“Nice room, nice staff”

Ranked #36 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Nice room, nice staff”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed here during the quiet season on a time share swap. I had a single room in the tower on the 5th floor with a big balcony and a great view. The room itself was clean and large, had 2 bathrooms. The beach area is small but plenty big enough for swimming. The pool area is pretty nice. I didn't eat at the resort at all, but made good use of the kitchen and the Mega grocery store only 3 blocks away, and visited several restaurants in PV. The bus stops close by if you're up for public transportation and it's a short cheap ride to downtown. The staff were friendly and helpful, but I had to endure 2 separate pitches about doing the tour of the new property next door and all the discounts and perks I could get by doing it. I still turned it down. I'm not sure if this is also an issue for people staying here as regular hotel guests. Wifi is free in one area of the hotel. You can pay for a week's access from your room, but it's a little pricey.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FrauP7121
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for expressing your opinion abou our resort, it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.
We celebrate you have a very positive impression on your experience during your vacation in our resort, expecially for the quality and variety of our facilities and for the singular service you received from our staff. We appreciate your giving us the opportunity to learn more about the service that our hotel has provided so that we can look to improve our process for the future.
Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Have a great day,
Lgomez @hotelesgdlplaza.com.mx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I would actually give this hotel 3.5 stars. I had read the reviews before arriving and I agree with most of them and I knew what to expect. We were there in September which is part of their slow /rainy season so the hotel was probably only 25% full. Very quiet. The hotel is more like a small boutique hotel. There is one section that is maybe only 3 stories tall and another Tower that has nine floors. From what I can tell, the rooms in the Tower are much nicer. We were in a 2 bedroom suite on the 7th floor, oceanfront and on the corner overlooking the pool and ocean. The view was fantastic! We could hear the waves crashing on the shore...definitely oceanfront!

The Hotel is small. The staff is great! Very nice and accommodating. The restaurants were good. Not a large selection but the food was decent. The breakfast buffet was good...fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, pastries, made to order omelets and French toast, lots of Mexican dishes. Lunch was ala cart...fajitas, enchiladas, etc. We ate in the "specialty" restaurant 2 nights...Argentinian and Japanese. Food was good, house wine OK. As for the restaurants.....not a large variety, we went out of the property several times to eat. We went once to the evening show at the hotel and it was "interesting". The hotel definitely caters to Mexican travelers.

The Spa is extremely small (one room) but we had the most amazing massages there. Marisol and Ida were fantastic!! We went twice for 80min massages for $36.00 each plus tip. The best massage we have ever had!

The gym is bad. Old and out dated. No view. One treadmill, a couple of bikes, a couple of ellipticals. OLD weights and gym equipment. Don't come here to workout!

Concierge means timeshare pusher....Violeta was very nice and helpful. We did the timeshare presentation and received some discounts but realized later that we could have gotten ALOT more for free. If you do the timeshare presentation, ask for a lot of "gifts" for your time. EX: free excursions, free spa treatments, actual money, etc. The resort next door( the one they are promoting), Sunset, is Beautiful. If you haven't booked yet, try to stay there.

The beach.....not much of a beach and the water is murky. We didn't swim in it at all. of course peddlers are on the beach if you want to buy trinkets.

The pools.....two very small pools, one larger one, all clean but old. If hotel was crowded the pool area would be very crowded. Lounge chairs were not good. Staff service was great. Pool bar was good. (food at pool didn't seem good, ate at the restaurant).

The room.....our room location made this trip great. The sound of the waves was amazing. The furnishings are decent, clean, relatively comfortable. King size bed in the master, two couches (which are beds) in the living room, small dining table and full kitchen, additional
bedroom was like a hotel with 2 queen beds. Towels were good and housekeeping was great.

Overall a nice trip. NOT 5 star but nice. Our next trip to PV we will try another location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Tower facing the beach and/or pool. Higher is better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tasha H
Dear Ms. Tasha,
Thank you for sharing your opinion after your recent stay in the Plaza Pelicanos Grand.
We appreciate the recognition granted for the services you have received from our staff, especially for highlighting the facilities that our property offers. We feel proud to have provided you with the best experience among those you have tasted in the past previous stays. Our staff will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for their performance.
Thank you for contribution to the forum and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again on your next trip to Puerto Vallarta to provide you with another best Plaza Pelicanos experience.
lgomez @hotelesgdlplaza.com.mx
nashville, tn
Reviewed September 25, 2013

First of all, Just getting off the plane is overwhelming with all of the tour sales and taxi sales. We decided to get a taxi inside the airport, because we weren't really comfortable yet with just getting a taxi on the street, but they WAY overcharged us and after a week of using the taxis every day, they are fine!! Don't give in to the pressure to buy a taxi in the airport.

I have to be honest, upon first arrival at the hotel, our group was a little nervous by the quality of this hotel. BUT after just one night there we fell in love with it. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We were greeted with such a kind concierge and treated to chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. The bell boys were full of smiles and overly kind in helping with our luggage. There was a door man that we loved to speak to every night as we left the hotel. He was very helpful in directing us to different restaurants every night. There was a sales lecture while we were checking in, but the lady was very polite and after we said no we weren't interested we were never bothered with that again. We chose not to do all inclusive because we wanted to get out around town and experience the local life in PV. But we did have one lunch there are the snack bar and it was good. There is also a Burger King and Pizza Hut within walking distance if all else fails.

The high points:
*The cabanas were definitely one of my favorite parts of our trip. They were so comfortable & FREE!
*They had a full list of activities that you could choose from. We chose to participate in the Kayaking. It was free once a day and the guide was so nice. We were able to see some whales from our kayaks.
*The pool was very clean and nice. Free towels every day, but make sure you hang on to your towel card!
*OH...the rooftop veranda with the hot tub. Every time we went up there, we were the only ones there! However, we would go up around 8:00-9:00, so there may have been more people as the night went on. I can't say. The only complaint I have about the hot tub was that it didn't seem very hot and we couldn't figure out how to turn the temp up.
*The rooms were clean. They weren't top notch or the most fancy thing I had ever seen, but they were nice. We hardly spent any time in our room at all. Occasionally we would have lunch on our balcony which was very nice. There is a huge market within walking distance that you can get all your groceries from.
*The massage spa...I booked a massage on the beach the morning that we were to check out and it was wonderful. She did a great job. There's nothing better than having a massage while listening to the waves.

The Beach:
*you could walk down to the beach and grab a lounge chair, once again it's free. There is a huge concrete wall right behind them though and it blocked the sun on the chairs until about 10 am. But pretty much every one stayed up near the pool during the day, so we were the only ones down on the actual sand. The reason most people didn't want to be there were because of the peddlers. Every couple of minutes someone walked by trying to sell you something. It was annoying at first, but they honestly were not pushy at all. All we had to say was "No gracias" and they were on their way. Most of them were very nice actually and we struck up a friendship with several of them. You can get some good bargains down there if you are good at haggling. Don't ever accept the price they give you first.

The area was great and we were never worried about it being dangerous and we went out to old town almost every night. Beware of the taxi drivers that might try and rip you off though. Ask the guy at the door what a good price is for the place you are going. They will help you.

Overall, the trip was a huge success and we would very willingly go back again. If you are willing to settle for a room that is not quite a 5 star in return for rest and relaxation with great people, then don't worry about the Plaza Pelicanos Grand. Again, the rooms were not bad at all. Just not amazing. It really was a great choice and we have lots of memories there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank randarob
Please let us express our gratitude for sharing such nice comments regarding your stay with us. We are very happy to hear that you really enjoy your vacation.
For us it is really motivating to know that our service makes the difference in our guests’ vacation and that we are able to help you relax and simply enjoy your free time with us.
Plaza Pelicanos Grand is located at Plaza las Glorias, 4km away from the international airport and 1.5 km from Puerto Vallarta’s downtown, with 85 rooms, infinity pool with a wading pool, aqua bar, buffet restaurant, two a la carte specialties restaurants for dinner, snacks restaurants for dinner, snacks restaurant, sky lounge bar, activities center, kids club, games room, gym, travel agency, business center and spa.
We look forward to having the opportunity to have you staying with us, in the meantime, feel free to contact us at anytime. lgomez @hotelesgdlplaza.com.mx.
We will be waiting for you to come back really soon.
LaCrosse, WI
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We have stayed at MANY all-inclusive resorts over the years. This one is by far the only one I really didn't care for. On a good note, the staff was FANTASTIC. Rooms were good, clean. The food will get you through but was really not that good at the buffet. Specialty restaurant was GREAT. Booze was REALLY BAD. We went across the street to buy our own.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank hegyfam
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for expressing your opinion about your stay with us at Plaza Pelicanos Grand. I have brought to the attention of our Food & Beverage Manager your comments regarding the food and drinks and we will make sure all our staff has the proper training to assure they are given the best quality to our valuable guests. However we are going to monitor it in order to avoid these situations, thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We sincerely hope to get the opportunity to have you once more as or guests, in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me again if further assistance if required or if you have additional feedback that wish to share, I will be more than happy to assist you.
Black Diamond, Washington, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2013

6 of us went down to PV (4 of our 1st times there) and I have to say I love the staff! The pool side bartenders were amazing, the activity director and staff were so much fun! Our 2 bedroom suite was great, and anything we asked for we got without a hassle. I felt so welcome and was sad to leave!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jessye K
Dear Ms. Jessye,
On behalf of all the staff of Plaza Pelicanos Grand, we would like to thank you for sharing your holidays with us, we feel very honored.
I will extend your congratulations to bartenders and the activity director, I am sure they will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for a job well done.
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I took my family to Puerto Vallarta and we stayed at Plaza Pelicanos in room 1217. At first we were assigned a room that was horrible. By horrible I mean the chairs had mold, the view was terrible, and I couldn't imagine spending a week with this to look forward to. Mentally preparing for a fight, we called down to the front desk and explained the room condition. The manager, (I forget her name), came to the room and agreed! She offered several rooms, allowed us to check them out, then let us choose! She was a wonderful Manager who understood the meaning of customer service. We picked room 1217, which in my opinion was the best room in the place! The room had a balcony overlooking the pool and a great ocean view. In all honesty this room made our stay! I've been to P.V. several times and always enjoyed staying at Riu. When I first arrived at Pelicanos, I found myself comparing the resort to Riu and was regretting my choice. After we were switched to a different room, I allowed the place to grow on me. After the first day I was actually glad I gave it a chance.

So, here's the good and bad of this place..ROOMS-If you get a room NOT facing the ocean or pool, you're gonna be unhappy. Those rooms have NO view and a lot of street noise. If you get a room on the other side of the hall, facing the pool and ocean, you'll like it. That pretty much covers the room situation. The added fee, if there is one, will be well worth it! The rooms are not over the top wonderful- but they are comfortable. The one thing that bothered me though were the lights. They use white fluorescent bulbs in all the lamps and ceiling fan. When you turn the lights on they give off a white ugly light. It's a nit picky thing to complain about, but normal bulbs would have been a lot nicer. Not a big deal though..The last ROOM issue would be "Roaches".. I'm American and I realize roaches are a somewhat "normal" occurrence in Mexico, but I don't want them in my hotel room. Furthermore, I don't want 3-inch roaches that take two smacks with my flip-flop to kill. I woke up the first morning a found a huge roach on the floor. At first, I thought it was some exotic Mexican bug, then after some debate, we agreed it was a roach. It didn't move until I got my flip-flop. He seemed to know what was coming. Then two smacks and it was dead. I was a little pissed to wake up to the bug and I was worried about how many may have made a home in our suitcases, so I decided to be a bit extreme. I went to the front desk, waited in line, when it was my turn I plopped it on the desk and told them I wanted my room sprayed. I told them I didn't want to have to bring more down tomorrow morning while people are trying to check in.

So, a short time later the bug issue was resolved and we didn't see any more. Again, this was a problem we presented to them and it was fixed to our satisfaction. They didn't want bugs on their check in desk, we didn't want them on our floor. Problem solved..

FOOD- OK, so earlier in my review I mentioned RIU. A week a RIU is expensive. I can't remember how much, but I remember paying it hurt. Keeping that in mind, the food was top quality and appealed to Americans. Looking back on the RIU I have to admit, I came to Mexico and never ate Mexican food while there.. I don't believe they served it. If you come to Pelicanos you better like Mexican food. This place is accurately described as a Mexican Resort with all inclusive OPTIONS. Some of the guests opt out of the All Inclusive Plan.. This place caters to primarily Mexican tourists. The food, games, and staff are all geared toward spanish speaking people. If you are a white American, you'll stick out and at times be ignored by staff who are not comfortable speaking english. I don't believe it's being done in some effort to be rude. I think it's a comfort issue with speaking another language. I have the same issue with spanish. That being the case- I have to say the staff who spoke english were wonderful! ALL the staff were actually wonderful, however some were amazingly wonderful.. The person who comes to mind is "Seattle Tony". He works at the pool and went out of his way EVERYDAY to help me negotiate the best deals with people on the beach selling stuff. If you don't have someone like Tony helping you, the locals will take advantage. In addition, Tony suggested wonderful places off the beaten path to explore and eat. He truly had a pulse for the city and all it had to offer. He also knew exactly what to pay and who to ask for. If you visit this place, ask for Seattle Tony at the pool.

This leads me to the POOL.. OK, if this place has a truly weak spot, it's the pool. In the AD they boast 3 pools and hot tubs.. They have 1 adult size pool, 1 baby pool, and 2 tiny tiny 3 person hot tubs. The adult pool is OK.. if they don't have a lot of people staying. During our stay, I'd estimate they were half occupied so the pool was slightly crowded at times. I can't imagine how full it would be if they were totally full- it would be horrible!! Also, nobody seemed to notice or care about the hair, dirt, leaves, grime, and stuff floating in the pool. The filter didn't seem to work well. I found myself hitting the beach and ocean to avoid coming out of the pool with other people hair hanging off my arms. It was crazy to watch people coming out of the pool picking stuff off their bodies- and not caring about it. Again, maybe it's just me, but that is gross.

The last thing-- The nightly entertainment.. You better know spanish.. It might have been funny, or entertaining, if I'd know what they were saying.. It was all in spanish.

OK, so 4 out of 5 circles.. Why? This place is truly a Mexican Resort. It's not the newest, or best, or exciting, but it tries.. These guys really try.. I think because they are not the best, or newest, they NEED to try. So what they can't deliver in amenities, they make up in service. At the Riu, if I'd complained about my room, they would have nodded their head and said, "we're full. sorry." These guys listened to us and did the best they could to win us over. The people who work here made me like it.

My last comment would be the PRICE. This place delivered a far better experience for the price! You can always stay at Dreams or Riu, or some other newer, bigger, resort- but you're gonna pay. We paid half the price and had a great vacation! The people who work there are to credit for our good memories.

I would go back (providing we get the same room) 1217..

Thank you to Seattle Tony and Myra (The Manager) her name just came to me.

You two made a nice resort a great family memory! You two went above and beyond to make our trip wonderful. Thank you!

Room Tip: 1217 facing the pool and ocean!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jim C
Dear Mr. Jim,
Warm Greeting from Plaza Pelicanos Grand Hotel!!
We are very happy to hear that you really enjoy your visit with us. We would like to thank you for sharing with us your opinion that definitely helps us to make sure that all our services and facilities fill up our client’s standards. Your opinion is very valuable to all of our staff.
I will extend your congratulations to Tony and Mayra (Resort Manager) for their great job.
We would like to take the opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us. We are taking care of your recommendations and taking the necessary steps in order to avoid these situations in the future.
We look forward to having the opportunity to have you staying with us, in the meantime, feel free to contact us at anytime. If you have additional feedback that wish to share, I will be more than happy to assist you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Was truly a magnificent resort to stay at. Service was excellent, food phenomenal. Rooms that were very large and well decorated, and very clean, and right along the ocean. As a family vacation it's one we will truly remember.Enjoyed our stay very much and would love to one day go there again.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank FredU2013
Dear Mr. Fred,
Thank you for your recent stay and posting your nice review. We are so glad that you enjoyed all the benefits that Plaza Pelicanos Grand Hotel guests have.
We appreciate very much your high opinion of our premises and the service you always receive from our staff. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the food and services our great team are always happy to please any request.
We are very happy to hear that we were up to your expectations.
We hope to see you soon.
Sincerely