“Great for Families - If your kids have fun, you will too.”

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #49 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Maple Ridge, BC
“Great for Families - If your kids have fun, you will too.”
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I wanted to write a review as we relied on TripAdvisor quite extensively when selecting a place to go in Mexico for spring break. The reviews were mixed (with some polar opposites) coming in, but some friends gave us some useful advice who had been here before: "If your kids have fun and enjoy themselves, you will too."

We have 2 young boys: ages 5.5 and almost 4. The word "almost" is important in this sentence as I will touch on later. The hotel can be best summarized by the following statement (and for those of you who have kids the same age, this may mean something) ... the family suites have a small turtle step stool in the bathrooms that allowed the kids to wash their hands.

This is a young family-friendly resort, and I almost felt bad for the occasional travelers that were their sans kids, and even for those who had kids that were older, or at least older that they were off doing their own thing while the adults relished the kid-free time.

We had a family suite,and found that it well suited our needs. We were on the 2nd floor and didn't find the street noise to be that much of a problem unlike other reviewers. The noise more came from the echoing hallways of young kids being "shushed" by their parents as they went to and from their rooms later at night. For our boys, they declared that the bunk beds were one of the trip's highlights.

The bunk beds are isolated enough that the kids can sleep while you keep a light or two on to read... though other activities (watching TV) might disturb sleeping kids. The rooms are in OK shape. They are starting to show some wear-and-tear, with little things: like our toilet seat broke while we were there and the cover for our thermostat kept falling off the wall. It wasn't a big deal as other than sleeping, showering, and lathering with sunscreen, we didn't spend much time in the room.

The beds are hard as people have noted. I did get more sleep than I have in years and was well rested in the mornings, so it couldn't have been that bad. Though I would really recommend fitted sheets, but that might be a persona pet peeve more than anything.

The rooms were well cleaned every day. We tipped the first day, and not the second, and there was no difference in cleanliness (we didn't tip again until the last day... more as a thank you).

The food: great was the Japanese restaurant, good was the Italian restaurant, and OK was everything else. Basically it is food similar to any other all inclusive. Not as good as a cruise ship, but passable. Our boys are picky eaters, but ate well at every meal, even if it was simply rotating between hot dogs, pasta, pizza, chicken fingers, Fruit Loops, and of course, lots of ice cream. The service in all the restaurants was very good and courteous.

For families, this is an important point. You won't feel out of place if your kids are somewhat disruptive while eating. Even in some of the nicer restaurants, between dropping things on the floor, and playing with chopsticks, you don't stress too much. After all, kids are at almost every other table. Reservations were easy to come by, but we only made them for between 6:00 and 6:45. You could book 2 days out.

The drinks: tasty. Classic drinks with pineapple garnish, umbrellas, and the like "dos pina colada por favor". They have a bunch of themed drinks for the kids named after characters: (Batman, Spongebob, Shrek, Barbie, etc.) These always were enjoyed and was another example of catering to families. We didn't tip as we never carried cash around with us and that is why I went to an all-inclusive. This didn't make a difference in the service that we got. We did tip on the last day as a thank you for the great service.

The Beach: much better than I expected. The sand was perfect for sand castles and this was part of our daily routine. The surf was bigger than I expected and had a fair bit of undertow, so little kids aren't out by themselves, but playing at around their ankles is fine.

Yes, there are a lot of vendors, but they weren't annoying and rather added to the charm a little bit. If you said no, they didn't bother you. I actually found it much more pleasant than getting a "Spare some Change" panhandling that you get when walking around Vancouver. My wife got her hair braided, and I bought hats ($10 if you negotiate), and some new sunglasses after I lost my first pair in a too big of wave ("ray bans" for $15, the guy next to me paid $21).

The Kids Pool area: this is why you go to this place with your family. Not too deep and the kids practically lived in here. They loved it. It did get quite crowded on the weekend when quite a few locals arrived. It is not life guarded, so we sat on the side and read some books, but mostly the kids were simply doing laps up and down slides. It would have been great if there were chairs, but sitting on some "rocks" with your toes in the water was OK too.

Kids Club: we only tried this once. Our 3-year old who is just a few days shy of his 4th birthday was told that he couldn't come back as he wasn't 4 and that he would have to go the infant club. We had checked him in with no problems, but we were told this when we returned. While this is technically the rules, he is more physically and emotionally than most 4 year olds. If you are going and are in the same situation, fake the name on the registration card at the front desk as they called to check (same price regardless). It was handled poorly by the kids club manager

Resort Activities: Didn't do much of the planned events at the resort, opting to play with the kids and do our own adventures. We did the bowling, checkers, etc, and that was a hit with the kids.
Other Activities: We did two excursions on our trip: the pirate ship adventure and a Vallarta Adventures dolphin encounter. Both were great. The pirate ship made for a long day, but they took great care of you on board and at the beach they take you to. If you get nauseated, it is a sailing ship and the swells can get pretty big, be prepared. It was a $21 taxi ride to the dolphin adventure up in Nuevo Vallarta, but well worth it. The prices being quoted us by various beach vendors for these activities was more than what we saw online (by a fair bit), so we actually used their in-house internet center and spent $5 for 30 minutes and booked directly. This probably saved us $100 between the 2 activities. Another tip we were given after, there is a web cafe 1 block away that has 1 hour for $1. Oh well.

Service: We noted that we wish we could take some of the staff home with us. Everything is always being cleaned and kept in great condition. Thinking ahead to writing this review I was going to comment that the bowling lane needed to be cleaned/painted, but a fresh coat of paint was applied half-way through our stay. All the "tour/information" desks in the lobby are time shares, even the one that is with the hotel (they are just selling the hotel's own version). The front desk, while helpful, weren't that knowledgeable about activities; however, if you want to know what is happening or what to do, how long things take/cost... ask the bell desk. They were great and helpful.

Overall: I've been back for a week, and I still feel rested. If you are going expecting a 5-star property, gourmet food at every turn, boutique hotel-like bedding, or simply traveling as a couple, well you will be disappointed and probably should look elsewhere. If you are going with a young family, bring your camera and lots of sunscreen. You will need both every day to capture the smiles in the sunshine.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank MapleRidgeFamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
winnipeg
Reviewed March 19, 2010

my family has gone for 15 years to crown paradise and they do a very good job of keeping up the resort . the staff is most friendly and we love the beach vendors they keep us amused , the food at crown pardise is good but could be changed more often , they have relaxed the rules of formal wear at dinner, which is good now casual is ok. We just returned from a month there and would recommend to any body, yes the marriot is nicer but it has no charm like this resort

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Edmonton
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Yes it had good service, great kids pool, average food but the kids suite was awful. As mentioned they all face the road which can be very noisy by 7am. The room faces East and lights up by 7:30am. The bunk area has no door and the walls don't go to the ceiling. Unless you really need the 3 bunks, don't pay the extra. Get a regular room. If you don't have kids, stay somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Hola

We stayed at this resort from Feb. 26 thru March 5th/2010 and had a great time.

We loved the location-in particular the proximity to the Marina-we could sit out on our top floor balcony, which faced the Ocean room # 567 and watch the cruise ships pulling into the Marina-and witnessed some of the most amazing Sunsets ever-which we captured in photos.

The ocean was very frisky when we were there - so we basically just let the waves cool us off rather than swimming-we have the utmost respect for the strong current that could be felt-even close to the shore line.

The beach allows for lovely walks-heading towards PV-some of the wave activity farther down the coast on these walks was unbelieveable!

Beach vendors were constant - but accepted a kind - no thank you and went on their merry way.

Spent an afternoon in downtown PV - but after that visit - we probably would not bother going again-not our cup of tea-too busy - too much crazy traffic (how come everything is done in 'Mexican Time' but the DRIVING)-yikes they are crazy drivers.

Did really enjoy taking the city bus to Bucerias-spending the day visiting friends who had rented a beach condo. Went to YoYoMo's for absolutely scrumptious pizza and took a cab back to the resort-it was late in the evening. The price for the cab was very reasonable - $25.

The staff at this resort were the best and most accomodating we have encountered in all of our AI trips, and I do mean all the staff.

Our room was kept spotless with as many bottles of water that we would request each day.

My only little complaint was the lighting in the bathroom-I felt like I was going blind-lol.

The Tiki Bar-right at the ocean - was a great place to sit and chill in the evenings. I was pleased to see that there was Canadian Whiskey, and Bailey's available - Bailey's in coffee at the end of the day was a nice touch.

The only ala carte restaurant that we went to was The Italian-I enjoyed it - Hubby didn't like his meal as much-his fillet was tough-I gave him half of mine and he said mine was perfect-just the luck of the draw - but the service was super and we had a lovely evening nonetheless.

We spent an afternoon on the Marina Boardwalk-met up with friends that were staying down the road from us. We had lunch at one of the many restaurants and drinks later at a little bar that served complimentary Tequila shooters with each drink purchased.

All in all this trip was just what the doctor ordered-lots of fun, rest and great service.

I did suggest-in my title-that this resort for us was suitable for a one week vacation - solely due to the smaller size of the complex, which results in less opportunities for dining and exploring.

We had a terrific vacation and hats off to the amazing staff-all of them (well with one tiny little exception that I mentioned in the check-out questionaire) - The Hotel Phone Operator-she needs some lessons in manners-she was rude.

If you are scheduled to stay at this resort-especially if you have children travelling with you (we didn't-- but did check out the children's pool and play area-WOW) you will not be disappointed.Kindest regards ~ Leigh

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank decklover
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2010

I would definitely recommend the Crown Paradise Club to anyone. I went with friends, and we're ages 19-24. There were not a lot of people around our age. It's a family resort with an amazing kids area, so there are a lot of kids. The Golden Crown Paradise next door is adults only if you don't want kids around.
We got to the resort around 2am, and the check-in was pretty quick. Our room had an amazing view of the kids area, one of the a-la-carte restraunts, and the swim up bar {jacuzzi pool}. We could also see a little bit of the ocean from our balcony, which was so nice. My friends thought the beds were kind of hard, but I think most resorts dont have the softest beds. I've been to another resort in PV before and it was the same. The remotes for the TV are at the check-in counter. If they forget to give you your remote, just ask them for it. Also, the rooms all have safes. You just need to ask for a key and lock to it. There's no charge unless you lose the key.
You can order room service whenever you want. We ordered it a couple days around 1am, and one day at 4pm. It was always good. It takes up to 45 minutes to deliever, but it never took that long for us.
The jacuzzi pool {swim up bar} is an amazing way to start your morning. The bar in the pool opens at 12, but you can still go in the water. You have to go in the ocean at least once. You can get boogie boards {it's all free if you're all inclusive. So are kayaks} and ride the waves, which is so much fun. If you walk on the rocks {they are at like, the middle of the beach. They are pretty easy to walk on too. Once you get a little further into them, they are not as smooth and flat so it's a little tricky} you can see the entire beach, and there's crabs on the rocks on the sides, by the ocean.
The absolute most beautiful sight you will see down there is the sunset. We were there at the end of Feb, and the sunset was usually around 6:55pm. We had supper and watched it a few nights, but usually we would grab a drink from the beach bar and go find chairs on the beach.
The beach bar is the best. There's usually a couple chairs open you can grab around it. You will meet some of the best people from all over the world at that bar. Especially at night. It was always a good time to just hang out there at night, after supper. Having some drinks and meeting new people is always fun.
We didnt spend much time at the resort sports bar. They had a couple rooms off to the side with wii's, a pool table, an air hockey table, and a fooseball table. There were tvs around the main bar area showing random sporting events. We were down there when the Olympics were on, and the bar at the resort didnt have a channel showing the hockey games. Some people we met told us about a sports bar named Champions, and we went there a few times. It took like, 5-10 minutes to get there in a cab, and cost 60 pesos usually. It's a sports bar, not just a Canadian sports bar. We went to the Canada vs USA game, and there was an even amount of each. It's really fun. If you want to leave the resort to have some beers and watch sports, I would definitely recommend going to Champions.
There's always a nightly show at 9:30 at Club Nitro across the street. Everyone from Crown Club and Golden Crown can go to it. Drinks are all included there as well. The Disney show was amazing. It was the first show we saw, it was great. There's shows like kareoke and ''crazy games' that include the people there.
A couple minutes away, there's a Peninsula shopping centre. It has a Chili's and a Starbucks. We went a few times, to go to Starbucks. There's a really good store in the centre, called Squalo. Sunglasses, clothes, flip flops. Really nice stuff.
If you want to go shopping, there's a great little area where the cruise ships dock. It takes about a minute to walk to. When you go to the front of the resort, just turn to the left, walk straight, and you're there. Don't go when there is a cruise ship docked, they always bump the prices up. But there's a lot of little stores. And a very cool restraunt. You sign a dollar bill, then it gets hung up somewhere around the bar. It's a really cool place to go and just have a drink.
I loved going to Club Nitro across the street. They stay open until 2 every night. The shows were usually over around 1030-1045, and they would have music going for people to drink and dance by 11. There's a big screen on the stage showing music videos and stuff. Sometimes they put a floor down to dance on. The nights I went, pretty much everyone just stayed by the bar area when you walk it. There's tables and room to dance up there. It was never very busy, but busy enough that it was fun. The bartenders are so much fun too. I love it there. The beach bar closes at midnight, so if you are not ready to stop by midnight, you can still drink and have a good time for 2 more hours at Nitro.
We usually tried to go to the jacuzzi, beach, and pool every day. We spent quite a bit of time just relaxing and tanning. If you just tell the venders no, they will usually just go away. We didnt buy any merchandise on the beach, but we got henna tattoos done on the beach. We got 3 for $15. They are pretty small, but for $5, I thought it was a good deal. We were told they last about 2 weeks. I got mine almost exactly 2 weeks ago {we've been back just over a week} and it's faded, but it's still there.
There's lots of activities going on at the resort. There's beach volleyball everyday usually. Blind volleyball is a lot of fun. I didnt play tequila volleyball, but my friends did. It looked like a lot of fun. It's a tequila mixed drink, not just straight tequila, so it's not too bad. haha. They do things like cooking lessons, water basketball, aerobics, stuff like that. Pretty much something for everyone.
The food at the buffet is very good. Especially in the morning. You can get an omelette made every day if you want. I always had waffles, they were so good. We were told we only got to go to 1 a-la-carte restraunt a week, but apparently you can go to as many as you want. We ended up going to the Japanese restraunt. It was one of the best meals I've ever had. Multiple courses, and a lot of choices.
There is a snack area by the beach. The nachos and cheese are delicious. It had burgers, hot dogs, fries, ice cream, stuff like that. Then attatched to the sports bar {by the pool} was another snack area. It had bagels, pretzels, wings, wraps, onion rings, chicken nuggets, etc. They had different things for different meals. You could sit in there and eat if you want as well.
Our flight was supposed to be at 2:25am, and the bus was going to pick us up at 12:15am. We had to check out by noon that day, but the resort has a hospitality room for everyone to stay in once you check out. They put your suitcases in a room by the front counter. If you ask one of the workers by there, you can get to your luggage whenever you want. Our flight ended up being pushed back to 5:30am, bus coming at 2:15am, so a lot of people layed on the couches in the hospitality room and had a nap. My friend said they were more comfortable then the beds. haha. There's bathrooms and showers in the room as well. And a couple tvs. It's a nice place to go after you check out.
It was an absolutely amazing week. I would love to go back. If you are thinking about going to Puerto Vallarta, you should definitely go to Crown Paradise Club. It's an amazing resort.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank rdf212
Lacombe, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I have been meaning to write this since we got back, but time has just gotten away from me.

The Crown Paradise was a very family, friendly resort.

The good:
Lots of different things for the kids to do.

The service at the restaurants for the kids was terrific.

The room was good, we loved the bunk beds.

The pool was decent size.

The sport bar/arcade room was good.

Shows were some of the better ones we have seen in any number of places we have visited.

Drinks were strong and there was a good variety for the kids.

Servers were friendly.

The not so good:
Lots of locals staying here, which I don't have a problem with, but we found them very rude. They budged in front of us and our kids for meals and for drinks. Because there was so many spanish speaking locals, the activities seemed very geared to them. The first 3 days, we felt like the token outsiders. My kids weren't comfortable joining all the kids activities because they kept speaking Spanish and they didn't think they would speak English for them.

The room was a little less than we expected, we thought there would be a door between the main room and the kids room, but there wasn't one.

The family rooms that we paid extra for backed onto the parking lot. It was a bit noisy.

The balcony was miniscule, not even room for a chair.

No decent chairs by the water park. They only had wooden benches and just a few of them. There were no lounge chairs, so despite the fact that the waterpark was great, we spent very little time there because there was nowhere for us to sit and watch.

All in all, for what we paid it was great. The kids had a fabulous time. They loved swimming in the pool and the ocean. The spa was decent. We would recommend this to someone looking for an economical, family friendly trip.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank MustangGirlAB
Minnesota
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We didn't know what to think by reading the reviews on this site..we are happy so many were un-founded! This resort was great..Sure it is no 5 star posh palace but so many other great qualities. We arrived 3 hours prior to check-in and told us our room would be on the 1st floor when I requested a higher floor I was given that-no problem. A lady did present her self immediately after check-in offering her help to show us around etc.. After a firm "No Thank you" we were left alone and not bothered by anyone the rest of the week. Time share people are at every resort and most stores down town-so the shocking sounding reviews about this issue?? It is Mexico!

The beds were hard and the property should consider this change as it is a complaint by every guest. I wasted no time calling for the foam tops for the bed and we had them by dinner. I called for another pillow and had that within 15 min. The rooms were clean and comfortable (even for our family of 4) we are in our room for bed time-so it met our needs.

The kids pool looked fun but our son (8 years old) was a bit old for that. The main pool was small and the temp was a bit warm. We spent most of our time on the beach- breezy, big and great sand in the swimming area with enough shells to find to keep kids busy for hours. The vendors on the beach did get a bit much but we love visiting with the locals and when you say no they leave you alone but be prepared to say no every minute to another one :)

Bar servers came onto the beach and pool area always offering fresh drinks (the frequency of this service is not common at most resorts). The buffet was typical all-inclusive...not great but you could find something- Breakfast was the best. The Italian restaurant was fantastic! You will not go hungry at this resort- I think you eat all hours of the day. We had to laugh because we read a review that said room service took 45 min. and when we looked at the menu it said it will take up to 45 min. right on it so this should not have been a shock to that guest. They had a so-so snack bar by the beach, we did find some of the creations interesting :) Great snack bar by the pool behind sliding doors with waffles, muffins, bagels in the morning...cheese sticks, chicken nuggets, onion rings in the afternoon...fish tacos, wraps in the evening...quite the hidden secret.

I found the service at this hotel to be fantastic!! We are in the food industry so this is important to us and our expectations with service and staff attitude were exceeded. Someone was always cleaning, smiling, offering you something- the staff makes this resort.

If you like to venture..walk to the grocery store (one block away) and look across the street to find the best Mexican restaurant. You must go here! This resort is in a very remote feeling area surrounded by locals (not surrounded by one hotel after another) and may not be for everyone. We have always felt safe in PV and absolutely did here too. We like the culture of the bus and the stop is in front of the grocery store (centro bus) for .50 cents to go down town.

Never really saw anyone in the sports bar- The beach bar seemed like a nice place in the evening to have drinks and visit with people.

We would stay here again and think you should give it a try and decide for your self.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family