“Family of 4 adults not disappointed at Pelicanos II”

Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort
Ranked #35 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 26, 2009

I'm writing this review in balmy 4 degree weather and snow in Denver, after returning from Plaza Pelicanos Grand (II) in PV,MX. (1/17-1/24/09). I wish to thank those who warned us about food at resort. Sister-in-law and brother went to timeshare presentation and said only the pineapple tasted good. The rest of the time we cooked some breakfasts and afternoon snacks in our room on the 7th floor, and the evening out for dinner in town.
Typically we go to Cancun, but wanted to see whales-& we did!!

Most know I write an honest review so hear goes (it's a little long)
First off KNOW the Pelicanos your staying at either I or II and read the review that's applicable to that resort. I read the Jan.
Vancouver review where brother and I familes are 6 figure income. So I guess we're the rif-raf. Let me say we met some Canadians who didn't have jobs(hmmm) so how did they get to Pelicanos II you ask?? The Canadians informed brother and I that they went thru a travel agent. Agent found the group of 8 a suite like ours 3 floors below us with 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room and balconies. Price quoted $1900 each BUT for another $100 all could stay two weeks all-inclusive including airfare. Now after spending $1500 just to get there to stay at hotel and NOT all-inclusive would I have paid $500 more for a second week? (read my first sentence). SO IF YOU WANT SOMETHING TO GET UPSET ABOUT--THIS IS IT FOLKS!! THE CANADIANS ARE GETTING A LOT BETTER DEALS THAN US AND MOST FOLKS AT THE BAR POOL AND LATE NIGHT PARTYING BEING BELLIGERENT ARE CANADIANS (no offense to those emailers of mine from the north who I know are calm cool and collected). My brother included pricing in his comments handed in last day.

Now for the hotel:
Check in was easy-many thanks to Gabriel
Stay was great only a couple of days where once our tub was leaking on downstair guests. And second time, a main water line in town was being repaired, so use of water limited. Rest of the time Oscar and big fella at front desk were more than accomodating with problems. Met the big boss Randolph who loves Mexican jewelry. Saw a couple of shows the one I liked most was the Mayan type show lots of dancing and pictures.
SOME folks must not read reviews before leaving to hotel. I did and got a huge tip that on top of hotel there is a seating area and jaccuzi's. Went up there most nights for sunsets and one evening brother and I saw a mana 3'x3' in beach swimming area. And our last evening saw many whales, one breached 5 times, once with half spin then flippers on top of water, along with mom & baby. Hohla to fella at Holiday Inn I kept in contact with along with brother down by pool bar via walkie talkies on chnl 6. Also see pelicans flying just over your head-sweet!
Now for suntanning it is by the pool. IF you go down by the metal gate your sure to be hit on by the vendors. We did walk on beach Sunday where more nationals were enjoying beach and vendors more at bay--only had to say NO a handful of times. But we did gain entrance into Sheraton off beach and had some great guac and chips with salsa including drinks pretty reasonable. The beach isn't Cancun so you have to wear sandals but there's trade offs-like NO pirate ship that sets off fireworks in evening and watching the lit up cruise ships leaving port out to sea. And no our room didn't smell moldy we didn't run the air conditioner just opened our patio doors to hear ocean. Made sure our safe was locked at night all $$ credit cards etc. secure-NO robberies also don't use a combo of b-day etc use some way out # and don't duplicate a same # either incase of greasy/oily fingers. Room kept clean except on water main day (hola Sylvia) and notices in bathrooms about changing out items (read). We tipped 50 pesos a day for both couples, and we cleaned
our own mess in the kithcen (did bring Dawn from home).

Now if you cook in your own room I suggest going to SORIANA mexican super market who has the best prices on groceries and liquor however, per a blonde lady, the liquor department has been rearranged and the wine selection is now limited. So for that head down to the MEGA mart. Got some great $7 mexican wine white and rose. Also, outside SORIANA is SUPER CHICKEN-rotisserie style cooking whole chickens, drippings go on veggies below, w/tortilla's make a great lunch/snack. There is a mall and if you don't like the coffee selection, we found a coffee shop w/some great coffee to buy and bring home--had some this morning with my thoughts of warm PV & waves & pelicans...
There are money exchanges and banks everywhere you look so just shop a bit to get the best exchange rate for your dollar.

Now for massages: Got a tip on T/A going to metamorphosis downtown and Magestic out the front door and across the street by a glass shop. Wives wanted to try hotel first. Sister-in-law got a great massage from tall lady with glasses who speaks english without an accent--so she stayed with her. Wife got a bad massage and wanted to join brother and I at Magestic. All of us rec'd top notch service for $25 an hour and fifteen minutes. Mine was Claudia, wife had Eve who speaks english, and brother had Marianne, met the boss as well and all 3 returned for a second massage the day before returning home-wanted to bring back. As far as manicures/pedicures the hotel was the best for the $$.

Went on whale trip and booked thru KON-TIKI. It's a little more but the boat has a upper/lower deck. BEST place to go is lower deck, front of boat, there is a plank w/railing, walk out (yes like the movie Titanic-DeCaprio) stand there with wife as your blocker to keep others away, who finally realize you have a super spot for pictures. MAKE sure your camera works at 100% capacity before going getting great pics! IF you got the $$ then take the sailboat tour, fella in-line at DIA, said he was out on the sailboat when I saw the whales breach 5x's-he said it was fantastic quite an experience!!

Now the restaurants: To get some great tips ask "Tomorrow Guermoro" tell him senior chocolate from Denver sent you. He works out front door at the bell boy station. Also, Taxi drivers.
Brother and I went to Happy Lobster that was closed on inauguration day (americano's at TV's). So crazy guy in Taxi 245 (Javier) took us to HL's brother's restaurant Caustueo's, it's just up the street passing the activity center where soccor, baseball, softball, basketball, and track is played. We had 3 grilled lobsters split between us, veggies, rice, salad, bread and to die for flan on thin chocolate cake and coconut pie-to die for! add some melted butter on top of it and just roll your eyes...with multiple cervesas all total $125 pesos including the tip. Cafe De Olla's was good but busy and lots of gays who aren't ashamed of doing PDA while we were there. Fish bowl margarita however, sister-in-law didn't feel well so might use Poncho Villa $1 a gal.
Le Dolce Vita Italian restaurant has upper and lower floors. Dressed up? go upper floor and see a great sunset (and ask for Looney). Just whale watched then go lower floor ask for Oscar.
Ate there twice only the spinach lazagna was so/so but the rest great. Met the owner who's from Italy and speaks little english. They did have a spaghetti, tomato, onion, red pepper, w/bacon dish on the left side of menu that tasted like grandma's-yum!
River Cafe had good mexican and fish dishes. Had flan for desert that was made of real cream that melts in the mouth.
Wives went to Palenta vegetarian that's by the old chuch up a hill street. Buffet style, many selections, and $ resonable. Now for meat eaters go to Brazil's. $20 gets all-you-can eat of meat, ribs, chicken, all grilled over an open fire, it's two levels, no lines, and the front door guy is working on an English degree. IF you can handle Mexican restaurants go to OCHO TOSTADA located out front door of hotel off to left behind Blockbuster in aqua blue building on corner--huge shrimp. Now for Roberto's. It was on our list also recommended BUT when we we pulled up in the taxi it looked almost vacant. There were two other tables besides us and here's why. 1-Chips came out stale, we told the waiter who picked them up but never to return any fresh. 2-Appetizers brother and I split was a bit greasy and wives salad had wilted lettuce. 3-I was told that the $35 lobster and shrimp dinner was on special for $29. When it arrived there was only the tail, and 4 coconut shrimp (brother promised one-so I got three avg. size) with rock hard carrots. The only grace was flan brother and I split. THE most important thing--this was our last night together in PV before returning to Denver/DesMoines and wanted privacy. Well there were two mariachi's one we listened to because wives told it was free then informed he played for tips--gave $40 pesos. Next guy we told no. Then then there were roses for sale, next guy w/key chains, so we reminded el capitain we wanted solitude and it wasn't happening, informed also head guy at front door--so Roberto's is off the list, thank god we didn't get sick.

Overall our four family members had a good time, your life is what you make of it. Would I go back---sure. I liked the old style PV downtown, and walking along Malecon ave. But Nuervo Vallarta appeared to me more Cancun looking when we dropped off whale watchers (some yacht names you'll recognize) if that's what your looking for stay there, it's about 10-15 minutes out of PV. However, when my brother had his Swiss watch fixed for 20 pesos my watch taken apart for nada but couldn't fix thin guy sold me a casio for $10 located in the white aladin looking tower by bus stop--well you get the idea.......IT Beats Freezing in Denver.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank dagoDenver

Reviewed January 26, 2009

We just visited Plaza Pelicanos for the first time and enjoyed the property very much. We got good information from the resort and also Tripadvisor re: cabs from the airport and got to the resort easily. We are timeshare owners there, so had a separate check-in desk with no wait. We were given all the information we needed to understand the hotel grounds and ammenities. The staff was attentive and very friendly for our entire stay. Our timeshare is in the Grand Section, which we quickly learned was the nicer end of the resort. Our unit (a two bedroom with three full baths) was very nice- well appointed , very clean and comfortable and decorated in bright colors, typical of Mexico. We stayed in a unit on the 6th floor, ocean front, just above the infinity pool with a wraparound porch. We could see all of Bahia de Banderas from Mismaloya to Punta Mita. It was gorgeous. The food we tried ran from very good to just o.k., but we thought the breakfast buffet was the best deal. The tortilla soup in the Pergola Restaurant was the best we tasted anywhere in town. We only paid the “all inclusive” band for one day. That seemed to be enough, the resort is very reasonably priced so the bracelet hardly seemed worth it. Besides, there are too many other places in town to try. We received a discount on our bracelets by attending a timeshare “owner update” meeting on the first morning after we arrived. We were able to pay 50- each instead of 90-, which would not have been worth the price. It did seem, however, that no one we met actually paid full price. The only issue we had with our stay was the Shell Resort timeshare sales presentation. We’ve done them in the past and have never been to one where the salespeople had such a difficult time taking no for an answer and staying within the 90 minute timeframe promised. As expected, no less than four representatives showed up at the table for their part in the “presentation”. At the end of our two hour meeting (after we told them we were leaving and requested our certificate as promised) they got downright rude. Our “friend” Jorge wasn’t very friendly anymore! But in spite of the Shell timeshare people, we enjoyed the stay. The beach was clean and sandy, though a strong undertow exists just in front of the hotel. The pools are very nice: clean, accesible and convenient. The pool bar had good drinks, reasonably priced. People all over town seemed friendly and happy to have our business. We enjoyed Puerto Vallarta and the Plaza Pelicanos. We just won’t do the timeshare thing again…..Not worth the savings. But we will return to this resort in the future: Great location, great service and gorgeous units.

• Stayed: January 2009
2  Thank ChicoStateMom
Reviewed January 25, 2009

January 25th
Roseau MN
We stayed at the Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort January 12-19th in the Grand section. The hotel staff is wonderful and the whole resort is kept so clean and nice. This was our first time to
Puerto Vallarta and we had a great time and would go back in a heart beat and stay at the Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort again. I read a lot of negative reviews after booking this resort and was really worried but I think they were all looking for a luxury resort because we found nothing but wonderful staff that was always there to serve you with a big smile.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank heatlover
Reviewed January 20, 2009

We have just returned from Hotel Pelicanos after 2 weeks of vacations, 2 adults and our 2 daughters.
This hotel consists of 3 sections and not too many people are aware that you can use more then you see at first. There is Section I, (Club Section), another Section I, (Time-share white building, where all activities take place), and Section II, (Grand Section).
Although we have stayed in Section I, we had there all we needed, lessons, activities, shows, etc. The only difference was that we did not have the access to Grand Building, (as they have the bar open 24/7, and our bars were closed at 1a.m.- not a big deal!). And their facility was newer, but very squized, which we did not like.
Section I has huge space, tennis corts and the Adult Section with jacuzzi, swimming pool and the bar, there have also two swim-up bars, (I recommend the one near Lobby at night as it is heated).
Food was about the same in both sections, a bit different though compared to Cuba or Honduras, and very spicy, (no wonder: we are in Mexico). They could have more variety, however, the restaurants a la cart compensated everything! Worth going!
Staff was very friendly and unbelievebly professional, (many people work there 24hrs/day). And they do not expect you to tip them all the time, like they do in Cuba.
For Kids they have Kids Club with trampoline.
In general: very clean resort. And what is the most important: Service was the best ever! They treated us like a king and queen,(our neighbours from Las Palmas Hotel were jelous!).
If you want nice vacations, you shoul go there! Hurry up before April when they will start to build a huge Time-share complex in the Palms Park, and everything wont be the same anymore.
Have lots of fun like we did!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank BeataMontreal
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I traveled with my boyfriend and 2 other friends. We arrived in the early morning around 4am PV (Puerto Vallarta) time. All the lights were out in the halls and you could see that the hotel and surrounding area was very crumbly looking. Those traveling with a better tour company would probably not experience this. We realized that they turn the lights out after around 2 o'clock A.M.

The hotel itself is adequate when viewed in daylight hours. It's actually a fairly size-able complex with a pool located in a courtyard away from the beach and a beach front pool with volleyball net (this area is louder and they play music all the time). The whole hotel appeared to be done up in a nifty looking tile (looks like a natural stone). The staff works hard to keep things clean, but the facility is quite old. Possibly state of the art when it was built, but it's behind the times nowadays.

The food they serve is not very good. We had an all-you-can-eat package that included drinks, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I am not a chef and I know I can make better tasting food. If you just want beautiful weather and you don't want to spend much, this is fine. You can always have salad, fruit, milk, and juice. The drinks are basic. The beer is Corona, and there is a short list of mixed drink (in addition to all your basic well drinks). The in hotel bars and restaurants all make the same thing whether you pay or not. So, you won't be eating and drinking fancy at the Pelicanos.

The front desk staff is terrible. They just are not very accommodating or knowledgeable. Our room had a very loud air conditioning fan, a bathroom door that trapped you in, and the lock-box didn't work. They clearly appeared incapable or unwilling to try and help us, so we let it go (one sometimes avoids making to big of a stink in a foreign country that you don't understand well). Then, they strung us along on getting an extended check out time for several days... even though we were willing to pay $90 U.S. for the extra 8 hours. This was partly the tour company's fault (TMR ... Tourisme Mont Royal). However, it was 100% the fault of the front desk for not giving clear answers.

All in all... the hotel did what it needed to do. It had a hard working staff running the place. The cab really is only about 15 minutes from Zona Romantica and they are waiting out front all day (100 pesos including tip = $7.70). The exception was the difficult front desk (probably reflecting poor planning and policies created by management). It was certainly not a nice hotel, though. Having spied many hotels around PV... I would suggest there simply aren't many nice hotels.

If you can, stay in the "Grand" section of the complex. It's way nicer and has better services. Get it in writing, though!

One more thing, La Playa! The beach is smallish where the hotel is located (and certainly not as pretty as Los Muertos). However, it's also completely uncrowded. You can do your jet skis or whatever there and there are fewer peddlers bugging you. Otherwise, go to Playa Los Muertos and experience the amazing visual effect of PV. If you don't mind walking, you can save a few pesos by having them drop you off at the beginning of the board walk. It's only about 50 pesos plus a tip from there.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank btvdan
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I just returned from my second stay at Plaza Pelicanos, and was a bit worried before I left based ons ome of the reports below. However, although the resort has gone through some changes over the past year or so, it still is a fantastic bargain, and provides a great base for relaxation and rest, even if, GASP, the breakfast buffet is the same every day.

First off, I did not hear/see any construction in my four days at Plaza Pelicanos. Second, I did not see/hear any armed paramilitaries of any sort, so perhaps something was going on when other reviewers saw those things.

I stayed in the Club section. Unfortunately, the Resort no longer allows those staying in Club rooms to use the Grand facilities. It didn't really effect me much, though, as my room was large and clean, with a pool view.

Beaches and Pools:
Those who complain about the beach situation here don't know Puerto Vallarta that well. Very few hotels in the hotel zone have great beach areas. The best/most fun/prettiest beaches are closer to el centro, or north in marina vallarta or nuevo vallarta. But the beaches are all public, so you can go to any beach you desire. The hotels in the centro or zona romantica, however, tend to not be all-inclusive, and have one or two small pools in a courtyard.
Plaza Pelicanos has some of the cleanest, nicest pools I've seen. Even as a club guest, you have access to 3 sets of pools, including an adults only, the "beach club"- where there activites, swim up bar, pelapas, and other chairs facing the ocean, and the main pool surrounded by Section I (which also has a swimup bar). The pool areas were very well-maintained and kept quite clean.

The Food:
All-inclusive food is not usually great. I paid $85 pp per night at Plaza Pelicanos... if you expect to get great all-inclusive food for that price, well... But the food is more than palatable. It is traditional Mexican style in the buffets. Yes, breakfast is "the same every day", but that includes a create-your-own omelet station, french toast, hot cakes, cereals, yogurts, a variety of pastries, and other traditional breakfast items... I guess they could take away some of these some days and only have one option?? You also can get continental breakfast delivered to your room for free.
Lunch is generally the weakest meal, I thought, but one would hope you spend some of your days exploring the town and the gorgeous environs. There's also burgers/hot dogs/fries/nachos at the pool snack bar. Dinner is traditional mexican, with some variety. If you are there on the night of the "Mexican Fiesta", there is a special menu served outside as part of the regular all-inclusive. You also get 1-3 coupons for the a la carte restaurants on site, reservations required. This food is just as good as anything else you can get in Vallarta.

The location:
Pelicanos has a great location- the bus is 5 pesos and goes everywhere; taxis to the centro/olas altas are 60-80 pesos. This is a big advantage to Nuevo Vallarta, and even Marina Vallarta, as you can actually see things beyond your hotel.

The service:
I had no problems, but I wasn't particularly demanding. Clean comfortable bed, clean sheets/towels, clean pool area, and coffee and alcoholic drinks whenever I asked for 'em.

The bottom line:
If you want a vacation where you never leave the hotel and experience a Carnival Cruise Lines version of Mexico, this is not the place for you. I think a lot of the negative reviews come from people expecting a luxury American/Canadian hotel catering to American/Canadian tastes in food and pickiness, but unwilling to pay for a luxury hotel. If you are looking for a comfortable, clean place to drink, swim, veg out in the sun, eat most of your meals, and use as a base to explore Vallarta, this is a bargain and highly recommended

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
7  Thank Adam1222
Reviewed January 16, 2009

they put us in a terrible room that had stains that looked like blood on the lamp and the window furnishings...not pleased with that. they did move us the following afternoon.

my big problem was the food. this is no 4 star resort, the breakfast was the same everyday, so was lunch and dinner...some small variations to some of the items. but the selection was small. i did not see guacamole once. that really annoyed me. i expect to see guacamole when i go to mexico. my boyfriend and i ended up eating out a lot.

the staff was ok, not great. they were not like other resort staff i have encountered. they did not always greet you and were not so happy. not all though, i did meet some lovely people that work there, so not all bad.

also i was not able to order some drinks that should be available on a 4 star resort. dont ak for a mojito or a mango daiquiri.

Stayed: January 2009