“Romantic young couple that didn't mind the families” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive

Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive
Ranked #48 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chicago, Illinois
“Romantic young couple that didn't mind the families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

My boyfriend and I were looking for an all inclusive resort with lot's to do. We picked the melia over an adults-only resort because we wanted more action. And action we found! I would not recomend this hotel for coulples looking for quite, low key and away from it all.

I loved the location. It wasn't on the main drag, but right on the beach and across the street from the marina. the marina is beautiful and and has wonderful shops, spas and restaurants. the marina is a wonderful location and very peaceful, the perfect escape from the rather lively resort.

Each day there is different series of events. even stuff for adults like parties on the beach and trips to the local clubs. We took full advantage of the tennis courts, kayaks, climbing wall and the open bar.

The rooms were lovely. We were the in April so I don't think we expereinced the exrteem heat and the moldy smell some complained of. The room was airconditioned, the bed comfortable, the bathroom appropriate and all kept very clean. We had a kind sized bed and had a couch and chairs along with chairs on the balcony, it was very comfortable. But, when i peaked into the rooms that had two queen beds and bunk beds (those for families) it seemed terribly cramped (the rooms for 6 people where the same size as the room my boyfriend and i shared with a single king.

We had a great time. it was the perfect balance of romance and activity.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cali--International

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

My sister, female friend and I stayed at Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Resort for 7 days from April 15 - 21, 2010.

It was my first time in Mexico/Puerto Vallarta and my first all-inclusive experience. We had a wonderful experience at Melia’s. The main lobby is huge with lots of comfy couches to chill and relax. There are about 6 laptops with free high speed internet by the front desk area for guests to use. The hotel grounds are very clean and well-maintained. The hotel is surrounded by beautiful greenery. There is an ecological lake with fishes, ducks and geese. There are many friendly resident iguanas by the lake. You can touch, hold and take pictures with them. We saw staff cleaning and maintaining the hotel grounds everyday. Melia is an older hotel property and looks a little bit outdated, but to me the old fashionedness of the hotel made it very warm and inviting. Melia looks like an authentic Mexican hotel, as oppose to many new and modern hotels that looks very North Americanized. Check in was very easy and smooth. Service and hotel staff are great...from security, waiters, bartenders to front desk and activities staff...everyone is very pleasant, friendly and accommodating and they ensured that we have a wonderful experience throughout our stay...they work really hard for such small wage...they don’t expect to be tipped but tip them well because they deserve it.

The hotel has a great location. Its 5 minutes away from airport. About 10-15 minutes away from downtown and a 3 minute walk to the marina boardwalk. If you are going to Centro/Downtown in the daytime, take the public bus. Bus stop is outside and right across from Melia's. You pay only 6.50 pesos. The bus ride is safe and cheap, plus you get to see and experience the PV culture. Although, its a very bumpy ride, especially if you are sitting in the back. If you are going to Centro for a nightlife, then take a taxi, there’s a fixed price of taxi fare from Melia to centro and vice versa. Just ask the security guard or bell boy about the cab fare and ensure you communicate to the taxi driver about the cab fare prior to getting in the taxi.

We saw people of all ages at Melia’s from young children to older people. The hotel has many different activities that people of all ages would enjoy from kids club, kayaking, riffle shooting, rock climbing, night shows, dancing lessons, etc. The people I travelled with are young and single and we were looking for a good night life. PV has a great night life. There are many good restaurants/bars in Centro along the El Malecon area (across the beach) in the daytime. At night time, these restaurants turn into bars/nightclubs. Melia has a great service every night that brings hotel guests to a club for $10 USD, which includes cover, one way transportation and 1 free drink. We club crawled on a Saturday night at Hilo, Zoo and Mandala. These are pretty good clubs that are close to each other and within walking distance. We got into these clubs/bars free of cover, most likely because I went clubbing with 3 other girls.

Melia’s pool is very large with a shallow and deeper end...there is also a swim up bar. There are lots of lounge chairs for everybody by the pool. Melia's beach is also pretty decent with lounge chairs by the beach area. If you want to do jetskiing, parasailing, etc. then look for a private owner named Alex by the beach.

Melia has a buffet restaurant and a la palapita snack bar by the pool area where they serve french fries, nuggets, hotdogs, hamburgers, ice cream, etc. There are 3 a la carte restaurants (outdoor grill, Mexican and Italian) Italian restaurant is the only one you have to make a reservation in advance. The buffet and a la carte restaurants have a variety of foods that people of all ages will enjoy...I enjoyed most of the foods and I am happy that none of us has gotten sick during our stay, but I still recommend for you to bring pepto bismol, just in case.

Will I come back again to this hotel? Most definitely! For the value, location, service and most of all because of the hotel staff...they are so AWESOME. They ensured that we had a great time and ensured our safety too.

Kudos to Tristan of activities, Adrian of security, Alonso, Maria and Tania of front desk/customer service and many other staff members whose names I had forgotten. Thank you very much Melia for our wonderful stay....I will treasure many good memories that I had there....

From Karen of Vancouver, BC Canada

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank Ladymagenta
Edmonton, AB,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

I didn't do a review of the Melia PV right when we came back, but I decided that I should right a positive review since it's usually the bad reviews that get read on TripAdvisor.

This hotel was so close to the airport and is situated in the Marina area of PV. Great location and very easy to get to the shopping centres, restaurants and Malecon.

We had a ocean view room which was spotless. Beds were firm but I had no complaints. A/C worked great in the rooms (maybe it was a little too cold but nothing that couldn't be adjusted!) When you walk into your room at first it smelled musty but the smell went away when you jacked up the A/C.

Food was great. I enjoyed the buffets more than the sit downs. Mmmm breakfast was the best! The orange juice was soo good! Servers were extremely pleasant and we tipped a lot because they deserved it.

Drinks were top shelf (they had my favorite Malibu Rum!) and if you wanted more alcohol just ask them and they will pour more. The swim up bar was great! Never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a drink.

There were always chairs by the pool when we were there but we went apparently during low season. water was cool-warm - just perfect for the Mexican Heat. Don't forget your sunscreen!

They had vendors on certain days selling different items but I found the prices cheaper on the Malecon or in the market area.

Entertainment was fun - nightly shows were good but a lot of it was geared toward the children.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pinayflava
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

Just got back from a 10 day stay at the Melia (April 12-22nd). This was our 5th trip to Mexico, but our first with our 3 year old. We travelled with our friends, a couple with no kids. First of all, the location is great. A five minute ride from the airport and an easy walk to the Marina. 10 minute cab or bus ride to downtown, 5 mins to a really nice mall (and Walmart which was great to pick up pool toys and sunscreen for cheap). Lobby is very nice, check-in was smooth. Yes, they try to get you to take a tour which is really their vacation club spiel, but I simply told them that we had a long flight and wanted to get right to our room. No problem at all. I can tell you that in my experience, this hotel was the LEAST pushy with the timeshare stuff than any of the other Mexican resorts we have stayed at. Really. Our room was fine. It had a nice balcony, the bathroom was fine. It is a 3 star resort... not a not of frills, needs updating and isn't fancy. I always pack an empty spray bottle and a little bottle of essential oil. Mix 10 drops in the bottle with water, shake and spray liberally. The musty smell is solved. Or bring Febreeze like others have suggested. The grounds are very pretty... my daughter was enthralled with the koi fish ponds and the resident iguanas. She also loved strolling around looking for fallen coconuts and mangoes. The pool was huge and perfect for kids. 60% of the pool is 2' 7" deep which allows the little ones to walk. A huge assortment of pool floaties is available for you to use and no matter how busy it was, we never had a problem finding a tube or raft. We would get our towels after breakfast and save chairs in the shade about 9am. Everyone does this and if you are late, good luck getting shade. Tip the bartenders, maids, waiters etc early in your stay and they will remember you for your whole trip. Really the staff was excellent.... friendly and went out of their way to make us happy and get a giggle from our daughter. Food was good.... huge selection. Not gourmet, but plentiful and fresh. Taquitos and fresh salsa & chips by the pool were always good. Different flavors of ice cream all day long kept the kids happy. One day, they brought out a huge paella pan and served hot paella to all the pool goers... delicious. Another day they made fresh guacamole. Drinks... just be specific if you want top shelf, and ask for beer in a can if you want it cold. My daughter loved the virgin pina coladas and daquiris... and I would make her ice cream floats with coke and drop her ice cream in it (hey it's vacation!). The only bad meal we had was at the "fancy" italian restaurant funny enough. I would skip it. I brought along plastic snack containers from home and at breakfast I would fill with cereal and grab a banana and some crackers for my daughter to snack on during the times meals weren't being served (5-6pm). Also grabbed a jar of peanut butter at Walmart which she put on toast in the morning or crackers during the day. Entertainment was great. I am a overprotective mom who was not at all interested in utilizing the baby clubs (she didn't want to go anyway... she wanted to swim all day) but lots of parents used it and the daycare providers seemed great. I just prefer to have her in my sight all day :) They played a funny game every day at 12:15... but it was very tame compared to the pool activities at the other resorts we have been to. Quiet music at the pool... not sure why some people found it bothersome. Honestly, we could hardly hear it. Night entertainment was great.... the mini-disco for kids was hilarious and for our outgoing kid it was heaven. The staff is great and we laughed until tears came. The "adult" shows were always entertaining... (I am a retired ballet dancer so the dance sequences made me cringe, but goodness they put their heart and soul into it). The beach was not the biggest, but it certainly was good enough for us. We prefer Cancun side beach anyway, and don't come to PV for superior beaches. The vendors were hardly bothersome... yes, they ask you if you want braids or tattoos... but one nice "no" was always enough. We were never hounded in any way. That is just part of Mexico, right? Decent sand and small waves... thrilling for little kids. Yes, our last trip to PV we stayed at Velas Vallarta and it is nicer, and prettier and the food was better. But for a family trip this was perfect. We are regular Disney World visitors and we compared this to a "moderate" Disney resort... not a "deluxe", Our daughter had the time of her life and that is what was important to us. It was relaxing, fun... felt very safe and we came home happy.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank MeghanHarden
Alberta Beach, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

My Husband and I travelled to The Melia from April 8th-15th and it had everything
we wanted.
In our opinon there is nothing to complain about, we were in paradise.
It was our first time visiting P.V and we can't wait to go back. The staff is amazing and
always so polite.
Alberto at the swim-up bar makes the best drinks (Dirty Monkey was my
favorite) Bengamin waited on us at the pool and beach,always with a smile.
The staff work their butts off and are super friendly.We had a garden view room and it was perfect.
The housekeeping staff always had our room spotless. As for the mini bar, we left a note politely asking for more beer,water etc.and our fridge was overflowing. If you
prefer top shelf alcohol, just ask, they have everything!!! We even got canned beer around
the pool instead of the little plastic cups. The food is really good, great lobby bar, huge pool, fun shows,and tons of activities throughout the day and night. The grounds are beautiful.If your easy going and are looking for a wonderful vacation,The Melia is a great choice.
We can't wait to go back with our friends and family.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lee J
Rice Lake, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

Stayed at the Melia for Spring Break in 2008. Definitely a family oriented resort. Food choices were good but it was my first all-inclusive so not much to compare to on that end. The pool is very big and the staff were very energetic. DO NOT stay here if you want quiet during the day, as the staff encourage group participation, especially near the pool. Room was nice and comfortable, there was some remodeling going on while we were there ( a little odd considering it was spring break time) but the construction didn't bother us during the stay. Overall a good place to hang out for a week, especiall if you are bringing kids to Mexico.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank callen33
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

I will be honest and tell you my perspective pertaining to this resort.
The rooms are a little out dated, but still nice enough for the price that you pay. Our room did have a bit of a musty smell to it, but when we said something to the front desk they gave us a dehumidifier and that helped a lot. The staff seemed to really want to please you. We waited when we got there because the man told us he had a great room if we wanted to wait. He was right and the view was spectacular. We got the lowest grade room available and for us two it was fine. I wouldn't suggest paying extra for the M-Experience room. We met a couple that had it and their room wasn't much better than our regular room. They just had a flat screen TV, but their bed was the same. Our room had water, soda and, beer in the fridge. The food was great and changed daily at the buffet. Of course there is a majority of Mexican dishes, but they other things too. We had one meal in the Italian restaurant that was good, but you don't really need to dress up as was mentioned, just dress half decent. They have a great 24 hour food buffet, and it really hits the spot after drinking in town. There is a lot of entertainment there and it is actually pretty good. We have stayed at Sandals, and The Royal and the Melia's entertainment was actually better. We went as a couple without kids and we were a little worried about the kids, but they really didn't seem to bother us at all. If you are going to get away from kids this obviously might not be the place to go. We have stayed at the Royal Cancun, Royal Playa Del Carmen, and 3 Sandals resorts. Yes, we had a little nicer room at those other resorts, but the food wasn't much better and Melia's entertainment was actually better. The big difference is the price, and like most things you get what you pay for. Are there better all-Inclusive hotels in Puerto Vallarta Yes, but you're going to pay more. If you have kids and you want a place for you to go with them and you want to save a little money this is your place. There is a mishmash of couples, singles, and parents and it seemed everyone was having a great time. One more thing service is great whether you tip or not, but a tip is greatly appreciated. We gave out 20 or 50 Pesos (2 or 5 bucks) to the wait staff and they loved it, but they didn't expect it. All in all it was a nice resort and we have stayed at higher end resorts. For the price you can't beat this Melia resort.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple