2,751 results
All reviewssky loungeswim up barspring breaknightly entertainmenta la carte restaurantpool sidegreat vacationtime share presentationoverlooking the oceanhot dogswater aerobicsbeach areacab ridecevicheresortpvmario
Reviewed July 22, 2006

My sister and I had a 1 bedroom suite that overlooked the plaza in front. When we weren't walking around or taking the bus somewhere, and eating local food, I loved to watch from the balcony, the daily life of the hotel warfare between the 3 hotels. walk to the main street (1 blk. away )and take the bus downtown for a dime. I have never felt more comfortable in a foreign country than in PV. and the city water is absolutly the best we have ever drank. check it out, PV has the cleanest water in the world. we drank it for two weeks. out of the tap. LOVED PV!

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
9  Thank ravenklaws
Reviewed July 8, 2006

My wife and our two daughters(17 and 22 years old) stayed at the Pelicanos for a week in June of this year. We own Shell time share, and the Plaza is newly in the SVC system, so we gave it a try.
The first thing that bothered us is that we ended up paying 34 dollars for a van ride from the airport. We didn't know it was a bad deal until we took a cab back to the airport for our departure and paid 13 dollars.
When we walked into the room, we were greeted by a cockroach the size of a small rat, on it's back and dying. We got over it and went to see the concierge to sign up for a timeshare appointment( it drops the all- inclusive by 50% for four days, making it $24.00 per person). The Concierge(actually thinly disguised Shell vacation club employees) did her best to recommend each and every destination which apparently gave her some kickback, while giving us nearly nothing in information about the Hotel.
We were kept awake until 2:30 most nights by rampaging teenagers. Apparently in Mexico, it is something of a tradition to drop your kids off in the weeks after graduation to run in packs through the hotels, while frustrated Gringos shout at them and the Hotel's staff sleeps peacefully in rooms diametrically located on the other side of the hotel(unlike ours, which was on the runway between the most popular party rooms). Finally, after repeated calls to the front desk, an employee came and yelled at the kids for a while, causing them to scatter like gulls on the beach flying from a Labrador Retriever.
At 8:00 on the dot the next morning, a hammering that sounded like an escape attempt from Alcatraz began in a dungeon under our room. when confronted with this, the desk staff pleasantly informed us that a spa/weight room was being constructed "For your enjoyment". When we informed the desk person that we were not enjoying the banging very much, we got a very pleasant "So sorry, we cannot do anything." We asked to be moved, but repeated calls got no response. Our room was in section two, and although it has a nice view, there was not a single piece of furniture that was comfortable to sit on.
In the Hotel's favor are it's lower level staff. We were treated like kings without exception by everyone from gardeners to maids. The food was acceptable and plentiful, and the drinks were OK. The grounds were immaculate.
Unfortunately, we keep comparing every vacation we take to the ones we've had in Hawaii, and they just don't match up. This one was no exception. We have used our SVC ownership three times, and every time was disappointing.
We will not go back to the Plaza Pelicanos.

10  Thank Atomaker
Reviewed June 28, 2006

I am so pleased w/ the resort. I am a Shell Vacations member so I was able to stay in a one bedroom suite. Talk about a huge and gorgeous room. Great ocean view as well. Even the locals will tell you that this resort has one of the best beach front locations in the area. I cannot express enough how wonderful the staff was. You right in the middle of everything. The all-inclusive was super inexpensive, food and drinks were great. Again, the staff was so pleasant and helpful. They went out of their way to make everything perfect! I'm going back again next year.

13  Thank hey_suki
Reviewed June 18, 2006

My wife and I just got back from Plaza Pelicanos. We won a 4 night stay via a Shell Vacations giveaway during a recent timeshare sales effort (which we didn't join).

There are two sections to this resort. Section II is where we stayed. They are currently improving rooms - we stayed in a pre-upgraded room. Room was fair - I wouldn't call it luxury, but it wasn't a dump either. Clean, bed was decent, a/c worked great. A bit too much noice got through the adjoining doors that connect suites - so if your neighbors are getting up at 5:30am, and chatting, you will hear them.

The Pool was great - a great place to relax and enjoy the day. In fact, our goal was to relax, and we stayed at the pool all three days.

One has to beware the selling that goes on. This isn't limited to Plaza Pelicanos by any means, and goes on whereever you may be. Everyone wants to get you into a timeshare presentation. Just tell those folks you're leaving "tomorrow" and they'll leave you alone.

I would recommend this hotel highly for $100 night or less. Anything more, and you can probably find a better place. However, Sectiion 1 has been upgraded, and looks more like an upscale resort.

Overall, very happy with the stay at Plaza Pelicanos, but for a bit of early morning noise from neighbors - maybe the new upgrades resolves this. Location is great, one can make the walk downtown.

10  Thank Snowdog999
Reviewed May 30, 2006

We just got back from our first trip to Puerto Vallarta last night. We now have a great admiration and respect for Mexican culture thanks, in part, to the Plaza Pelicanos staff.

HOTEL GROUNDS/LOCATION
We arrived in the late afternoon and found the hotel to be really clean and well-maintained. Once we were able to walk the grounds, we were impressed by the size of the property (both sections 1 and 2) considering that the hotel is surrounded by tons of other hotels. The pools were pristine, deck chairs and umbrellas were clean and plentiful. The "infinity pool" is pretty cool. The hotel is only about 15-20 mins from both the airport (north) and the older, downtown area (south)--very convenient. There are a few little shops, markets and cafes in the immediate area, completely within walking distance.

Only once did we have to actually have to wait for a taxi. Otherwise, there was always at least one waiting at the taxi station out front.

ACCOMMODATIONS/AMENITIES
Our room was on the 2nd floor of section 2, almost directly above the lobby. The room and bathroom were both very clean with nice decor. We ended up with 2 double beds even though it was just my wife and I. We initially thought it would have been nice to have a king size bed instead but found having the other bed to lay our stuff (souvenirs we just purchased, backpacks after a day trip, etc.) on top of to be convenient.

Our balcony was spacious, though the lounge chairs had a few "gifts" from birds that had recently perched themselves above. We had a very partial ocean view--basically, if you stood on the leftmost part of the balcony, you could see it. The rest of the view was basically of the roof above the restaurant. Didn't matter since we didn't use the balcony much anyway. Our closet had an electronic safe we found to be very helpful. Once we got help figuring out how to use it, we used it every time we went out and went to bed. The temperature of the room was nice. The thermostat was easy to use (once I figured out that I was making it WARMER instead of COOLER--my fault) and worked flawlessly. Tile floors throughout were a GREAT idea because of the humidity. Our feet were always cool! We loved the fresh flowers and towel sculputure too. After one evening of being out, we came back to our room and found our bed to be turned down. The comforter was even laid out nicely in kind of a gift wrap design--nice touch!

The bathroom was of decent size although I thought the toilet area was a bit cramped (I'm just an average size guy too). This is nitpicky but there was no place to put the bar of hand soap after we used it so it just laid on the edge of the sink creating a bit of a slimy, soapy mess at times. Water pressure and temperature were great for both the faucet and shower. The overhead light in the bathroom probably needed a new bulb because we had to flip the switch several times on occasion to get it to turn on. We could have asked them to replace it but, we just dealt with it.

There were 2 bottles of water in the bathroom with a sign saying that you get 2 bottles complimentary and if you wanted more, for an additional fee, you could get more from the staff. However, our bottles were replenished daily and we were never charged extra.

STAFF
Very friendly, warm and helpful! Both concierges we dealt with recommended a couple of activities we really loved. The first, recommended by Elena, was a local, out-of-the-way seafood restaurant called La Langosta Feliz. It was our first night there. We took a taxi about 10 minutes to the place, on the 2nd floor of an obscure building located on a steep hill in a residential neighborhood. We were greeted by a trio authentic Mexican guitarists/singers (who even took requests). The food was AMAZING. We got an abundant plate of ceviche for appetizer (couldn't finish it) and a HUGE platter of broiled seafood. Throw in a couple drinks each and a delicious dessert and we ended up paying no more than $60!! Totally hit the spot. Concierge Zeida recommended we get massages at a little place right across the street for $25 each. It lasted an hour and 15 minutes. My wife and I got massaged at the same time. OHHH yesss it was Heaven! Other than those 2 activities, we were always able to get recommendations from the concierges.

FOOD
We managed to get the all-inclusive package at a discount but ended up not making much use of it since we ate out most of the time. Oh well. Our fault. When we did eat, we found the food to be pretty good. There was a nice variety even if you wanted to eat a little healthty. The entrees were always Mexican-themed. They also had fresh fruit, salad, oatmeal and a variety of cereals, an omelette bar and decent desserts and pastries. We didn't mind the food to be primarily Mexican--duhhh, we were in Mexico! You gotta experience SOME culture right? ;) The wait staff were always friendly and attentive.

My wife and I would definitely stay at Plaza Pelicanos again and we would also highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2006