2,814 results
All reviews sky lounge swim up bar spring break nightly entertainment a la carte restaurant infinity pool close to downtown activities staff pool side great vacation time share presentation hot dogs buffet food water aerobics beach area ceviche cab ride
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed in PV for two weeks this year, one week at this hotel. We were greeted with a cold beverage and towel while we checked in. Our one bedroom room on the third floor was spotless every day!! First thing we did was buy lots of fresh fruit, and a pound of shrimp (from Mega 5 minute walk away), then we were set for breakfasts and snacking lunches. We did not partake of the all inclusive, so I cannot comment. We love to walk the streets of PV and dine out at night. The pool area is fabulous here, and great drinks while you're enjoying. The beach has been swept away by bad weather over the last few years, but there is a substantial retaining wall and great views. THE BEST FEATURE is the rooftop lounging area and hot pools !!! There is a bartender 6/7 days a week in the evenings and the views are nothing short of the best in town. There was A/C but we enjoyed the large ceiling fans in both rooms (with three speeds).

Room tip: Our room overlooked the pool & bar area, and north along the beach (towards the Marina and Bucerias). We were on the third floor and there were only 2 poolside shows at night, and both ended at 9:00 or 9:30 pm. We had a one bedroom unit with separate kitchen /living area, larger than life king bed, two full bathrooms (Room 2217). It was so easy to sleep at night and the huge balcony area gave us ample room for star gazing.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the place to stay in Puerto Vallarta. You may find fancier, and of course more expensive, but you won't find a better deal. The hotel is five star, the staff is five star and it is really a neat place to stay. We stay through a time share and do not utilize the all inclusive option, so I cannot speak to that. However, I can speak to excellent service, excellent accomodations, and excellent food and beverage. The staff is what really make this hotel great to stay at. They attend to your every need with a smile and helping hand. I have said many times that Pelicanos does not hire crabby people. Trust me and give Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort a try. You will not be disappointed.

Room tip: We stayed in the "Tower" which is a little newer. However the quality of all the rooms is good.
1  Thank Bob T
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Flew from Edmonton with air transat plane / nolitours January 5th 2013! Met up with fairly large family group 14 including some kids, who had traveled from Grande Prairie on sunwing Jan 2nd!
Plaza Pelicanos Grand is smaller than we expected , but in hindsite was perfect for us , as no problem finding our group or kids etc.
Food was good especially breakfast, as in most all inclusive selection did not vary much from day to day, but Puerto Vallarta has a huge selection of affordable bars cafes , for variety we ate out a couple of evening meals!
All the staff was extremely helpful and friendly! Only problem we encountered was room safe was closed on arrival , of course we could not open to use , we reported this issue each day to front desk , who apologized each day ,promised to fix but nobody did. Nothing missing from room so ok in the long run!
The pelicanos only had one bar, one buffet, and one alacarte, with great staff who waited on us hand and foot, we did tip a lot, which may have helped!
I mainly used the peso for my currency, which seems to go further than U.S. dollar Lots of 20 peso notes which are valued at about $1.60 cnd were gratefully accepted but yet did not break the bank at home!
We also lucked out one morning when bowhead whales appeared off shore in front of resort , another day a school of dolphins!
We missed the Tip for our maid one day ,,the next day our room did not get the cleaning until about 3pm , we found the maid an tipped $40 peso and our room was clean before 10 am each day after, moral of this story TIP the maid each day, sometimes I can be such an idiot!!
Weekends the locals seem to use this resort as hotel vacation, which was fine , I hope they will say the same for us tourists, I am not so naive that I don"t realize our group was a bit boisterous and loud around the pool bar after the sun sets, so for that I apoligize, to the rest of the guests!
Beach , there is non, and I did not see any resort in PV that had one, thats all I have to say about that!
Taxis of course were plentifull and cheap, $50 peso downtown about $4 cnd 4 people thats abuck each , cool!
Only hiccup we had on our departure day, Nolitours forgot to send transport to take us to airport.after an hour wait front desk got us a cab to take us and nolitours paid , ok but made the airport just in time!!
Wife and I did not do the tour thing , we don"t bother anymore ,we did go to buccerias shopping but that was it , we came to relax and did just that.
All in all we had a good vacation, would we go back ,probably not, I like the carribean and a beach! But that being said $1250 tax included was good value for the money and we had a great time at the Plaza Pelicanos Grand in Puerto Vallarta Mexico,

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed at Pelicanos Grand Jan 7th-14th.Overall an excellent resort...clean,top-notch service...good food, & excellent location.I'll break down the review as follows:

Room: stayed in a room overlooking the back of the hotel.was very clean,quiet, and the bed was very comfortable.Maid service was reliable & thorough.Bathroom was spacious with full tub and plenty of water pressure & hot water.

Resort: well located within a 20 minute walk of downtown and a short bus ride to the Malecon.Very nicely kept grounds and buildings.The pool was a bit cold and the beach was mostly non-existent but you could go & swim in the ocean if you wanted to.Very impressive views of PV at the sky-bar & hot tub area.

Food & Service:service was where they differentiated themselves.excellent service at the bars,restaurants and pool area.best I've ever experienced.Well done Luis! Had two meal at the specialty restaurant-mexican & brazilian-very well prepared with top level service & atmosphere.I would call the buffett sufficient & basic.The pool snack food was very good.Entertainment staff were friendly but not too pushy.Well done Raoul!

Overall: I'd have to give this resort an excellent rating based on the service and the homey feel we experienced due to the smaller size of the resort.Everyone went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable & memorable.A thumbs up to the management of this resort for the great work ethic & friendliness you've instilled in your staff.I would go back without a second thought!

10  Thank ontariogroup
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Check In: Upon arrival we received a cold, tasty juice beverage and cold towel which was nice. We stayed for one week January 4-11, 2013 and went to celebrate our anniversary. It was noted on our e-ticket request to have a king bed and terrace or balcony, but we ended up with a room with two double beds and a huge balcony with a fairly decent view of the ocean (Room 1255). They were willing to move us the next morning but we didn't bother. Check in was a breeze and quick with English speaking hosts. Not once were we pressured for a timeshare either.

Room: The room is basic, dated, and fairly clean. The sheets are white and starched, they will change them daily or every few days to be environmentally friendly but it is entirely up to you. If you are over 5 feet tall you may have trouble using the toilet as the space is EXTREMELY limited. Our safe was not attached to the closet, although I doubt anyone could easily walk away with the safe I'm sure it could be done. We had no trouble with loss at all. We tipped the cleaning lady each day and received great service. Mini bar is refreshed every few days with a couple of beers, pop and waters. Beds are soft which can be unusual in Mexico!

Food: We ate at the buffet a few times and it is your standard Mexican all -inclusive fare. You get a choice of salads, hot chicken, pork, beef in red or green sauce, re-fried beans and soups.
Breakfast can be an excellent meal with fresh made omelettes, fried eggs, hot pancakes or French toast made by the cook. Lots of options for your omelette but we didn't see bacon or sausage, not really a big deal as I can get that at home anytime. The only thing I missed was fresh warm tortillas??? Hotel please add them to your menu! The pool/snack bar has your regular formed burger patties, hot dogs, FF, salsas, veggies and YUMMY fresh Cerviche on Tostados.

Alcohol: My husband and I drank Coronas, tequila and whiskey most of the week. The booze is of the cheap, lower end alcohol but you have an option to upgrade to premium (but then the choice is not really premium, no grey goose, high end whiskey or tequila) If you are dying for your own name brand there is a liquor store right across the street. Bring a travel cup and the waiters will wash it and refill for you as required. There is also a pretty funky roof top bar that has a couple of jacuzzis and great for taking photos!

Beach: very limited beach, rocky and the waves were wickedly powerful with a strong undertow.
We were only able to swim right in front of the resort a couple of times during the week. We are travellers and check out different beaches of Vallarta so I'd recommend venturing out if you are looking for a decent swim. Mismaloya is a great option about half an hour away and you can get there by bus or taxi.

The Fabulous Staff:

There are two staff members at the hotel that took care of us all week long. MUCHOS GRACIAS to Rigo & Victor who worked in the pool/snack bar. Both men are a delight, speak English and were always there to give us drinks, coffee and snacks including fresh fruit and popsicles. They have such a great demeanour are were always happy and joking. We tipped daily for the great service we received as we barely had to get up! On the whole all staff were eager to please and were helpful when needed. No complaints at all. The concierge (little lady forgot her name) booked us a car too which arrived 20 minutes later and we had a great day trip driving up the coast.

Location: Excellent, close to downtown by walking or cab. There is a Mega, Walmart, bank machines and many, many Mexican restaurants around. If you get sick of tacos and stewed meats and are looking for comfort Canadian food try Blake's at the end of the plaza street. You can get a real beef cheese burger with fried onions, soups and ribs; the restaurant is owned by a former Winnipegger. It is pretty safe to walk around here and the hotel is just off the main strip (5 minute walk.)

Clientele: Lots of Canadians, a few Americans and locals during the week we were there. This isn't a party hotel for 20 somethings who may be looking for a party week. Lots of families and couples. Limited entertainment but all in all a great week.

Recommendations: Head into town, try other beaches, tip for great service and experience the food, drink and culture. You'll love PV, the people are AWESOME!

6  Thank Stefarino