was very friendly and full of smiles...Also coffee at the kids resort was much better than on the adult side.

The dinner at the main restaurant outside the lobby area was great if you ordered Mexican dishes. We did try a few different ones and it was delicious but we could only eat so much of that. I usually prefer healthier and lighter choices so if you want a salad the choice is slim. The salad orders were very small and hardly any greens and not very fresh. The broccoli was old and yellowish....I do prefer the buffet type of dining so that I can select what I want and not having to waste the food by ordering it and not being able to eat it.

The Paradise restaurant had a great salad bar. The service was excellent but remember to book between 8 am and 2 pm. If you want a table by the window with a view, book the 6:30 time and be there on time. It is a first come first serve basis and it is nice to have the view. You can book here every day if you wanted to...We did eat there the last two nights of our stay.

The French restaurant is on the sister resort (kids resort) also need reservation. The food and service along with the Sexy coffee was great.

Our room was clean, no problems but a bit smaller then we expected still for the amount of time we spent there it really did not matter. Our window was overlooking the ocean above the second bar by the beach. All rooms have balconies as far as we could see and all have an ocean view to certain degree. Some overlook the pool area however, you can also see the ocean from the balcony.

The resort was safe even in the evenings. We also felt safe when we visited downtown Vallarta and it is a beautiful place to visit. Lots of great restaurants, boutiques and all kind of different art stores. The Galleria Vallarta mall is also nice to visit and it is only about 10 minutes walk from the resort.

Yes the Beach Vendors, well there are many but they are trying to make a living. Usually if you say "No Gracias" they go away, but another one will soon follow. Does not matter what resort you go to (unless a 5 star) beach vendors are everywhere and it is just a fact of life. If you want to buy something just be firm on the price you want to pay and do not give in to the back and forth chatter otherwise they will not leave you alone. Although bothersome to us at times, at the same time their life is hard and they try to survive by making a few dollars a day by walking all day long on the sun trying to sell something.

Internet - do not pay for internet at the hotel, a little too expensive. Other resorts I stayed at usually offered free WiFi. If you need to use the internet then there is a little coffee shop just outside the resort offering free WiFi if you buy a coffee or consume something. As you exit the hotel and walk towards the street, turn right passed the security booth just a few short steps down there is a great little coffee shop. They have cappuccino, espresso coffee and other snacks so better pay for a nice coffee and use the internet there. It is a small and cozy place.

Although I will not return to this resort simply because I prefer to go to different places, I would certainly recommend it. For what we paid, we were satisfied. Our main reason was to relax, enjoy the sun and the beach which we did and everything else is secondary....

Thank you for reading my review and I hope you found it helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Melinda M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for take the time and share your experiences with us,

Your comments are really invaluable; they help us to improve in the services that we offer you,

We hope to see you again,

idaho
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have stayed @ the Golden Crown 3 times in the last year and a half. We really noticed some changes on our last vist (Nov 2012), not for the best. Apparently there must be new management, as the employees are being moved from locations we are familiar seeing them at, and they need heir jobs, but are not happy with their current jobs. Golden Crown has taken employees that excelled in their previous positions and are not using them to the hotels advantage in the positions they are now holding. Some employees have went on to other resorts rather than put up with the changes....too bad for the Golden Crown.
Top shelf liquor is one of the reasons we liked Golden Crown, now they do not carry Bailey's Irish Cream. They frequently run out of Absolute Vodka, mint for mojitos, cerveza, etc. You can see the trend. The other thing was we enjoyed was having the bars open early (bloody marys or champagne, baileys for morning coffee). Now some don't open until 10:00 or 11:00. These changes are making this hotel just "run of the mill" instead of something "special", that other hotels don't offer.

We might try Golden Crown once more, if they don't go back to how they were,with the employees excelling in their positions, top shelf liquor, increased bar hours, etc. we might as well try to find somewhere else that will better serve what we are looking for.

The employees that are staying are trying to make the best of the situation, but we truly feel they would have preferred staying in their previous positions and we would have to! Don't take a employee that excells in customer service and put them in a position that they can't use their skills to your best advantage...

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the rooms above the lobby bar, too noisy late evenings.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank wicked1Idaho
Dear Guest,

Thank you for shared your comments with us,

Your feedback has been shared with the management team,

We hope to see you again, and show our commitment with your satisfaction.

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Well, just returned from Golden Crown Paradise in Puerto Vallarta and must say we are somewhat disappointed. This was our fifth year and have had wonderful visits in the past; but this year fell short. There has been a move in management which shows pretty much everywhere. Most of the staff has changed and it really is inconsistent! Especially service around the pool and bars; bad and slow. We talked a few of the workers and the staff has been reduced almost by half. Also, now they have added a short stay option, that is packing the place with alot of young people (18-25) which don't do two things; tip or clean-up. One day we found food and glasses floating in the pool; very out of the normal. The Breeze Bar still held a quiet refuge if you need to sit and watch a sunset, but hold on for the 2:am pool parties. Security has softened their pool rules for closure. I hate to talk trash about a resort that has treated us and many of our friends so well in the past, but if you plan a trip soon, another location is advised. PV is a great place to visit, with fantastic clubs and great restaurants! We always have felt very safe, welcomed and enjoyed every minute it!

Room Tip: Take a room that is 'Ocean View'. 'Ocean Front' can be a bit short on a good view an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sparky2305
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback, we certainly appreciate them.

Your observations are valuable to us and we are taking it seriously.

Once again, thanks for sharing with us your comments regarding our services, it definitely help us to improve ourselves.

We hope you give us the opportunity to host you again at Golden Crown Paradise.

Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Very clean which is the most important thing to me. Always felt safe. Looked like all of the rooms had amazing views. First time I have stayed in a room with a balcony and LOVED it!!! Room service in the morning...eggs, toast, juice, and coffee on the balcony watching the ocean...wish I were back there now! Room service in the middle of the night after getting in from the bars...great!

Pool was good. Relaxed and read a lot. Participated in some of the poolside fun...bingo...tequila volleyball...much fun! The hardworking employees who entertained you throughout the day were great. Also, much enjoyed the beach volleyball games!

The night life trips into town with the staff was well worth the low price and a lot of fun...I recommend it. The club across the street with the nightly shows...not my thing...I was bored.

Food: Poolside food was very good. Buffet was good. Not a fan of the fancy resteraunt's food, but their coffee was delicious! It's an A.I. hotel so no...the food was not amazing...but it was good!! No complaints! Loved the breakfast!

I cannot say enough about the staff. They were all wonderful! Very helpful, hardworking, and friendly.

My boyfriend & I did the pirate ship excursion...juvenile...I do not recommend for adults.

I have been to Mexico @ least 8 times and this was my favorite place in Mexico I have been so far. It was also my favorite hotel. Hope to go back some day!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kyra G
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for share your experiences whit us, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to invite you to become a fan at facebook, So that you know about our promotions, and share us your comments.

Thanks again for your preference. We hope to have you back at your home away from home.

Best Regards.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We just returned from a 5 day trip to the Golden Crown Paradise, and we had a truly amazing time. Flying into Puerto Vallarta couldn’t have been any easier, just a 3.5 hour flight from Chicago. Upon arrival we easily navigated through the airport and hired a taxi to take us to the hotel. It was a $20 ride and took about 15 minutes. We arrived at about 2pm to find our room was ready and waiting for us. We had an ocean front view, room 2403, and the view was absolutely breathtaking. Our balcony opened up to the sight of palm trees, and an unspoiled view of the Pacific Ocean. When staying here I would definitely request a room in the “VIP Building” as the views are much better than the rooms that face the pool, although technically speaking, all the rooms do have an ocean view. I would agree with most of the other reviews that talked about the property being a bit older and in need of a little paint here and there, but the staff did an impeccable job of keeping it clean. Even though its an older resort, it was still beautiful none the less, and we found it to be a great value for the money we spent.

The check-in process went very smooth, but please beware of signing up for the “invitation only” sales presentation / VIP breakfast. Only attempt to do it if you are actually considering joining a vacation club or time share. They will offer you free spa services and discounted excursions to attend the presentation, they will also promise you it only will take 75 minutes, but once you get there they will want to take up hours of your time. I attended for about 20 minutes then decided I had enough, but they were very understanding and nice about it and wished me well. We did not get any of the incentives obviously, but they were very nice about it and left us alone after that.

We found the beach area to be absolutely wonderful. Some people complain about the “Pacific being terrible compared to the Caribbean”, but we found it to be just as good. While it is true that the Caribbean has the pretty blue water and white sand beach, the Pacific was just as warm, and the beaches were well manicured. There was almost no seaweed, the water temperature was like bathwater, and there was no “fishy smell” as I have heard others describe. We spent hours / days on the beach tanning and swimming, and while the pool area was nice as well, we found it to be more crowded so we spent the majority of the time on the beach. We speculated that the pool was more crowded because those on the beach were constantly being approached by vendor as the other reviews have said. We found the beach vendors to be a non-issue, and were actually able to find quite a few good deals on souvenirs for the family and friends. We actually did ALL of our shopping right from our lounge chair and had fun doing it. The key with the vendors is to just say “NO”. You will be approached a hundred times a day, but if you say no, they leave you alone, simple as that. They don’t beg or hassle you, they just walk away. If you get tired of saying “NO”, just lay back in the chair and ignore them, they will just walk on by. I am a fairly impatient, no-nonsense kind of person, but the beach vendors were just fine and didn’t have any negative impact on my vacation at all. In fact, I enjoyed being able to get the t-shirts, necklaces, and other various swag right there on the beach, at good prices.

As far as all inclusive resorts are concerned, this one had SPECTACULAR service. It seemed as if as soon as my glass was empty, Antonia was right there to fill it back up for me. She was a spectacular hostess, and I definitely recommend getting your sun in her section of the beach (near the breezes bar). The restaurants were all more than adequate. All inclusive resort food is usually on the average side to begin with, and this was no exception. It all came with a nice presentation, good flavor, and there were no issues with upset tummies after any of the meals. I found the pork tacos at the poolside grill to be EXCELLENT. I am a taco connoisseur, so for me to be so excited about Tacos al Pastor, they have to be good. The hotel also has a partnership with a restaurant out in the downtown area called the “Blue Shrimp”. This place was extraordinary!! We had a fantastic meal of ceviche, fish tacos, and deliciously cooked and seasoned shrimp. The food was included in your package, but you had to purchase the drinks. The atmosphere was great, and it was right on the oceanfront and boardwalk area. It was only a 7 dollar cab ride each way. Definitely recommend it for a great meal out on the town.

All in all we couldn't be happier with our trip to the GCP, and we wouldn't hesitate recommending to family and friends. It was a great value for the money, and you shouldn't hesitate to spend your vacation here!!

Room Tip: They placed us in the "VIP Building" where all the rooms begin with the number 2. These r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Al S
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending us your comments; these are very valuable to us. We are very pleased to know that your stay was enjoyable, here at your home away from home, Golden Crown Paradise.

Our goal at Crown Paradise is to create lasting memories, by offering personalized service, added values plus friendly and attentive staff. Your satisfaction is the very important to us.

Riverside, Missouri
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at gcp last april and gave it a bad review, But returned for a trip nov 18-25 I had some friends returning and wanted to join them. I had to wait till 3pm to check in and they didnt have my room ready yet. So the manager upgraded me to a jacuzzi sweet wich i was very happy with it had a small refridgerator and a walk in shower with a good view of the ocean.
The food was much better this time and i found the japanese restaurant was very good. I did notice a longer wait for lunch at the outdoor restaurant. But my company was good so i didnt mind to much.
The shows at nitro are always good but the pool activities could use a little change for return guest as they tend to get a bit dull after doing the same thing every day.
The staff work from sun up to sun down but always have realy good attitudes and work realy hard to make your stay enjoyable. and the drinks are top notch.
My only real negitive thing to say is when they have weddings on the beach the music is loud well past 10:45 and it is almost impossible to sleep especialy if you have to get up early. So it wouldn't hurt to pack earplugs. "thank you for having me as a guest and thank you for the upgrade"

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Prentiss R
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for share your comments whit us, they are really important, because help us to improve our service

We invite you to become part of and also tell us their experiences in the social network Facebook.

We hope to see you again in this your home Golden Crown Paradise soon.

Best regards.