First of all, Just getting off the plane is overwhelming with all of the tour sales and taxi sales. We decided to get a taxi inside the airport, because we weren't really comfortable yet with just getting a taxi on the street, but they WAY overcharged us and after a week of using the taxis every day, they are fine!! Don't give in to the pressure to buy a taxi in the airport.
I have to be honest, upon first arrival at the hotel, our group was a little nervous by the quality of this hotel. BUT after just one night there we fell in love with it. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We were greeted with such a kind concierge and treated to chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. The bell boys were full of smiles and overly kind in helping with our luggage. There was a door man that we loved to speak to every night as we left the hotel. He was very helpful in directing us to different restaurants every night. There was a sales lecture while we were checking in, but the lady was very polite and after we said no we weren't interested we were never bothered with that again. We chose not to do all inclusive because we wanted to get out around town and experience the local life in PV. But we did have one lunch there are the snack bar and it was good. There is also a Burger King and Pizza Hut within walking distance if all else fails.
The high points:
*The cabanas were definitely one of my favorite parts of our trip. They were so comfortable & FREE!
*They had a full list of activities that you could choose from. We chose to participate in the Kayaking. It was free once a day and the guide was so nice. We were able to see some whales from our kayaks.
*The pool was very clean and nice. Free towels every day, but make sure you hang on to your towel card!
*OH...the rooftop veranda with the hot tub. Every time we went up there, we were the only ones there! However, we would go up around 8:00-9:00, so there may have been more people as the night went on. I can't say. The only complaint I have about the hot tub was that it didn't seem very hot and we couldn't figure out how to turn the temp up.
*The rooms were clean. They weren't top notch or the most fancy thing I had ever seen, but they were nice. We hardly spent any time in our room at all. Occasionally we would have lunch on our balcony which was very nice. There is a huge market within walking distance that you can get all your groceries from.
*The massage spa...I booked a massage on the beach the morning that we were to check out and it was wonderful. She did a great job. There's nothing better than having a massage while listening to the waves.
*you could walk down to the beach and grab a lounge chair, once again it's free. There is a huge concrete wall right behind them though and it blocked the sun on the chairs until about 10 am. But pretty much every one stayed up near the pool during the day, so we were the only ones down on the actual sand. The reason most people didn't want to be there were because of the peddlers. Every couple of minutes someone walked by trying to sell you something. It was annoying at first, but they honestly were not pushy at all. All we had to say was "No gracias" and they were on their way. Most of them were very nice actually and we struck up a friendship with several of them. You can get some good bargains down there if you are good at haggling. Don't ever accept the price they give you first.
The area was great and we were never worried about it being dangerous and we went out to old town almost every night. Beware of the taxi drivers that might try and rip you off though. Ask the guy at the door what a good price is for the place you are going. They will help you.
Overall, the trip was a huge success and we would very willingly go back again. If you are willing to settle for a room that is not quite a 5 star in return for rest and relaxation with great people, then don't worry about the Plaza Pelicanos Grand. Again, the rooms were not bad at all. Just not amazing. It really was a great choice and we have lots of memories there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort situated on beautiful Las Glorias, surrounded by colorful tropical vegetation. facing the Pacific in Puerto Vallarta, close to shops, Teatro Vallarta, Malecon, Caballito, restaurants, and attractions, only 15 minutes from the Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR) and 7 minutes from downtown. The layout offers private and quiet areas, as well as active areas for recreation.The hotel offers amenities like outdoor pool, a childrens pool, two aerial Jacuzzis with bay view, a health club, and a childrens club, concierge desk, Spa, Bali beds, wireless Internet access (surcharge) is available in public areas, wedding services and complimentary guest parking is limited, Sky lounge Bar, tennis court, karaoke room, game room, a buffet restaurant and two a la carte restaurant for dinner ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Booking.com and Travelocity so you can book your Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Hotel
- Pelicanos Puerto Vallarta
- Plaza Pelicanos Puerto Vallarta
- Hotel Pelicanos Puerto Vallarta
- Hotel Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach
- Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort Puerto Vallarta