“Non-existent pools”

Ranked #56 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chiago
“Non-existent pools”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

The photos shown on trip advisor are terribly misleading. The pools shown in these photos exist but have been sold to the new Hilton property bordering Krystal with no access to guests at Krystal. Krystal guests have access to a smaller interior pool and a number of hot tubs usually overrun with children.

Room Tip: Simply book at the hotel or go downtown PV for a quality experience.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Thomas C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Tapachula, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

My stay at this resort was due to a business trip, it was nice until I went to the restaurant then I noticed there were flies on the food, including carrion flies, which I tought was unpleasant and a bad image for the resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Juliusprolixus
East Hanover, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was featured two nights ago and the show ABCThelookout. The said the restaurants and certain activities are not included. The resort needs lots of repairs and they even showed them collecting bed bugs off the bed!!!! Look up the episode. I would never stay there based on this show!

• Stayed September 2012
8 Thank Harleygirl310

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Vallarta hotels

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Now its all about money and extras.........everything changes at the last moment...from free to gratuity enforced to not open because of renos....I understand Mexico, but not to this degree of manipulation.

Room Tip: Negotiate with front desk by offering pesos! Nothing is free in this resort!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank rugged2000
Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I just watched an episode of the Look Out on ABC and realized that this is the same resort my husband, son and I visited about seven years ago. We were also very disappointed with the resort and how it was advertised on the web site. There was actually a party one night and we were barred from entering the restaurant and beach area! But the worst part was that we were duped (yes our fault) into buying a time share. It was such a hard sell that when all was said and done we had committed ourselves to a $10,000.00 time share. Quite a bit less than their original offer but high none the less. We immediately had buyers remorse but felt stuck. The next day I was outside our room and someone from Hotel.com asked me how our stay was going. I said ok except for the time share disaster. He asked what did I mean so I explained. He was so nice and said you know you can get out of it. I asked how and he basically told me that we had to go to what is basically the Mexican Better Business Office. So we did and sure enough we were able to get out of it. Later the manager of the hotel called us in and told us that if we were unhappy all we had to do was go to her and she would have fixed everything. But that is not what we were lead to believe by the sales person. Who, by the way even took us to dinner that night he was so thrilled that we had bought the time share. He was actually from England. Anyway we got out of it and that's all we cared about. Our money was saved and they didn't get our down payment. I hate time shares and wanted to start wearing a T shirt that said. PLEASE DON'T APPROACH ME ABOUT A TIME SHARE!!!

Room Tip: Rooms with a private pool were nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Roberta R
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I am sitting here at 1130 am, the morning after I returned from Krystal, to write this review. This cannot wait as it may help someone avoid the nightmare we just endured.
Upon our arrival at Krystal, our first impression was well this isn't too bad. 25 steps later I realized how wrong I was. We booked four rooms at Krystal, with family from the US and Mexico meeting together to celebrate mine and my wife's anniversary. Our booking request was completely screwed up and we were trying to figure out how to fit the people in the rooms they were providing for us. After I EXPRESSED my extreme displeasure, my room was upgraded to something I could only describe as a subpar suite. Nothing was done for the other guests though, even with me EXPRESSING more displeasure.
The a/c in the our "suite" did not work in the bedroom. I called for repair but it took three phone calls to get the repair accomplished. Our children were placed on a murphy bed in the living area.
Our kids brought in rocks from the "Golden Beachfront" in their swimsuits. I placed FOUR phone calls to the front desk asking for a broom. I'm back in Texas and still haven't seen the broom I asked for. Finally I used one of our bath towels to clean up the rocks.
Two bottles of water are provided for your room each day. When my wife became ill, they tried to charge me $2.50 for a bottle of water to give to her. The mini bar is locked unless you provide a 500 peso deposit. The phone is off unless you provide a 500 peso deposit and then you are charged 6 pesos for local calls to land lines or 12.50 pesos per minute for calls to local cell phones.
Before you believe, (like I did), about the restaurants and bars let me give you the skinny. ONE bar open until 11pm which also serves the restaurant and you will wait inline behind the servers getting drinks for the restaurant. No swim up bars, One all-inclusive restaurant, oh wait, they did tell us after 5 days that we could eat at the sushi bar also. The food is bland, with crows and flies fighting over the crumbs dropped near the buffet. They do not put alcohol in the drinks at the bar UNLESS you ask for it. We "celebrated" our anniversary at the Italian restaurant which is on a scale below Olive Garden.
The hotel standard should be one or two star. As you can tell, my first anniversary with my beautiful wife was a horrendous flop. I am extremely disappointed with this trip. I was in contact with my travel agent the entire time and he offered to help us switch hotels. Due to the difficulty in arranging our massive move, we decided to stick it out and suffer.
While I have dedicated this review to the downside of the hotel I must say this in a positive note.
The housekeeper who took care of our room tried her best to help us and keep us cheerful. I also have to thank Barbara for arranging an anniversary surprise for my wife.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Eddie M
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked an all inclusive trip to the Krystal for our anniversary. Usually, when travelling, we backpack it and stay in hostels, but we figured we'd spend some good money on an all inclusive resort. I regret not looking further into the reviews for Krystal.

The all inclusive was a bit of a joke. The food is buffet style and was extremely bland. Pasta with tomato sauce and fried chicken were some of the choices. We ended up living off chips and salsa for the time we were there.

The pool was alright. It is ocean front, so there is no complaining to be done there whatsoever; the Puerto Vallarta coastline is so amazing!!! The room was okay as well. We had an ocean front room which was breathtaking. Other reviews suggest the rooms were dirty. Ours wasn't and seemed fine except for really bad pillows and the AC wasn't powerful enough to handle the Mexico heat.

What turned us off most was the bad food and the fact that to Krystal hotel, "All-inclusive" doesn't really mean ALL inclusive. All the beers on tap are included, but Corona is the only beer. Certain hard liquors included, but the blended drinks aren't strong. No bottled beers included. No room service included. The buffet is included, but was not good at all.

To me, it seemed more of a resort for the locals to come take a little break at.

We ended up checking out after a night and day and a half and staying at the Casamagna instead.

Would have been okay with better food!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jshea734
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#26 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#29 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,435 reviews
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Me...
#21 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Casa Dona Susana
Hotel Casa Dona Susana
#23 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa del Palmar Flamingos

Been to Krystal Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!