“a family gathering”

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #45 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I had some reservations to booking at The Crown Paradise (formaly The Playa De Oro.) because of the experience I had 25 years ago. Boy have things changed in this Hotel and in all of Puerto Vallarta. This Hotel is great for young children ages 4 to 12. They have their own pool with slides a plenty and exactly 1 foot deep. We were a family of 14 ranging fromn 4 to 71 years old. You had to dig deep to find something to complain about. You're in Mexico. If you want "perfect"....stay home. The rooms were clean, the entire outside areas were swept daily, the pools were cleaned daily, the staff very friendly, the check in and out went without a hitch and it was quick. The bartenders poured singles to tripples when asked. Tipping is suggested for better service.
Our group went whale watching, fishing, swimming with the dolphins, zip lineing, salsa dancing, bar hopping, evening cruising on the pirate ship, snokling, jet skiing and of course shopping. all without a hitch and all booked through the Hotel
The food in the buffet was very good (and hot) although by the end of the week it was getting very predictable. The French and Italian a-la carte restaurants were excellent. We did not care for the japanese as much. Collared shirts required.
The Beach? raked daily of cig. butts and debris....very clean. Good chairs and shady palapas. The beach bar and outdoor buffet very close at hand. Hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and salsa, french fries and the like were great. Kids heaven.
When in a beach resort in Mexico expect the beach vendors, but in The Crown Paradise expect them every 20 seconds. They are relentless.
I took my kids and grandkids on a vacation they would long remember. The Crown Paradise was perfect in that regard. Will I go back to the Crown...my wife and I..?....I think not. We may return to Puerto Vallarta but we will go to a place more adult oriented. Take the kids and have fun

6  Thank ron5905
Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We just got back from Crown Paradise and it was awsome. We went with our two daughters which are 10 and 13. The activities group was awsome. They had games for kids and teens and even tequila volleyball for the adults. The food was good, even if you're a fussy eater there is always something that you`ll like. The staff was very friendly and courteous. The bartenders were great and were always making new drinks for you to try. The hotel was very clean, there was always someone cleaning and our room was spotless. This is the perfect family destination for families. if anyone has a bad revue for this place then they must be very fussy. We definitely recommend Crown Paradise Club to our friends and family.

8  Thank Roxane S
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I returned from the Crown Paradise Club about an hour ago. The hotel is really a 3 but with beach access it becomes a 4. The beach is good for sun tanning but really not that great to swim because if you walk on the sand into the water you travel about 8 feet before your feet hit the rocks and they are rough. There are no beach amenities that do not cost you money, $50 and hour for the Hobby Cats (which aren't real Hobby Cats but large knock offs). Beach hawkers are everywhere and fairly agressive. The food is on par with a three star. Every time you turned around someone was trying to do the "Time Share" routine that "Isn't Time Share".
The "pounding" surf drove us nuts, the rattling water pipes kept us awake, etc. Nice sunsets.

Room Tip: Go to Angel for anything you need in a hurry ... he's without a doubt the best asset I found dow...
3  Thank Skip&Fran
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We just came back from our two weeks stay at Crown Paradise. We had a good time. We traveled with two girls 8 and 6 yo. Hotel is everything you can expect from 4 star. This is definitely place for families. Unfortunately kids club is the worst part. Lazy staff will not entertain your kids. Your kid will be placed in front of tv with a spanish cartoon on, while staff will enjoy gossiping also in spanish. We left our kids at the kids club as a form of punishment and for that reason it is OK. Hotel is old but clean, staff generally friendly, beach is sandy and safe for little kids. If you have reasonable expectations you will enjoy this place.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I and our 4 year old went here Jan 2013 and upon arriving it took a long time to check in then once we got to the room we had to switch because the beds were single and not double and there was mold, so our next room had bigger beds bud still had mold and no hot water in the shower so we changed again!!!!! This room had a King bed and hot water. The food was not hot - we lived on toast for breakfast and went to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner.

The water park was awesome, the beach front was nice (if you don`t mind being pesered all day to buy whatever they are selling), the grounds were kept beautiful and all the staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful.

6  Thank Gravedigger44
Reviewed January 19, 2013

After reading the many varied reviews of this resort, I was a little apprehensive, but I have to say I thought it was great. Many of the fears I had turned out not be the slightest bit true. Was it perfect and high luxury?? No, but that's not what I expected.

The staff were excellent. All were friendly and helpful. I think it's important to remember that in Mexico you need to tip in order to keep the service good. As long as you throw a buck or so at the person who serves you a drink or waits on your table, you won't have any issues. The bartenders were very generous with their drinks, and in fact they had a great selection of kids "mocktails".

The beach, palapas, and loungers were all in good condition, clean, and in good supply. There are a lot of beach vendors but... well... you're in Mexico. They were all respectful if you said "no thanks", and were friendly and helpful if you were interested in anything. If you want a good deal on a day-trip, I'd recommend "Marco Polo"... He's got the best deals in town!

Our room (standard) was great. The beds were the most comfortable hotel beds I think I've ever slept in (and we were there for 2 weeks)!! Housekeeping did a great job cleaning every day. In fact, the entire resort was extremely clean. The AC worked great, the bathroom was huge, and the shower was excellent.

The food at the buffet restaurant was very good, with quite a wide variety of items. Some could be made to order, such as omelettes and scrambled eggs for breakfast, grilled sandwiches and tacos for lunch, and various dinner items for dinner. The a la Carte restaurants were good too... particularly the Italian and French ones. I wasn't as keen on the Japanese one. There were also the snack bar, hamburger stand, hot dog stand, and sometimes a taco stand set up around the beach or pools for snacks throughout the day. My kids loved the fact that there was non-stop ice cream cones at the snack bar! There was certainly no shortage of food they were eager to serve you.

There were many activities available to do throughout the day and evening. Some were organized, with a recreation leader (like water polo, yoga and aerobics), and others were just available to do whenever you wanted (beach volleyball, ping-pong, shuffleboard, tennis). Every evening there were kids activities organized too, like some kind of show.

My complaints are few and all fairly minor. I wish wifi was included free, rather than costing $10-$20 per day depending on how many days you buy at once. The wifi, once purchased, was excellent though. Fast and strong. Accessible all over the resort... even on the beach! The booking process for the a la Carte restaurants is a little silly, and they totally under-book, but I understand that's a common thing in All-Inclusives. Last, we were there for New Years, and the organization around that was a complete gong-show. I won't get into the details, but the party itself was amazing, and the firework show put some Canada Day ceremonies I've attended to shame, but the organization definitely needed some work!

If you're considering this resort and you've got kids in the 4-12 years range, it's a great one. If you don't have kids, or they're much older, many of the features and activities in this resort probably won't appeal to you!

Room Tip: Stay away from the "Family Suites". I didn't have one, but the talk around the resort...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank James P
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We recently got home from a trip to Puerto Vallarta. I was a little nervous since the reviews for this resort are very mixed. If you are not expecting high class accomodations and food, you'll be fine. Our room was clean, no one got sick, the grounds are clean and pretty, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The resort was not very busy when we were there and the energy level seemed a bit low compared to the last resort we stayed at; the staff had trouble finding people to participate in their games and activities, the music was often quiet and calm, kids club was empty, etc. The buffet has plenty of food, though it's not fabulous. The Japanese restaurant was good, the beach snack bar had good burgers and some other snacks, and I enjoyed the drinks I ordered. The beach does not have white sand but it is quite nice. I had my young kids there so relaxing on the beach wasn't really happening anyway, but it was difficult for those who did want to relax because the number of locals selling things on the beach is insane. They take "no" well but you are asked if you want to buy things literally atleast every 30 secs-1 minute (seriously). We took a Taxi downtown and enjoyed shopping at the markets. Make sure you negotiate Taxi rates. There is a grocery store across the street and a Walmart a few blocks away if you need anything. We also ended up agreeing to go "see" another hotel in exchange for very low cost dolphin encounter tickets. People downtown were offerring these "deals" w/o really explaining what they were offerring. It was a waste of time but the dolphin encounter and waterpark were fun. The shows at the Crown Paradise (which are held accross the street in the Nitro Club) were pretty cheesy. The last night we were there was the show with Disney characters. It was cute and my daughter was asked to be in the show so that was exciting. Kids Club is available but my kids were the only ones there most of the time (they only went an hour a day). The activities there are limited and my girls got bored with it, but it is there if you want to use it. All the staff who are required to interact with guests speak and understand English quite well. All in all, this is not a high class resort for singles/couples, but it o.k. for families and we had fun. I would like to try other resorts, but if the price is right again sometime in the future, I would go back. For those people who wrote terrible reviews of this resort, I will say that it is not terrible and will only be a huge disappointment if you are expecting fancy rooms and high quality food. Seriously, I don't know how some people rate it as horrible, but I guess those people have fancier taste than we do:) Oh, and as far as rooms, they are small and nothing fancy for sure but they were o.k. We got a cot because the five of us couldn't fit in 2 double beds. The beds were comfortable enough but the pillows were not good.

Room Tip: We did not ask to be upgraded to a family room because I heard that those rooms face the parking lot...
8  Thank Tracy G