“Nice quiet beachfront hotel just south of downtown PV” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Playa Conchas Chinas Hotel
Ranked #98 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
vancouver bc
“Nice quiet beachfront hotel just south of downtown PV”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

Stayed here for the last week of Feb 2009. Would go back.
All rooms face the ocean, the sound of the waves is quite loud and masks almost all noise.

The restaurant upstairs (El Set) is quite expensive.
We ate at the beachfront restaurant instead, which was very good and reasonably priced.

The beach out front is small but has palapas and not too many vendors. Chairs and loungers are provided on request. Food and drinks are served on the beach. Some mexican families mixed with the tourists - when they arrive the quiet disappears. For a much nicer beach - with no services - walk about 5 minutes to the north.

Bottled water provided free in the corridors. Cable tv included. Our unit had a kitchenette including 2 burner range and bar fridge. Beds are firm but we slept well. AC appeared to work but there was no need. The rooms only get direct sun in the late afternoon so they don't get too hot. There were safes in the rooms but no locks in them. We did not feel the need.

There were a couple of super sized rooms on the bottom floor with their own pools. Perfect for kids! I would take kids here for sure.

Front counter staff very attentive, helpful and friendly to a fault. They even bought us a new hairdryer after being unable to locate a spare one in the hotel over the course of several days of trying.

Downsides:
Beachfront restaurant permeates the area with the smell of grease;
Our room smelled a bit like mildew;
Hotel pool only gets sun in the late afternoon;
There are a lot of stairs. Not a problem for us but could be for some;
A bit too far to walk into pv - the road has poor or no sidewalks.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank random1_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
bellingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

We loved Hotel Conchas Chinas. The people are wonderful. It's an authentic Mexican experience. We were on the beach and we were the only gringos there on a Sunday afternoon. Very friendly people. Beautiful beach, to say the least. Not crowded at all. Clean rooms, great service. A short bus ride or even a half-hour walk to town. Go up to the restaurant and it is empty-but still good food-excellent. We watched grey whales cavort while we sat at the top of the world. Why wouldn't you go here? This is the first review I have written for Tripadvisor and I want to keep this a secret but they have plenty of rooms. It's a very nice hotel and the price is so easy. I'll go there next year if I can.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jimbolassy
Palatine, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2009

My first visit to Hotel Playa Conchas Chinas was in April 2003 and I have returned every year with my last visit in July 2008. This hotel is a small family-owned hotel with some privately-owned condos in the mix. Nice swimming pool. The suites are clean with private ocean-view balconies where you sleep to the sound of the ocean & wake to a beautiful view with sounds of local birds. The beds are not the greatest, but decent for a platform bed. Morning is very peaceful at HPCC. The restaurant downstairs, La Playita, serves the most amazing food with a vast menu selection, not to mention two happy-hour opportunities. Weekends typically offer a buffet, which is extensive & well worth any wait. A chef makes omelettes to order & another person makes fresh tortillas while you watch before she assembles them into customized quesadillas. YUMMY! The beach is modest, a bit rocky, which I personally like, but still nice for swimming, sunbathing, collecting shells, fishing off the rocks, or just lounging with a good book under a palapa. Very family- oriented beach. The resort next door, Lindo Mar, shares the beach & the palapas are marked for people to know where they can 'park' themselves. There is also another very nice beach adjacent within a 5 minute walk, but you need a beach umbrella to shade yourself from the sun & relax in comfort - also, be careful of the undertides. Beach towels are provided by the hotel & chairs can be carried down for you. Well worth the tip much appreciated & well-deserved by Elijio, their loyal superintendent on staff. Before I forget, Lindo Mar is also sold as a time share, so please beware of invitations to attend a free meal, etc. - just say 'no gracias' & walk away. Few vendors frequent this area, which is great & many locals populate this beach on the weekends & during holidays giving it an authentic feel vs. big resort culture. Downtown Puerto Vallarta is accessible via a $5-7 cab ride each way for two people. BTW - You must try a restaurant called 'Kuma'. The owner's nephew owns/runs it & offers outstanding food, in a simple atmosphere, at very fair prices. Ask Miguel, Franco or Salvador at the lobby front desk for a coupon with the address & valid for a free drink. I've loved my visits to Hotel Playa Conchas Chinas over the years. They made me feel like family every time I return. My only issue over the years is that by midnight, I'm ready for quiet time and every year through no direct fault of the hotel, there have been condo owners below who come home in the middle of the night from partying , slamming doors (which echo) & are less than considerate with their rowdiness/loud music continuing on into sunrise. Another year, there was a dog belonging to the neighbor of the house next door that was incessantly barking throughout the night, another year there was a couple staying in the room next door who got into a bad fight throwing things at the wall, etc. (she left the next morning), last year there was a group of spoiled local brats staying in the Presidential Suite (VERY NICE - BTW) who blared their music, partied all day, napped, partied all night. There was an area outside facing the ocean called the 'Malecon' where kids used to arrive in the middle of the night with their car stereos blaring. Eventually, a couple of years ago, the town placed a chain gating-off the area to prevent future issues. Every year, it was something. The one thing I do love at night is hearing the piano bar from the restaurant upstairs, El Set, (not affiliated with the hotel, but has a connecting staircase), which I hesitate to recommend because of an alterior motive of one of their staff in trying to sell me a timeshare by pretending to be interested in where I was from, etc. & another time their credit card machine was not functioning due to a power outage (?) when the hotel's machine & other restaurant were fully functional. Very unusual. I would encourage maybe one short visit for a cocktail to watch the amazing sunset or enjoy their 'bananas flambe' for dessert with a 'sexy coffee' from their menu. I'd like to emphasize that I'm not an unreasonable person when it comes to being on vacation & having fun, my expectations are resonable, but respect is something we should all have for one another. I must say that the staff at HPCC always made some effort to alleviate the situation every time I would express my concerns of not being able to sleep through the unfortunate distractions, including switching my room altogether cuz I was more tired when I left in 2008 than when I arrived. Sorry, I hate to have the little things add-up & take away from some really great qualities. FYI - Prior to 2003, I never travelled as a tourist in Mexico, especially Puerto Vallarta. My family lives in Nayarit approx. 2 hrs. outside of PV, so I always stayed in their homes & frequented the beaches considered to be 'off the beaten path'. I have something authentic to which I can compare my experience as a 'tourist'. Feel free to give it a try for a couple of nights if you're just passing through. On my part, I just think it's time for a change of scenery on my part.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Inconsiderate noisy guests and/or neighbors waking me up in the middle of the night.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MaryE72
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

My husband and I came to Puerto Vallarta on a last minute whim. We really wanted to be up in Sayulita, but couldn't find rooms. I remembered that I had stayed at Las Conchas Chinas 10 years ago, so I rang them up and got a room. We stayed in a studio that had a gorgeous view of the ocean. We paid 145/per night, which was a little higher than I expected, but for ocean front, a steal compared to Hawaii! The room was clean and the bed comfortable. No complaints. The staff at the hotel was great. They helped us book massages an off the beaten path spa called Conacto Natural up in Nogalito. Well worth a visit, by the way! We ate a lot of meals at the little beach restaurant and were always pleased with the quality. The little beaches in front of and near the hotel were small, but nice. If you are into a pool, the hotel has one, but it is shaded most of the day. By warned, when you pull up in front of the hotel, it doesn't look like much, but once inside, it is truly charming with tropical plants, Mexican tile etc....If you aren't into the time share and all-inclusive scene, this is a wonderful alternative.

• Liked — the views
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Kimflys
illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

MY husband and I stayed at the hotel for 3 days and was planning to STAY a few more but we went on a ocean outing and when we return to room we fined out we had been robbed of 1200.00. We had a do not disturb sign on door but someone enter anyway and it had be the maid because room was cleaned up. The manager did nothing to accommadate us .We had to have money wired and pay for another night of stay. I felt since we was robbed at his hotel he could of lease put us up for night and offer us something to eat. Hedid nothing except say thee maid said she did'nt do it. We also had a wake up call to go out for outing so staff knew we was gone from our room.Everything was good untill that happened. I will not go back to that motel because of lack of mangement handling the sitution right.

Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
2 Thank graper14
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

I paid just over $100 per night for a jacuzzi room. There were cheaper places, but I read horrible things about those. About this hotel:
The good:
- Price is great, a far better deal than the larger hotels in P.V.
- very friendly and personable staff
- easy to find, and close to downtown (5 minute drive or 10 minute bus) without being in the loud nightlife area of P.V.
- breathtaking view out the window
- a couple of restaurants on site, slightly expensive (but this is probably because I had just come from Chacala, where everything was very cheap) The one down on the beach is cheaper and very good. Skip "El Set," the more formal place. The food is no better, just more expensive.
- beach seemed good for snorkeling, but I didn't because it was a little cool for that in March
The bad:
- The jacuzzi took over an hour to fill. I wish I had saved $15 a night and not had it. I only used it once during the three nights, which made for a pretty expensive bath.
- I don't remember there being an elevator, and you MUST climb stairs to get around this place. Not a problem at all for me, but if you can't deal with stairs, do not stay here.
- The chairs on the beach have signs saying that they are only for guests of the next-door property, the Lindo Mar. The two hotels are the same building, sometimes you can't tell which one you are in, and this made me feel like a second-rate guest.
- Parking is tight (though it is free!), and if you drive then at some point you will likely have to reverse up a very steep driveway. I'm glad I insisted on an automatic when renting the car.
- The pool is cold, and small. Kids likely will not be too happy.

Overall I think it was a fine experience, though it was not enough to make me go back. I am really glad I chose this place over one in the tourist-infested Nuevo Vallarta. It was cheaper and a more authentic Mexican experience.

• Liked — the view, the price
  • Disliked — the worthless hot tub, the pool
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheBloviator
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2008

I agree entirely with Byroenius' review.

All I would add is that we stayed in a "deluxe room" with a jacuzzi which was great! It was big enough for me to be able to stretch out in completely (something I haven't been able to do in a bath since I was 12 years old!). The water jets were nice and powerful and it was on the balcony - so I could jacuzzi while enjoying the view of the sea.

The jacuzzi is also great if you head out and about while its hot outside - so come home hot and sweaty - as you can just fill it with cool water and relax.

Unlike a lot of large hotels, this hotel is about 5 steps from the sea - so rather than your balcony looking over a load of people wallowing around in a pool and bar - you just see palm trees and sunsets over the sea.

The hotel restaurant has surprisingly good (though perhaps a bit expensive) food, although my wife did have to spend quite a while on the loo the next day as a result (and she's Mexican, so she's used to less-than-hygienic food) but I was fine (being English I'm less used to dodgy food). I did try some of her dish (a delicious molcajete) so who knows what caused it?

Overall this is a really good little hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Jacuzzi and kitchenette
  • Disliked — Air conditioning is not all that powerful - but there's a fan in the room that works fine
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple