“Outstanding Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Whistler, Canada
“Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our first time staying here and we were very impressed. I am in the hotel industry so I know what service is all about and their level of service and the genuine friendliness of all the staff was outstanding. Two people in particular that I would like to thank, Antoino and Xunaxui, both were exceptional. The rooms were nice, had everything that you need and the location was perfect. I would highly recommend this hotel, you won't be dissapointed. And a special "Thank you" to Mayra.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Executive09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Rees, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We werre there two weeks in December 2011. The staff was very friendly the food was great and since we did not like our first room they gave us a better one. The cook should get a star and Captain Canales was more than friendly and helping. We would go there everytime

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vicky K
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

As a timeshare owner, I pay a lot on maintenance fees throughout the year and hope for my money's worth when I make a choice for my vacation. Shell has two Puerto Vallarta options in their system, Pelicanos and Sunset. I choose Pelicanos based on comments by a shell advisor that turned out to be bad advise. He told me that Pelicanos was better because it reflected traditional Mexico. What he didn't tell me was Sunset was brand spanking new and absolutely beautiful. Incidentally, we learned that by taking a timeshare presentation from Pelicanos.

Pelicanos is more traditionally Mexican in styling and very popular with vacationing Mexicans but it is getting older . I think the Mexican tourists are great but it was so busy that finding room in the pool was almost always a challenge and finding a lounge chair was darn near impossible.

We only ate twice in the buffet because we prefer to explore the local haunts when on vacation. The buffet was ok, nothing bad or spectacular- the service was great. In fact the people who work in the hotel, from maids to front desk, are extremely friendly. There are two specialty restaurants on sight but I neither ate there or looked at them.

The room was a bit of a problem for my wife and I. They are big and airy but unfortunately not airy enough to sweep out the very strong smell of mildew. It was very bad. We gave it about an hour or so to see if it would diminish or if we would adjust. It didn't nor did we, so we asked to be moved. They showed us another facing the ocean that was just as bad. They showed us one that had a partial ocean view that still had a slight musty smell but we felt we could deal with it. In fairness, I didn't ask to see more so I don't know if they are all musty.

Gabriel, the manager, a sweetheart through it all, had a dehumidifier brought up that we used for the entire 12 days. It helped somewhat but we never really did get rid of the smell. In fact upon return home, a couple articles of clothing left unused in the hotel closet, smelled strongly of mildew.

Mildew was the only major issue, but enough that would prevent me from returning unless they make a major announcement of severe bleaching in all of the rooms. Again to give credit where it is due, Gabriel, credited my shell account with enough points to rent a studio for a week. Very generous.

Our next visit to PV should we return, will be at the Sunset Plaza, which is stunning- if we decide to return to the hotel zone, which is a bus or taxi ride to old town (or a 45 minute hot walk). We may decide to get a place in old town and use the timeshare points on another trip.

Room Tip: don't settle on a smelly room- don't unpack until you are satisfied, Ocean view is lovely b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank michaelmaxp
Washougal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was the first time we stayed at this resort. The 2 bedroom unit was very large. The pool was always packed with kids, not sure where they all came from, but not much room in the pool. There was only one waiter running nonstop trying to keep up with the orders around the pool area. Pool was not very clean by midmorning due to so many people. We ate a few meals on site, did not do the all inclusive, the food wasn't that good. The people working were fantastic, just too many people to enjoy the pool. Great location tho.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura M
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at this all inclusive on a whim. It turned out to be very relaxing and generally a good expereince. Some of the restaurant options were closed due to a special event and the hotel was more than willing to "make this right" for us. The food was very good, the staff exceptional. The resort very clean and the rooms were nice. The beach access was closed for a few days due to the event and the hotel shuttled us to the more exclusive beach club where we had a great time. In general I give the management and "excellent" and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Murphy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have stayed here 4 times and it has always been very good. It can get fairly booked up during high seasons with Mexican families and a lot of kids. Puerto Vallarta is the vacation destination for many Mexican families from Guadalajara, so you are going to have lots of families with children there during the Summer when school is out.

This year I went over Labor Day weekend for 10 days and it was very quiet and not crowded at all. Once all the families with kids left, dinner was in the Ala Carte every night, no reservation needed!! The food was wonderful..

The staff is very friendly and the waiters always greet me by name when I arrive. The rooms are clean and the service is very good. The buffet food is usually very good, lots of fresh fruits and salads, along with several Mexican dishes, beef, pork, chicken and fresh fish. There is always a cook at breakfast and dinner for cooked to order eggs, omlets, pancakes and french toast, and steak, chops, or fish at dinner. Of course the Ala Carte resturant is much better but you do need to make reservations early in the morning.

The drinks are just average unless you tip the waiter or bartender! A few good tips and you will be amazed at how good the drinks are and how quickly they are replaced before empty!! Take a LOT of US $1 with you, you'll need them and be glad you had them!

The location is very good for PV. Don't judge the resort by the street as you arrive!! My first time there I thought what did I get myself into here? Once you get into the resort and have a drink, you won't care about the streets!! There are actually some nice shops across the street and basically whatever you need or want is within a block.

Close to downtown, close to the Marina, and close enough to the airport without being so close you hear the planes! A Taxi is about $5 US to the Marina or downtown, $8 to the airport. From the airport, Taxi's are $20 due to the airport tax the drivers have to pay when leaving the airport. Walk across the street outside the airport and a Taxi is only $5 to the resort.

I am a timeshare owner so perhaps my experience is different than others have had. In any event, I will be back again over New Years and I'm sure it will be packed with families and kids.. I have been told that you can see the Whales in the Bay from the resort during the winter when they come to PV to have their babies.

Room Tip: I usually get an Ocean Front condo, but as an owner you do get better room choices since the front t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank texblondi2
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I divided my vacation in 2, i spent some days at the marriott and then decided to try out an all inclusive resort. This is a prime example of the saying " what you pay for is what you get." The resort itself isn't that bad. In previous years this resort allowed you to switch between two properties freely using either installations. However in recent years they have closed down the adjoining property to convert into their high end timeshare. Making the pool a little small for the capacity of guests, in my opinion.
The reality is: if you are looking for a bargain, then this is place. The truth is, the food is not that great, BUT, you can def manage. Its true, that the buffet is a little on the weaker side. Yet, are you really planning on never leaving the hotel? If so, then I would def look for a higher end all inclusive. Yet, if you are going to mix in tours with your stay at the resort then you wont even notice. I had the omelette bar everyday for breakfast, ate burgers or ceviche by the pool and made reservations on the ala carte restaurants. Make sure to make the reservations IN THE MORNING.
The drinks are good, if you know what to ask for, but don't think you will be getting top shelf liquor. Be honest at the price you are paying, what could you really get? There are people that swear by this hotel, and they love it, and they want to back every year. Something very important is that you need to understand the waiters work day and night and because it is an all inclusive people tend not to tip them, but they still work for tips, so its a pretty bad situation. If you are nice talk to them, and tip them a few dollars here and there, you are in for a maharaja treatment. Ask for the waiter in the pool area and tell him you want to him to give a super service, slip him 50-100 pesos in the morning and 50-100 pesos at night. Its like 7-12 dollars for a great service from sunrise to sunset. I think its a bargain. They will bring you a drink as soon as they see your drink getting low, you wont even have to move a finger. I literally vegetated in the pool and just let the drinks roll in with a snack break here and there.

A very important tip is not to stay at this resort if your visiting the hotel in high season. Call and ask what their occupancy level is. If its high you will be probably surrounded by locals. Some people love this, because they get to interact with Mexican people. Yet it can get a little loud. Mexicans love to party, and the all inclusive liquor tends to turn it into a little bit of a party. If you are looking to interact and goof around and have a good time with both locals and tourists from around the world, this might be the place. If you are coming with the mentality of absolute tranquility stay at a higher end resort.

Room Tip: Try to tell them to give you a room facing the pool or a pool with a kitchenette, if not try to sway...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family