“1st time to PVR-great trip, average resort!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta

Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #46 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“1st time to PVR-great trip, average resort!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Couple of things that made it to where we would never go back GCP, 1st had a pair of shorts stolen out of my bag, staff did nothing about it ( so do not bring anything you care too much about). 2nd never really had anything explained to us, like dining, activities, so we were constantly having to track down staff to explains things to us. 3rd restraunts so so, some really good, Paradise really bad, the ones you had to make reservations @ they would act like they were over booked, then when you would insist to get in ther would only be 4 tables full. 5th the activities sucked, pool volleyball that the court was so small you were crowed together, and could hit the ball as many times as you wanted before going over the net, it was retarded. We are not young and not old, mid 40 50 ish, we like having some activities at resorts, there was nothing really worth speaking of, I guess when you've been to Sandals and other resorts you get spoiled. The good things- location, drinks were great, it was clean, most of the staff very friendly, great beach. Stayed 11/18/12 - 11/25/12

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank JuBoud
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback, your comments; they are very important to us as it help us to improve our service.

We hope see you again for show our commitment with your satisfaction.

Dulce Ramos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Golden Crown Paradise for the first time and having heard all the negative reviews, were wondering if we made the right choice. We were pleasently surprised once we arrived at the hotel. Very smooth check in, friendly staff and great food at the fine dining restaurants. My wife and our friends really enjoyed the sexy coffee's as the show is worth having to put long pants on for at the mandatory dress code restaurants. In the Paradise restaurant they have great salad bar and the beef tenderloin was excellent. Daniel and Christian made excellent margaritas on the rocks and Carlos did a great job with the sexy coffee's. Salvadors was equally as good. The Italian restaurant at the Crown next door was very good and had great service. The French restaurant next door was great as well and Pauly, our waiter and was hands down the best sexy coffee creator. This hotel was alot smaller than others we have been to so it was nice not having to line up or walk far to get a drink, swim or eat and relax. We stayed in an ocean front room and the view was fantastic. We also had the opportunity to stay a few nights in the 2 bedroom penthouse with our friends. We had our own 15 x 9 foot pool which had a huge deck and panoramic view. Priceless!

Room Tip: higher floors on ocean front have better views
2 Thank Holidays1958
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your memorable experiences, we will be waiting at this your home Golden Crown Paradise.

We invite you to become part of and also tell us their experiences in the social network Facebook.

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at the GCP with my mom from October 19th until November 1st this year. I stayed at the Crown Paradise next door in 2005 and 2010, and this was my first stay at an adults only resort. Because i'm only 22 and October is not a spring break time, I was unsure if I would be one of the youngest people at the resort.

Obviously a lot of Canadians and Americans go to Mexico in February/March more, so I knew to expect mostly Mexicans vacationing this time of year. During the week, the resort was quite slow. On weekends, the resort got quite busy with Mexicans coming for a couple days.

Even when the resort was busier, there were always chairs by the pool. There are poolside cabana beds as well, which were lovely. They added a few more our second week there. So it's nice to see that they are continuing to improve the pool area. One day the pool closed at 4pm because they were setting up for an event that night. They built a platform on the water for the event, which was really cool to see them set it up.

The ocean water was so great. I've only ever gone to Mexico in February. The warmth of the ocean in October does not even compare to it in February. It is so cold in February! But when you're from Saskatchewan and being by the ocean is quite rare, I liked that I actually could go in the water and not freeze. The weather is also insanely different in October. It got up to 37°C a couple days, and was very humid. It didn't rain though, luckily.

Unfortunately, I started getting sick on the plane, and by my third day there, I needed to see a doctor. My mom spoke to the front desk, who quickly called a doctor for her. Within 20 minutes, the doctor was at the resort and at our room. I had tonsillitis, and he prescribed me antibiotics for that, as well as separate medications to help with all of my symptoms quickly, so I could go back to enjoying my trip as soon as possible. He even wrote out on a separate piece of paper what the medications were, all the instructions on how/when to take them (we don't speak spanish, so we couldn't read the instructions on the box). It was really great how quick and helpful to us he was.

GCP Restaurants:

Salvadors - We went twice to Salvadors during our trip. They have two different menus, and we tried both. There were a few options on the 2nd option I liked, but I wasn't crazy about the other menu. But everyone has their own opinion. The mango mousse on one of the menus was to die for; absolutely delicious. They are not open every day though, so be aware of that if you want to make a reservation, maybe have a back up in mind just in case. One day there was a mix up and we reserved at Paradise and it ended up being closed, and Salvadors was more than accommodating to us and fit us in.

Paradise - We went to Paradise twice. We tried to go three times, but as I mentioned in my comments about Salvadors, it unfortunately was closed one day we had a reservation. When you make a reservation, you can book for the day ahead, which is what we did. This possibly could have been where the confusion was. The menu was absolutely amazing. I don't eat red meat or seafood, so I was a little worried that I would end up having chicken for pretty much every single meal for two weeks, but they also had pasta options. The view was amazing, and was great to see the sunset as we had dinner.

Los Gallos - We only went to Los Gallos once, for dinner. Neither my mom or I are big fans of spicy food, so this was just not really our taste. But the menu was good, as was every course, just not what we prefer.

Bellavista - We had pretty much every breakfast at Bellavista. It's very casual, and you can pretty much order whatever you wanted. On weekends they had a buffet, and you could not order from the menu. I didn't like that as much. I rarely ordered what was actually written on the menu. If I wanted bacon and eggs, that's exactly what they would make, even though it wasn't written on the menu. You don't really get one or two waiters helping you, you get any waiter that happens to walk by your table. This caused some lack of communication and would sometimes take a long time to get something (possibly they thought another person was going to get it?) but they were all very nice and the food was good.

Room Service - The room service food is amazing. We only tried it around dinner time, but it was delicious and they even brought up drinks for us. The mushroom chicken was definitely my favorite. The italian sandwich was also very good.

CPC Restaurants:
When you stay at the GCP, you get full access to the restaurants at the CPC. When you arrive, you get green tickets for the a la carte restaurants at the CPC. For out 14 day stay, we only got 3 tickets. We definitely would have liked more, because the a la cartes there are great.

Japanese - This was the first a la carte we tried, and it was delicious. Every single course was great. I got chicken and vegetables, with rice on the side, as a main entree and the entire meal was amazing. They also have a salad/sushi type area, that you can take food from to go with your appetizers.

Italian - By far, the best meal I had. I was between a few options here, and decided on the chicken parmesan. It was amazing. As was the soup, salad, and dessert. But when it came to the main meal, my plate was completely clean by the end. Delicious. Again, very nice waiters here as well.

French - Very large menu, tons of options. We started with the cheese fondue, as did every other table at the restaurant at the same time as us. It was very good, with bread and fruit on the side. We did not get the sexy coffee, but the table next to us did and it's such a show to watch and looks very good.

Buffet - We had the buffet the first night we got there, and it was delicious. Other nights it didn't look as good. This was a reason I really enjoyed staying at the GCP as opposed to the CPC this trip, because of the extra restaurants. If we wanted to go to the buffet, we could, but we didn't need to.

The only bar we really went to at the resort was The Pub. The bartender was great. Especially the one working in the morning, unfortunately I can't think of his name. The drinks he made were great, and he was always so friends.

Club Nitro - I loved going to Club Nitro. One thing that was different than previous times we have come was the nightly entertainment there. There was something every night, but in the past there were more shows are opposed to interactive nights. There were a few shows (disney, spectacular), but there were just as many interactive nights (karaoke, games). There was also noticeably more spanish spoken during the shows to the guests than there is in February. It's understandable, they need to cater to who is there, and in October is it a lot of people from Mexico. But it did make the shows and games a lot harder to understand. I spent a lot of nights after the show at Club Nitro (my second week, after I got over being sick my first week) and the bartenders there are great. As soon as I walked in my first night, Sergio immediately recognized me and was excited that I came back and asked how many trips this was. It was great that after over two years he instantly knew I had been there before and was happy to see me. The drinks were always fantastic, and another one was basically made before I even asked. During the week, there were very few people at Nitro after the show. I often stayed and chatted with the bartenders until they closed. The security guards were also very nice, and even offered to walk me back to the resort because it was late, even though it was just across the street. It was a fun atmosphere on Fridays and Saturdays, when it is busier. It's so much easier to go across the street than to go downtown, and all your drinks are included.

A great feature of the GCP was the included city tour. We did this pretty early into our trip, and definitely enjoyed it. This was the 4th time we did a city tour, and it was completely different than the last one we did in 2009. It was a different tour company, so that was probably the major change. Because I was still sick when we went, I was nervous about going to the flea market downtown because it is very hectic and loud and hot. The last tour we went on went there, this tour did not. This tour was operated by Tropical Tours (Adventures?). We went to the malecon, which had been redone since we were last in PV. We were taken to the Church, and also a very nice silver shop. The bus then took us up to Mismaloya, which is a stunning area. The tequila tour was here, and was over the water and stunning. Since I was on antibiotics, I did not drink anything, but there were six different tequila samples for everyone to try. We bought multiple chocolate flavoured tequila to bring home for family and friends. After the tequila tour, the bus took us to a restaurant built where the movie The Predator was filmed. Lunch is not included, but it was reasonably prices and very delicious. We were given two hours here to enjoy the water and lunch. Zip lining excursions are also here. I didn't bring a swimsuit, but other people on the tour did and they had a rope swing and the water was gorgeous. It was so clear. Amazing restaurant, that also has a helicopter from the movie right when you walk in.

There was a cruise ship pretty much every single day at the marina. Shopping at the marina is very nice. There is a restaurant there, I don't know the name of it, and was great to stop in for drinks. You can sign a $1 bill and hang it up, and my friends and I did this in February 2010. I remembered where it was, and it is still hanging there. I had my ipod with me, and one of the workers asked me if I wanted to use the internet. We weren't expecting that, but it was definitely nice to be able to check in with everyone while we were having a drink. The code changes every week, but we were shopping a few days later at the Marina and my ipod automatically connected again. Internet at the resort was $8 for an hour or $18 for the day, which is quite expensive. So if you want to shop and get a drink, if you have a small device you can easily carry around, it's a good option to connect to the internet there.

There were a couple maintenance situations that weren't dealt with while we were there. We were in 1310, an ocean view room. There are two elevators, and one stopped working a couple days after we got there. There were people working on them the day it broke, but we never saw anyone else working on it for the rest of our trip. So for our last 10+ days, there was just the one elevator. Because we were on a low floor, we often took the stairs because the elevators were quite small and filled up quickly, even though the resort was pretty empty. The other one was the hand rail going into the pool. It was very loose, since the day we arrived. I don't know if it wasn't fixed because maybe the pool needed to be drained or something for it to be fixed, but it was something I heard a lot of people comment on as they were going in and out of the pool. General maintenance was done often though, which was good. There were people painting the walls around the resort pretty much every day, and generally upkeep was being done.

I love Puerto Vallarta. I hope I can go back soon again, and without a doubt I would go back to GCP in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank rdf212
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experiences; it's nice to know that you enjoyed your stay,

We invite you to join our social network facebook where you'll find promotions and sharing your memories with us

Our goal at Crown Paradise is to create lasting memories, by offering personalized service, plus added values friendly and attentive staff. Your satisfaction is very important for us.

It will be a pleasure to have him back in your home away from home

North Battleford, SK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel is an adult only hotel – but it is a relaxing hotel not a party hotel. It is host to more quiet older adults, not wanting to vacation with children. Some of the younger party groups who book here are often disappointed after the first day.

Check in – Always smooth, pleasant and prompt. All the staff at the front desk are welcoming and friendly and explained all information completely. Received a welcome drink.

Resort Location - Even though this resort does not claim to be wheelchair accessible – it is manageable for someone who is still able to get out of his or her wheelchair or if you are in an electric scooter or chair – you will be able to manage. Only one ramp (the one located near the breeze bar) is not accessible due to the steep grade and you would need assistance to get up. However, when my husband was not with me – there are enough wait staff, security or maintenance staff who will help you.

The hotel is located in a prime location – only 10 minutes away from the airport and located next door to the marine port – next to the resort is a marketplace where you can buy all your souvenirs – it is used by the cruise ships. You would never even need to go downtown to buy your souvenirs. Just go on the days the ships are not in! But don’t miss going downtown!!

Room – We were in an oceanfront, main floor, Jacuzzi room with king size bed. It was very roomy, clean with updated furnishings. The bed was quite firm – hubby loved it, but not for me. All hallways were covered but open on one side, so we were never disturbed by other guests coming or going or rolling luggage echoes. Due to the open air hallways - you can leave your deck doors and main door open and you had a wonderful breeze comes through the room. Housekeeping staff are fantastic and do a great job – of all our trips to this resort we have never had any issues. THe rooms have now been all upgraded with new bedding - first class !!

Food - WOW!! – what can I say, every meal we had at this resort was delicious, flavourful, and the service was wonderful. I did have some friends who did not have positive experiences, such as missed courses, food cold when it arrived, or lack of customer service – but that was only on one occasion. Upon check in you will receive two green slips of paper – these will allow you to book at the restaurants on the sister resort. There are three a la carts – Japanese, Italian and French. Therefore you need to decide which one you will eliminate – would have liked to have all options. Over the years they have changed their menus – a couple of times and they have all been amazing.

They use to have booking at the towel hit in the morning – now they have a new reservation system for dinner. You phone a number between 8am and 2pm and reserve the restaurant you want.

We ate at the following restaurants –

Golden Crown Side has:

Salvador’s – nice quiet dining experience – more so suited for fine dining. The mai·tre d' of Salvador’s ensures you have a fine dining experience, more so then at the other restaurants on the property.

Paradise – Always something for everyone. We eat here the most because dinner is just not the same with Polly. The wait staff are friendly and professional. Even though I cannot drink coffee – the sexy coffee done by Poly is amazing – he will even do a hot chocolate for you. Plus the Paradise has stunning sunset and ocean views!!!

Patio Restaurant and Grill – Golden Crown
- They have the best French toast I have ever had – thick and then rolled in sugar. This restaurant also offers a vegetarian menu. Every other day they offer fresh juices – the Celery and Lime juice was to die for and I am not one who likes juice!!!!

Breezes – Golden Crown
- every other day they offer the same menu – No 5 Sandwich – a Panini sandwich with either ham or turkey (ham was awesome) is a must try also the shrimp tostadas were GREAT!!!! A crispy taco base, with a tasty mayo, five baby shrimp with a fresh slice of avocado on top. My hubby tried the octopus one and he loved it. I never tried the fresh seafood Ceviche or the seafood soup with fresh crab leg on top – due to allergies, but it smelled amazing. The evening sushi at the breeze bar is better then the Japanese restaurant next door.

Pool Bar -– Golden Crown
- you would be fine if you only ate at this little gem. The PORK TACOS are killer. They also offer hamburgers, ribs and nachos.

Club Side – Sister Resort – When you check into the Golden Crown you will receive 2 vouchers per week to eat at a la carts on the sister side. Wish you could book more – as there are three.

Japanese - They have a buffet style service, a main menu and a sushi menu – this restaurant has something for everyone – do not pass it by just because they feature sushi. Ever times we have eaten here it has been amazing!! Wish we could go more

French – Beautiful dining room and views of the sunset. Loved both menus they have featured in the last 5 years. I hope the fondue is still there – loved it.

Pool Bar - ate here once – but wished he could eat there more. The pork burrito is great. They change their menu every other day as well

Buffet – Excellent – only ate here for breakfast once in a blue moon – but some friends of ours ate there almost every meal – they love it. No dress code and no reservations. Not overly wheelchair friendly – as they have a very steep and short ramp to access the food area from seating area. You will need assistance. Also, too many children for my taste; very loud.

The Service - at all the Restaurants – very attentive and friendly!!!!
- You cannot get any better – I will admit I am very picky and can be demanding (due to allergies), so if they meet my standards, I am happy.

The pool – approximately 4 feet deep – perfect for relaxing, floating or swimming laps. A few times a day the pool staff set up aqua size classes, tequila volleyball, water polo, blind volleyball and bingo. Every single member of the Activity Staff are amazing people. They are the reason we keep coming back. Every day at around 3:30 they get everyone up and do s Sun Dance – in order to have sun for the next day – this is fun and easy – make sure to get up and give it a try!!! First three days the hotel was not full and they let you save / reserve your lounge chair with towels. But once the hotel is full they remind you that you cannot save seats at the beach or at the pool and you will lose you towel. There were always enough for all I found. One observation – since this resort is the closest one to the Port – the resort will allow cruise ship customers onto the resort for a fee – I never found that they took over – but I found they did treat the pool wait staff insensitively.

Over the year the pool tiles have stopped being replaced and was not being washed down nightly as it was when we first started coming. But the Resort has new management – and I have heard changes are happening such as new loungers and sun shades.

Evening Shows / Nitro
They have great shows every night, Las Vegas Night, Latin Night, Karaoke Night, and Mexican Night, Disney Night. The activity staff try really hard and they put a lot into the show – they are entertaining. Many families were there from there Club side – a great way to end your day. The shows are from 9:30 – 10:30. Then the bar opens at 11:00. I have gone a couple of night during a 2 weeks stay – good music, loud but not always busy. IS NOW WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE – thanks Management !!!

Also the Activity staff will take you out to local bars for the night – every night is a new location. You meet in the lobby and they will sell you a ticket. This ticket will cover your cab ride there (NOT BACK) and the cover to get into the bar. Some bars offer unlimited drinks / table service for a bit more. I think it is totally worth. You have to go to ZOO Bar and Mandala !!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Tracey E
Dear Guest,

We are pleased that your experience with us has been pleasant, thank you very much for share your comments with us.

Our commitment is to your satisfaction and we are pleased to have met our goal.

I hope see you very soon again in this home away from home,

I would like to invite you to social net facebook

Best regards

Dulce Ramos.
barcelona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I spent three nights in here in mid October because I knew the hotel from staying there a few years ago. I can say the hotel needs a bit of maintenance, specially in rooms and bathrooms. Food and drinks are good accounting for what we spent for each night. The service was really good and most of the staff were absolutely concerned about our well being. Room service is included so you can have breakfast in bed whenever you like it. You can also choose from one of the theme restaurants in the Crown Paradise Club (next door hotel where kids are allowed) to have dinner one night for every two or three that you stay there. We went to the french one and had a good meal except for the fact that we ordered duck and were served beef. We felt cheated and laughed in the face, but besides that the rest our of our holiday was great and we had a good time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank baquery
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to share their comments, are really important because they help us to improve.

Your satisfaction is very important to us, so thank you to share your experiences.

We hopefully allow us to offer our services in the near future.

Best regards
Kingston, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Food was great - 4 stars, never went to the buffet tho. Golf was excellent. Staff were very very good and friendly.
Pool (heated), beach, no complaints.
Adults only is the only way we think. Met may returnees some over 20 times!
The ONLY complaint was there is no bottled beer but just up the street is a large grocery store where you can buy it. They do have some premium alcohol - you just have to ask.
No problem with a/c and didn't hear of any.
We plan on going again next November.

2 Thank Gary-Melody
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share your comments, these are very valuable to us.

We are very pleased to know that your stay was enjoyable, here at your home away from home, Golden Crown Paradise.

Our goal at Crown Paradise is to create lasting memories, by offering personalized service, added values plus friendly and attentive staff. Your satisfaction is the very important to us.

I would like to invite you to social net facebook

Thanks again for your preference. We hope to have you back at your home away from home.

Dulce Ramos.
Boulder Creek, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We just returned from the Golden Crown Paradise. We were there from 11/4-11/11. We had a wonderful wonderful time. The room we had was great, with a jacuzzi on our balacony. The people there at the hotel were friendly and wanted to make sure our stay was great. The food was very good and room service in the morning was perfect. The bar staff at all the bars, remembered you from day one and always wanted to make sure that you got what you wanted. We will return, hopefully next year at the same time. The weather was great and yes the vendors are some times annoying, but you are in Mexico, and they are just trying to make a living. Tipping is very appreciated by the staff. Luis one of the bartenders is awesome and Christine, which is a server on the beach, was always there when you needed her.

Room Tip: If you are ocean side, floor 5 doesn't have a great view, the palm trees are in the way. we wer...
3 Thank gringos13026
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor and for giving us the opportunity to be your host on your vacation.

We appreciate your high opinion of our facilities and service that were provided by our staff.

At Crown Paradise are always ready to welcome and pamper our guests as a compromise.

Thanks again for expressing your opinion and will be my pleasure to welcome you on your next visit here in your home away from home.

Warmest regards