2,752 results
All reviewssky loungeswim up barspring breaknightly entertainmenta la carte restaurantpool sidegreat vacationtime share presentationoverlooking the oceanhot dogswater aerobicsbeach areacab ridecevicheresortpvmario
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I do not understand the bad reviews, these people must be VERY high class because I found my stay at the Pelicanos AMAZING and would definitely return. The staff were so friendly, my favorite were the entertainer boys, they were all so funny and wanted to make your stay as good as possible. The service was excellent , and the food was good, I ate there EVERYDAY and did not get sick ONCE. The bars in the pool did close early, but like others have said there is a bar open until 1 and you are allowed to bring your drinks over to the club section. This resort is a great place for family's, as well as teenagers.. the nightlife was AWESOME, I have never had so much fun. Every night at 1030 it is 10 dollars to take a cab to one of the bars in Puerto Vallarta ( they do a different one every night ) it is 35 dollars if you want to do open bar, which is an excellent price. The beds were not as terrible as people say, yes they could have been comfier but I did not wake up sore and they were not "rock hard". Another thing people complain about is the construction, YES there is construction, but it is not LOUD if you couldn't see it you wouldn't even know it was there, I have no idea why people would be complaining about this. I couldn't have asked for a better time, and if ever returning to Puerto Vallarta would most likely stay at the same resort. I highly recommend this resort to anyone that is planning on staying in Puerto Vallarta it was a blast and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank kirstm123
PelicanosManagement, Guest Services at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2010

The staff of Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort would like to THANK YOU for your positive comments!

Our main priority is always to give you an excellent service and make your stay a wonderful vacation at all times.

We will be glad to serve you once again during your future vacations at Puerto Vallarta.

Cordially;

Guest Service

Reviewed February 27, 2010

I don't know where these other bad reviews are coming from but I visited Plaza Pelicanos just last week and I had a wonderful time. I stayed all inclusive but there are both options available. The food was was better than I expected! I enjoyed the italian and mexican restaurants very much. The buffets were a little redundant. I enjoyed breakfast the most. If you get sick of the hotel food you always have an option of eating outside the resort. There are plenty of places nearby and I was told they were all excellent. I did not think that the drinks were watered down, in fact I thought that they were too strong at times. As for the people, you couldn't ask for anything more! The service was excellent and everyone was extremely nice!! There are many people who own time shares and visit regularly and they are just as friendly! I felt safer in this resort than I did in my city of Chicago. I thought the resort was very clean and there were always staff cleaning something. The only downfall of my entire trip was that there were ants in our bathroom but in my mind that could have been a lot worse. We told the front desk and they were taken care of immediately. One more thing. I do recommend upgrading to the Grand side. This gives you more access to pools, restaurants and better drinks! It is only an extra $40 per person. This was a great relaxing and fun vacation for a great price!!

• Stayed: February 2010
4  Thank funinthesun074
PelicanosManagement, Guest Services at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2010

Dear Sir. or Madame;

The staff of Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort would like to thank you for your comments of your recent stay at our hotel.

Our main priority is always to give our guest the best service possible. It will be a pleasure to have you once again in your future vacations at Puerto Vallarta.

Cordially;

Guest Services

Reviewed February 26, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Plaza Pelicanos for 4 nights in mid-January. Check-in was seamless and we were greeted with a delicious welcome drink (I was disappointed they did not serve the drink anywhere except upon arrival). We stayed in the Grand Section, which was without a doubt worth the money for the Infiniti Pool alone, which I will get to later. The room was very basic -- beds, TV, balcony (we had a horrible view..but we didn't mind), mini fridge, and a very nice, large bathroom. A few things about the room:
-Our mini fridge was stocked often. Somehow we received more than the 2 complimentary bottles of water -- we were refilled almost everyday
-The beds were the worst beds I have ever slept on in my life. EXTREMELY hard -- we woke up and were sore in the mornings because the beds were so hard. Horrible.
-We did not have an alarm clock in our room, but after calling the front desk, one arrived very quickly
-Bathrooms were very nice, spacious, and the shower had amazing water pressure

We spent our trip enjoying time by the pool and admiring the sights and view from the resort. The pools were a bit chilly, but very clean. The infiniti pool was amazing --- there really are no words to describe how beautiful it was to relax and watch the sunset. We even saw a school of dolphins one day right before the sunset...it was awesome. The hot tub on the 8th floor was nothing to write home about -- it did not get very hot, but the views from up there were fantastic.

Food and Drinks: I am an extremely picky eater and I managed to leave every meal feeling full, however I can imagine that if we were there any longer I would have grown tired of the food. Breakfast was by far, the BEST meal of the day. Good selection and the omelet station was excellent. Lunch buffet was OK -- I recommend grabbing a burger (they also had chicken burgers) and fries from the snack bar by the pool. Dinner buffet was fine. They also serve late-night snacks, which was nice. The drinks were good -- they are ready to serve you as much as you'd like! I did not try any of their specialty or frozen drinks -- I stuck to vodka and soda water with lime (the limes there were sooo good). If you want your drink strong, request your beverage to be "muy fuerte" and you'll be falling on your bum an hour later! You ask and you shall receive! I recommend bringing your own insulated mug -- the glasses they serve drinks in are quite small and the mugs keep your drinks colder, longer. The bartenders were very friendly and remembered what drinks you enjoyed. Here are my thoughts on the specialty restaurants (we didn't have a problem making reservations at any spot):
Italian: DISGUSTING! I had some ravioli that had a questionable sauce and filling. My boyfriend had the pizza, which was edible. I ended up eating most of his pizza because I couldn't bear to even look at the Ravioli.
Mexican: We found this to be very delicious. We both enjoyed a tomato, basil, and mozzarella salad (although it wasn't called that on the menu) and boy it was fantastic. GREAT GREAT GREAT service in this restaurant too.
Japanese: We also found this restaurant very tasty. We had the chicken and steak teriyaki and they were quite good. Excellent service here as well.

The activities were nothing too exciting -- they had announced a ping pong tournament one day and my boyfriend signed up -- turned out he was the only one that wanted to play, but the staff member played with him and they had a great time. They had bingo and water exercise, which was very entertaining to watch. We did not see any of the evening shows, so I cannot comment on those. They had 2 bands perform one afternoon and that was AWESOME! It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, and the live music was such a treat. We all danced and drank the afternoon away....

We took the bus into downtown (around 50 cents each) and that was a really nice way to spend the afternoon. Taking the bus really gives you a feel for the local culture and when in Rome...do as the Romans do!

Overall we had a great stay at the Plaza Pelicanos. Great staff, nice resort, clean, and extremely relaxing -- excellent for the price. We would go back and you should have no worries visiting this resort! Enjoy your vacation and keep in mind -- vacations should be relaxing so go with the flow and you'll have an enjoyable time.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alonzo48
Reviewed February 26, 2010

We stayed at the Plaza Pelicanos (Club Section). The hotel was very clean, the staff was very attentive and extremely friendly. In fact once we saw our room viewed a dark court yard, we asked for a pool view room and they accomodated us right away. Very impressed. Eventhough we had purchased at the Club Section, we didn't have any issue issue using the Beach Club pool and ammenities. In fact, that is where we spent most of our week, as the Club pool was more family oriented. Now, that didn't mean you could use the "Grand" section further down, but there was plenty of signage indicating that.
As for the food, there was an impressive selection during our stay and never any problem of food running out. The hours of operation allowed for any schedule. In addition, there is a "snack hut" at the Beach Club pool with burgers, nachoes and chicken wings. "Caruso's" a la carte was a bit skimpy on the food, but it was still very good.
As for the bars, there wasn't one time that we couldn't get a drink. Eventhough some of the bars closed at 7:00, there was still a lobby bar, open till 1:00 am. There was nothing stopping you from bringing drinks from the lobby, back to the Club Pool (40 feet away). The staff were very attentive and quickly had you a drink. Most places require a big tip to get them to remember you, but these people were great. I tipped only cause I wanted to.
We didn't come to this place expecting much, but we were pleasantly surprised. We knew this wasn't a 5 star, but for a 3+ it did a great job of making us comfortable.
Final note, beds in Mexico are hard, all of them are....Don't complain. The pillows are lumpy...go buy one from Sorianos or Mega. It will make the difference.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank markus1972
Reviewed February 25, 2010

we stayed at the plaza pelicanos. Never again. When we were looking at hotels online we could only find pics of a beautiful hotel. This was the pelicanos 2. unknown to us, we were booked into pelicanos 1. Our hotel was terrible. Here are some features of the pelicanos 1:
- drinks are definetly watered down.
- the pool is small
- doesnot have a view of the ocean
- outside bar closes at 7pm
- even though it says online you can. YOU CANNOT USE or the pelicanos 2
- the gym costs an extra $25 per person per day to use

We would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple