“RELAX & ENJOY”

Ranked #86 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Sausalito, CA USA
“RELAX & ENJOY”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This small hotel is what I call "Old Mexico", and I love it! If you want hi-rise glitz & glamor, go elsewhere, but for totally laid back lazy days on the beach... check you attitude at the door, and just enjoy the natural beauty of Mexico, customs and charm. We've been return about 5 years running, and found the staff outstanding, esp Salvador, the reservation manger at the front desk, and Alejandro the "Beach Guy", who helps bring out lounges, cushions. Ask and you shall receive. A smile and/or tip doesn't hurt, but there is no pressure to buy drinks or food, in order to spend your day lounging on the beach watching pelicans, and maybe a whale or two. The rooms are spacious with classic Mexican decor: lamps, tile floor, tile sink, etc, ( not marble and granite) and have always been spotlessly clean. The tub/shower drain was slow, but the water hot, and pressure high! We left the 4 folding glass doors open all night and slept to the sound of the water. A/C available but not needed!
We ate most meals at La Playita, at the 1st floor level, just steps up from the beach. Good food, excellent seasoned waiters. Breakfast is outstanding. Also easy 2 mile walk to town on the beach at low tide, or even easier bus ride (8 pesos) stop at front of hotel, for dining in town.
Spring break brings partiers to next door property. Bring ear plugs, or book other month! Physical dexterity needed. 4 floors, no elevador. Depending on what room & floor you choose, you still need to go up & down. The front desk will carry your luggage, so that's not a problem, but for general going to/fro you need your own good knees!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Holidz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This place has great potential. Unfortunately, I can't see it realizing that potential unless it's sold. I was looking for a clean budget-friendly option for nine nights and what I got was something entirely different. When I walked into the first room, I noticed the fantastic view. Great! Then, I noticed a rather large hole in the wall next to the air conditioner, one big enough for a bird to fly through. It seemed like when they bought new air conditioners two or three decades ago, the units weren't as big as the old ones. So rather than properly fill in the gap, they just used Styrofoam to cover it up. Part of the Styrofoam ripped off, but they still rented out the room -- 306 -- anyway. In the next room the bottoms of my feet turned black walking around because the floor was so dirty. The window in the bathroom was so badly rusted out that you couldn't close it, which again meant birds and bugs could easily get in. At least I could shut the door to the bathroom, so I didn't have to worry about getting any droppings in my sleep. Also, the people who said the mattresses were harder than concrete weren't kidding.

On the plus side, the pool was nice enough. But there were only two cheap, plastic lounge chairs. I don't mind that there were the cheap, plastic lounge kind. But is it really too much to ask that A) they not be cracked; and B) you put out a few more of them? This is, after all, a beachfront hotel and people might want to hang out by the pool. Just a thought, there. Then again, even the simplest services were too much for this hotel. Want to make a call using a land line (I know, how archaic on my part, but the only mobile phone I have is through work)? Prepare for an adventure. Need some change? Don't bother asking the front desk because they won't give you any. Folks, those are basic services that even the most basic motel should be able to provide, yet for some reason this place couldn't. The only thing they did right was they agreed to refund the remainder of my stay after I checked out following the first night.

Too bad, because this place could be great. For now, do yourself a favor and book elsewhere.

(If you think I get off on writing negative reviews, check out my previous posts.)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank justsomeone
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed 4 nights last week. Place was great for my girlfriend and I. View was awesome. I would echo what others have said - you are going to do some hiking up and down stairs and a steep driveway but it is well worth it.

Double doors to balcony open all night and listened to crashing of waves on rocks below our room - would have been too loud if anything other than that was making the noise.

Tried the restaurant on the roof and the one above the beach many times. Food was very good, possibly a bit steep dollar wise but nothing else is close. We did eventually go to the store (rode bus which is easy, cheap and runs frequently) to stock up on some basics so that we could cook breakfast in the room and of course to stock up on beer.

Air conditioner worked fine, only needed it a couple times due to ocean breeze.

Couldn't get the tv to work but it might have been operator error. Never did ask for help since we didn't really care.

The little beach out front was the best. Beautiful, not crowded ever unless you count pelicans. Then again we stayed Monday thru Friday so things might be different on the weekend.

Planning on going back soon.

Room Tip: Was in 403 and loved it. Had the spa tub on balcony.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Matthewwarren51907
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Friends, this hotel is not for everyone. If you have mobility problems, don't even think about it. This hotel is built on a cliffside and does not have an elevator. What it does have, however, are million dollar views from each and every room. I really like my room. It's spacious, has a frig, 4 burner stove and limited kitchenware. Because of the ocean breeze, we have yet to close the balcony doors or turn on the air conditioning. Playa Concha Chinas is midway between town and Mismaloya. There's not really much to do at the hotel other than veg. There is a restaurant downstairs (which I quite frankly thought was horrible) and the restaurant El Set is right off the lobby (which I quite frankly think is very good). The bus stop is not far away and 8 pesos will get you to Viejo Vallarta. There's a convenience store about 2 blocks, but trust me, you wouldn't want to walk up that driveway more than once a day! The beach in front of the hotel is very rocky, but there are some swimming spots. High tide eats up most of the beach. I would probably stay here again though I can see the convenience of staying in town. The purple and red sunsets here have stolen my heart though. It will be hard to leave.

Room Tip: Some of the balconies get sun and other's don't. If this is important to you, ask before yo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KYMary
Ingolf
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks February 2012. We had a studio room looking right over the beach ( I think all the rooms have a beach view), two double beds and a kitchenette. Not a five star but very comfortable for an extended stay and very reasonably priced. There is a restaurant on the lower level that is right on the beach that we ate at several times and always enjoyed the meals and "Happy Hour", just listen for the bell. The beach in front of the hotel is small and has large rocks providing private nooks to camp out in but there plenty of other larger beaches close by. The beaches in this area are never crowded. We walked from the hotel in to town on the beaches and rarely saw more than a few people until we go closer to downtown. Took the local bus in to town and to serval other locations several times as one of the main bus routes is right out their front door. The only complaint I had was due to the noise from the villa located next door that was rented out to a group of youngsters out for a good time. The hotel assured me that it was only an issue during school break so bring ear plugs if your booking during any holidays. The managers at the front desk were very helpful.

Room Tip: Tried to book it through my travel agent but she was told there was no room. Expedia claimed to have...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Roy W
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We had a great visit to playa conchas chinas. The room was great and employees were all very Friendly and accomidating. Would stay again

I visited Vallarta with family and friends, friends who had never be to the ocean before. We had a great time. The rooms were ocean view and just down the steps was the beach. There is a restaurant you walk through to get to the beach that offers great ceviche and 2 for 1 happy hour.

We did a lot of day tours so we were mostly in the hotel later in the afternoon or early morning but the location of the hotel was great to travel to the vallarta zoo along with getting picked up for zip lining tours and marietas island tours right buy the gas station about a 5 minute walk down the road. There is bus that drops you off at the road leading to the zoo for a couple cents and right at the stop there was a little stand, a lady offered us to take horses to the main entrance which was about 1 mile walk for only about $5. It was well worth it and fun!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Nothing has changed since my first review of this hotel around a year ago. It's still beautiful, the beds are still rock hard, it's still a fantastic value. I do wish they'd get rid of some of the tables around the pool area & put more lounge chairs in place instead. It's a little ridiculous that there are literally only TWO lounge chairs around the pool (same as last year).

I requested the same room I stayed in last year & they accommodated the request. As was true last year, the A/C worked great & television reception was perfect. This hotel is my favorite "hidden gem" hotel in PV. Like other reviewers have said, it's not fancy, the beds are incredibly hard & service is not the friendliest I've ever experienced...but it's a beautiful place. I love it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple