Casa Velas
$356
$301
Bookit.com
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$307
$184
  • Breakfast included
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$214
$197
$451
$193
  • Pool
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $218/night.

Velas Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$399
$286
  • Breakfast included
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$159
  • Pool
$372
$294
Priceline
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$358
$181
$138
Cancelon
1,709 results
All reviewsbeach clubplunge poolsister resortgrand class suiteemiliano restaurantshort shuttle ridemain resortboutique hotelour honeymoonshrimp burritovista vallartalobby barhotel poolan adults only resortall inclusive resortgourmet foodaqua bar
Reviewed March 8, 2011

The food was all cooked to order, no buffets, and everything was uniformly excellent. The wines were from everywhere from France to Australia. The liquors were all top shelf. I like a place that allows me to finish an evening with a Hennessey at no extra charge.

Close to the airport in the Marina, even when the temperature hit over 80, there was always a lovely breeze and plenty of shade to stay cool.

Service was friendly and efficient. Nobody under 18 allowed so no need to worry about rowdy teenagers. I ran into many newlyweds and was the only solo traveler I saw all week but I was looking for solitude and quiet with good food. Casa Velas came through with all of that and more.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Packer220
casavelasmanagement, General Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2011

Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have at home and share with you during your stay.

It's very kind of you to take a few minutes to share your experience, your comments encourage us to be better every day with our guests.

Antonio was an honor to share the games of golf with you.

Beny sends greetings was a pleasure to serve you in the lobby bar.
The reception staff is waiting again to give you a warm smile.

I hope again to enjoy the tranquility of Casa Velas offers a relaxed atmosphere surrounded by nature, golf courses, gourmet delights and our excellent international liquor bar.

Receive best regards from me and the entire staff of the hotel.

Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel
”YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME”

Reviewed March 6, 2011

As someone who reads the TripAdvisor reviews before booking, I wish I had paid more attention to the negative reviews. I assumed that since there were so many positive reviews, that the negative reviews were an aberration. However, there is a disturbing pattern of bad management that unfortunately hit us also.

For a place that otherwise has outstanding service, the reception staff at this hotel is woefully deficient. We booked an exchange for a week through RCI, and had a confirmation for a one-bedroom suite. The RCI page for this resort (which you reach from a link on the Casa Velas website) described that suite identically to a Grand Class suite on the Casa Velas website. Upon arrival, we were assigned a Master Suite Plus, a significant step down lacking the private immersion pool. When we pointed out the discrepancy, the reception staffperson argued that this room is what we were supposed to have. Upon further discussion, she offered to show us the only available Grand Class suite. It turned out to be the infamous room 511A (see review by acadia_mom dated Feb 22, 2010). We were not thrilled by its appearance, but we were considering it until we were told we would have to pay $40 a night more for it (despite the fact that we had been confirmed with this level of room).

We were then passed off to Felix, who was supposedly the reception manager. He said he would call RCI to confirm what we were promised. He then said that the RCI number was answered in Uruguay (!!) and that is was closed for the day. He said he would try again tomorrow, and we stayed in the Master Class suite we were given. We had already wasted a couple hours of our first day trying to get what we were promised.

The following morning we were approached by Stephano. He introduced himself as a concierge, and offered to book restaurant reservations and tours. He also offered to give us a time share presentation. He asked how we liked our room, and we explained the problem with the room not being as promised. He talked briefly to Felix, and said they were trying to reach RCI. We went off to the beach club for the day. We never heard anything further from Felix or Stephano. When Stephano realized we were not interested in his time share presentation or booking tours, he lost interest in us. We decided not to waste any more of our vacation chasing after another room.

I wish I could simply say to check to make sure what room you are supposed to get, but that will not do you any good. We knew what we were supposed to get, but never received it. Though we never got an explanation from the hotel, I believe what happened is that they were overbooked in the Grand Class rooms on the Sunday when we arrived. Since they do not receive the same revenue from an RCI exchange, they decided to stick us in this lesser room and give us the run-around with one lame story after another. They probably hoped they would wear us down and we would go away, and they were right. A vacation is too short to waste time complaining. But we will probably never go back.

2  Thank Jamesvh
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion and your travel experiences in this forum. We are concerned to hear that we have disappointed one of our guests and that we weren’t successful in addressing all your needs.

We would like to extend you and apology for the misunderstanding occurred with your room reservation. Your feedback is very important for us and it helps us to locate areas of improvement. Be assured that your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration and that we will revise our confirmation process and suite or unit descriptions with RCI.

One of Casa Velas uniqueness is our commitment with personalized service. We kindly ask you to feel free to contact me directly or my concierge staff (Jesus or Gabriela) to address and give prompt response to all your needs during your reservation process for your future visits. We assure you that we will take care of all your requests and RCI benefits such as golf tee times, restaurant and spa reservations, round trip transportation to the airport, preferences on your mini bar, accommodations and bed pillows.

We wish once again to extend our gratitude for your feedback and we would like to invite you to come back soon to your home away from home.

Regards,

Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel
”YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME”

Reviewed March 5, 2011

OVERALL: This is a very quiet resort, with nice rooms, mediocre food, good service (though not amazing, as indicated by others), close to the airport and with lots of space for the amount of guests.

CROWD/VIBE: This is a very quiet resort, almost like a library, you feel like you don't want to speak too loudly to not draw attention to yourself. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your taste. The overall age demographic seems to be a lot of people in their late 50's to early 60's, with a scattering of younger people (I'm 34), and even a group of people into their 70's. As someone in their 30's, you won't be the only ones but you will definitely be in the minority. This being said, there was also no one making a loud, drunk --- of themselves, so you take the good with the bad.

MAIN RESORT POOL: This is probably the best part about the resort. The main resort pool is heated (though not super warm, heated through solar hot water system). There is lots of room around the pool with plenty of comfortable loungers, cabana beds, and tables for hanging out. There is poolside drink and food service. I didn't know about the food service until the last day, and the menu is actually different which would be nice because there isn't much variety at the resort overall (see comments on food). There is a chest of popsicles you can get into whenever as well, and the staff occasionally brings by some kind of snacks (fruit skewers for instance). For those that like to have an option for a domestic beer poolside (includes myself), they do have Bud Light. There is also wifi at the pool, though keep in mind this is the only area basically with wireless coverage, it gets pretty dicey the further away from this area that you get.

ROOMS: This is the second best part of the resort in my opinion. We had the lowest grade room available, but were upgraded to the grand class suite plus (if memory serves). This room had both a jacuzzi and plunge pool, with outside patio. Inside was also a sitting area and alcove. The bed was comfortable, towels and linens were relatively soft. The room had an old school tube TV with satellite service. They do have pay per view service and about a half dozen english channels. Some of my channels didn't work or had no sound, but I figured it was a good reason to watch less TV, so I didn't bother complaining about it. The rooms do not have any type of iPod interface/stereo for playing music, so bring your own stuff if this is important to you. I think a TV and stereo update would be nice for the rooms, but other than that they're pretty nice. I included a bunch of pictures of our room as I thought this was one area that didn't have much info on this website, our room number was 510A.

FOOD: This was for me the most disppointing part of the resort. On other reviews here, people RAVE about the food. We live in a metro area, and go out to eat very often at nice restaurants. I'm not trying to be a snob, but when people say the food is some of the best they've had, i just wonder where they've been. Don't get me wrong, the food is entirely edible, and ranges generally from OK to a little better than that, but some is also bad. It is not great or excellent, just decent, and I really thought the food would be one of the highlights of our experience. In particular, I would pick in the sushi maki rolls and calimari at the Beach Club as being particulary bad, along with the steak, lamb, and mahi mahi sandwich at Emilianos. Desserts lack enough sweetness, lots of the food is too salty, and the quality of ingredients and overall execution is not great. Things that I thought were decent included the club sandwich (ate this 3X), chicken osobuco and red snapper at Emilianos, sweet breads with breakfast were also pretty good. The beach club food is OK, sushi rolls and calimari not withstanding. Food here compared in quality to other high-end AI, but certainly not in a class of it's own, and the lack of variety can lead to getting bored with the same food.

LOCATION/BEACH: Yup, this place is not on the beach. Yes, you do have access to the beach club. Depending on your own preference, I think it is more comfortable to spend the day at the resort based on the amount of space available and relative comfort. The beach at the beach club is certainly nothing special, it's pretty rocky, though you can walk a short distance either direction and the sand continues to the water. At the end of the day, I think the resort not being on the beach was not a big deal. You can also go to Velas Vallarta, which is located on the beach. Airplane noise was not an issue at all, you hear a plane maybe 2-3X per day, not enough to even matter. The proximity to the airport is actually awesome, you get there very quickly once you arrive and the trip back is about 3 minutes!

SPA: We included the all-inclusive spa option for our visit. If you are planning on getting a fair number of treatments it may be a good option to consider ($380pp per day, complete with room). Spa was closed from the fire a while back. I got some intel that the spa will likely not be up and running again for "about 2-3 months", so take that for what it's worth (might not be accurate, but what I was told). They are currently doing the spa services out of suite 601, which is a governer's suite (I think). It is kind of a funky temporary setup for the time being. The quality of the treatments were all top notch, though. I know my wife is a spa snob, and she was very happy with her treatments. She wanted me to pass along that Lupita is the best spa therapist ever! If they actually had a real spa, I think this part of the resort would be getting a strong recommendation from me. As it is, though you give us the amenities of the spa, the core treatments are still great.

SERVICE: Another thing that people rave about in this forum. I found the service to be very good overall, but just consistent with what I expect at nicer resorts. Service was still sometimes a bit on the slow side, but always done with a smile so that is OK. I'd say this part met my expectations but didn't blow me away.

BEACH CLUB: This is a nice option to have, but it is pretty small. The place itself is pretty nice, but the pool isn't heated and I'm a big baby in that regard. Pretty much from the pictures, what you see is what you get.

Reviewed March 4, 2011

I travel to Mexico yearly and I review the hotels, not the City or Mexico or anything else.

TL;DR ( summary version )
We wish we had stayed at Velas Vallarta because the food,service and people there were better by huge margins. We spent the last half of the trip there all day and only sleeping at Casa Velas because the service was terrible.

Hotel:
The hotel is beautiful and very well maintained. The check-in/out process and staff were first rate, absolutely exceptional.
Room:
The room was bigger and better than expected, although 'Jacuzzi' was explicitly mentioned in the reservation, there was no jacuzzi. The shower was very big and luxurious so I didn't mind, but you might mind.
Sleep:
There was a local conference next to our room for 3 days and the traffic to and from during the middle of the night was awful, after I realized I could not sleep, I went to the front desk at 2am and they gave me another room for the night. The next day the conference was gone, so they handled the problem well, although there would not have been a problem if the room doors adequately blocked sound and sealed properly. If you are a light sleeper, you may have similar problems.

The service:
We left this hotel every day for Velas Vallarta because the service at Casa Velas was terrible. (exceptions: the front door guys were awesome, Antonio, Eduardo and Felix.) The pool bar could not get food out in less than 45 minutes and drinks were hard to come by. I tried tipping big when ordering and tipping again after the first drink and I basically had to chase people down to get anything, as did most of the other guests, several of which left after giving up on getting service. The restaurant Emiliano was very very slow as well, and I left a separate review for them. (The service at Velas Vallarta down the street (part of the same resort) was exceptionally good, absolutely amazingly fast and friendly with extra touches everywhere, so I'm not being picky or impatient)

Other guests: (I wish someone had told me this)
If you're ok with your resort looking like a retirement community then you will fit right in. We're in our 30s, and I'm not talking about 40s or 50s here. I'm talking at the youngest, people were in their 60s. Mostly older than that though. And most guests here speak no Spanish (and refuse to) and the staff assumes that you want to speak English for everything. Maybe that's what some people want :)

Food:
Casa Velas has one restaurant and room service. Room service was very good and we enjoyed most meals very much. Breakfast at Emiliano's was also great every time. Dinner and lunch were very, very slow. It seemed that they were never prepared for the number of people present. Dinner was the worst, with poorly seasoned dishes that were either super-salty or bland. The other two restaurants at Velas Vallarta, Andrea and Ribera, were the complete opposite, excellent food, amazing service, great wine, over the top special attention to detail and staff that would speak English or Spanish or whatever you wanted.

FYI:
The gym and the spa are CLOSED for renovation. This info was not listed anywhere and we were surprised to find they had put some equipment outside next to the gym and moved the 'spa' to one of the rooms. The spa is absolutely tiny, crowded and inadequate, regardless of how great the regular spa is, whenever it opens, which is also unknown.

2  Thank intelno001
casavelasmanagement, General Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2011

Dear Guest:

I send you a cordial greeting on behalf of the entire Casa Velas team.

Please allow me to express that guest satisfaction is very important to us; our goal is to provide an atmosphere that is full of comfort and tranquility to people who seek a completely relaxing vacation experience. It is for this reason that our property has the attribute of being only for adults.

One of the great advantages of Casa Velas and Velas Vallarta is that you are able to enjoy the facilities of either resort during your vacation- just as you mentioned- it does not matter where you are staying.

Casa Velas is known as a peaceful oasis that combines service and hospitality recognized by Condé Nast and AAA with the pleasures of an intimate ambience. It creates the ideal romantic climate that invites you to enjoy the comforting sounds of nature as you relax in our private pool or dip into the pool and Jacuzzi at our Ocean Club. Restful nights can be enjoyed within our comfortable suites that feature original art and incomparable details.

If you would like to enjoy a day with the family on the beach, Velas Vallarta is the ideal option. It provides a lively atmosphere with music and various activities. Your palate will be delighted during visits to its different restaurants.

If, for your next visit, you decide to stay at Velas Vallarta, please do not hesitate to come to Casa Velas for a wonderful breakfast and enjoy the service, attention and tranquility that characterize us and make us unique.

At the Casa Velas Ocean Club, we await you to prepare delicious beverages accompanied by a freshly made ceviche; during the afternoon you will be able to participate in interesting activities such as wine and tequila tastings and culinary demonstrations.

For the evening, we recommend an amazing romantic dinner by the seashore, with a menu of gourmet international quality, and attentive personal service by our Executive Chef as he prepares you an exquisite Mayan coffee.

Noé from Suite Service will be ready to offer you excellent service in your suite, just as you deserve for honoring us with your presence.

At Casa Velas we are very concerned with details, and we invite you to choose from our excellent pillow menu and one of the massages or special treatments in our Spa, which we assure you will soon be completely remodeled and ready for use.

We truly appreciate the observations that you shared with us; comments such as yours encourage us to improve on a daily basis. We will be working diligently and in the mean time would like to invite you to visit us again and allow us the opportunity to meet your expectations.

It is important to us that you know that we await you with open arms, here at your home away from home, Casa Velas. We would love for you to enjoy the All Inclusive experience like never before, in a place where simple pleasures become part of what you most wish for.

Warmest Regards
Director General
"YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME “

Reviewed March 3, 2011

Whenever we get a chance to get away to Puerto Vallarta, the only place we stay any more is Casa Velas, we have stayed at many other resorts in PV, but Casa Velas takes such good care of us we can’t even think of staying somewhere else. Casa Velas has it all it has a very romantic atmosphere, wonderful charm, and most of all it’s the wonderful employee's that make Casa Velas a great place to go. The Manager Pierre Bonin really goes out of his way to make us feel welcome. Everything just keeps getting better and we have to give him the credit, every time we return to the hotel, it’s just better. I wrote a review earlier that was titled "If it gets any better than this I’ll be scared, well, I’m scared. Like i said things just get better and better, and we visit 4 or five times a year. They have a way of making you feel like family when your there, (nice family) I just love it there i want to go back now, and i was just there 2 weeks ago in Feb. So you want to know about the food, don’t get me started it is wonderful, The room service is Excellent, the way they arrange the food on the plate is picture perfect, and i always take photos, oh and don’t forget to try the Green juice in the morning, its pineapple juice, orange juice, spinach, celery, parsley, i make it at home now in the mornings, you will feel great after having this juice, i have 2 while I’m there each morning. Like i said the food gets better every time that we are there, they just hired a food manager to oversee everything, and let me tell you he is on top of it all, great choice Casa Velas.
The Rooms: We have been in almost all the rooms even the Presidential suite, any room that you get ( our favorite besides the Presidential suite , is The 2 story 2 bathroom places, but the Governor’s suite is great also. The beds are extremely comfortable, whatever room they give us, I know I will love it, and will be getting a great night sleep. The room has complementary snacks and refrigerator with complementary sodas juice and beer, which is restocked daily; they really know how to go out of their way to make you feel at home. There is always beautiful flowers or wine and or champagne, chocolate strawberries, always something nice waiting for us when we return.
Airport Pick up: The hotel will set it up for you to pick you up at the Airport, which is a very nice perk, i don’t know if it always happens, but they do have that service. Love it. The hotel itself is not on the beach but it is very close, they do have a beach club with free shuttle service that is on the beach with the same nice people that work there also, if you love sushi, that’s the place to go. We take turns lying at the pool at the hotel in the morning then go over to the beach club for to hang out; we don’t want to miss out on all the hotel has to offer. So the bottom line is, if you like to be spoiled, pampered, treated like a rock star, eat great meals, breakfast lunch and dinner, they have it all. I actually start craving to go there, once i start to think about Casa Velas. Well i guess I’ve gone on long enough, Thank you Casa Velas for all that you do to make every stay the Best stay, which stay at Casa Velas is the best, The Next one! Thanks to all our family there, Benny, Freddie, Hector, Oscar, Jesus, Moses, Bernardino, and All the wonderful Employees, We love you all, can’t wait to see you again, and hope to see you in April.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business