“good trip. kids club overrated”

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #46 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
A TripAdvisor Member
winnipeg, manitoba, canada
Reviewed April 3, 2006

THE GOOD Our stay was very good. Our room was clean considering the amount of sand we tracked back everyday from our adventures.It was cleaned in the morning as we requested so our daughter could nap. There were some issues with the tub not draining and one bulb burned out but big deal- we showered and did what we needed to do just fine. We had a family room that had a less than spectacular view but the kids liked their little "space" (Our son and daughter 4 1/2 and 2 yrs.)We requested a playpen and had it within 10 mins for our daughter. Our son enjoyed the spanish cartoons before bed. Yes, we do let our son watch t.v...We only ate in the Kon Tiki buffet and enjoyed our meals. Some reviews talked about the same food over and over, I'm sorry even though it is all inclusive and a buffet , that does not mean you have to eat EVERYTHING THE FIRST DAY YOU GET THERE! The restuarant staff were very good, reward them a little bit for their effort and they will return the favor.
The staff we found to be polite and MOST had pretty good english. The kids loved the drink menu, my beer was cold, and house wine is house wine. The water park was great for the four to 10 crowd, unless you were expecting the world. There were shallow sections but only one small slide for the toddler set. I am glad there were no adults allowed on the slides because I wouldn't want my child knocked down by an adult coming off one of the slides. ( the 150+ pound 8 year olds are a whole other epidemic!)

We went to Sea Life Park by taxi,(not scary at all). This place is not Sea World but do have two small shows for the youger crowd to enjoy with shade over your head. The Pirate ship is fantastic and is a must see!
We paid for a late check out but it was well worth it travelling with two small kids.

FIRST BAD There is no Kid's Club! We were led to believe from Signature Tours that we might be able to enjoy some couple time by the pool while our children were in SUPERVISED activities. The "baby" area was a dingy room at the back of the hotel with few toys and a supervisor who did not speak English. I know Spanish folks can smell when pants need to be changed but if they do not understand " do you have toys for the kids to play with" I'm not leaving my kid. This area is not connected to the "kid's Club" so siblings may not be together. The "kid's club" (which is right next to the water park) had activities scheduled BUT I'm not comfortable with someone taking a group of kids to the beach (read ocean with an undertow) to build sandcastles. The kids could also come and go as they pleased. So, while I'm thinking about maybe reading a book by the pool, my son can just walk away and leave if he's bored!?
SECOND BAD Call the morning of your tour to make sure the Signature Rep has done their job and the tour company are coming to pick you up! The bus never did pick us up, we went on a little goose chase with little help from Signature and we finally re-booked for the following day and lunch was paid for by the tour company. Chalk it up to being in Mexico I say...

OVERALL we had a good stay, but my husband and I are both tired and need a vacation...

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed March 31, 2006

Great time had by all, clean,comfortable, good service and nice people, enjoyed our stay.

6  Thank dallas22
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 30, 2006

Just returned from a full week at the Crown Paradise with our children - 4, 9 and 11. We were a bit concerned given some of the cranky reviews, but our experience exceeded our expectations! This was not a 4 Seasons or a Ritz but a lovely hotel that lets you remember that you are in Mexico, rather than Florida. It was really pretty and incredibly clean (esp considering the proximity to the beach). The staff is universally friendly and helpful and the food was quite good. The buffet changed daily was much better than most - in fact, close to half the food is cooked right there. Our family is full of picky eaters, and everyone was happy with all the choices. We were delighted that most of the time, the kids didn't even eat off the kids' menu in the restaurants.

There is so much to do there (or, not, if you prefer to veg on the beach) such as ping pong, tennis, pool games, spa, windsurf lessons, beach volleyball....and all of it is included (well, not the spa, but it is much less than here in Chicago). We really didn't have to leave, but we did to go swim with the dolphins (book in advance!) and a boat day trip for snorkeling and horseback riding in the Sierra Madres (shop around before you book). We learned that the market right next door (about a 1 minute walk from the lobby) was as good (better?) than the shops in the city, with the same stuff. Try to go when there are no ships in (weekends) because the prices are better (but negotiate!) A lot of the stuff is available on the beach from vendors, too, but our experience was that the market prices were lower with some bargaining. The nightly shows were good and family friendly - some were lip synched cruise ship type shows, others were "crazy games" for adults and kids, and there is one with Mexican folkdancers performing dances from different Mexican states (including costume changes). The kids loved going to the bars or asking the servers to get all the juice/pop/concoctions they could drink without having to check with us (the 4 year old loved the Barbie Special, named for its color and the 11 year old liked the Shrek, which is the color of said ogre) at the pool, beach, and nightclub (shows).

We had a family room, so we wouldn't need 2 separate rooms (most of which do not connect) which essentially is a regular room (larger than most American hotels with a large bathroom) where they take half the balcony and turn it into an area with a bunk bed and trundle and its own tv. There is a wall to give you separation, but it doesn't reach the ceiling and there is no door - be prepared for what to expect. Also, if it is important to you for nights to be quiet, be advised: since the floors are all natural stone (sand free) you will hear hallway and street noise during the night, even though it is at the end of its own street. This didn't bother us, but we could see how it would be problematic for light sleepers.

Overall, we were quite happy with our selection. Everyone we met was happy and not complaining about anything here. We've stayed in 5 star hotels in many cities, and the service here is comparable, although not as formal. It was also fun to meet so many Canadians and Mexicans!

32  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 29, 2006

Just Returned. Super clean right from hallways to the grounds.food and service excellent.... every function is well organized and first class.
One problem is that you only have ONE CHAIR in the room. I had to sit on the bed to have my breakfast. ( room service) > requested a second chair, no way unless we moved to non ocean view room which have 2 chairs. figure that one out??
We used room service frequently as my wife had a bad back from a cab ride with a sudden stop. There was no way the front desk would provide a second chair... so I guess our next visit will be to a property that has 2 chairs for 2 guests or bring my own furniture.

5  Thank wolf2
Reviewed March 25, 2006

We stayed at this resort from March 13-20 with our 7 and 16 year old sons. We had a wonderful time and I highly recommend this resort for people travelling with little children. My 16 year old did have a great time however I think he might of had more fun if he had brought a friend. He was either to old or to young for some things. Our 7 year old loved the kids pool and their was always someone to play with. Amazing how kids don't need to speak the same language to have fun. They do sell pool toys and lifejackets at the little shop in the hotel for a good price so they can enjoy the bigger pool too.
We ate at the buffet and never did make it to any of the ala cartes. We did enjoy the buffet and never tired of the food. We did have lunches at the snack bar, which is nice so you don't need to change to go have lunch.
Our room was clean and we always had clean towels. Our room balcony was over looking the kids pool and this was never a problem.
The only problem we had and I don't know if it was a resort issue or a travel agent issue was that because our plane was leaving at 3:50a.m on Monday we had to be out of our room noon on the Sunday. We did have use of the Hospitality room which was nice, with showers however it was a very long day with kids. There is no privacy in the room and you are sharing it with other people who are leaving late as well. There is no where to lock up your luggage, so it is sitting out for everyone to go through. Other guests would come in and use the washroom. I have stayed at other resorts where they lock up your luggage. I did go through our luggage before we left and it was fine but it still made me feel uncomfortable.
A must for excuersions is the Marigalante Pirate Ship. We all had a great time on that. My oldest did the zipline in Mismaloya over the Predator movie set.. take bug spray hes still scratching. We also rented a jeep and drove the north coast to Punta De Mita and Sayulita. what a wonderful trip that was. No problems renting a vehicle and had to problems driving around.
Tino's downtown makes awesome guacamole and the biggest burritos any of us have seen. The No Name Cafe across from the Malecon is a great restraunt. Ask for a Miami Vice!!!! It is owned by a Canadian!
Overall it was a great holiday. We would stay again.

10  Thank fluff1
Reviewed March 22, 2006

My 15 year-old daughter and I stayed at this hotel with another mother/daughter. The room was sub-par. Mold all over the wall under the air-conditioning, sink drain non-funtional, toilet had to be flushed by removing the tank lid and pulling the trap by hand. The beds were the hardest imaginable and every morning we were awakened by either the Big Bird "I love you...." song coming from the kid pool, or by the power saw, welders, and hammering coming from the maintenance shed below our door. We asked repeatedly to be moved but the desk clerks said they couldn't without the manager's permission and I doubt they even checked with the manager when he did show up. We also did not receive maid service on 2 days and they never gave us wash cloths dispite repeated requests.
Various staff members and "came-on" to my daughter to the point of where she was uncomfortable unless I was at her side. The waiters and bartenders would serve her liquor even though she clearly had a wrist band on indicating she was a minor. They did, however, make the girls leave the adult-only hot tub area when they came to speak to us while we were in it.
The food was OK, Japanese restaurant was the best. We didn't get to try the Italian because of the long line you had to stand in to get reservations and we didn't want to eat at 10:30 at night. French was good one night but I got sick after eating there the second time. My daughter got sick after ordering the fajitas from room service and our 2 friends got sick from eating the hamburgers at the snack bar.
We never used the pool because of the over-crowding both in the pool and around it.
The beach was nice, very clean, chairs were hard to find unless you did the get up early and throw a towel on them like everone else did.
It might be an OK place for families with small children who are up early anyway so they could get a chair and dinner reservations but I wouldn't bring a teen-age girl again.

7  Thank mmslf
Reviewed March 22, 2006

Just got back from a three day stay with my 13 yr old daughter and my girlfriend and her 13 yr old daughter (my daughter's best friend). We booked this hotel with a package and I had read the TripAdvisor reviews to help me pick this hotel. The reviews varied widely, so I didn't know what to expect.

We loved it!!

Our two 13 yr olds had a great time. Suprisingly they really enjoyed playing in the kids pool. We noticed many bigger kids and their parents in the water there, seemingly having a great time.

The food: We found great fresh choices at the breakfast and lunch buffet every day. I suspect if we were there a week it would get old, but we're all good with fresh fruits and veggies and made to order omelettes and fresh smoothies for breakfast and fresh salads and fish, etc. for lunch. I was impressed by the quality and freshness of the fish for lunch. Ieven liked many of their hot mexican dishes for lunch. Puerto Vallarta has one of the best dining scenes of all the Mexican "resorts" I've been to (better than Cancun, Cabo, Acapulco, etc.) We ate at the hotel for dinner one night but ate out the other two (even though we bought the all inclusive). We wished we had more nights to eat out. The food was fabulous. Two recommendations: Barcelona Tapas (great view, excellent and reasonbly priced wine list) and Mariscos Polo (incredible fish, very local feeling) It would be tragic if you came to Puerto Vallarta and didn't eat ice cream (Bing's) and walk the Malecon downtown in the evening!

Rooms, staff, grounds etc. were great.

The only downside was the hard beds. The day we left someone said you could ask the front desk for a foam pad if the hard beds bothered you. I'd have done it! If they don't have foam pads, I'd walk across the street to WalMart and just buy one next time. How much could it cost??

I felt like the whole experience was great. I think more people should remember that 3 star is 3 star, not 5 star. It exceeded our expectations for a 3 star hotel.

11  Thank mountainsurfermom