2,750 results
All reviewssky loungeswim up barspring breaknightly entertainmenta la carte restaurantpool sidegreat vacationtime share presentationoverlooking the oceanhot dogswater aerobicsbeach areacab ridecevicheresortpvmario
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Plaza Pelicanos has two sections- Grand and Club. I’ve read previous post by guests in the Club section and want to clarify- the Grand section is a bit nicer. The guests are also a bit older, and it seems quite popular with retired (and very tan) Canadian set. If you are a guest in the Grand section, you are able to use the facilities in the Club section, but not vice-versa. The Club section is a bit cheaper and so it seems logical that the young people hang out there.

A new tower is being built between the two sections in the former gardens. If you see the picture of what the completed building is to look like (last page in a magazine in the lobby,) you might wonder what is to become of the Grand and Club sections. However you might also notice the tower is to be completed in September 2010. Frankly I’d be surprised if it was completed in September 2012. So here is the biggest issue we had with Plaza Pelcanos: Imagine yourself in a beachside cabana bed with a cold drink and nice view of the Bay. Except there is constant grinding, welding, whistling, yelling, and debris being dropped down a chute into dumpsters. Bring your iPod to mask the noise, which will come in handy for the second issue, you have to wear a color-coded bracelet for your entire stay. The hotel uses this for security reasons, but also to note the guests that have purchased the “all-inclusive package*”. If you lose the bracelet, you must pay $50 to replace it. Not a huge deal, but I’d have been much happier if the security guys who check bracelets as you enter the grounds would also keep the beach vendors from sticking their head through the rails constantly, and sneaking up the stairs from the beach, to wake me up to try to sell me lame cowboy hats etc. “Hey mister want to buy….” Also, the constant use of the LOUD PA system for bingo, announcements etc is a mystery to me. How is that relaxing?

*A note about “all-inclusive” – for $75/day you can eat and drink all you want. This could be a good deal for people that plan on setting at the bar all day and are satisfied with mediocre food because there are not waiters at the beach. I’m not a snob, and actually I don’t drink, but I know that a lot of other hotels in PV that send waiters around the beach area and do better for lunch than Hamburgers and French Fries. In fact, after trying breakfast the first day (it wasn’t too bad) we opted for freshness and variety. (Prego, just across from the Grand section has very good breakfast and dinner and great service.)

All in all we had a relaxing week at Pelicanos with our friends and the staff were helpful, aside from the first two days when it was a constant time-share pitch. I finally lost my temper and they seemed to steer clear of us after that. (They told our friend “Senor, we know where you went yesterday, but it’s okay, we are willing to refund your money and give you a discount on the “All-Inclusive” if you sit through a 90 minutes presentation. Yes, he had gone to another company’s time-share pitch, bought discounted tour tickets and somehow they knew? So STRANGE!)

If we were to go back, we’d stay somewhere else (Las Palmas seemed a bit nicer).

Note- Generous friends invited us to use their time-share in Puerto Vallarta, but as it turned out we were unable to get a two-bedroom unit, so each couple had a studio on opposite sides of the building. Our room was clean and efficient, however our friends were kept awake the first few nights by a bad bearing in the ventilation system. The management did a fairly good job of responding to the issue and had it fixed before the third night.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Skihouse132
PelicanosManagement, Guest Services at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2010

Dear Sir. Or Madam;

We really appreciate your comments of your recent stay at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort.

Our guest's suggestions are very important for us, since It is through the comments such as yours that we can continue to improve our services.

We will be glad to welcome you back to our hotel where all the staff will do everything possible to make your stay a pleasant one.

Sincerely;

Reviewed March 4, 2010

We arrived and had a very nice greeting with a bubbly refreshing drink and kind staff. We were asked to come back down after settling in so we could get a map and explanations of the all inclusive. It was nice that there was no high pressure sales tactics. The room was in the older part of the Grand section so it was not updated much, the shower was small and no bathtub. We did have a nice balcony with a peek a boo view of the ocean so it added space to our room and would be nice if you were there with friends to gather outside. The room was very clean and the houskeeping staff did a great job. The pools were perfect, one was more laid back for the quiet times and the other was more a game and play pool which we really enjoyed. The activities staff were fabulous, always smiling and inviting everyone to join in on activities, they had great personalities and made it fun just to hang out at the resort. They also put on shows in the evenings and we enjoyed the talent. We did not eat at the restraunts much, so I cannot rate the food. There were great places to eat everywhere so we chose to test out the city. The drinks were good at a fair price though. One thing that would be an improvement is WIFI in the rooms. We plan on returning again, overall a positive experience.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TropicalDreamer58
PelicanosManagement, Guest Services at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2010

Dear Sir. or Madam;

We at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort would like to THANK YOU for your positive comments! Our main priority is always to give you an excellent service and make your stay a wonderful vacation.

We will be glad to serve you once again in the future.

Sincerely yours;

Reviewed March 1, 2010

Third and last time at Pelicanos. The 20+ stories Sunset crushes everything around ! No more gardens ! Definitely the end of the Club section and very soon when the Sunset will be completed the end of the Grand section. Employees do their best but money rules (...) beware of the time share sharks !!! Sad, sad, sad.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir. Or Madam;

We really appreciate your comments about your recent stay at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort.

It is through the comments such as yours that we can continue improving our services.

We look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Sincerely;

Reviewed February 28, 2010

I do not understand the bad reviews, these people must be VERY high class because I found my stay at the Pelicanos AMAZING and would definitely return. The staff were so friendly, my favorite were the entertainer boys, they were all so funny and wanted to make your stay as good as possible. The service was excellent , and the food was good, I ate there EVERYDAY and did not get sick ONCE. The bars in the pool did close early, but like others have said there is a bar open until 1 and you are allowed to bring your drinks over to the club section. This resort is a great place for family's, as well as teenagers.. the nightlife was AWESOME, I have never had so much fun. Every night at 1030 it is 10 dollars to take a cab to one of the bars in Puerto Vallarta ( they do a different one every night ) it is 35 dollars if you want to do open bar, which is an excellent price. The beds were not as terrible as people say, yes they could have been comfier but I did not wake up sore and they were not "rock hard". Another thing people complain about is the construction, YES there is construction, but it is not LOUD if you couldn't see it you wouldn't even know it was there, I have no idea why people would be complaining about this. I couldn't have asked for a better time, and if ever returning to Puerto Vallarta would most likely stay at the same resort. I highly recommend this resort to anyone that is planning on staying in Puerto Vallarta it was a blast and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank kirstm123

The staff of Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort would like to THANK YOU for your positive comments!

Our main priority is always to give you an excellent service and make your stay a wonderful vacation at all times.

We will be glad to serve you once again during your future vacations at Puerto Vallarta.

Cordially;

Reviewed February 27, 2010

I don't know where these other bad reviews are coming from but I visited Plaza Pelicanos just last week and I had a wonderful time. I stayed all inclusive but there are both options available. The food was was better than I expected! I enjoyed the italian and mexican restaurants very much. The buffets were a little redundant. I enjoyed breakfast the most. If you get sick of the hotel food you always have an option of eating outside the resort. There are plenty of places nearby and I was told they were all excellent. I did not think that the drinks were watered down, in fact I thought that they were too strong at times. As for the people, you couldn't ask for anything more! The service was excellent and everyone was extremely nice!! There are many people who own time shares and visit regularly and they are just as friendly! I felt safer in this resort than I did in my city of Chicago. I thought the resort was very clean and there were always staff cleaning something. The only downfall of my entire trip was that there were ants in our bathroom but in my mind that could have been a lot worse. We told the front desk and they were taken care of immediately. One more thing. I do recommend upgrading to the Grand side. This gives you more access to pools, restaurants and better drinks! It is only an extra $40 per person. This was a great relaxing and fun vacation for a great price!!

• Stayed: February 2010
4  Thank funinthesun074
PelicanosManagement, Guest Services at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2010

Dear Sir. or Madame;

The staff of Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort would like to thank you for your comments of your recent stay at our hotel.

Our main priority is always to give our guest the best service possible. It will be a pleasure to have you once again in your future vacations at Puerto Vallarta.

Cordially;