“Awesome Vacations!!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Awesome Vacations!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Our week spent in Puerta Vallarta's Casa Vellas resort was the most amazing vacation. We travel every summer and have never had a more relaxing, enjoyable week. From the moment we were greeted at the airport to the time we left to return home, we were surrounded by very accomodating, friendly staff, delicious food and drink, and very clean amenities. We could not have asked for more. The spa experience was also tremendous. Overall the best vacation in years!!!

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

This place was great. Peaceful environment in beautiful setting. The concierge Diana was an awesome host. They made us feel like we were the only guests that counted. Emiliano's restaurant's food looked and tasted like heaven. The fact that we had several choices of dining was good but what made it great was that all of the dining choices had excellent food. The liquor was top shelf. Even the spa was very serene. If you want to relax with your spouse in a beautiful setting where you are nearly catered to, this is the place. No kids are allowed! Thats right no screaming kids at the pool. We dined at the Casa Velas Beach Club quite a bit. It's at a separate location but the bellhops Jorge and Ruben (Big Boi) will take you there at any time. The ride is less than 5 mins away. Thanks you two! Even the room service restaurant was great. We ordered room service for breakfast every morning. I would definitely return.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, August 14, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be your host at your recent vacation. We highly appreciate that you had chose us as the perfect spot to relax and enjoy your valuable time among all the great resorts in Puerto Vallarta.

We consider that the staff is our best asset and by knowing that we full fill your expectations we are certain that our goal was reached. I shared your comments with Diana, Ruben and Jorge and they were very exited and grateful to know that you mentioned them in your review.

Thank you again for your priceless participation in this forum; and come back soon to your home away from home.

Best regards,

Pierre Yves Bonin
Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel Boutique
”YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We had a great 7 night stay at Casa Velas resort. The staff, food and accomadations were wonderful. We would definitely reccommend this hotel and we will be returning ourselves.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Plainfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

When I arrived at the hotel I didnt know really what to expect. I was overwhelmed with service. The hotel was excellent. I want to give special Kudos to Ruben (Baby Boy) and Jorge. They were pleasant to be around and very attentive. Thanks for a nice stay. I will be back...The staff took pampering to an another level.

North Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

My overall review - this is one of the most fabulous vacations we have ever had, and this is the FIRST place I've ever said that I will go back to!! I generally look for new places and experiences, but have all plans to be back here again and again.

Some background - my husband and I spent the last week of July here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We are in our early 30's, are fairly well travelled and stayed using an RCI timeshare that was gifted to us by my parents. We did have to pay the all inclusive fee - we pre-paid 4 days prior to our arrival and received 3% off the AI fee, a $100 spa credit, roundtrip transportation to the airport and one day trip per person. We were in a Grand Master Suite on the lower level in room 502. We left behind our two toddlers for our first parents only trip in a while and very specifically wanted peace, quiet and rest, with good meals and lots of drinks thrown in! I could not find enough information on this place, so I am writing a VERY long review with all of the details I would have wanted.

I had read every review I could get my hands on and went into this trip with my expectations sky high. My DH kept cautioning me not to get my hopes too high, but towards the middle of our trip, agreed with me that our expectations had been met and even exceeded. Some details:

Room - we were upgraded to a room that included a jetted tub in the bathroom, a plunge pool outside and additional space. The room was very large with a breakfast area, living room and sleeping area and a large bathroom. There was a large closet and armoire for storage as well as a large counter. The room included robes (male and female), slippers, a coffee maker and hair dryer (in the closet). There is a beach tote (great!!) to use while you are staying at the hotel; they sell them at the hotel store to take home. We also had a fruit bowl and bottle of wine - I don't know if those are standard. We had a large patio with wooden table and chairs, 2 sunbathing lounge chairs and a plunge pool overlooking the golf course.

Bathroom - The toilet, sink and tub are all in the same space. There is a lot of storage and counter space in here. Getting into and out of the whirlpool tub was difficult - still trying to figure out how to do that better! This part of the room is more "rustic" than the others but still very nice.

Housekeeping - Our room was serviced twice a day, once for overall cleaning and once for turn down service. Towels were replaced each time. I was super impressed with the housekeeping team - most days they were in our room 3 times - once to remove room service and the other two times described above.

Room Service - What a great "perk!" They delivered to the minute for every order that we placed the evening prior. Food was delicious and well prepared. They also delivered late night tea and snacks within 10 minutes of each order. It was SO nice to have round the clock food access, all included.

Beach Club - Transportation, as mentioned, is not an issue at all. Service here is just as great as at the hotel itself, the pool is great, sunbathing chairs and cabanas are great. Drinks are just as good and it's a pretty darn nice view. Hawkers were among the nicest I've encountered - a simple "no" and they left you alone. The only disappointment we had here was the food - we were unimpressed with both lunch and dinner. The sushi rice wasn't great; the fried items were overcooked and the dinners were over salted and relatively unexciting. We also didn't like dessert and saw another table send theirs back, so I don't think we were the only ones. Maybe the kitchen had an off week? We were told by an Emiliano's waiter later in the week that you can order off of their menu to have it delivered to the Beach Club - I'm not sure on the legitimacy of that. Chips, guacomole and salsa were also available here, although they weren't on the menu. Overall, service at the Beach Club was spectacular (see below for more).

Drinks - Alcohol is premium brands - if they don't know how to make a drink you ask for, they'll figure it out. Drinks are poured with a heavy hand and if you just ask for a drink and give them a little direction, they are more than happy to make something up for you. A couple near us asked for a "Pineapple Surprise" and were told that because it was low season, they'd have to order in pineapple. The next day, a shipment of pineapple and coconuts arrived and Freddy got to work creating pineapple and coconut surprises and they were delicious! I wish I had known how yummy the pineapple one was earlier in the week - I would have ordered it without the fancy pineapple head, just because it tasted so good. And, as my husband proved, between the 2 bars, the restaurant and room service, you can find a drink 24 hours a day.

Pool Food - We also really enjoyed the pool side menu - basic "Mexican" food that was really yummy and the salsa and guacamole were awesome. They also did a few off the menu items for us and other folks as requested - shrimp cocktail and a platter of grilled shrimp come to mind. Honestly, we ate pretty much the same food every day and enjoyed it 6 straight days!!

Emiliano's - The food was good and well presented. It is great for an all inclusive place, but it was not the highest level of food I've had. The two biggest issues we had were that everything was pretty salty and they put the same "gravy" on all of their red meats. But for the most part we were definitely satisfied every meal (love that there is a cheese plate every night!) and the service was fantastic! The atmosphere was also very nice - romantic, but not in an overly cheesy way. We were really happy with this restaurant, although we were ready for a change of pace after a few nights.

Mexican Fiesta - This is held once a week at the Velas Vallarta and Casa Velas guests get in free. Most of the staff recommended this activity - we emphatically do not. The hotel is a family hotel, and as such, the show is aimed at the younger kids, there is a pretty chaotic atmosphere, and honestly, the food wasn't that great. We really wished we'd stayed "home" for this night. We feel like we wasted a good meal at Emiliano's and I actually ordered room service because I was still hungry!!

Grand Velas - Casa Velas guests get one free meal at this property and transportation to dinner is provided. You have to pay for a taxi home - I think it was 160 pesos. It is about a 25 minute drive. We decided to go to Piaf, the french restaurant, on our last night, for a change of pace. This was, hands down, the best meal of the trip, and one of the best meals I have EVER had. The Chateaubriand for two was to die for and all I can say is GO eat there! We will definitely eat here again on every trip! The wine list was also better than Emiliano's - E's focuses on Mexican wines, which is kind of limiting, but Piaf's included French, Australian, Italian and Spanish wines as well.

Vow Renewal - I set this up as a surprise for my husband on our anniversary. I contacted the hotel a few weeks prior and they put me in contact with Incredible Weddings who arranged the officiant, flower and photographer (additional costs) for me. The hotel would handle the setup as well as a "private" dinner for us at the Beach Club. When we arrived, I found out that my contact was on vacation and we had to start from scratch. No worries - they took care of everything and it was amazing! The Beach Club staff set up a beautiful ceremony area for us on the beach - a cabana, a carpet, candlelight, torches and "sails" lining the walk way. The hotel radioed ahead when we were on our way, and they greeted us with my bouquet an escorted us right to the ceremony site. Following they had a nice champagne greeting set up for us on the balcony. I was so impressed - it was literally a bunch of male waiters who came up with a very romantic setup on their own! We then headed to a private dinner on the pool patio at the hotel. Again, the hotel was amazing - they moved a cabana over, brought in lighting (there is none in the area we were in) and it just looked gorgeous. We had a waiter who served us a 3 hour meal and the setting was spectacular. This story is the PERFECT excample of how Casa Velas goes above and beyond for their guests - they really made our anniversary special.

Weather - I probably didn't do enough research, but I didn't realize we were there during the "rainy" season, which lasts from July - November. We were worried when we first heard this, but it only affected one day of the trip, and even then it was over by noon. It rained every night, generally from about 10pm until about 9am the next morning. It stayed overcast some days, but was still very warm.

Atmosphere - this is one of the most tranquil places I have ever been. It's not that it's just quiet - it's that it's peaceful. But it is also very happy - I have NO idea how they accomplish it, but it's like a little slice of heaven in the middle of Puerto Vallarta. If you are looking for excitement, this isn't the place. This is where you go to catch up on reading, sleeping, eating, drinking and chatting with your significant other! One thing that surprised us - no one was up or about before 9:30 or 10 each morning. The Beach Club staff laughed at/with us when we arrived our first morning at 9am - they still hadn't even put the chairs out yet. So plan to take it easy in the morning and enjoy breakfast!

Service - I know I've said it, but it bears repeating, the staff here are second to none. It is obvious that they LOVE their jobs and as a result, they are very good at it. Any request is met with a "let me see what I can do" and it is generally met. I look forward to seeing them again, hopefully soon!

Airport transportation - I'm so glad I read this a few places, so I'm going to reiterate it here - if you get transportation from CV, they will send you a picture of your hostesses. They all wear the same outfit, and will have a sign with your name on it when you first get into the airport, before you pick up your luggage. After you claim your luggage, you have to go through two rooms of timeshare hawkers. They will tell you you "have to" sign something, will have signs with the same name - basically it feels like you a breaking the law if you walk through these two rooms without talking to someone. Do it!! Your hostess will be waiting on the other side of the craziness to put you in your car.

Sorry to be longwinded, but I hope someone is able to use the above info. I plan to put it to good use soon!!!

4 Thank Erika20
Dear Erika,

With great interest we read your comments about your recent visit to Casa Velas Hotel Boutique.

We appreciate your good opinion about our property and the meticulous review that resembles step by step an average stay at Casa Velas. Rest sure that all your comments have been taken in consideration and be positive that this analysis will encourage us all to keep up the good job and improve on the weak links.

Thank you once again for this wonderful review and we hope to have the honor to host your next anniversary.

Best regards,

Pierre Yves Bonin
Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel Boutique
”YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Originally I had my doubts about this hotel, but after my 1 week stay I was spoiled and wanted more. The grounds are impressive and very well maintained. The food was 5-star - impressive presentations and balanced flavors. The staff from reception, to bell staff, to waiters, to housekeeping, to shuttle drivers treated one with respect and strived to make your stay the best possible. I could have lived at the beach club, with its great food, wonderful amenities and attentive staff. This is a "classy" place in every sense of the word...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

HONEYMOONERS' BLISS
My fiance and I were married at a fabulous resort (The Wyndham Resort and Spa) in Cozumel, Mexico, and left immediately from there to the west coast of Mexico for our honeymoon. Since we were so pleased with our accomodations for the wedding, we were hoping that our stay for our honeymoon would be just as nice. We were BEYOND satisfied with the five days that we spent at Casa Velas with our room that had a gorgeous jacuzzi tub AND a private pool and patio outside. The rooms were very large and the beds were SO comfortable. Room service 24 hours a day was KEY, especially since we didn't arrive to the resort until after 11 at night. The service was what stood out to us the most. The staff truly treated you like royalty, especially the bartenders and servers that take care of you at the beach club. We were a bit concerned that it would be inconvenient to go back and forth from the beach to our resort, but this was not even the slightest bit of a problem since there were really nice shuttles to take you within minutes notice. We had the best massages we have ever had at the spa (the two ladies were FABULOUS) and a private dinner on the balcony of the beach club. The set up and service for this should be absolutely commended since they bent over backwards to make it extremely special despite the windy/ rainy weather. All of our food was amazing and top of the line. My husband and I even checked out the garden they have on the premise in which you can taste how fresh their ingredients are in every meal. Each night we tried something different and we were more than satisfied. This resort was so perfect for us since we just wanted to relax after the hustle and bustle of our wedding week, and we could not have been happier. Since we were already away from home for almost two weeks, we thought we would be ready to get back. However, since this place was sooo accomodating, we seriously considered trying to stay at least two more days. Bravo to all of the staff at this resort!

1 Thank StephanieReeve