“Enjoyed our stay!”

Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive
Ranked #48 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We just got back from 5 nights at the Melia with our 4 year old and had the best time. The service was great and the entire resort was very clean. We stayed in the "M Experience" room." This was nicer and more updated with a nice ocean front view (robes provided too!). Ask to upgrade at front desk and they will should offer you a good price!

We also reserved a nice bed one day that overlooks the ocean. There are 4 of them available. It's 300 pesos or about 28.00 US dollars for entire day. It was really relaxing and we had a waiter too. It was perfect when we needed a pool break!

The beach was okay but the sand was very HOT. My daughter enjoyed the pool better.

The exercise room is dated but usable. I run and they had 3 treadmills to choose from. Basic weight machines and free weights. A couple of bikes and stair steppers. It's very hot in there...air condition wasn't working right.

Food was good, drinks ok. They have an Italian restaurant and men have to wear pants. So bring a pair... jeans are okay too!

They have a walmart near by if you needed to get anything you forgot at home. $5.00 for a taxi there. We needed to go! :)

My daughter had a fun time at the walk in pool that was by the hot dogs, chips, popcorn, etc. bar. Great location...

Overall, we were pleased and would go back again! :)

Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

We are much honored to receive this type of comment because it encourages the company to keep offering an excellent service and to have our guest completely satisfied.

We will continue to improve our installations to give you the best experience. I would like to mention that the dress code at Vitrales is: Casual – Formal. Gentlemen: Long pants and Shirt and Ladies: Dress, blouses and skirts.

Thank you for your nice comments and hope to see you soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,895)

996 - 1,002 of 3,895 reviews

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Last year we stayed at the Melia Cabo Real in Los Cabos and found it to be outstanding in all categories. I thought I had found the resort chain that I could depend on for a great resort experience no matter where we traveled so I booked Puerto Vallarta this year expecting the same outstanding food, property and service- Boy I was wrong. I don't usually write reviews- but I have benefited so many times by others reviews- I feel I need to contribute. I hope this helps you in your decision to spend your hard earned money.

The Melia at Puerto Vallarta was significantly inferior to their facility in Cabo in these areas:

1. Property/Beach- the property is nice but dated and well maintained. The beach is not owned by Melia and it's not an impressive or usable beach front. The Melia goes out of their way to let you know the beach is not theirs. If your looking for true beach front resort and plan on spending a lot of time on the beach and in the ocean- look elsewhere. The pool was at least 90 degrees becuase it's shallow and they refused to turn on the fountain which would have provided some cooling. We had to get out of the water to cool off ! The pool furniture is dated and cheap.

They closed the pool bar at 6:00pm each night and the pool at 7:00 pm- unbelievable ! They only had one bar open on the property after 6:00 pm and that was the lobby bar.

2. Food- the food sucked- period. I'm not a picky food nazi- I just want some good food and some variety- they had neither. The Cabo resort changed their buffet significantly each meal and each day and always had a lot to choose from including some local items. At Puerto Vallarta- we got so tired of the same crap that we ended going out to eat a lot-why pay for an all inclusive ? We made reservations at the steak and seafood restaurant one night- it was absolutely horrible. They required men to wear pants for the Italian restaurant- what a joke ! Who brings long pants to Mexico in June.

3. Service- in general the service was very good. However, unlike Cabo- I was surprised to find that many of the staff did not speak english. I sustained some skin abrasions playing beach volleyball ( the sand is very abrasive there). It was bleeding pretty bad so I went to the activities desk to ask for some first aid. They couldn't understand me - I had to point to my knee. After the employees debated about who to call and what to do for some time, a guy ( who didn't speak english either) showed up with what appeared to be a medical kit. It ended up being an old tackle box with some antiseptic and a couple of gauze pads- no adhesive, no band aids and no clue. Scary. What if one of my kids got hurt ?

4. Entertainment- horrible to the point of feeling embarrassed for the performers.

5. Smoking- this is supposed to be a non-smoking resort ? I think it would have been easier to count those who were not smoking. Everyone was smoking everywhere- even at the swim up bar !

6. Time Share Sales- When we stayed at the Cabo resort we were not asked once to attend a presentation or anything about buying in to their resort. Here- we were constantly harassed. The sales staff in the lobby area out number anyone who can actually assist you with your question. One morning I went down to the lobby to ask where I could get coffee- only to be pitched.

7. Noise- we stayed on the 7th floor of the main building. The lobby bar had entertainment each night- the kind with a lot of bad music with a lot of base. Because the lobby is open, we could clearly hear the music until 1:00 am with our windows closed- to the point of having to turn up the tv and not being able to sleep.

I may have just got lucky with the Melia Cabo resort- it may be the best one Melia has.. I don't know. I can tell you that I will never assume that becuase one property is outstanding- all of them will be. I really talked up Melia and invited my sister and her family to join us at PV based on my experience at Cabo. I felt really bad that not only did I not make a good decision- but was responsible for my sister and her family wasting their $$ at this place.

I

2  Thank spkbart
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience in our property, it is very important for us to know the opinions of our guests, so we have the opportunity to take immediate actions to improve our services.

We apologize for the inconvenience during your stay as you mention on your reviews, we indeed appreciate your feedback and deeply understand your feeling. I certain that with our ongoing improvement program of our services and the valuable suggestions and comments from our guest, our hotel will achieve the quality levels that our guest expect from Melia Puerto Vallarta.

Once again thank you for your comments!

Reviewed June 15, 2012

We spent six days at the resort last May. The hotel is indeed family oriented, the facilties are beatiful if we take into account the gardens. Pool is huge, food is above average for any All inclusive hotel (Yes, even for those All inclusive hotels in Cancun). Activities at the teather in the night are way above than any other Hotel I have ever stayed. During the day they have all kind of activities ( including a great club for little kids) and the wait and activity staff are very friendly. The beach is great during the afternoons. However just watch for this:

1. They do not activities for teenagers, so if you are planning to take them with you move to another hotel.

2. The hotel claims to be "smoking free facility" but the rule is not inforced. Domestic and foreign tourists smoke everywhere.

3. If you want to access internet, good luck with that, you have to pay a good amount of money.

4. if you are looking for a massage in the spa better go to the harbor ( just in front of the hotel) and you can get cheaper rates.

5. Gym too small and old.

Yeah, I recommend the hotel, but keep in mind the weak points.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank HBTulsa
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you very much for your nice review regarding our Facilities & Staff. I am glad to know that our Activity Staff & Wait Staff were kind and made you feel comfortable.

Accept my most sincere apologies for inconveniences you mentioned in your review. I assure you, we will take all your comments to improve those areas you mentioned it. In reference to the “Smoking free facility” we will force this rule.

Once again thank you comments and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

We appreciate your recommendations of our Hotel.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

The resort stay was just OK for us. The timeshare spiel was pushed a little too hard for my taste.
The mexican restaurant was the highlight of the trip. Jonathan and his wait staff, bus boys, and drink waitress took care of us and was very much appreciated.I actually owe Jonathan big time, since I ordered the "Chicken with Mole sauce" but he recalled that I said I was allergic to shellfish and even though it is clearly not indicated on the menu, the chicken was stuffed with shrimps, a practice they may want to change, or at the very least indicate on the menu...
When we checked in on the weekend, we were seriously planning to leave and go somewhere else, since the pool (although REALLY large) was PACKED full of people. It was like a big party, not a family envornment at all on the weekend.
I realize that it is Mexico, but it was hard to communicate with some of the employees in english. Rather than saying they didn't understand the question, they said "Yes" and smiled....
On our last day we went to the Marina and was outright harassed by fishing boat people, time share and vacation club people. But if you can stomach all that, go to the NO NAME bar and restaurant, they had a really good breakfast for us.
We still love Puerto Vallarta and stayed at the Malecon until late in the evening with NO problems. It is a very safe city, we have more crime in my home city of San Jose, CA.
I personally walked around the city without any worries at night several times.
Overall OK, experience, but we've had better in Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the "M-experience" room, the ocean view is worth it, and it is significantly mo...
2  Thank John C
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

First I would like to thank you for visiting Melia Puerto Vallarta. Thank you for your positive notes regarding Jonathan. In reference to the Chicken with Mole sauce now we already changed all our menus which indicate "Stuffed shrimps".

We appreciated your comments that give us the opportunity to make the neccesary changes.

We hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Just got back from a fabulous vacation in PV. We chose Melia based on all the reviews here and were not disappointed. Nice location in the Marina area and 10 minutes from the airport. Check in was a breeze followed by a detailed description of the property and various activities which inevitably ended with an offer to attend a time-share presentation. No big deal. Once we said no, nobody bothered us.

Room- We stayed in an oceanfront room (building 1) and had a gorgeous view of Bay of Banderas to wake up to every morning. The bed was comfortable. Decent bathroom with toiletries. The refrigerator was well stocked with water/beer/soda which were complimentary. Housekeeping did a decent job of cleaning/restocking etc.

Food- We were quite happy with the selection of food/drinks at the various buffets. The hotel did a great job of changing things around and serving new items at the various meals. All the breakfast and lunch buffets were at the La Palapa Grill which had nice veiews of the Bay. Most of the servers were same and we got to know a couple of them well as they would be taking care of our table for the meals. We also did not mind tipping a couple of $ every time. Our only "formal" meal was a dinner at the Italian restaurant Vitrales and we really enjoyed that. It does need prior reservation and formal clothing. There are a couple of wines which are included in the AI but you will have to pay extra for any other on the list.

Pool/Beach- The pool was quite big and plenty of chairs/loungers all around. Our 4 year old wanted to hang out there most of the time. The pool bar was also a big hit with us as we could just swim over to that and enjoy our drinks. The hotel does have a small beach area which was OK; nothing special.

Drinks- Had a bunch of pina colada/daiquri/margarita. My favorite was the Mango Margarita. I thought that the drinks were better (stronger) at the lobby bar and also the pool bar as compared to the buffets. Tipping at the bar also helped :).

There are a bunch of other activities on the property. There is a kids area (Flinstones Land) with babysitting/day care and activities/games for kids. Our son was not interested but there were a few kids in there. There was tennis, shuffleboard, mini-golf etc. My wife had a couple of massages and was quite happy with those. There were also nightly shows which were OK.
The hotel is a nice 10 minute walk to the Marina area where you can find a Starbucks and few other restaurants. It is also a cheap (80 peso) taxi ride to the Boardwalk (Malecon) area which was a lot of fun and highly recommended. One could also take the bus.

The hotel property itself is quite wonderful and very well maintained. There was plenty of greenery and a tropical feel about the place. There are paths to walk around and explore. There is a pond with a ton of koi plus a few big iguanas hanging out. We also found a mango tree with unripe mangoes hanging in the middle of the property.
My only gripe would be the lack of a decent beach and free internet. We did buy 1 hour internet cards (50 peso) from the hotel shop. There are cards available for 1/2/3 days also. But we were there for relaxing and this was not a big issue. Finally, the hotel front desk let us check out a couple of hours late without any additional penalty.
Overall, we were very pleased and satisfied with our stay and will not hesitate to come back.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 1 and had a nice view of the Bay of Banderas.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank kst1
Reviewed May 30, 2012

After spending a full day at Melia Puerto Vallarta we decided we were definitely going back next year! The service was GREAT! The staff was very helpful, friendly, courteous, helpful anything and everything we needed was in the resort there was no need to venture off the premises. We got massages by the beach BEST 50 minutes of relaxation!!! Can't say enough about this place. Authentic food (Mexican food that is). The staff service at the pool was OUTSTANDING!!!! Angel, Benjamin, Abraham, Omar thank you for the great service provided during our stay!! The shows at night AWESOME!!! MUST experience this place if you like relaxation, no crowds and family friendly places.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Adri_052309
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I just went to the Melia All Inclusive at Puerto Vallarta Mexico. First, let me tell you that Puerto Vallarta is a wonderful place and if you are dubious wheather to spend your next vacation there, please do go because the place is gorgeous.

The problem is this Hotel... the Melia at Puerto Vallarta:

1. It says that it is "All Inclusive" ... but when you arrive there ... there are a lots of stuff that if you want them they will charge you . Differently to a lot of other All inclusive hotels , the waiters are expecting to get tipped on a regular basis.

2. Food sucked!!!... Burgers were frozen patties full of grease, hotdogs were actually deep fried , they had NO FRENCH FRIES . They had a Mexican Buffet that featured chilli con carne and bbq ribs!!!! (what the hell is mexican about bbq ribs???) They had a barbaque night in which they said they had prime cuts such as New York Steak. I asked for that and they gave me a peace of meat that was obiously not grilled but cooked in a pan. It was as thick as a ham rebanade for a sandwich and was covered on a mushroom sauce (WTF???!!!)

3. They had the same desserts in every single meal!!!!

4. The only food that was bearable was from the italian restaruant . It was good tasting... eventhough the pasta was obviosly overcooked. They can´t cook al dente pasta no matter how much times you ask for it . They are just incompetent .

5. The rooms are OK . and pool is huge . The activities by the GO´s are well organized and they are competent in the english language .

6. The shows at night are just plain awful and painful to watch . They lack quality and they don´t use microphones so it is difficult to even hear their lines .

Room Tip: If you are convinced of going to this hotel be sure to get the ones that have the sea view. this one...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple