“Heaven on earth! :)”
Review of Casa Velas

Ranked #2 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Our Casa Velas experience was magnificent from the beginning! We were greeted by lovely Carolina, who was a true gem to us during all of our stay. Our room was fabulous, the food there is fabulous. Impressive wine list, as well as cocktail list. Our stay there was one of the most relaxing holidays we have had for a long time. You really felt being taken care of there. Their SPA services were also great. I usually allow myself one body care when staying in a place with SPA, but there I decided to have two, because the first one was so good. Even managed to convince my husband to have a massage and he also agreed it was good. I had two massages with the masseuse Virginia (highly recommended!). During the stay my husband caught a bad cold (it probably followed us already from home, where he felt sick few days before our holiday) and so I went to reception and asked about possible doctor services. Again it was Carolina to the rescue, who called a doctor for us and the staff later helped us with the pharmacy as well. Staff overall is very good there and remembers people well, for example when leaving Carolina remembered and asked my husband whether he feels better now etc. She also helped us with booking bus tickets etc. These kind of small things matter a lot when travelling far away from home. If there is something to complain about, then it is maybe lack of Free Wifi, but maybe it is better not to have constant access to emails during your holiday :) Our overall experience at Casa Velas Boutique Hotel was magnificent and we could not have asked for a better place to have a holiday! Very highly recommended!!!

3  Thank Sirlious
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for expressing your opinion about your stay with us at Casa Velas Hotel Boutique and thank you for that gorgeous 5 star review. We truly appreciate your high remarks. It is wonderful to know that we continue to meet our goal in exceeding your expectations.

We are so grateful for considering Casa Velas as your favorite destination. Thanks for your positive comments on our service and colorful grounds.

Our commitment is to meet and exceed your expectations and special requirements to make of your stay your best “VACATION” ever.

Receive a warm greeting from Casa Velas.

ANGEL GARCIA V.
Chief Concierge
T: +52 (322) 226 6686
E: concierge@hotelcasavelas.com

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was our third year and probably our last. My previous reviews have been outstanding. This is a gem of a place although management is attempting to destroy it! The decision to change this from adult's only to families and the cost-cutting measures we experienced changes everything.
CHILDREN:
This hotel is too small and has too many danger areas for children. I do not want to be here when a child is found face down in one of the many koi ponds or plunge pools on the property. The noise of even one child in this intimate atmosphere and beach club cannot work. There is nothing here for families. The Velas company has inflicted upon itself a public relations nightmare. All the guests I spoke with were livid. Those who had been sold an adult's only timeshare only to have it changed to include children feel they are the recipients of the classic bait and switch. Why would anyone want to buy a timeshare from this company now knowing their business practices. Even if this decision is rescinded in the future the damage is done. This decision was myopic and destroyed your loyal customer base.
COST-CUTTING
There is a new manager, new chef and key staff have left. The previous manager was always visible and discretely ensuring your needs were met. I never did see the new manager although I asked to speak with him. Cuisine is gone, replaced with good well prepared food. The beach club is not open for breakfast and dinner is served only on two nights. The same menu for breakfast lunch and dinner at Emiliano's becomes boring for a one week stay. Afternoon tea is gone and the separate spa menu has gone as have speciality nights at Emiliano 's. The all inclusive wine list is limited and and not interesting(not even a malbec).
ROOMS:
The hotel rooms have been renovated the timeshare rooms have not, therefore, reviews will differ.
The bathrooms in the timeshares are long overdue for a renovation. This hotel is old and rooms are quirky this is the charm,however,maintenance and room appointments are sadly lacking. I experienced the following: entire bathroom floor flooded after taking a bath, leaking toilet, clothes hook on back of bathroom door fell off. Only two small drawers for clothes storage, no bedside storage. Room safe placed so high it was difficult to use. The dirty irrigation water from the flower beds in the unit above drained into my plunge pool. This is not an expensive fix. It requires some flexible pipe draining onto the grass.
PRICE POINT
As an RCI exchange guest the price point (all inclusive fee plus exchange fee plus maintenance fee) can no longer be justified. I do hope this review helps management to reevaluate and please don't spend the energy trying to hide this review with blasts of positive reviews. This place needs professional marketing to the right demographic and ethical business practices. I hope you succeed as you have wonderful hard working staff. I wish you success.

13  Thank bibliognostic

Dear Guest

We thank you for staying with us recently for a third time and for sharing your review. I deeply regret the inconveniences found during your stay; please accept our sincere apology that we were unable to satisfy all your needs, as mentioned our beach club its open twice a week for dinner and from 10:00 to 6:00 pm every other day, offering Asian cuisine with sushi as a specialty. All our Casa Velas Guests have access to Velas Vallarta our sister property where you will find two more restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner with menus that changes every night (Italian, Mexican, French, Oriental, Spanish and steak house night) this in compliment to Emiliano restaurant with an international cuisine and suite service 24 hrs. We’ll keep striving to offer a concept of gourmet luxury hospitality by excellence and distinguished location where human warmth and our passion for service to ensure total satisfaction of our guests

Once again thank you for your observations and feedback, We’ll always be willing to welcome you, and hopefully you give us the opportunity again to have you in a near future at Casa Velas Hotel Boutique or at anyone of our different Velas Resorts properties and treat you with the excellence that you deserve.

Receive warm greetings from Casa Velas!

ANGEL GARCIA V.
Chief Concierge
T: +52 (322) 226 6686
E: concierge@hotelcasavelas.com

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was our 3rd -2 week stay and no we are not owners. The last stay was Jan. 2009 and I wrote a review then as well. We normally do not repeat a resort as there are so many out there- but this resort? Simply heaven.
I wonder how many people stop to smell the waterlilies first thing in the morning? If you pause by one of the ponds you will breath in the wonderful scent and you will hear the soothing sounds of the small waterfalls.I think we all tend to hurry and bustle, but this hotel encourages you to be more laid back with their choice of music and the quiet unassuming service. If you want to ramp it up a bit you can always go over to Velas Vallarta or hear the wonderful roar as the waves pound on the shore at the Beach Club.
To get the elephant out of the room yes there were children there each week (around 7/8 in age), one each week. Quiet well behaved children and yes they were at the Beach Club. Did they disturb anyone...absolutely not. There was nothing for them to do and to be honest I cannot see it being an issue. I felt a little sorry for them to be honest. Sounds of stringed instruments gently playing is kind of boring to children-plus lots of "older folks" lying around and no "action". End of story- no problem.
We quite enjoy having the option of using 4 restaurants.When you are getting closer to arrival make sure to find out what day the Beach Club will be open for dinner.(e mail the concierge). One week it was only open one night then the next week 3 nights.I guess it depends on the number of people at the resort. Make your reservation for 6:30 but go around 6:15 to have a drink and watch as the sun sets. It was once again very magical. The food was delicious.
During the day at the Beach Club the service was excellent. Replacement of warm water, and meals served in your "bed at the pool" if you so desired. Many many thanks to a great server Rengal- who made our vacation extra special.His English skills are excellent and I can see this young man moving up the chain of command.
The grounds continue to be outstanding. Staff are constantly cutting, trimming, painting, repairing to keep this resort in top notch condition. It is a pleasure to see that so many of the staff who clean windows and do the grounds work stay with the job year after year.
We were quickly aware of the beauty of the girls that work at the hotel. Starting with the young lady at the gate -that bows to you with her hand over her heart- to the incredible beauty of Claudia and Karolina at the front desk.Their warmth, their sincerity won our hearts. Casa Velas should be very proud to have such staff on their "front lines".
We arrived to huge hugs from Jorge and Alejandro. These are the staff that will "ferry" you to the Beach Club or Velas Vallarta and also show you to your room. Jorge in particular made us feel so welcome due to our returning. He provided excellent knowledge and tips as to what to do and what to see.
The linens on the bed were of high quality and felt excellent as usual. The turn down service is another plus.The bed and pillows were so comfortable. There is also a pillow menu for you. Another plus is that I didn't need to bring my salon shampoo (and next time I won't). They provide L'Occitane products from France which were of high quality and well appreciated.
So we will return again, flying over other resorts in the Caribbean to get to this wonderful resort. If I was asked why we return again and again, I would have to say in huge part to the staff and also the high standards expected in food and service. Well done Casa Velas, my home away from home....

Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was our first visit to Casa Velas Boutique Hotel...the week of January 13, 2013. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by Angel Garcia, the hotel concierge, who facilitated our check- in process, provided us with a refreshing tropical beverage, briefly discussed the property features and personally escorted us to our suite. Our suite was well appointed with a king size bed, a patio area, plunge pool and jacuzzi in the bathroom. After we settled in, we ordered room service for a bite to eat. I was amazed at how quick the meal came. The hamburgers were still warm and quite tasty. Later that evening, we dined at Emilianos. All food selections are cooked to order and the food presentation is simply first class. My wife and I were introduced to the waiters who were always friendly, helpful and gracious. Even the chef came out and introduced himself to us. We would like to give a shout out to the waiter staff who everyday greeted us with a smile and made our dining experience pleasurable. Many thanks to Edgar, Cruz, Daniel, Carlos, Wilebard, Jessica and Lizabeth. Also many thanks to Jorge for your always timely assistance anytime I called.

We were at pool side most days. We never wanted for anything. The servers always kept us with bottles of water and our favorite drinks. The grounds were kept clean and well manicured. Simply just a lovely, relaxed atmosphere. My wife and I often sat on the terrace of the lobby for quiet moments. Many thanks to Bernie, the terrace lobby bartender, for making the best cocktails and making sure we had our nightly sambuca before we retired for the evening. We also checked out the beach club the last fews days of our vacation. We found it to be a special delight and loved to have lunch there. We recommend visiting the spa. We had massages there and they were expertly done.

All in all, it was a restful and relaxing week. We do plan to visit again next year. We loved everything about Casa Velas. The service is just that good. Didn't go into town at all except to go on a boatride excursion. Casa Velas is an 80 room all-inclusive boutique hotel resort. I would recommend this place for couples who want to get away for some private time or to relax and be rested. The property is not on a beach, but guests have access to a private beach club where you can have lunch and enjoy the ocean.

Room Tip: Get a room with a jacuzzi, patio and plunge pool.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We just returned from an absolutely grand week at Casa Velas Boutique Hotel in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. This all-inclusive resort has everything adults c
ould desire for a wonderful respite from the daily grind. The staff was friendly, always helpful, and gracious. The food was interesting and varied. The grounds were beautifully maintained with the pool serving as the centerpiece for relaxation and serenity. The rooms were quite nice with a stunning shower area.

Our only concern was the rumor that very shortly children may be allowed. If this were so, we're afraid that it would have a genuine negative effect on the overall ambiance of the current adults-only retreat. AMB and MEI, Green Valley, AZ

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AMBird_13
Reviewed January 28, 2013

After travelling 24 hours to get there we don´t regret our decision to go to Casa Velas Boutique Hotel! We spent 3 weeks in high season; including Christmas and the start of january -13.
Beautiful garden and pool-area, restaurant Emiliano with outstanding food and the presentation of the food was outstanding! For a golfer it was fantastic; just a 1 minute walk to the clubhouse/driving range or some minutes with the shuttle bus (always available). I liked the course (hcp10), but may be demanding for some with narrow fairways.
The staff, especially in the reception were very kind and serviceminded. Internet access ok in the reception-area.
We plan to come back one day!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank returner508
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We visited Casa Velas last June, spending roughly a week under the all-inclusive plan. For some perspective on how we view such vacations, our primary concern was service and relaxation, with food and drink quality as a close third. (We tend to regard ourselves as gourmands: here at home we have happily dined in most of our local Michelin Starred restaurants.)
One of our primary concerns in researching for a resort was the quality of the food. In several instances, we were tempted by the variety of luxurious styles of cuisine offered at other resorts, but we ultimately settled on Casa Velas because the food was generally well reviewed, the variety was somewhat more than sufficient, and the all-inclusive option seemed a good value.

We were not wrong. Don't be mistaken: if you are craving gourmet food on an all-inclusive program, you should not expect classic french cuisine as prepared by Alain Ducasse, or Wylie Dufresne whipping up some molecular gastronomy miracle. What you CAN expect are industry standards from the past few decades executed faithfully and very well. We never failed to have a satisfying meal at Casa Velas, and I say that as a very picky eater. Was I blown away by every bite? Not at all. But did I savor almost every bite? Certainly.

On to service: it was excellent. It perfectly met the needed balance between easily available help without being intrusive. it was exceptionally friendly without being overly familiar. special requests about treatment were met with graciousness, and at no point did anyone even suggest through mannerisms that a request was anything other than convenient and reasonable. After our first meal, I had included a rather large tip. 9The resort itself will caution you that tipping is not expected or required, and that it is in fact somewhat discouraged. Long established habits of mine mean that I am most comfortable tipping lavishly at the beginning. There was absolutely no pressure to do this.) After my wife and I had signed for the bill, we took a walk through one of the gardens. Our waiter took the time to track me down to double check that i had not made an error in my math...this was a small thing, but he did it so expertly that I walked away feeling magnanimous rather than embarrassed.

It was small touches of that sort that really made our stay remarkable. An item wasn't available during lunch? They would check with the kitchen. Our turn-down service could certainly come back, since we were going out again after a late nap. The pool bar would be happy to run and get an item not on their menu...in fact, I cannot think of a dissatisfying service experience.

The rooms were lovely and luxurious. The resort was generally spotless, the atmosphere almost sleepy. The ratio of space to guests was perfect. It truly was a vacation idyll. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple