This is going to be a somewhat long, but detailed review of what was good and what wasn't.
The short upfront version is: Stay at the Sunset Plaza next door.
We purchased our second bundle of points here 2 years ago when we stayed at the Sunset Plaza next door. For our purchase, we were given a free weeks stay at the Sunset Plaza, point free. All we had to pay was the maintenance fees (about 300 dollars). We decided to use a little less points over here to stay for our remaining 3 days in Mexico. We rented out the 1 bedroom. We had to call the mexico properties to make our reservations. When doing so, they made an error.. they had us checking out of the Sunset on the 27th, and in at the Plaza on the 28th!! So we had to pay out of pocket for the night of the 27th, although we did get a discount for being Shell owners it was 140 bucks after tax!!!!!!! I couldn't believe that place costed that much. Luckily, they had availability. We assumed that Pelicanos and Sunset operated in a similar fashion as it pertained to the amenenities, service, and pricing, as they are both owned by the same organization. Do not be fooled.
Although it is an older facility, the rooms had nice tile and granite, but the walls were hideous. The ceilings were low. The 1 bedroom was actually 2 rooms joined by a hotel divider. My guess is that the studio was the part with the kitchen, and the other was a normal hotel room. At any rate, the beds in the kitchen area were rock hard. The pillows were crap, although they had a pillow menu. But,... they wanted to charge you $1 a day for them! They didn't do that next door. We read through the huge owners "manual" and it said there was free wifi in the lobby for owners, and we would just have to ask for it. Well... no such free wifi exists and if you want it for your wireless devices, there was an $11 USD per day charge. But they had a computer center that they gave out keys for use of 20 minutes at a time. Problem is, the computers are so OLD and SLOW!! Single core processors, that are using outdated versions of Internet Explorer, so multiple websites do not load to a usable state. I kid you not, it took 5 minutes just to open Hotmail!! The printer was out of paper, and when I asked for some, I was given 5 sheets. To top it off, the copies of Windows XP they were using were not geniune. What a PIA!!! Next door the computers were great and they offered free (although somewhat slow) wifi.
We had purchased all inclusive over at this resort as well. But, buyer beware. It goes from noon to noon. Breakfast is buffet style, and the food was actually really good. Lots of authentic mexican dishes. No complaints with breakfast. However, lunch does not start until 1 pm. No room service, not anything. There is a snack bar down in the pool area... but guess what? It is not included. Here you can get burgers, hot dogs, fries and what not. Otherwise, if you want lunch, you need to wait until after 1 pm and hit the buffet. Again. After we got our all inclusive bracelets, we tried to make a reservation for the restaurant (can't remember its name), but we were told it was full. We went down at dinner anyway, and there was only 2 tables taken. They took us right in. The food there was great, our server was incredible. It was a good time.
The next morning we had breakfast, and wanted to hit lunch, but that is when we realized, we had to wait until after noon. What a bummer.
The pool area is incredibly cramped. I mean jam packed. Although we are in Mexico, this property was filled with large Mexican families and was catered more towards the Nationals than the tourists. I do not have a problem with this, except for there are so many kids in the pool it is a little irritating to get water splashed into your drink. They had daily activities, and a little bit more lively music by the pool than next door. The entertainment staff also did a bar hop at night, but we did not attend. The wait staff inside and outside is impeccable. They cannot be beat. Luis Angel was hilarious and fun, and was just a drink server.
This facility is a Corona resort, and you can't go wrong with that. I drink beer and tequila only, but the foo foo drinks here were really not that great (according to the ladies in the group) and tasted kinda bad.
A really cool thing about this place is that they had a "sky bar", a bar upstairs on the roof of the tower. This bar did not serve beer, but they did serve strong drinks like martinis and the like. This was included in the all inclusive, which was nice. The music though, was SUPER lame. Beach boys, and other lame oldies. It would have been much better and more adult oriented had they mixed in a top 40 or something of the like.
I gave 2 out of 5 for the following reasons:
Timing of all inclusive (couldn't get lunch or room service before all inclusive ran out)
All inclusive was partially inclusive.
Crappy pillows and the nickel and diming of everything.
No free Wifi for owners, and crummy computers that take EONS to operate.
Check out was at 11 am instead of noon next door.
Pool was too crowded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort situated on beautiful Las Glorias, surrounded by colorful tropical vegetation. facing the Pacific in Puerto Vallarta, close to shops, Teatro Vallarta, Malecon, Caballito, restaurants, and attractions, only 15 minutes from the Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR) and 7 minutes from downtown. The layout offers private and quiet areas, as well as active areas for recreation.The hotel offers amenities like outdoor pool, a childrens pool, two aerial Jacuzzis with bay view, a health club, and a childrens club, concierge desk, Spa, Bali beds, wireless Internet access (surcharge) is available in public areas, wedding services and complimentary guest parking is limited, Sky lounge Bar, tennis court, karaoke room, game room, a buffet restaurant and two a la carte restaurant for dinner ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Hotel
- Pelicanos Puerto Vallarta
- Plaza Pelicanos Puerto Vallarta
- Hotel Pelicanos Puerto Vallarta
- Hotel Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach
- Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort Puerto Vallarta