“You Get What You Pay For”

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #53 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver
“You Get What You Pay For”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

You get what you pay for, everyone. You really do.. The day I booked our family of 4 to stay at this resort Feb 8-15, I paid $3900 via Nolitours, the same itinerary with WestJet was $5600. I would be absolutely livid if I had booked with WestJet. Instead, I’m disappointed in the quality of the resort, but what do you expect when you grab a bargain like this.

I have seen Crown Paradise Club ranked anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 stars. I’d give it a 3.

The rooms have been recently renovated and are just fine. The pools are very nice. They are a nice size, and the kid’s water park blows the mind of every < 10 year old in the place. But things are falling apart.

Tiles are missing all around the edge of one pool. The kid’s water park could use a paint job and the slides often end too high out of the water.

After specifically contacting Nolitours about the state of renovations at Crown Paradise Club after reading previous reviews, I was told the renos were done. They are not. Not at all.

My son tripped over an unfinished walkway covered by a loose carpet on the first day. Later that afternoon, while we lounged by a nearby pool, we were greeted to workmen chipping away at the aggregate with sledgehammers. I rolled my ankle on the last day of the trip and it's swollen to the size of an orange.

The patios for the dining room were closed because duct work was happening. There was a wet saw running the entire day right beside people trying to get relaxing beachside massages. A backhoe was churning up rocks, while crews strung electrical cords across the beach while they build a new pier.

Materials have been left strewn across the paths near eating areas, and they’re not always roped off.

Some have come here saying they saw no renos, they're lying. At sunset on Valentine's Day, crews were hammering on the decks, blowing any sense of romance the day could have had. Right in the buffet restaurant, they were drilling and cutting and making ridiculous noise.

Yes,the place needs a reno, I get that, but when I specifically asked if they were done, told they were, and they weren’t? I’m disappointed. (to their credit, Nolitours addressed this immediately when notified via twitter that things were not as promised).

The reason the resort gets a "poor" for me, however, is the food. Thefood is absolutely terrible. I was encouraged the first night to see a genuine selection of Mexican foods (including pozole), but the next night was to foreshadow what we would see every night.

Per other reviews, you will see hot dogs at every meal. The pasta buffet is there every night. The staff working the room are not really with it, especially those at the food stations (they appear maybe 16 yrs old). The kid’s section one night actually featured french bread smeared with peanut butter. The entrees were often cold. At first I said to my wife “the food is terrible, but at least you can find 1 or two things you can eat” but even that statement was generous by mid-week.

We heard of food not being cooked thoroughly, it is often recycled, and it is just not good. At all.

Breakfast is the best of the lot, but even there it fails. They have fresh smoothies, eggs made how you like them, as well as pancakes and waffles.

PRO TIP: They have bacon at breakfast, but they hide it. Ask at the omelette station and you can get some, its not out.

But the cereal selection? All sugar. Froot Loops and Cocoa Puffs were all that you could find at the kid’s table. Yes, you could go around and get yogurt, fresh fruit, and toast, but is it so hard to mix in some plain O’s?

I will say it again: the food is terrible.

But you know what? I got a good deal to come here. I had low expectations, and even they have not been met. If you pay more than $1000 a head to visit this resort, you are paying too much. Our package had kids staying / eating free, so that’s what brought the price down.

The location is wonderful (right next to the port). The beach is great. The town is gorgeous. This resort is what you pay for. Do not pay too much and come with very low expectations.

2 Thank CheGuevera
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Hola CheGuevera,

I would like to first thank you for providing us your feedback on your recent visit to Crown Paradise Club.

We’re disappointed to hear that we fell short of your expectations. We truly regret that your stay was disturbed due to renovations, and that your experience at the resort was not completely satisfactory.

I’m surprised to read that you didn’t like our food selection and quality. With 3 a la carte restaurants, international buffet, snack bars and 24hrs room service, we strive to provide many varieties for our guests’ convenience. We sincerely apologize if your preferences were not met.

I hope you will honor us by giving us a second chance to make a better impression the next time you are visiting Puerto Vallarta.

Katarina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Bc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Great place for kids- safe- beautiful and hot! 3 things- please make all beds bigger our 2 beds did not meet requirements of 6'3 hubby and above average 9 and 10 year old kids.2.Guacamole please at buffets and snack bars readily available. Also, 3.refrigeration in all rooms. That's all. I had a great time but will not be back unless these 3 improvements are met within the price I paid and would pay in the future.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank renderty
Hola renderty,

We appreciate you recent visit to our resort and your opinion about it.

You can be assured that your constructive feedback will be taken into consideration as it will, no doubt, help us intensify our efforts and improve our services for our guests.

Thank you for posting!

Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed at the resort from Feb 7 to the 14th. Upon our arrival we went straight to the buffet, it was a very nice lunch that day. I even commented to the manager of the resort, he told us to make sure and book the a la carte restaurants as well. To book the a la carte restaurants you have to call someone, you can not stand in a line and you can only book 1 day in advance. That was different.

The 1st a la carte restaurant we booked was the Italian - we were extremely disappointed with it. I had a spinach salad - which was good and the lasagna which was okay. Someone in our group was going to order a pizza but changed there mind once they found out that is was going to be the same pizza that is served at the buffet. The soup was cold and brought out with the main course. The pork was so over done you could not eat it. The group thought they had cooked a pork roast, sliced it and recooked it for this main course.

The 2nd a la carte restaurant we booked was the Japanese - it was really good. We tried several of the dishes and we were impressed with it.

We also booked one of the a la carte restaurants offsite - Si Senor - a little hard to find since we took the bus downtown, but we did find it. This was a very nice restaurant and we all had very nice meals. We would recommend it.

The buffet restaurant it seems they were serving the same meals at lunch and supper, and every day - there was no real variety. We have travelled to Cuba, Dominic Republic and Mexico and we have never experience this type of a buffet. There has always been some variety to the food, even theme nights - which is always nice to have that little bit of variety. The food in Cuba was better than this resort.

If this resort could do something better with their buffet, I think they could be a 4 star resort, but not currently.

We travelled with another family and both of our boys are 6 years old. The boys like the water park for 2 days and then they did not want to do that anymore, but there was a few more pools to choose from. We had a lot of fun just playing in the other pools.

The rooms, grounds and staff were very good, the food brings the resort down to the poor review. The room was clean. The only problem we had with the room was that cigarette smoke came into our room when we ran our air conditioner but only at certain times. We think that the duct work to our room was connected to another room where they were smoking, because once we turned off the a/c and opened the patio door it was fine.
The grounds were well maintained and there was a little bit of construction going on. The construction did not really bother us. The construction just shows they are trying to improve the resort and there will never be a good time to do it.
The staff work very hard and are always friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hola MaryBrownW,

Firstly, I’d like to thank you for giving us your opinion on your recent visit to Crown Paradise Club.

We noticed you found the facilities, the rooms and the service to your liking, and are glad to hear you overall enjoyed your stay with your family, but we are very much concerned you mentioning the food to be quite unsatisfactory.
We strongly encourage our guests to let us know if they’re having any issues during their stay.

We consider the tastes of all our guests being form different parts of the world, that’s why we have a weekly menu at the Buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner that changes daily.

I truly appreciate your feedback and will be sure to follow up on your comments concerning the services you suggest we should improve, and if you consider giving us another opportunity, we’ll make sure to show you our improvements on your next visit.

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

Not sure where the "paradise" part comes from! Just ending my 1 week family getaway at this resort. I will break it down.

Service: is actually ok from a "customer service standpoint"

Value: Is horrible. The buffet is what I would expect you would find in a prison (slop) that is, if you are from Canada or USA and are used to a certain level of quality. Serious attention needed in the buffet. The a la carte restaurant (Japanese one) was actually not bad. We gave up and ate off site most of the time. We paid approx. $1500 AI from Air Canada. I would not give them $750 to do it again.

Sleep quality: I would compare it to Motel 6 at best. Has what you need, but do not expect much more. Bare bones. Don't try and go for an afternoon nap.....the place is under FULL CONSTRUCTION!!! not just one area, everywhere! From sledgehammers to jackhammers, scaffold up everywhere, etc. unbelievable that this much construction is going on in the heart of busy season and so much at once. WOW!

Cleanliness: This was not too bad, nothing over the top but ok.

Location: Ok, nothing major. $5 cab ride to the Malecon.

Rooms: As mentioned, bare bones. Do not believe this is anything more than a 3 star (at the very best)

Kids activities: I give them a thumbs up for this dept. Has more than the average resort and caters strongly to families. Kudos on that one.

Spa: Did not use and cannot comment.

Overall, barely a 3 star if that. Food is brutal, construction is full steam ahead and they should be closed during this extensive renovation, resort is run down.

If you are Canadian or American and looking for value, you have much better choices than this hotel. I have stayed at the Buenaventura and it is a far superior resort and priced the same.

Will not be back to this resort, however Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful, safe, fun filled city.

3 Thank Shootinitstraight
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Hola Shootinitstraight,

Thank you for taking the time in posting your comments on your recent stay with us.
Crown Paradise Club has been a favorite for guests especially traveling with children, where we offer a wide variety of activities that few or no other hotel has.
Our goal is to have all guests have a most memorable stay, and come back year after year, but sometimes guests preferences are not met.
We regret to hear that this was your case, and that you felt we failed to meet your expectations.

We would love to have the opportunity to be your hosts once more and show you our improvements, as these important changes are meant to be for the benefit of our valuable guests.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

This was our first time travelling with our kids, ages 6 and 9, and can't say enough about the resort. The Rooms are nicely renovated and our room had a balcony facing the water park with a partial ocean view. The beds are a bit hard, but didn't affect our sleep too much. The resort isn't too small or too large...just perfect. We travelled with a friend and her two kids and we felt comfortable letting the kids go off on their own to the room, to get food or drinks (the kids frozen drink menu was really great and the kids LOVED it).

The water park is very cool and I would say suited for ages 3-6...the older girls had fun in it a few times, for short periods whereas the younger boys played in it for hours and hours. The infinity pool was our favorite. You have a beautiful view of the ocean and can also enjoy the much needed breeze! The pool by the buffet was warmer, but being more sheltered, very hot during the day. We did hang out in the adults only Jacuzzi a few times and really enjoyed J. Pedro's drink making skills!!

The buffet was pretty good. There was a mix of American and Mexican dishes which did repeat throughout the week, but I found that by watching how others were filling their plates, you could come up with endless possibilities. For example...they always had tortillas, soft and deep fried, that you could top with refried beans, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and meat...but all of these things were scattered throughout the buffet. The omelet station was fantastic (hint: they have strips of bacon at this station, but you have to ask for it as it is behind the counter). They also have a smoothie station every morning. We would have liked to seen guacamole and Fresh fruit offered at each meal...and more salsa. We joked that maybe there was a tomato shortage as there was usually only a small bowl of it at each meal.

The snack bar was a hit with the kids. Nachos and Cheese, hamburgers, hotdogs, etc. They grilled burgers each day, which were amazing. And endless ice cream cones there as well!

We ate at all 3 a la cartes and enjoyed them all...so much it would be hard to pick a favorite! The nice thing was that we were able to book each restaurant as many times as we wanted. We ate at the Japanese twice. The Italian was amazing and the French had CHEESE FONDUE...need I say more :)

We met at least 2 families who had come to this resort 5 times, which I think says a lot. The staff was amazing. Our favorite server was Imelda and she made sure we had drinks all day long, whether we were by the infinity pool or on the sand by the ocean.

Before booking our trip, I was obsessed with reading the reviews for EVERY resort we looked at going. I am so glad we still choose to come here even after seeing some of the reviews. I figured the unhappy people were probably due to the construction, which was pretty much finished when we were there.

We would definitely come back!

4 Thank Jodiella
Hola Jodiella,

We always love to hear when our guests say they would definitely come back!

Thank you for sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor readers. I’m sure they’ll appreciate your detailed review on the hotel’s facilities and amenities, especially regarding the food selection, and restaurant choices.

We appreciate your kind comments on the service, and I can only say on behalf of all the team at CPC, it would be our pleasure to host you again!

Greetings from the sunny Pto Vallarta,
Swift Current, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

The hotel was good for the most part but one brochure said there would be drinking water provided in each room daily. In fact this was not true and they wanted 75 pesos per day for drinking water. There was no coffee maker in the room although this was listed on the web page. There were no glasses in the room and if we took some up from the bar, the cleaning staff removed them daily.

Although the food was acceptable, there was no variety, we basically had the same menu for every day of our two weeks. There was an adults only hot tub and pool but too often the bar tenders did not enforce it and kids were allowed in the hot tub. Be aware that pedlars will be on the beach and be constantly approaching you to buy stuff. There was no fridge in the room and this would have been nice for beer and wine bought off the resort.

The Nitro Club was so loud we couldn't hear anything. They need to turn the volume down a notch to make it more enjoyable.

The hotel is close to shopping and tours. Very easy to get downtown and see the city. The staff was very good and very helpful.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dlpilon
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Hola dlpilon,

Thank you for visiting us and taking the time to write about your experience.

We’re happy to hear our location worked best for you, and that you were pleased with the service and found the staff very helpful.

Our guests are provided with one bottle of water per week, and they can purchase additional bottles for a small fee, I’m very sorry if there was any confusion regarding this.
In reference to the coffee maker, have you commented it to our front desk? I’m sure they would have sent one to your room.

We apologize for not fulfilling your expectations entirely and would like to invite you to visit us again, as we would love to make your stay a truly memorable experience.

Kind regards,
Barrhead, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

This was our third time back to Crown Paradise Club and as always we had a great time. The hotel is very clean, the staff are very friendly, It is a family hotel in every way. No late night parties, no loud music. Great pool for the kids, small swing set and jungle gym. The new infinity pool is great, yes a bit cool, but nice to cool off after being in the hot sun. The third pool is very comfortable in temperature. The ladies in the kids club are fantastic.
Pew are happy to see adult only pool moved to other side of property. If you are looking for adult night out the Nitro Club is just across street and owned by Crown Paradise all drinks free with your stay.

The food at buffet is good, they have a good variety to choose from. Always fresh fruit, pasta dishes, fish, fresh veggies, salads and meat, soups are great. A variety of Mexican and American cuisine. The other three restaurants on propriety good as well.

The hotel is currently undergoing renovations and we can say we had no problems getting around the hotel with the construction going on, hardly any noise, the crews stop work before supper. The renovations are bringing a fresh look to the hotel. It will look great when finished.

Thanks again Crown Paradise for a fantastic vacation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family