“Tranquil with lovely gardens but could have better service”
Review of Casa Velas

Ranked #2 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Yorkshire UK
“Tranquil with lovely gardens but could have better service”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here for a week in March with my daughter
When we first arrived we were allocated a really dated suite, it was sub standard, the bath was cracked, the furniture old and only one bed ( I had requested 2 beds). After much protesting and threatening to leave, we were allocated a room similar to the ones shown on the web site.
This room was comfortable with a good en-suite shower room.
The service in general at the restaurant and the pool bar was very slow. Service at breakfast tended to be better than at dinner.
I think this has a lot to do with it being all inclusive, they have your money so it is not in their interest to provide quick service
All of the staff are pleasant.
The pool area is very nice with plenty of loungers.
The beach club is also lovely, the service here was much better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank appleacre
casavelasmanagement, Public Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to express your experience here at Casa Velas. We appreciate and take into consideration all of our guest comments and from now on we will make sure to double check a room before assigning it to a guest. As for the food quality, we have recently changed our menu to include more options and variety for our guests. We hope you will visit us once again and experience Casa Velas, your home away from home.

T:+52 (322) 226 6680 Ext.6650
T:DIR +52 (322) 226 6691

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed April 3, 2013

If you're looking for a quiet getaway and like to sit down for a nice meal, then Casa Velas would be a good choice for you. The entire staff was amazing, especially Beny up in the lobby bar. They were very friendly and helpful when needed. As for me, I am more into the party atmosphere, so this is definitely NOT the place to go. There are 3 total bars on the property, and one of them is at their beach property, which you would take a shuttle to go to. The pool bar is only open 11:00-6:00, and their lobby bar is only open until midnight. Also, there are only 2 places to eat, of which most of the time is a sit down to eat meal. The food was ok, but not outstanding, and they are more concerned with presentation of the food than portion size. Personally, I prefer a buffet, so I can get in and get out. It was also quite expensive for what I was hoping. Their sister property-Velas Vallarta is a much more appealing property, with more people around and a much larger pool and outdoor area right on the beach.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JohnZ496
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to express your experience in casa velas, your comments are very helpful to the hotel and they will be taken into consideration and hope to be highly effective and maybe on the near future you can visit again and enjoy our facilities please feel free to contact me if you need any assistance in your next visit.

T: +52 (322) 226 6691
Marshalltown
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from Casa Velas. First of all let me say that the staff remains the shining stars of this resort/hotel. Staff continues to go out of their way to make your stay all that it can be. I only wish I could say the same about the management.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon. Check-in was swift and efficient as always, even though the hotel/resort was fully booked, due to two destination weddings being held at CV that weekend.

My husband I feel that the management was totally unprepared for having a full hotel/resort which led to many disappointments during our stay. To name a few:
• Buffet breakfast on Saturday and Sunday morning.
• Guests taking over the main pool sound system and playing loud music that may have appealed to their tastes, but not to others.
• Chair bagging around the main pool. The staff was running around trying to summon up enough chairs/loungers for guests to use.
• Screaming and hollering in the hallways at all hours of the day and night.
• We were told that children would not be allowed at the beach club. One day two children showed up at the beach club with their parents. After questioning the staff, it appeared that because of who the parents were, they were making an exception.
• Because of the weddings, the beach club was closed on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon/evening. As this is my husband and my favorite place to be when staying at Casa Velas, it always is a disappointment when we can not use facilities that we have “paid” to use during our week stay.
• The menu at Emiliano’s has been extremely pared down. If you are staying for more than a week, it would be difficult to not get bored with the dinner offerings.

Even though there were disappointments during this trip, there were also many good things that happened as well. To name a few:
• The Beach Club, with the exception of Friday and Saturday night, was open for dinner every night that we were there. Again, the menu has been extremely pared down, but the staff and sunset/ocean views make up for the lack of food choices. The choices that they do have are delicious and the chef at the Beach Club is simply awesome. The servers, Rangel, Ramon, Juan Carlos, are excellent at what they do and constantly go above and beyond. It is because of staff like these 3 guys, that we are considering our 4th trip to CV.
• We spent most of our days at the Beach Club. Lunch was always delicious and served with a smile. Drinks were strong and plentiful. Again, the beach club staff, Rangel, Jorge, Ramon, and Juan Carlos do a truly exceptional job of keeping the guests happy.
• Our room was spotless. We have requested and received the same room the past 3 years. We highly recommend a room with a Jacuzzi tub on the patio/terrace.
• Benny continues to serve evening drinks on the terrace with a smile on his face at all times! However, his hours have obviously been cut as although resort information states that the terrace bar is open at 4.00pm, Benny did not start on any afternoon until 5.00pm!!
• Cruz and Edgar and were great each morning as they served breakfast at Emiliano’s on the days it was not a buffet.
• Bernadino, Jorge, & Daniel were awesome evening waiters at Emiliano’s. What food we ate there for dinner was delicious—just wish there were more choices as some of my favorite dishes are no longer on the menu. We especially loved the Mexican coffee one night!
• The spa---what a delight! Emma, Veronica and Selma all provided exceptional customer service and wonderfully relaxing treatments.
• The resort, as always, is exceptionally clean. The staff works so hard at keeping CV beautiful.
• Airport transfers to and from the resort were quick and efficient.

There were children staying at the resort, but were fairly unobtrusive. There were adult guests who caused more issues than any child could ever do! However, my husband and I wish that the CV management will change this hotel back to "adults only" as the idea of “adults only” is what drew us to CV in the first place. Hopefully then we will have reason to continue calling Casa Velas our “Home away from Home”.

6 Thank krileyadams
Dear Guest,

Casa velas appreciates the time you have taken to give us your opinion and observations, I would like to officially confirm that we are an all adults resort once again, Mainly and taking in consideration all of our guest comments in order to improve guest satisfaction. As for the service provided in our swimming facilities and restaurants we are compromised to take action and improvement. We invite you to return, This resort will always pampered our guest and work on exceeding expectations; this will always be your home away from home.

T: +52 (322) 226 6691
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Lets get the negative out of the way right off the bat.
We checked in and the package that my traveling companion booked through RCI had been replaced with one twice the $$. My friend did not want to make this a stressful moment for us, so she just signed and we began our trip, but I have to say the check in process was less than ideal. They should have looked at her confirmation, called the travel group and sorted it out later once we checked in, but they made us sit and wait for over 45 minutes. No bueno.
ANYWAY... on to the trip.
Casa Velas is a three minute private, always available shuttle ride from the beach club, which is where we spent almost the whole trip - with one of the nicest staff's and best eternity pool. The people we met there, the service we got from the staff, the view, the cleanliness, the willingness to meet our every request with a smile - Wow.
The guests we had experiences were all first rate, respectful, interesting people.
The constant attentions from Jorge, Daniel, Jose and the lovely hostesses at the hotel restaurant Emilliano's, were enough to right any of the front desks rather stiff reception (a theme in that area which persisted the rest of the trip there by the way).
For the most part we just rellllllaaaaxed, and let the cares of the day drift away.
We visited the larger property by the beach, which was quite nice, just much louder than I prefer.
ALl inclusive, even at the rate we paid - well we could not eat and drink enough to make that even out I don't think, really - but the luxury feel of everything was enough to make me not worry. Top shelf this, a little extra that, another smile, another gracious hand helping me from the shuttle ... excellent.
Another nice note, our safe was broken twice, (the computer chip inside was malfunctioning) and to make sure we felt safe leaving our valuables there the maintenance guys were there in a flash and replaced it for us with no fuss.
Special people:
Jorge
Rosy
Rahel
Daniel
Jose
Hostesses
Other guests
Pedro the wonderful peacock who visits at every meal
Fred, my favorite little turtle in the fountain pond out front

I WILL return.

Room Tip: We chose a double queen room facing the golf course with a dip pool. 105 I believe. It was nice. And...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank seattlen
Caledon
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Casa Velas has changed - the service and food in the restaurant has deteriorated. The service is very slow and the restaurant staff seems disinterested. The pool and Beach Club are still excellent but overall things have changed since my visit last year.

Highlights are Beny's smiling face and the resident peacocks.

Room Tip: Master suite which gives you your own small pool for relaxation. Definitely worth the extra money.
10 Thank nayrita
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed March 17, 2013

You are greeted by staff upon arrival; we had Jorge. He was very nice. You are served Cold Tea, which was refreshing, and given a cold wash cloth. Check-in seemed to have gone pretty quickly. I will say, I LOVE the smell/scent in the lobby.
Staff that deserves mentioning: Beny, Bernardino, Jorge, & Mauro are some to share.
Our room was nice; it was on the 2nd floor. We had a jacuzzi pool on our deck overlooking the golf course. That was nice. Our room location was quiet-in the 500's wing of the hotel. The bathroom in our room definitely needed some minor cosmetic maintenance otherwise it was a spacious sized room. I loved how manicured all the trees, flowers, and plants were.
I loved the exotic flowers placed throughout the facility in places you wouldn't think they'd put it and add a nice touch!
I think that this hotel should have at least 1 other restaurant. So, there is only one restaurant that serves breakfast lunch and dinner. There is the swim up bar/snack bar as well.
To the left of the Emiliano restaurant is a path that has different exotic plants/flowers. A quick stroll to check it out at least once.
The property overlooks the golf course.
The Spa is extremely small with only 3 treatment rooms. And the steam room/sauna is a 1 person area and you need an appointment to use it. I had a facial and a therapeutic body massage. Both very good!
The gym is connected with the spa and is on the 1st floor. Nice size; very clean.
I think with this time of year it was very quite-almost too quite and were a lot of seniors here; even considering it's Spring Break. (We are in our 30's).
I feel that an area for improvement is timeliness and organizations between waiters and housekeeping. Things just took forever-I know one is on vacation, but, time is important.
Tipping from my husband and I's observation was not the norm, however, we tipped $40-50 pesos for drinks/meals.
I highly recommend trying the guacamole and salsa with each lunch/dinner meals. It is SO worth it!! On the dinner menu, I highly recommend the shrimp w/ beans and pork-- it was Delish! Had this the first dinner here. In general everything we've tasted is good. One area in the restaurant they need major improvements on is their desserts. Horrible except for a corn-cake that is good. Their baked breads, sweet rolls are good though (breakfast).
I recommend Velas Vallarta (sister hotel) while staying in Puerto Vallarta... by checking out their pool and dining. The poolside restaurant is actually good; minus again the desserts I tried almost every single one and are not worth more than 1 bite-ful. They have the BEST salsa with the guacamole --slightly different from Casa Velas. I highly recommend the Chicken Fajita's! Very tasty. Got this twice already!
All in all it's a decent place if you want quite, quaint, boutique-y hotel. People are nice. Weather is nice. No bugs.

Room Tip: Second floor in the 500's wing with the jacuzi in patio.
6 Thank Italian80
Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Firstly we want to say, without reservation, that we love the staff. We love the food. We love the two locations.

We hate the way management is changing the formula that brought us back four times.

Casa Velos is no longer a "boutique" hotel..........children are now welcomed, buffet meals are a regular feature, the beach club is only open when someone"(?) decides that day that it should be open, and drunken destination wedding guests are allowed to take over the pools and party until 2.00am.

A new Marketing/Planning Dept is needed to help Management determine which part of the vacationer market they are aiming for. At the moment they alienanting almost everyone, most certainly regulars who want a return to the peaceful setting that made it so appealing in the first place.

We are really sad that we have to write such a negative review but we blame Management entirely. We can only hope that comments like this will bring about changes.

Room Tip: Do not go if a wedding is scheduled during your stay.
8 Thank DavidRB70
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest

We really appreciate the time taken to express your opinion and observations, please be assured that your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration and acted upon in order for us to improve our facilities and services.

I deeply regret the inconveniences found during your stay, I would like to comment that in addition to Emiliano restaurant with an international cuisine, our restaurant at the beach club and suite service 24 hrs. All our Casa Velas Guests have access to Velas Vallarta our sister property where you will find two more restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner with menus that changes every night (Italian, Mexican, French, Oriental, Spanish and steak house night) our Casa Velas Hotel Boutique has always been polished to offer a concept of gourmet luxury hospitality by excellence and distinguished location where human warmth and our passion for service to ensure total satisfaction of our guests.

We’ll always be willing to welcome you, and hopefully you give us the opportunity again to have you in a near future at Casa Velas Hotel Boutique and treat you with the excellence that you deserve.

Receive warm greetings from Casa Velas!

ANGEL GARCIA V.
T: +52 (322) 226 6686
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Mousai
Hotel Mousai
#4 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#14 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vall...
#15 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Velas Vallarta
Velas Vallarta
#5 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#8 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!