“It's a beautiful old style hotel -” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Conchas Chinas Hotel

Playa Conchas Chinas Hotel
Ranked #101 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver, Canada
“It's a beautiful old style hotel -”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I love the hotel. THe location is perfect, it has a million $$ view. I also love that you can walk from the hotel room, down to the beach without changing, I can stay in my bathing suit. It's very quiet, it's close to the Old Vallarta location. We could take a cab or bus down to the old town, which is what we like, not New Vallarta. The staff is great! very friendly, lots of advice on the area. I also like the old style, of the lobby. If I were going to say anything, I'd say that the rooms need some renovation, and the kitchenettes need to be upgraded, and made newer. I think that if you did that, I'd be OK to pay more for the rooms. "

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank andrewdob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My friend got married in vallarta so i went there for third time on 2008 august,and i met this beautiful beach,it is very near vallarta and the color of the water was so blue and clear, i recommend it to anyone that is planning to go to vallarta. You wont feel in vallarta, and also you can do snorkeling.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

After staying at a big timeshare resort, we choose to spend another week in PV at this amazing little hotel/condo. This is not a place for everyone, but if you want to see some worn, but still beautiful, old world Mexican decor here it is. You will obviously notice that the place needs some necessary maintenance, but if you look beyond some of the obvious you will find a clean unit with great views on a beach and many architectural features to delight you. The beach in front of the hotel is rocky but provides save shelter for a dip in the ocean and is safe for children. Two restaurants are on site. We chose to eat at the lower level restaurant because it sits right above the beach. The food was average, service slow but friendly and we are still trying to figure out why the cashier sits inside something that looks like a old fashion movie theater booth! Our room was cleaned daily. Be aware there is no elevator here and lots of steps. The staff is wonderful, from our maid to the front office headed by Salvador and Miguel. Our adult daughter was with us for a few days and we stayed in a studio with a huge balcony. Loved the balcony but would probably look into a one or two bedroom if traveling with a third adult.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Gail S
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the long Thanksgiving weekend a few years ago. What a perfect place if you like to be close to the action, but far away enough to enjoy peace and quiet as well!

Our room was perfect and I loved the jacuzzi tub out on the balcony! I would watch the Iguanas running around on the roof of the home below me and see birds from the balcony that I had never seen before.

The staff is friendly and accomadating, no matter what time of day always a smile from a staff member.

My parents stayed there as well a few weeks after we did and had a great experience as well.

Although I am curious about some of the new all-inclusive properties in PV, I think I will stay here again as soon as I am able to return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank taminflight
Sausalito, CA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Love it! It's the best place in the world to "do nothing"! I hate to broadcast this hidden gem, but the wonderful staff headed by Salvador and Miguel, deserve well earned recognition! We have been returning the last 5 years, and hope to continue! This small "old Mexico" hotel is tucked in along side much more glamorous villas, and next to Linda Mar condo/ timeshare. Easy walk on the beach to PV (appx1 mi) , for more lively restaurants, shops, night life, etc... but hard to leave the tranquility at Hotel Conchas Chinas. Playa Conchas Chinas is a small cove created by natures rock formations, with gentle swells, safe swimming, sounds of water 24/7. It's peaceful & quiet, with plenty of water sports available, or just shady palapas to lounge with a book in hand. Not a surf spot. Alexanjo the #1 and only beach-boy extraordinaire will see too it that you are comfortably lounging, or arrange water activity for you. You won't see many string bikinis, or surfers, but you will see lots of pelicans & birds up close and personal, and even whales migrating off shore. We watched Gregoreos the solo fisherman bringing in his catch each morning in his yellow kayak, then slowly clean the fish, sells them, and then shucks a plate of oysters for beach goers. La Playita restaurant is at the beach level, (tho not same owner.) It has very good food, esp the fish, and daily Happy Hours , and Sat/Sun brunch, all reasonably priced and fully staffed. You won't be pressured to buy drinks or food from the restrurant, but it available steps away, with beach service if you want. Same goes for beach vendors. Each room has a balcony and ocean view, mini kitchen. You can cook in your room, and/or byo food & bevs to the beach or pool. If you want glitz, glamor and granite, big pool, water slide, and room service, go elsewhere. If you want a beautiful ocean , green hill scenery, friendly accommodating staff, a quiet pace, love colorful Mexican tile sinks, simple décor, and don't mind slow drains... then you will love this hotel.
*TIPS - Hotel provided water in large 5 gal dispenser in the hallways. * There is a OXXO with mini market & ATM just a few doors away. * Local Bus stop "Conchas Chinas" on the hwy just few 100 ft south of hotel. *Airport taxi 200 pesos / $20; local taxi 500 pesos/ $5; local bus 75 pesos (about $.50) Most places accept US dollars, & Cr Cds, but not all. Many ATMs in town, but not in Conchas Chinas. Be prepared if going out of town small places, like Boca, Yelapa, or Ocean Grill where they only take cash, and there are NO ATMS.

Room Tip: *5 floors, NO ELEVATOR. Lobby at street level , down one flight to 4th, which is the highest room l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Holidz
Yukon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We booked a two bedroom suite through hotels.com, happy to read reviews raving about the hotel's old world charm, views etc. it has fabulous views and a stunning, unusual beach. Dolphins by the hundred entertained us, and stingrays were jumping, to my delight.
The room we were given, on the 4th floor was not up to our hopes at all. Rock hard beds, small rooms, small balcony, very rough and run down. With 4 teenagers, we needed more space. I asked Salvador if he had anything larger...he showed me the Presidential suite and, for a reasonable cost, upgraded us. The kids were blown away. The suite is gorgeous. It is totally out of context for the hotel, but spectacular. Our own pool! From our deck we could watch the dolphins and the sunsets!!
Pros include the views, the presidential suite, the sense of separation from town, the amenities of the suite (it does now have a stove and BBQ), the private pool.
Cons include very patchy wifi, the upkeep of the property everywhere BUT the suite we were in.
I think I would stay in the big suite again, but otherwise wouldn't return here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Datada
Fort Gratiot
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you are looking for a mega resort, this is NOT the place for you. Hotel Playa Conchas Chinas is the perfect quiet getaway with just about 20 rooms. It has no frills, including no elevator, (lots of stairs), but this will NOT deter us from visiting again. What it DOES have is the best view in all of Puerto Vallarta and the warmest, most friendly staff. Almost every day during our two week stay, we prepared breakfast in our room (kitchen area with 2 burner stovetop and ample refrigerator) and enjoyed watching whales and dolphins in the bay from our balcony while eating. The balcony also provided a wonderful vista for our lobster dinners (purchased fresh from the fisherman on the beach) while watching the sunset and the close of the day. The staff was always attentive to our requests and went our of their way to see that we felt at home. I had so much enjoyed our room last year that I contacted the hotel directly this year to see that we could get the same one. My husband and I shared our enthusiasm about this little place with our daughter who was to travel to PV shortly after we returned home and she booked a room there as well. She called us from there to tell us she echoed our experience---and to let us know our "friends" ( the staff there) were equally as accomodating during her stay. Can't wait to go back to our now-second home!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple