“Villa #9 - fit for a King!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocho Cascadas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ocho Cascadas
Key West, Florida
“Villa #9 - fit for a King!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2008

This was absolutely the most beautiful place I have ever been!

We booked this via Interval International (II). Ocho Cascadas (OC) is a destination in itself and I have been dying to stay there for years. So when it popped up on II's availability - I grabbed it - without even caring what airfare may cost.

Turns out the cheapest flight was through American for $524 per person from Miami. We didn't care that MIA is 3hr 20min from our house in Key West – we knew this vacation would be special.

I booked only nine days in advance so all my plans were very rushed. I called OC about three days ahead to let them know our approximate arrival time - they said no problem - the night guard will have your key.

We arrived at OC around 10pm PV time and the security guard had our key to Villa # 9 - just as promised.

Stepping through the door for the first time (at night none the less) was unbelievable. The view of the bay and the city skyline was incredible.

We quickly walked through our Villa and even went back to the guard to make sure that we were in the right place.

The next morning we spoke with the Assistant Manager, Antonio, who was extremely professional and courteous. He made everything run so perfect I was almost tempted to tell him that we were not celebrities.

Our two maids Lydia and Eva (yes, two! - one day and one night) were very friendly and meticulous cleaners. I don't know how they carry all their cleaning equipment up and down those stairs like they do - they must have leg muscles galore! Throughout our stay, these two angels kept our Villa clean and stocked with fresh towels. We tipped them on our last night.

The views, ahhh the views! They were spectacular and I never tired of just standing and looking out over Banderas Bay.

We met a couple from Seattle who stayed in Villa #6 (I won't give names) and shared a Filet Mignon dinner prepared by OC's Floating Chef. My favorite was the desert - pie and coffee with brandy and ice cream. This was a perfect way to meet lifelong friends.

The time we spent lounging in the pool or relaxing in the hammock will not be forgotten - ever.

I have not a single complaint; not even a recommendation on what to improve on as OC is perfect just the way it is.

My only regret is that I know my next vacation will be a “settle” no matter how much we spend, because I will be comparing it to OC.

• Liked — The views and the plushness of the Villa
  • Disliked — The occasional mosquitos
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
9 Thank kwbts124

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2008

My husband and I had the fabulous opportunity to stay at Ocho Cascadas with three friends, April 10-17, 2008. The best word to sum up our week is “WOW”! It was probably one of the most relaxing vacations we’ve ever taken in paradise.

Ocho Cascadas is located in the Conchas Chinas neighborhood of Puerto Vallarta, which is an exclusive area built into the hillside overlooking the Banderas Bay. What a spectacular view we had! All villas are open-air with no windows and very few full walls. Our visit was in April, and while there were very few bugs, each sleeping area was complete with mosquito netting to ward off any bugs while sleeping at night. There was very little humidity during the day, but it did get humid at night. There were very few bugs during the day or at night, although we did see a few bats fly in and out of our living room each night as we played games at the dining table.

We rented Villa #3 directly from the owner. Villa #3 is the only villa with a sundeck, except the Penthouse, and some call it the “Lower Penthouse”. Other villas do have a nice area to relax and get the sun, but the sundeck of Villa #3 is HUGE! Villa #3 has two bedrooms, sleeping two people each, plus two sleepers out in the living area. Our single friend slept in one of those sleepers and while it was very comfy, the sound of the outdoors (the street noise from the house below our hill could be loud at night) was sometimes too loud for him to sleep through the night. In fact, anyone who is a light sleeper may have some challenges sleeping through the night here. The villa itself was huge – over 2800 square feet including the sundeck.

We spent every day enjoying our own plunge pool, then laying on the sundeck or relaxing on the hammock while sipping a mixed drink. The kitchen came stocked with all of the appliances we needed (especially a blender ). Ocho Cascadas offered a grocery shopping service where they delivered our requested groceries in advance of our arrival, based on a grocery list we had sent in advance. We ordered enough groceries to last us 3-4 days, then made another grocery store (and liquor store – La Playa) run midway through our stay to last us the rest of the week. This proved to be a very economical and convenient way to ensure we always had ample food and beverage on hand. Additionally, Ocho Cascadas offers twice-daily maid service. Josephina came in each morning and efficiently swept, mopped, washed dishes, and took out the garbage. She did an outstanding job; it almost felt like she was part of the family!

Though we spent most of our time relaxing in the luxury of our villa, we did venture out several times to visit the city and experience some great tastes! Pipi’s is a favorite of ours for inexpensive and fun Mexican fare, so we ate there again on this trip. Boca Bento was recommended to us by some friends as a really good Pan Asian eatery, and boy were they right! The owners are very friendly and the food is very, very good as is the ambience of the space itself. Barcelona’s provided great tapas (even the potato salad appetizer was incredible!) and EXCELLENT views of the city! We spent three meals at Mama Dolores’ Diner on Olas Atlas – one dinner and two breakfasts. We HIGHLY recommend it for breakfast as the menu is huge and they offer everything from a variety of crepes to variations of eggs benedict, omelets, and the biggest fruit smoothies in town! Mama Dolores’ is a must for breakfast, but note that they are closed on Mondays.

On our third night we hired a floating chef. We placed our orders from a menu provided by the front desk, and though it is a really good deal ($25 total for five of us + the cost of groceries) the downside is that the floating chef doesn’t really know how to cook for vegetarians. Two out of five people in our group are vegetarians. Instead of cooking a real meal for the non-meat eaters, the floating chef simply removed the shrimp from their plates so their meals consisted of two side dishes – rice and vegetables – in addition to the appetizers (soup and salad). So, for anyone contemplating the floating chef – go for it only if all of your group will eat the same thing, and it involves meat or seafood. If so, it’s a screamin’ deal!

Head over to Los Muertos Beach for some good people-watching, sunning and sand. We cabbed it over there for $6, and staked out our spot next to Blue Chairs Resort under a palapa with four of us in the shade and one in the sun (me!) for a day of blue skies, sunshine, dipping in the water, eating, and drinking. As long as you order food and beverages from the beach menu, you won’t be charged for rental of the palapa and chairs. Carlos took great care of us, and helped to provide another relaxing day in paradise! We also got lucky and saw a sting ray jump out of the ocean twice!

Outside of Puerto Vallarta, we spent one day taking a bus to Mismaloya Beach. The bus stops at the bottom of the Conchas Chinas neighborhood and is an easy walk from the villa. The bus ride itself cost .60 each way per person, and took about 20 minutes to get to Mismaloya. The public beach area is located behind Hotel Barcelo and offers several options for outdoor lounging on chairs with food and beverage service. The beach wasn’t too busy, and we found out that there was a soccer game on television so many of the locals stayed home that day (on a Saturday). This meant we weren’t elbow to elbow like we’ve been on other Mexican beaches (Acapulco specifically comes to mind).

Another day we took the bus up to Sayulita for the day. We took a cab from Ocho Cascadas (cost was $10) to Wal-Mart, then caught a bus in front of Wal-Mart that took us to Sayulita (cost was $2/person). Busses to Sayulita run every 20 minutes. Once on the bus, it took about an hour or hour and a half to get to Sayulita, so be sure to leave Puerto Vallarta in the 10 o’clock hour so you can spend a full day in Sayulita. Plan on the bus ride as part of your overall experience, and a great way to see the Riviera Nayarit. Sayulita is a small fishing village with maybe 4-5 square blocks of shops and a small beach with very soft sand. The surf is perfect for boogie boarders and surfers, and we saw several people taking lessons there. This laid-back area was such a switch from the touristy areas of the Malecon and Olas Atlas areas of Puerto Vallarta. Not only did everyone seem slower paced in Sayulita, but time also seemed to pass by slower, offering another great relaxing day for us.

If I had to do it all over again I would only change two things – I would stay in the Penthouse next time (we got to tour it and it was amazing, with 3 pools and a bridge in the living room!) and I wouldn’t have more than four people in our villa. Even though the villas will sleep up to six people, the sounds from the lack of windows and doors can really be a detriment to anyone sleeping on a living room sleeper.

We loved Ocho Cascadas so much that we are already looking for a way to go back in 2010, hopefully in the Penthouse!

• Liked — The plunge pool, the views from the sundeck, and the service
  • Disliked — The noise from the house down below (late at night)
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
10 Thank TrvlGrl12
Delhi, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2008

This is quite possibly the most amazing resort I have EVER been to. The whole thing was amazing! The staff was accomodating, the suites are fantastic and the views were INCREDIBLE!

• Liked — The resort...
  • Disliked — The suites are stacked (hence the 8 waterfalls) and the steps are horrific to get to them...
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveling_pm
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2007

We LOVED this week at Ocho Cascades. The unit was beautiful! Loved the convience of the pool. All other guests were fun and friendly.
Great!

• Liked — Views,unique quality of units
  • Disliked — lots of stairs
  • Stayed September 2004, traveled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2007

Pictures cannot describe how beautifuI and romantic this place is. I exchanged my Las Vegas timeshare to stay here after so many people recommended it and I was not disappointed. I was alittle apprehensive as I have never stayed in an open-aired room. I was already aware of the steep steps from previous reviews.

Once we opened the door to unit #4 my mouth fell open in amazement from the private pool, panaoramic view of the ocean and expansive accomodations. The bedrooms were lovely. We were worried we would be very hot as it was May but the breeze from the ocean made it very comfortable. There is plenty of space to soak up the sun or relax in the shade right in the villa.

We did not get to use the "floating chef" as they have to be booked in advance but we did use to grill and eat out in town.

The first night we opted not to use the mosquito net but we did the following nights as we did get bit. That is to be expected in an open space. Once we used the net we were fine. We did see an occasional baby iquana and other insects from time to time but again, you are in an open space. The atmosphere of the place clearly makes up for those occasional sightings.

We were are about 30 minutes form the airport but only 5 minutes from town ($5 cab ride/50 cent bus ride).

The only drawback I could say was that beach on this side is very rocky and the water is not clear like other caribbean locations. The beaches are better on the other side of town. It also is about a 10-15 minute walk to get there. We are use to Cancun beaches and water so we were a little disappointed but the private pool made up for it.

There is cobblestone from the villa all the way down to the main road so good walking shoes are needed unless you have a cab pick you up at the front door. Have them pick you up at the bottom and rop you off at the top. It is easier to walk downhill than uphill.

If you can stay here it is well worth it. I would stay here again.

• Liked — the view and the private pool
  • Disliked — the steep cobblestone hills
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank mshelluva
Baton Rouge, La
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2007

I have enjoyed Ocho Cascades for over 8 Years, and it is still my favorite luxury vacation. From the views, location, linens, staff to the chef, you can not get any better than this. If you have the oppurtunity to stay at Ocho's, you will not regret it! This is a vacation that you will remember for the rest of your life.

Best Breakfast: Memo's Casa de Hotcakes American Basilio Badillo 289 , Puerto Vallarta ***(Ask to sit in the Courtyard area)

Best Lunch/Dinner & great view: Daiquiri Dick's- odd name great food!!!! (I am still craving the SHRIMP WON TON'S)

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank laffycat
Spring Lake, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2007

My husband and I just returned from our 2nd trip to Ocho Cascadas. We were anxious about living up to our memories of our stay last year, but one step into our villa and it felt as though we were "home." The complex and our villa were freshly painted, the planters were filled with beautiful new buganvilias and copa de oro flowering plants and a chilled bottle of wine was waiting for us. Our stay surpassed all of our expectations and more. The staff is outstanding,always there to take care of you. And those Puerto Vallarta sunsets from our private pool only get better every night!!!!!!!!!
We will return for as long as we can.

• Liked — Luxury and privacy with an exquisite view of the Bay
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple