“Not bad for first time in Mexico- All inclusive”

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #46 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I booked us into the all inclusive resort (I think there is two)
Nothing spectacular for rooms but clean and fairly well maintained. We had a very noisy room first night but they moved us the next day at no charge.
Pool is small and lots of kids. Better get up early to get a chair by the pool (before 8AM if you want shade), don't just throw some towel on a chair and go for breakfast and be sure to still have a chair, but sometimes it works. As far as complaints I have read about the music poolside I found it a welcome repreive from all the usual rap and hard rock I am constatly bombarded by, I am so sick of Puff Diddy and all the same olds and poppy punk bands.I liked the Spanish stuff most. It's a pool not a dance club.
Beach is pretty good and if you tell the vendors no firmly they will leave you alone. There is an Internet cafe across from the Marina that is great and cost $1 an hour, Next to that is a liquer store, and next to that is a little shop called "Shop For Alice". The shop has the best prices. It's 100 yards from the hotel, and she even wraps up all your stuff and was nice to us. Just buy all your junk there cause the prices downtown and anywhere else are the same as Canada. Everyone sells the same junk. Don't waste your time shopping .
Don't be sucked into the time share sales pitch by anyone wearing a "Golden Shores" shirt. I just told them no and they left me alone.
Front desk staff are great and so are the bellboys. Don't expect cooks on kitchen to know English (learn some Espanol gringo) but the waiters are great.
I constantly left pesos, my wallet, and stuff laying around in my room and the cleaning staff took nothing, they even piled up all my stuff in a neat pile.
Remotes are useless, very little English channels but who cares.
Good place for families, not much action for singles cause you might be trying to hussle up someones 17 year old daughter.
I was there when Skyservice went bankrupt and my Signature Vacation rep was nowhere to be found. A bell boy pulled out his blackberry and contacted Signature Vacations and got one of his Espanol buddies to confirm my alternate tranportation back to Winnipeg. Thank you Sunwing Airlines, the staff, and my good amigo Nicolas.
If you do not know where else to book go for it and check around other places but they are probably all the same.
Food was OK, I liked it, great for kids.
Drinks were great and the tequila was flowing freely. Daddy had a headache in the morning a few times.l The ocean swim helps cure a hangover.

1  Thank Footbig
There are newer reviews for Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta

Reviewed April 3, 2010

I was disappointed with the service standards provided. While there were some hard working staff (Ophelia) there was a general lack of proper services provided by the hotel. When you have to return to the front desk to ask for a remote control for your TV after checking in, you know you are off to a rough start! There was minimum staff present during peak hours, resulting in long line ups. The most disappointing aspect was when my son and a group of other teenagers wanted use of the Hotel's basketball court and were told it was not available because STAFF were using it for a team building tournament. I am all for team building, but at the expense of the paying guest, find alternate arrangements for your staff or you will lose paying customers. Food was not the greatest and lacked variety. Other then breakfast, we largely went off resort to eat meals after the second day. I hate being critical, as I, by no means am perfect, but providing mediocre service as opposed to at least trying to provide a meaningful guest experience is a big difference.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

This was our first visit to PV and had stayed at the Crown Paradise in Cancun before and thought we would have the same positive experience. We were wrong!

The food at the restaurant was always the same, the beach was full of vendors, and the concierge service was lousy... Actually, we got more accurate information from the bell boy ( Angel) than the concierge staff.

The pools are small, and the beach (although nice) is next to the public beach entrance, therefore it has direct access to vendors, and local fisherman. The closets to hang the clothes are inside the bathroom, therefore, the clothes do get a musty odor.

When we called to obtain information, we were lead to believe that while the kids would be in the "kids paradise" they would supervise our children while they were in the pool, but that was not true. They have scheduled activities for the children, some are fun but others are not, but while the children are in the kids pool area, they need to be supervised by their parents. It is important also to know, that the children's pool area is not enclosed (like the one at the Crown Paradise - Cancun), but open, therefore, the children may wonder off and go to to other areas at the resort.

In summary, for the amount of money we spent to come to this resort, we could have gone somewhere else for much less.

Reviewed March 28, 2010

I stayed at the Crown Paradise in 2006 and enjoyed it so much I decided to bring my friend there. I couldn't believe it... As soon as we checked in, we were whisked over to a table by a man and woman (whom we thought were with the hotel), and proceeded to waste about 20 minutes of our time -- end result being they were trying to sell us a timeshare. I was extremely angry that, after a long day of travel, we were accosted by these people -- and the hotel lets them have a desk right in their lobby, lending them an air of credibility.

After extracting ourselves from the sales pitch, we were taken to our room. Four years ago, the rooms were fresh and bright and we could drink the water out of the tap. This time, when we walked into our room, it had an overwhelmingly musty smell. We asked to be shown another room; same thing. On the fourth try, we got a room whose musty smell was at least better than the previous ones. The beds are EXTREMELY hard, and I had trouble sleeping the whole time I was there. Also, they give you one bottle of water per day (enough to brush your teeth and take your medication), and after that they charge per bottle.

Two more things: the beach vendors are aggressive -- more so than when I was there last, it seems; and the outdoor chairs were covered in bird feces. This was not the case when I was there in 2006. Oh, and Internet service is $5 per HALF HOUR, which is ridiculous. There is an Internet cafe up the street that charges a buck an hour.

I was surprised that much of the staff didn't speak basic English -- this was a problem several times, particularly when calling the front desk.

On the plus side, the food is still really good, and the jacuzzi pool is awesome. The staff in the restaurants are extremely friendly and eager to help. In the end though, I will stay somewhere else if I go back to P.V.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank chalkhills89
Reviewed March 22, 2010

First of all I will start with telling everyone that the reviews for this hotel are not all true. This hotel has many great things and a few things that are not all that good but can live with. The pools are all small there are three but you have to look for the
L shaped pool it is on the other side of the building of where the activity pool is. Also the hot tub is only for adults which I found nice because there is a lot of families at this resort with small children and after 2 weeks of little kids you get tired of them hanging around.

Over all we found this resort to have a great location you walk out of the lobby and turn right and stay on the sidewalk and you are at the Marina. If you want to go down town just walk out to the Soriana Grocery store and catch a bus that says Centrol it cost 65pesos or 65 cents canadian. Money was not a problem there is a bank machine in the hotel and the hotel does money exchange but the exchange is better downtown or even at the marina just shop around for the best rate. PV accepts Canadian Pesos and American dollars so that is nice. Walmart is a close walk from the resort also but be aware it is not cheap. The beds are hard but that is mexico and the rooms are a bit out of date but we didn't spend much time in them. I do wish that the safe in the room was electronic not key but it worked out just fine. We never once had a problem with hot water in the shower it was always perfect not to hot and never cold.
Food was okay but we found something to eat every day. The soft ice cream at the beach snack place was great. Chicken nuggets and wings were great at the mid stop by the pool. If you like that kind of stuff. They give small portions so always ask for more or start with asking for 6 of each item that you want they only give 3 to 4. Room did smell kind of funky when we first got there but we bought an air freshner from the grocery store and it seemed to help a bit. We travelled with two boys 8 and 13 and they both played in the water park area. It is very small and is more for 3 to 6 year olds but they had fun in the pool. There is a hot spot in the kiddy pool over but the yellowy rocks but the white slide be careful the water coming out could burn you. The front desk staff is great even after we checked out and were not leaving until 12 hrs after our check out they treated us just the same. As for tipping we did tip most of the time but did not find that the service was any better if we did not tip, So if you have extra money to spare you can and if not don't feel bad that you didn't cause you are not missing out on different service. I found that the best service for meals was at supper time. We did not eat at any of the alacarts so we can not speak about them. The nightly shows are good here is a schedule for you if you are planning something and don't want to miss something.
Monday - Tropical night Dancers
Tuesday- Karoake ( guest do it )
Wednesday- Crazy games ( guest do it)
Thursday - Dancers
Friday - Magic Show
Saturday - Disney show really good if you have little ones.
Sunday - Mexican Dance

Hopefully that will help you out some if you have any question just ask.

Oh and the workers don't speak very good english so learn some spanish if you can just the basics it will help you out.

2  Thank scoobyDawsonCreek
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We got back a week ago today and overall happy with the hotel. We opted out of the family room we had booked and were given a pool view with a cot for free and was much better for our family of 4. Our 3 yr old loved the pool and our 11 yr old loved the ocean and waves so good for both age groups.

Since getting home we have all discovered bites but mostly on my 3 yr old and she cannot stop scratching and am pretty sure it was bed bugs as there were no flying bugs that we ever saw. So if you are going check under the sheet well (we were in 219) but my parents were in 224 and they are fine so.....

The staff were great, the food average, the kids pool ideal and overall activities well done - my 3 yr old loved the Disney show even though it is a little late.

We went on the pirate ship and got a good deal by booking right at the office at the marina - right next door - kids free and adults $65 US each and if our older son hadn't gotten seasick would have been a really great day. Make sure you take your Gravol before you get on, we waited and by then it was too late.

Took a city/mountain tour with a tequila factory and botanical reserve that was really good $25 each and small kids free.

We loved the relaxed atmosphere and lots of shade on the beach and had fun haggling and meeting a few of the locals for our shopping.

Go with low expectations and you will be pleasantly surprised - it is what you make it.

Hola !!!

Reviewed March 21, 2010

We just got back from our trip to the Crown Paradise in P.V. and I must say it was overall, enjoyable. Our two boys ages 9 and 4 had a magnificent time meeting other kids at the kids pool area and beach and have become good friends. The open air lobby, upon arrival, was clean and the staff curtious. There were those time share people but if you'd read trip advisor prior to going, you'd know to avoid them. It wasn't a big deal. The rooms were spotless and the bathroom a nice size. We did not take the family room as we had booked because it does face the road. It was much nicer to face the kids pool and we had no problem switching. We did this before we left. The staff was constantly cleaning as far as we could see everything was very tidy. The boys enjoyed going to the bars to order their own drinks. They have a special drink menu for the kids. Sponge Bob's seem to be the drink of choice!! The beach was clean and busy with families. There are peddlers which at times, can become overwhelming but take it all with a grain of salt!!!! My kids loved the kid pool with the Pirate Ship and slides. There's no lifeguard but you should be watching them anyway!! It would be nice to have a few chairs around the side to sit and watch but it wasn't a big deal. The beds, everyone complains about are a bit hard but we had no problem with them. The only problem we had was the buffet. The food is not good and there is a poor selection. The a la carte restaurants are decent but you can't go every night. We ended up going downtown for lunches but to also see the city. Overall, it was a great experience. If you go there, it's for the kids and if they love it what more could you ask for??

2  Thank snooks_10