WINNER WONDERLAND

Casa Velas
Ranked #2 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland
“Luxury experience in Puerto Vallarta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2010

This place is truly a gem. Luxury at every turn. Great facilities (beach house, pool, fitness center, spa, rooms, etc). Food is excellent. Don't bother going to the sister hotel for dinner even if you are tempted. Yoga class was fun and relaxing by the pool. We also had a cooking demonstration by the executive chef which was a true treat. On top of it all, he made us a special request dinner that night with a sampling of authentic mexican food favorites. Be sure to ask the front desk and concierge about special events at the resort each day because they aren't always advertised. Highly recommend to those who are typically weary of all-inclusives. This one is a good one.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank JBLuvTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

Our very positive experience at Casa Velas Boutique Hotel began at check-in. There is no counter; we sat in comfortable couches around the lobby's reflecting pool sipping a refreshing drink, and a staff member – Ana – brought us our paperwork to sign while the bellman gathered our luggage.

The very personable bellman/shuttle driver – Ruben – gave us a brief tour of the facilities and then showed us to our room which was on the third floor, overlooking the golf course. It was beautifully furnished and attractively decorated, with a plunge pool on the small balcony. All furnishings and decor were of excellent quality. The bathroom in our room had a single sink and a large walk-in shower. Curiously, the rather meager closet, which included a small safe, was also located in the bathroom. Laura, our housekeeper, kept our room spotless and (over) supplied with fresh towels and linens while treating us to a turn down service every evening.

The Casa Velas staff was extremely friendly and attentive. At the pool bar, both Freddy and Miguel kept guests supplied with refreshments. In the small lobby bar, Benny entertained patrons with not only his signature drink – the Benny Special – but also his very impressive wildlife impersonations. There are couches and a TV in the small bar area which is located off to one side of the lobby. Wifi reception was best in the lobby area.

The concierge services are second to none. Stefano made arrangements for any activity we desired, and Diana checked with us more than once to ensure our stay was pleasant while soliciting any input for possible improvements to the hotel’s services.

The one restaurant on site – Emiliano's – offers an excellent daily menu along with a very good wine list. The restaurant staff was very professional, friendly, attentive and helpful. Dinner reservations are required and easily accomplished by contacting any of the staff, and gentlemen are encouraged to wear slacks at dinner (although we observed this guideline was not followed regularly by certain guests). Room service is available at all times, and they even prepared sandwiches on short notice when we went for a private sunset sail on Banderas Bay. For additional variety, Andrea’s (Italian) and the La Ribera Steak House are located at the Velas Vallarta resort.

A well-equipped workout room overlooks the pool area and contains state-of-the-art exercise machines as well as free weights. The excellent spa offers all of the services expected in a resort of this type.

The hotel grounds are lush and fastidiously maintained. Peacocks roam the area, and a variety of colorful and quite vocal bird species abound. Koi ponds overlook the pool area which is surrounded by cushioned lounge chairs and curtained cabanas. Tall trees surrounding the property offer additional shade.

Casa Velas Boutique Hotel offers genteel environment, ideal for those who wish to get away from the noisy crowds, boisterous children, loud music and pool activities run by a resort’s activities team. And you won’t find guests who “reserve” prime poolside real estate by placing their towels and reading materials on the lounge chairs before going to breakfast. So don’t expect nightly activities and pool parties.

Rather, Casa Velas is a place to relax in peace relax and be pampered. Guests desiring more activities, additional choices in restaurants, or immediate beach access can always visit the large Velas Vallarta property located just across the golf course, a short walk or shuttle ride away.

Although the resort is not located on the beach, Casa Velas includes access to their private Beach Club which has a pool, both beach and pool cabanas, as well as a bar and small restaurant. Dinner reservations must be made in advance, and the same dinner dress code applies. As a bonus for golfers, the resort is on the Marina Vallarta Golf Club course, where we took advantage of the special golf offer that was included in our package (access to the mountain course is also available). And while Casa Velas is located quite close to the airport, the noise from departing aircraft was not overly intrusive.

The wonderful staff, superb dining, beautiful grounds, and relaxing environment made our 7 night stay at Casa Velas thoroughly enjoyable, and we definitely look forward to returning to this excellent resort.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dug42
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

My husband and I had the pleasure of not only getting married but also spending our honeymoon at Casa Velas this past November. We both wanted a destination wedding and I had previously visited Casa Velas and had a wonderful time. So I thought I could have a equally wonderful wedding there and I was right! The wedding coordinator Brenda Selma was extremely professional and patience. She help me find a florist; plan the menu; and pointed me in the right direction for a photographer. I came down a week early to finalize all the details and Brenda met me with a simile and helped to make my vision become a reality. From the welcome dinner to the actual ceremony everything was beyond my expectation. The hotel staff: Maurico; Ivan; Jorge; Angel; Reuben; Evelina; Monica; Alejandro; and Benny just to name a few took care of us as if we were the only persons in the hotel. Which was quite remarkable considering they were at full capacity most of our stay and had a high profile event as well as another wedding at the same time as my wedding! All my guests left extremely satisfied. My husband and I cannot wait to go back! If you are looking for a great spot for a destination wedding please look no further. They will help you plan and execute everything you need or could want for your special day!!

• Stayed November 2009
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

Just back from 7 nights - purpose solely for relaxation and a romantic getaway. I find it helpful when I read reviews to get a sense of the taste and experience of the traveller writing it, so here's my background: 20 years in travel industry, 13 years in incentive travel, so I've been fortunate to stay in many lovely hotels. Because I recommend destinations/properties to businesses who take their top performers on a reward trip I have to be fussy, so here goes....

This is a great boutique hotel and it is obvious that they have high standards for their front line staff. Those smiles are genuine and the effort to please is top notch. Not one request was denied although our needs were not overly demanding this time! I was absolutely blown away when Diana (concierge) came out to the pool deck each day we were there to ask each and every guest if there was any problems or if she could make reservations for us.

It should be noted that it is not as clear as it could be on the website that this property has 2 parts... the hotel is surrounded on 3 sides by the golf course and there is a separate beach club a few minutes away by shuttle or a 10 - 15 min walk. At first I wondered if this would be an issue but it wasn't... every time we wanted a shuttle it was available either immediately or within a couple of minutes.

The Velas Vallarta is between the Beach Club and Casa Velas and it is available for Casa guests. We went there once for the Mexican Fiesta show. The show provided a good laugh but I didn't like the food selection or taste. We didn't use any other facilities there because we really enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and personalized service at the hotel and beach club.

The Beach Club has a bar, dining area, lounge chairs, a small pool and 2 whirlpools (which aren't really whirlpools and are the same temperature as the pool). The service is excellent and because of the size, it is very intimate with the feeling of exclusivity.

The food at Emiliano's is superb and only a la carte. There are theme nights which changes things up a bit. We never got bored of the menu (well, maybe our decision to have steak nearly every day... but even then it was a choice of rib eye, tenderloin, New York etc.)

The menu at the Beach Club was tough for me due to a seafood allergy BUT they went out of their way to accommodate me by letting me choose off Emiliano's menu at lunch time so that they could send the ingredients over and cook it for me for dinner (talk about service!).

We also ate dinner on the Italian night at Andrea's which was acceptable but not in the same category as Emilianos.

We also went to Grand Velas to the French restaurant which was also fabulous (this is not typically included but because of shoulder season and, I suspect, my business it was offered and the chateaubriand and souffle was delightful).

The resort itself is very quiet. Families with teenagers over 15 are welcome (although if you have active teens you'd be better off elsewhere), as are adult friends (what I'm attempting to say is that this adults-only property it's not just for couples). If you are looking for activities at the pool and evening entertainment and don't want to head over to the Velas Vallarta don't stay here. However, if you would rather lounge by the pool with Fredy and Omar and (oh, I forget her name... Olivia maybe) coming by every few minutes to offer drinks, refresh your water bottles and bring you food then you'll love this personalized service! If you like dining in a refined atmosphere with a pianist or vocalist then you'll love it. Evenings seemed to end early and I think we managed to stay "up" past midnight only once!

Some improvements that I suggested (which was followed up by a thank you email the next day) included small things like putting both names on the "newspaper" (i.e. Mr and Mrs) when announcing couples on an anniversary or honeymoon (we had a good laugh because it appeared that I was there alone on my anniversary and another fellow was alone on his honeymoon because they only included one name); turning down both sides of the bed with water, chocolate, slippers and robe instead of only one side or one bed; offering floats for the pool and putting felt under the chair legs in the rooms because the noise carries.

Speaking of noise, this was the only real annoyance we had. We changed rooms from 2nd floor to 3rd floor because when the guests above flushed their toilet or moved the chairs (presumably for in-room breakfast) it was so loud it woke us up. (We live in a very quiet community, so any noise anywhere is an issue for me). The problem with the toilet noise was eased by moving to the 3rd floor BUT the chairs were still a problem. We could also hear everything that was happening when guests had their breakfast (at 7:30 each day!). The clink of coffee cups on saucers seemed to amplify through the room as did their voices.

Our first room had a large closet, huge bathroom with double sinks, soaker tub, shower and separate WC although it did not have a patio or plunge pool. When we switched rooms we basically traded the bigger closet and bathroom for a patio and plunge pool. I think that the trade was worth it, although I did recommend finding a spot in the room to put an armoire or a wardrobe (I know fussy, fussy :)

I was worried about hearing planes fly overhead each night but it wasn't an issue. They are building a new meeting room on property (detached and due to be finished in November), so construction noise for the units near the site may be something to consider (we didn't hear any complaints ourselves).

With respect to the spa... we booked a couples massage, which was accommodated by a massage on the beach. It was not the experience we were expecting with people walking by and planes flying overhead every couple of minutes. We then had massages with our bathing suits on, so instead of having a nice quiet massage for 2, it was quite the opposite. There was also a communication breakdown because when I asked if we could use the spa facilities we were told to just meet at the Beach Club. If you want a couples massage I suggest to skip it and have 2 separate massages. Apparently, there are plans to build a common area for couples massages and relaxation at Casa and that would be a great bonus.

The timeshare sales people didn't even speak to us, well except when I asked a question, which was very welcome. If you are interested, approach them instead.

Overall, not too much to complain about and we would definitely go back, which really does say a lot! Many repeat guests were at the resort and they were not all timeshare owners.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IDICarol
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

We traveled with our one year old grandchild and their parents. Velas made us feel we were all part of their family.
The accommodations were very comfortable and well kept. The two restaurants had exceptional food and a daily menu change.
We'll go back as often as we can!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, April 30, 2010
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comments, as General Manager of Casa Velas I’m very pleased to hear that we accomplished one of the most important missions of Grupo Velas which is make our guests feel at home and part of the family.

In the name of Grupo Velas, I would like to thank you for your words and invite you to experience Casa Velas, your home away from home during your next visit.

Managing Director Casa Velas Hotel Boutique
Eureka, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

We spend a week in casa velas, we been around, we been in very good places, so as really bad ones, but the show us the light, this is vacations, since you arrive, you can feel the warmth, all the staff is eager to serve you.
After the first day in the pool, when we where going down the ramp, they spotted us and began preparing our favorite drink. Benny from the Lobby he is the coolest person to be around, he has a whole zoo of sounds he can make, very imaginative guy. There was something else over the lobby bar I really enjoyed, was the tequila tasting, very knowledgeable person the one in charge, Alan is his name, unfortunately he is hard to find, you never know where he we'll be working every day. Emiliano’s is very good, maybe the manager over Emiliano’s could smile a bit more, which was not a problem having Bernardino as your waiter. We were so relaxed at the beach club or the pool bar that we didn’t care for the spa, but I heard excellent comments from other guest.
It was a unforgettable experience, and for sure we will be back.

We love you CV.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, April 28, 2010
Dear guest:

As General Manager of Casa Velas Hotel Boutique I really want to thank you for taking the time of sharing your comments at Trip Advisor and for giving us the opportunity of being your host in your holidays.

So many guests had found this kind of reviews very helpful and have decided to give us a chance to make them feel at home and share with them the true meaning of leisure.

We hope to see you soon in your home away from home in a near feature so you can enjoy gorgeous sunsets with your favorite drink at the pool bar, taste the new selection of fine tequilas that Alan is preparing for the tastings and I’m sure that Benny will have new sounds for your next visit.

Once again thank you for sharing your memories and experiences and we look forward to your next visit to exceed your expectations.

Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel Boutique
Missoula, MT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

My husband and I so enjoyed staying at the Casa Velas for our honeymoon. The food and service were great! There is no better place to relax! The grounds are beautiful.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:
As General Manager of Casa Velas Hotel Boutique I really want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to be your host during your honeymoon.

We hope to see you soon in your home away from home for your first anniversary or maybe for a romantic weekend getaway.

Once again thank you for sharing your memories and experiences in this forum, we look forward to your next visit to exceed your expectations and pamper you as your deserve it.

Managing Director