“Krystal Puerto Vallarta Summer 2012”

Krystal Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #64 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed September 14, 2012

8/15/12

To the management of The Krystal in Puerto Vallarta:

I have finally returned from my summer vacation and I now have the time to write a review of my stay in Puerto Vallarta at the Krystal. I have nothing but praise for all of the people at the front counter during check-in and check-out. Everyone was so kind and accommodating and met our needs in a professional manner. I also enjoyed the food at the restaurant by the beach. The food was delicious and the service was superb. Everyone at the restaurant was courteous and professional. They even accommodated us for take out on the days that we preferred to eat in our rooms supplying us with plates etc. At the end of our stay, the management was also very accommodating and allowed us a late check-out as our plane had a late departure. Once again, I cannot praise the personnel at the Krystal enough. They made our stay memorable and enjoyable and I am looking forward to spending more vacation time at the Krystal in the near future.

Sincerely yours,
Linda Gilbert (Krystal Time Share Member)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Linda G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,659)

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I'll admit that as an American my expectations are a bit high. With that mindset we checked in for our initial stay at the Krystal resort. We were placed in the hotel tower on the beach for the first leg of our stay. Our room wasn't an ocean-view room, but that was fine. The bed was comfy, the room was clean. There were some places were scuffs and wearing were visible, but unless you're checking into a brand new or top of the line hotel, that's normal. The infinity pool is fantastic, and the cabanas on the beach were amazing. The staff were there before we even needed them! The grounds are well taken care of and gorgeous. On the second leg of our vacation we were informed that the hotel tower was closed for renovations and we'd be given a free upgrade to a villa with private pool. Great! So the villa, on the surface, was awesome. Walk in, and there's a large kitchen and living room, six person dining room table, etc., and a separate king bedroom. The bedroom itself was okay- the bed was hard, but we dealt. The bathroom on the other hand was... iffy. The shower head completely detached from the rest of the fixture as soon as I climbed in the shower, there was quite a bit of mold around the edges of the shower enclosure and the walls, and the room was very dimly lit. The living room was another problem.. the doors leading to the pool area had a good 1.5ingap both under and above which let TONS of rainwater when it rained nightly. Along with water we had lizards and tons, TONS of tiny ants. On everything in the front living area. On the couches, the dining room table, etc. to the point where we basically "lived" in the bedroom area. Not cool. The one upside to all of this was the resort was dead- we were at the end of the tourist season for "locals" and before the Americans arrived. It was quiet, which was amazing. We had the place to ourselves, for the most part. I'm sure the resort was amazing 5 years ago.. but the fact that they're currently doing renovations shows that when we visit again (which we will) it'll be up to par.

Room Tip: Be picky! There ARE good rooms here!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Betweenthebars
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Food was very bad and always cold. The rooms were in horrible condition with mold on the walls. The swim-up bar they said they had was sold to the hotel next store. We were told we would get bottled water daily and asked for it never got any. I could go on for hours about how bad this place was and how bad we were treaded. The only people we found that liked the place were 1st timers because they didn’t now what to expect in a all-inclusive facility and most of them we talked to were not pleased. The place also had around 300 spring breakers witch made it impossible to get drink or a seat at the pool.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank BOB P
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We visited the Krystal Vallarta Aug.15-19, 2012 for my birthday celebration. I had read various reviews before leaving for the trip, both pro and con, and we being regular travelers visiting various locations around the world, we always keep an open mind when traveling.
Upon check-in we were greeted by a friendly gentleman named Marcos at the front desk. We were given a villa near the quiet pool area where there was also a bar nearby. Marcos informed us if we were not happy with the room he could move us.When entering the villa, we did notice there was a moldy smell. Also there was a leak in the roof causing some drops of water to enter near the sliding door. I phoned the front desk and informed Marcos. He immediately sent a gentleman by the name of Magdalleno and he took me to a unit on the 4th floor of the Tower building. Magdalleno helped us move our luggage to the new room. We were very happy with the accommodations and the air conditioner worked great! Both Marcos and Magdalleno were gracious, friendly, and helped make our stay pleasurable.
Also, there were 4 pools open for our use. We chose to use the smaller, quieter pool most of the time. The area was always clean and neat. Tending to our beverage needs was Miguel from the main pool area and Chencho from the quiet pool area. Both gentleman catered to our every need. We never were without a drink in our hand. That made us very happy! On one day when I went to Sayulita by myself on the local bus($2.50 each way)...I asked Chencho to look out after my traveling partner as she preferred to stay in the quiet pool. When I returned my friend told me Chencho brought her drinks and even brought her something to eat for lunch. Bravo to him...and to Miguel for their courteous services!
For dinner, we had the buffet and the Italian restaurant. There was also a "themed" night which included dinner and a singing show. The Japanese restaurant was not open. Their was a variety of food during our visit and we were satisfied. I do want to mention, for my birthday dinner we went to the Vista Grill high on a hillside in Vallarta. The view is spectacular! The food was delicious. I highly recommend it for a special night out. The dress code is casual...shorts/shirt for men etc. and the mango martini's are great!
My friend went and had a massage at the Krystal and she was impressed with their service and honesty. When my friend overpaid for the service, the ladies called her back to tell her she overpaid! Kudos to Alvira and Victoria...you're service and honesty is admirable!
In closing, I would like to point out, the Krystal has been in operation for many years. Yes...renovations are needed and this will take time to accomplish. For the price we paid and the services we received, we were quite satisfied. We, being owners at The Grand Mayan, are use to certain levels of accomodations, and the Krystal did their best to meet our needs. What made the whole stay wonderful was the friendliness of the entire staff that met us. I can't name them all....but I would like to sincerely thank "all" of them for a wonderful stay. You "ALL" made my birthday extra special! The pic shows us at the Vista Grill on my birthday.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor with garden view and the air conditioner worked great! The room was always...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ruben C
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My best friend and I found what seemed to be a great deal on a travel website, so for my birthday we decided to book a vacation there. The stay was inexpensive because it was for a time share. We figured that if all we had to give up for an all inclusive vacation was 90 minutes of our time, it'd be worth it. Wrong! After staying at Sandals Carlyle in Montego Bay last summer, we realized that the Krystal's idea of all inclusive was way different of ours. The one thing we didn't have to pay for was food, but the selection was horrible. It was like the restaurant recycled the same food every day or day and a half. They also boasted of four different restaurants but only two were open our entire four night stay. One was always closed and the other wasn't even on the resort. The drinks were subpar. The service was okay at best. Everything recreational costed money. The most fun I had was jet skiing and that costed me $40. If you're looking for all inclusive fun, this is not the place to stay. The one plus was that we say a show for free called Rhythms of the Night. That was worth the trip. Great show! Excellent food! Awesome atmosphere! I recommend that in earnest! This is not to say I wouldn't go back to Puerto Vallerta, but I'd definitely stay someplace other than the Krystal.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank VincentF572
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Thankfully my husband and I only had to spend one day there. In short we had to move three times in order to find a room somewhat decent. The first one was so depressing and had a really funky smell, was very dark and old. The second one was a bit better, but the air conditioner didn't work, also very old and outdated. We had to complain again, for our trouble they offer us an upgrade, the room was better, newer, but never a 5 star room! It was more like 2 stars at best, the toilet seat was broken and the air conditioner worked too well, we were freezing in our room, it was impossible to change the temperature up. The only nice thing about it was that faced the ocean.

At first the resort seems very quaint, but at close inspection you can tell that it hasn't been kept in good shape, the beds are old, one of the mattresses in one of the rooms was very, very hard, the shower in one of the rooms was very slippery and dangerous to go in and out, etc.
Either this hotel has a total renovation with upgrades, or simply changes it's rating to 2 stars and charges accordingly, otherwise they are doing false advertising!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mariarivange
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I dont even know where to begin. The only thing nice about the place was the villa they put us in. And that only lasted til someone moved in beside us (noisy...really noisy).We went there to celebrate my birthday and had to leave the resort to do so. Only 1/2 the resort exists anymore as they sold half of it to Hilton. And they dont inform you of any of this.No swim up bar...actually they only have one bar and it closes at 11. The staff were rude and not helpful at all. The food was the same everyday and very bland. Absolutely no live entertainment in the whole 10 days we were there!! Of all the trips we have taken to Mexico, it was the worst!! I hate to say this but the Krystal resorts are off my list for future trips!! Bad!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple