“The Great Escape”

Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort
Ranked #37 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed May 2, 2005

After months of cold and snow, the time for the Great Escape finally arrived on a cold, snowy day in the Pacific North West. It was 10 degrees above zero fahrenheit, the first few days of February, and my wife and I bundled up for our ride to the airport. Once inside the airport terminal we were able to some what shake the cold from our limbs. The boarding of the airplane was on time, and we were soon on our way to Parasise. With a stop over in Los Angeles, we were able to go outside, enjoy some warmth, and then proceed to our next leg of our trip. After five hours of total flight we arrived in Puerto Vallarta. A walk through the terminal, and then into the warm breezes of our tropical getaway. Our taxi ride to the Plaza Pelicanos was delightful with the warm winds flowing through the open windows, and blowing our hair while listening to the tropical birds singing their greetings. We arrived at the hotel, checked into a lovely room, changed our clothes, and went outside to explore our surroundings. Being in shorts, and tank tops, the warm sun felt like it was regenerating our whole bodies. During our week's stay, we enjoyed the many events and attractions this resort offers. We dined at their all inclusive restaurants, had wonderful meals, and each gained a few pounds in the process. We daily visited one of their three swimming pools, laid in the sun with cocktails in hand. We also enjoyed the nightly evening entertainment provided for all the guests. We were treated royally by the staff. We found there was no class distinction here, and all blended in as equals. Our week passed by too soon, and it was time to depart paradise, and head back to the Great Pacific North West. It was a pleasant flight home, and the cold weather didn't seem to bother us as much since we were now reguvenated, and still had the wonderful thoughts of our most delightful experience. We enjoyed our trip so much, we plan on returning in November to help prepare ourselves for the cold snowy winter ahead.

12  Thank porky789
Write a ReviewReviews (2,579)

Ocala, FL
Reviewed May 1, 2005

I wonder if I was staying at the same resort that has gotten such glowing reviews! The hotel we stayed at was the pits. Room had terrible odor, beds were like rocks, as were the sofas (daybeds) in livingroom. Bathrooms were moldy and smelly, same linens on beds the whole time we were there. Forget sitting by the pool unless you went out at midnight to put a towel on a chair to "stake out your spot", . If you were "lucky" enough to get chairs you couldn't breathe for the cigarette smoke. I truly believe many vacationers came to PP to drink and smoke and maybe eat. I never saw anyone come or go each day, they just smoked and drank... Next time we will spend whatever it takes to get a 4-5 star resort, Puerto Vallarta is a great place and I intend to come back, just not to PP.

• Stayed: February 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Colorado
Reviewed April 27, 2005

Hmm...let's see. When we arrived, I was stoked. The grounds are beautiful, and there is the best view of the bay, and the mountains. We were dropped off at section one, and had to walk about 5 minutes to section two- no biggie.

When my boyfriend and I opened the door to our room, I was like, "Are you kidding?" It was so dirty and old. The bathroom was DISCUSTING. The light was hanging down, there was mildew and mold in the shower. I wore my flipflops in the shower because it was so gross. I was highly disappointed in the room, but didn't make a big deal out of it, bc I didn't want to hurt my boyfriends feelings.

At the Pelicanos, it is either: have a nice, clean room with a view of a wall in section one, or have a nasty room with an awesome view in Section two. we chose the view.

It is imperative that you wake up early and snag a spot with your towel by the pool areas (we always went back to sleep after we did this.) If you don't do this, you will not have a chair to lay on all day!

The food was okay (NO mexican food to be found!!!), the pool was cold, drinks weak, and beach rocky. We spent most of our time out in the town. DEFINATELY take a day trip to Yelapa with Vallarta Adventures. It was the best day we spent there. Also, check out the Romantic Zone- so cute.

On the last day, I got food poisoning from the watermelon (from the restaurant in section two.) I puked on the whole flight home!!!!!

Overall, we had a great time in PV, but we would not go back to Pelicanos. The only cool thing about the place was that they actually had Mexicans staying there.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 14, 2005

We stayed at the Pelicanos from Mar.21-28. This was our first trip to Mexico
and had a great time (we are 21/22). Our room was in the garden section. The room was nice and clean - and the maid does a very good job (if you tip). Treat the staff well and they will treat you the same. We liked this section of the hotel - it was very secluded and you didn't get that cold ocean breeze. There were a lot of families around - but they didn't bother us at all.
The food was excellent.. no complaints at all, lots of variety and neither of us got sick.
The pool (at the garden section) was nice and clean. Excellent daily activities at the pool. Drinks were great - they sure know how to make a margarita!! There isn't really a beach here though - very rocky and the water was really rough every day we were there... so we never took advantage of the kayaks, or boogie boards.
I don't understand why people have bad reviews of this hotel (maybe people have very high expectations). We had no bad experiences and would definately recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: May 2005
12  Thank jeneldobko
Reviewed April 10, 2005

My friend and I went here for a leisurely, but fun Spring Break getaway. It was not crazy full of wild college kids (which was good) but it was full of families and locals. I enjoyed the locals being there to practice speaking Spanish. The beach was so crowded though (because of Easter) and not safe for two American 20somethings. We got majorly harassed by the guys who were nowhere near sober, so be careful. (That obviously has nothing to do with the hotel)
The rooms were clean, staff very nice. The pool was cold though and with the weather mid 80's many people did not get in. The food was NOT good at any place although I am glad I read about going to section 1 beacause the food was slightly better there out of the 2 actual restaurant choices. We went out to eat 2 out of 3 nights in Puerto Vallarta which actually was about the same as paying for the lobster steak dinner at our "all inclusive" resort. The liquor is NOT top shelf and drinks are weak. There is no where to eat after 10:30pm so late nighters be aware. You should also get your fill of Mexican food before you come to this hotel they don't even have chips and salsa nor quesadillas. Needless to say I will not be visiting again.

9  Thank Fredeez
Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2005

I have no idea why there were so many complaints about this resort!! Are you people all high maintenance or something???? I went with some friends during spring break. The location of the hotel is good; it doesn't cost too much to take a bus downtown or you can even walk. The weather was all right while we were there but it was cloudy most days. The beach isn't that great..if you are looking for clear water and white sandy beaches go on the other side of the gulf (Cancun etc....). The food was fine! Yes, it is repetitive, but there is always a lot of choice at the buffet. There was also a water cooler there that you can use to fill up your water bottles. The bartenders were great!!! Especially Eduardo!!! The pools at the resort are not heated although I'm not sure why you would want them to be warm when it is freakin hot outside... Our room was clean but it was in a bad location...our wonderful scenery was a back alley! The night life was great; it is definitely a party city! While we were there, there seemed to be a lot of families and a lot of spring breakers. If you read other reviews and are scared...don't be.

• Stayed: February 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Regina, SK, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2005

We have been to the Puerto Vallarta twice, stayed both times at the Pelicanos hotel - loved it!!! We stayed in Section 2, on the ocean side.

I am not sure what you complainers are talking about........we don't have a single bad thing to say about this hotel. 1/ the food was delicious, never had anything that we didn't like, 2/ the hotel staff were VERY friendly, 3/ the maid service was good, we always had our room made up, 4/ the pools were clean, 5/ location of the hotel was awesome, close to everything.

We enjoyed a few activities outside the hotel also - the Pirate Ship, Rhythm of the Nights & Sail down South - I think that is what is called( you spend a day on a catamaran ending up at Las Animas for lunch and catching some rays). Las Animas has an awesome beach - soft, powdery sand and clear, clean ocean water. I would recommend all three - definitely worth your money!!!!

Because we had such a great time at this resort we have had some of our family and friends also visit - they also enjoyed themselves and have since returned. We plan to return next year too!!!

A great resort to stay at - believe me!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2004, traveled on business