“NOT A 5 STAR!!!!”

Ranked #56 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Hyde Park, New York
“NOT A 5 STAR!!!!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Thankfully my husband and I only had to spend one day there. In short we had to move three times in order to find a room somewhat decent. The first one was so depressing and had a really funky smell, was very dark and old. The second one was a bit better, but the air conditioner didn't work, also very old and outdated. We had to complain again, for our trouble they offer us an upgrade, the room was better, newer, but never a 5 star room! It was more like 2 stars at best, the toilet seat was broken and the air conditioner worked too well, we were freezing in our room, it was impossible to change the temperature up. The only nice thing about it was that faced the ocean.

At first the resort seems very quaint, but at close inspection you can tell that it hasn't been kept in good shape, the beds are old, one of the mattresses in one of the rooms was very, very hard, the shower in one of the rooms was very slippery and dangerous to go in and out, etc.
Either this hotel has a total renovation with upgrades, or simply changes it's rating to 2 stars and charges accordingly, otherwise they are doing false advertising!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mariarivange

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Fox Creek, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I dont even know where to begin. The only thing nice about the place was the villa they put us in. And that only lasted til someone moved in beside us (noisy...really noisy).We went there to celebrate my birthday and had to leave the resort to do so. Only 1/2 the resort exists anymore as they sold half of it to Hilton. And they dont inform you of any of this.No swim up bar...actually they only have one bar and it closes at 11. The staff were rude and not helpful at all. The food was the same everyday and very bland. Absolutely no live entertainment in the whole 10 days we were there!! Of all the trips we have taken to Mexico, it was the worst!! I hate to say this but the Krystal resorts are off my list for future trips!! Bad!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank deLEAHicious

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Vallarta hotels

Cora
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I booked my reservation in January of 2012 for the first week of June 2012. Upon arrival at the Krystal Hotel Puerto Vallarta I had an horrible experience. Checking is was easy and convenient. It went down hill from there. The room they gave me had aircondition problems. Back to the front desk. The greeter at the front dest Rosario M. tried to be very helpful. She immediately showed me another room. Same problem! After being shown another two rooms we findly found one where the A/C worked, but in was in the hotel portion of the resort. It looked liked an inner city housing complex. Not what I had envisioned as my vacation destination. After traveling all day and and trying to get a suitable room for another three and a half hours I settled for the housing complex not the time share villa I was an owner in, paid for and was promised. Trying to get settled into my vacation was pure hell. This situation happens time and again. I have to atribute this to poor maintenance. On the sign at the front desk it says that this is a five crown resort. In reallity it is more like a one crown ghetto. When I purchased my time share the resort was more than twice the size it is now. It is my belief that the resort will not be in exsistance in the next several years at the rate they are going.
I do have to say once I got settled and over my frustration I was able to enjoy the rest of my stay. If you go to this resort before you settle into your room make sure everything is in working order. Otherwise camp out at the front dest or demamd another hotel.

Room Tip: Check it out before settling in.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Joe S
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Not exactly a five star resort but there are many reasons that make this place quite excellent. Our villa had a private pool. That was wonderful! The beach right in front is great, and the pools are great as well. Friendly and helpful staff too. I found that the pictures on the official website do not do any justice for this place. My friends and I were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. It is a beautiful property.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lisa M
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The experience to go to this hotel was pretty nice, I did not imagine they could put a little of mexico in every room. All the pool areas are awesome and they have a privileged place near to the beach that everyone could definetly enjoy.
Waiters are not that nice, but all the rest of employees are OK.
The food was not good, despite of all the fresh fruit and juices

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ValeriaRodr
Fraser Lake, B.c.
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My husband and I went to Puerta Vallarta 4 times now, the last three times we stayed in the ssame hotel but we wanted to try something different. So we went againApril first Semana Santa...after searching for awhile we picked Krystal. Well, as soon as we got there they put us in a room with such a strong smell that it made my eyes water and nose run. I do have to say how ever that problem was solved very fast, that's thanks to Javier Service manager " Thank You, Javier" They put us in a room that was quite further away from the beach but no smell.
Our biggest complaints was the Entertainment, well that was very disappointing, there was none. The entertainment guy I think needed some lessons on how to get the crowd going. As for the restaurant service and pool area. We are good tippers but it didn't matter. I do understand it was very busy there but seen waiters just standing around. The food was ok.Breakfast was the best, thank you George for cooking for me every morning with a smile I might add, hard to find those around that week. Ala carte were ok but the service again terrible, they were too busy paying attention to the media crew that were there taking pictures.
I do have to thank the hotel people for what they did for my hubby when he got hurt. The attention was wonderful, but that hole in the bathroom should have a cover. His nose and black eyes heeled up well. It was too bad, it kinda ruined our vacation, but we tried to make the best of things.

Another thing was the grounds are beautiful but the swim up bar is gone, if you plan to stay up late at least to midnight forget it, the bar closes at 11 pm and that's it for drinks. I also found that we were west jet vacationers and wearing a black wristband ...I found and felt we were black listed...Time share people seamed to get all the good service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Portugal2010_10
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We upgraded to the oceanfront rooms, which was certainly the right choice. Run down the stairs and unto a beach chair next to the hot tubs. The balcony was really a joy. Walking the beach and enjoying the sun was sure easy with the very helpful staff. There was always food available and the service was exceptional as always in Mexico. They really know how to pamper their guests.

The buffet food was good for AI, and the ala cartes very good especially the sports bar by Xtine and the Japanese place.

I really loved having the front lobby and street far away from the beach and pool. The walk to the street was beautifully landscaped.

Room Tip: We sleep and change clothes in our room so rarely upgrade from the basic. Usually the oldest budgete...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jennytollie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#25 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#28 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,486 reviews
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Me...
#21 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Casa Dona Susana
Hotel Casa Dona Susana
#23 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa del Palmar Flamingos

Been to Krystal Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!