“For Families and Mexican Nationals” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #53 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Grants Pass, Oregon
“For Families and Mexican Nationals”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

3/18/13 If I knew then what I know NOW this would not even made the list of places to stay. If price is all your looking for this might be the place for you.Within 5 min the Time Share Shark were out feeding. with a quick NO Gracias 3 or 4 times you can get away. The first meal at The Buffet was at best the most bland meal I have ever eaten. The drinks were average and took for ever to get ,,,,unless you were Mexican which seemed to always get what they need first evn though you had been sitting well before them. I did fiqure out that Breakfast was best when you ordered Room Service at 7:00 A.M. Also at 9:00 call down to get a reserved table at one of the 3 resturants then head down to the beach. At 4;00 P.M. when you here a big YEA!!!! by the big pool don't go over because when the pool staff askes where your from and if your from America your going to hear the biggest BOOO ever!! and that was our first impression of this place. Won't EVER go Back.

Room Tip: Breakfast Only Room Service, Dinner only by reservation, Entertainment NONE.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were at the Crown Paradise for March break as a family reunion with 6 adults, 3 kids and a baby. We all had a fantastic time swimming in the pools, playing in the kids water-park area, playing tennis, playing soccer on the beach, playing shuffle board and bowling with the kids, sunbathing by the pool and beach, and having lots of lovely cocktails!!

This resort is definitely more 3* than 4*, however we didn't have any complaints. The rooms were a decent size and perfect for us with 3 kids. We chose the family suite and were disappointed to overlook the street, however the hotel offered to change us to a 2-bedded room with a view if we preferred. We stayed with our original choice, as the family suite worked well for us, due to each child having their own bed and us having a king-size bed plus a fridge :) Tip for the hotel - maybe consider having some family sites with nice views?? Room was always clean and the ac worked fine, but we preferred the breeze from the open balcony door.

The food was good, and we didn't have any complaints. The buffet restaurant was plentiful with lots of variety .. we did eat at the 3 a la carte restaurants also, and were very impressed. The beach snack bar with fresh burgers and salads was our fave lunch venue.

We went into Puerto Vallarta on the bus one day and really enjoyed ourselves. The people are so friendly and very helpful. We also swam with dolphins in Nuevo Vallarta another day, and had a fantastic day there too. Very close to a grocery store and Walmart and the mall, if you need to check email (free wifi at the mall, as the hotel is very expensive).

Overall this was fabulous holiday. If it were just my husband and I, then maybe we would have chosen a different resort, but with kids, this was perfect. Our boys said this was the best vacation ever!! We felt very safe there, and let the boys do their own thing with some of the activities, and they loved the kiddie cocktails they could get themselves each day. We were very pleased with our choice of hotel and would recommend it for families.

2 Thank Michelle L
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during March Break, and it more or less met expectations (after reading plenty of reviews, I was expecting a 3-star caliber hotel).

Hotel / Rooms
As many have said in their reviews, the rooms are not fancy, but ours was very clean and had a partial ocean view. AC was good, no issues with hot water, beds were fine. Could have done without the screaming kids at 6:30am in the hallways - one kid went on screaming for about 30 minutes straight...who parents these kids?

Waterpark / Pool
Our son didn't spend alot of time in the waterpark, he preferred the main pool or the beach. There is a air nozzle right at the waterpark to blow up inflatable toys - look for the spongebob mural and it is right beside it. Lots of kids were in the waterpark, so it was quite popular. The main pool is heated which is quite nice and is 4 feet deep all around, so good for kids.

Beach
Beach is nice and sandy, but not really very good for kids to go swimming - strong under current, and most days pretty strong waves. As mentioned, lots of vendors on the beach, However, a fair number of vacationers were buying items from them, so hard to fault the vendors for being there. Lots of loungers - so you shouldn't have any trouble getting a spot even if you don't play the early morning towel game.

I have to say the buffet could stand a good deal of improvement. Thankfully they have the 3 a la carte restaurants, as I don't think I could have taken the buffet for dinner every night. The breakfast buffet was the best - good omelettes, french toast, pancakes, waffles. Although I have never been to a breakfast buffet that didn't have bacon (even in Cuba!). They kept a small stash of bacon strips by the omelette stations but you had to know to ask, and often they ran out. Lunch we mostly stuck to the snack bar and it was fine - hamburgers, hotdogs, various things dipped in batter and deep fried; a small "salad bar" of sorts.

And I have to echo the sentiments on the ever-present wiener dishes. Cutting up wieners and putting them in a steam tray does not make them "sausages". Putting wieners in a crusty tortilla does not make them "pigs in a blanket". I don't know if this hotel has stock in the local wiener factory, but enough of the wieners - breakfast lunch and dinner.

The a la carte restaurants were pretty good. We ate at all three, and thought they served very decent food. Again, thankfully they had 3 decent a la carte restaurants, as I don't think I could have stood the buffet for dinner the whole week.

A couple other tips - there is a grocery store about 3-4 minutes away. Take a right leaving the hotel and that the first left up a side street and you will reach the grocery store in about 2 min. They also have supplies such as sun screen, towels, etc... Also there is a local flea market about 3 minutes away if you take a left when leaving the hotel. Be ready to barter.

The staff were also pretty great. Friendly and a couple of them went out of their way to help with something. We had a good enough time, and if the price were right we would consider coming back again.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a basic hotel, nothing fancy, just the essentials - clean rooms (dated, but who stays in their room on vacation?), good coffee, good breakfasts, sunshine, heat, and very happy children. Easy to get off the resort to see other sites in Puerto Vallarta, safe, and did I mention the sunshine and happy children? We walked the beach every day, went to the market next to us, got off the resort a couple of times, enjoyed just hanging out in the sunshine.
The price is good, PV is lovely, safe hotel, just an all around good place to stay. 3 families went down - 7 children in the group. The children went from pool to pool, shuffleboard to beach, pool bar to beach bar to enjoy the sweet drinks with marshmallows on top. They enjoyed the beach grill, the buffet and all thought the French restaurant was fantastic! I personally didn't have high expectations - I just was happy to be going to sunshine in PV. I was very pleased with the resort. Very fun trip.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the quiet 'cold' pool in the courtyard and the balcony overlooked the ki...
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is in my opinion, a 3 to 3 and half star hotel.

We stayed at this hotel from Feb 25 to Mar 4, 2013 and had a great time and met some amazing people. We researched this hotel before hand, so we knew it wasn't a five star hotel, so there were no surprises. The food at this hotel was decent, I never went to bed hungry. Compared to Cuba it was good.

Our room was dated but functional. The only negative for me were the beds, mine was really hard. I had a hard time sleeping past 4 or 5 in the morning. Other than that, the room was really clean and worked well for my family.

The pools were really fun and we had no issues but ended up using the main pool more than the kids pirate pool. We would spend hours swimming and socializing with people from all over Canada and the US. The resort has an amazing server named Ofelia who took care of all our drinking needs. We didn't even have to ask for more drinks, she would just keep bringing them. I did tip her well everyday and I am sure this helped but I believe in tipping for good service.

We did all of the restaurants except the French and thought they were ok. We liked the Italian the best and enjoyed the caesar salad a lot. The buffet was decent and always had something to eat and it was always hot. The coffee was hit and miss most days and the OJ was great.

The shows were fun but really confusing how the put them together but all in all a good time to hang out with family and friends that we met. The animation staff was really good and always organized certain games throughout the day. I believe it is important to get involved and the vacation will be much better.

We always took a daily walk down the beach and really enjoyed checking out other hotels and condo's along the way. We also walked down the beach to Starbucks to catch up on emails and a nice cup of coffee. They have free wifi and it is only a ten minute walk from the hotel by the beach or road. We also bought a lot of pool toys and alcohol from Soriano's and the kids loved the donuts from the bakery inside.

We went downtown 3 times during our trip, twice by the bus, and we really fell in love with Puerto Vallarta. We ate at Pipi's twice during our stay and must say that it was great food and so much fun. We also got pulled into a mime show on the Malecon which was funny and quite the experience. We never felt unsafe during our trip to Puerto Vallarta and the locals were always accommodating and helpful to use.

We also didn't have any issue with the time share sharks at the airport, we just said no thanks and kept on moving.

In the end, the Crown Paradise is a great hotel if you know what you are getting. It is a budget friendly family type resort that in my opinion was reasonably priced. It is super clean, fun but not fancy. The lobby is lacking but instead of focusing on the negative we chose to enjoy the resort for what it is, not we it could be. We were in Mexico and had an amazing time and enjoyed the vacation. We met great people and we go back to Puerto Vallarta in a heart beat but we would try a different resort. Not because of any huge faults, just to experience something different.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Room Tip: We faced the kids pool, room 431 and 432. Beds were hard but you could see the ocean
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank rpearson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

After extensively reviewing this resort I booked my family of 4 in for 10 days. Many reviews warned of the poor food but we thought maybe these were just "picky eaters". We were wrong and the previous reviewers were correct. It's not a matter of being picky and not liking what they served, it was that their food and their food handling is of very poor quality. We phoned our travel company and asked to be moved to another resort after our 4yr old and 6 yr old both ended up in the San Javier Marina hospital with a diagnosis of an "intestinal virus" most likely caused by food poisoning (Dr's words, not mine. However I agree whole heartedly). My 4 yr old couldn't even keep down water she was so sick.

When I booked I didn't expect 5 star or even 4 star food at this resort. I did however expect to be able to serve food to my kids that was edible. We were continuously served raw hamburgers at the snack bar and when I asked the staff to cook them longer they either didn't understand what I was saying (somewhat understandable) or they didn't care. At one point I put the patties back on the grill myself and the staff just picked them up right away and gave them to the next person in line. Disgusting!

Even worse is how the plastic cups at the bars are cleaned...by being rinsed in tap water and then dunked in tub of some sort of water/cleaning solution. No soap, no scrubbing, no hot water. Their standards of cleanliness are as poor as their food handling standards.

Our room appeared to be clean but I discovered tiny little ants in our bathroom crawling along the mirror. I didn't think too much of it at first. But when I went to give my daughters their fever medicine there was a swarm of ants all along the side of the bottle and the inside of the box. What started as 2 or 3 ants had quickly turned into about 20 to 30 all over the medicine I needed to administer orally to a 4 and 6 yr old.

The A/C worked in our first floor room ran on either high or off. We were either sweltering or freezing. There was no happy medium.

The grounds of the resort are very well kept but there were a lot of stray animals roaming. We saw 2 different cats and a small dog wandered onto the property from off the beach.

There are very few good things to say about this resort. The pool was warm and the waterpark was hit with our kids but they didn't get to use them that much because they were so sick. We didn't use the kids club so I can't comment on it but it didn't look like much more than a colouring station.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jo B
Wausau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Our family (wife and I along with three girls- 2,4,9) had a great experience at this resort. An average day went like this- morning breakfast at the buffet (homemade omelettes, plenty of local options, pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit- all very, very good- staff extremely helpful, kind, and all spoke English), play time at the waterpark (my daughters do not speak spanish yet our 4 year old found playmates that played for hours- they spoke spanish, she spoke english, yet somehow it worked) and beach (not great for swimming but awesome for wave jumping), lunch at the fast buffet (not the inside buffet but the beachfront food court- get the hamburgers- grilled fresh in front of you and delicious), play at the pool and beach (again, easy for the kids to find friends- plenty of English speaking Canadians and Americans, plus locals), then get ready for dinner. Both the Italian and Japenses restaurants were great. Evening ended with the kids playing in the sand while we sipped cocktails. At nine a family friedly show takes place- either a dance, karaoke, or one night was a fantastic disney dance show. Plenty of people enjoy the shows and they do activities to get the kids involved. Our 4 and 9 year old were on the stage every night. Even dad made it one night- sadly losing a Mexican hat dance to a local (unfair!)
The bars have a great selection- no worries.
Would be five but the condition of the rooms is a bit dated, not uncomfortable but some minor maintenance issues.
Taxi to the malecon is inexpensive- a must do. Family loved it. Great trip and highly recommend it to those with kids.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family