“Amazing!!”

Ranked #47 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We just got back from Crown Paradise and it was awsome. We went with our two daughters which are 10 and 13. The activities group was awsome. They had games for kids and teens and even tequila volleyball for the adults. The food was good, even if you're a fussy eater there is always something that you`ll like. The staff was very friendly and courteous. The bartenders were great and were always making new drinks for you to try. The hotel was very clean, there was always someone cleaning and our room was spotless. This is the perfect family destination for families. if anyone has a bad revue for this place then they must be very fussy. We definitely recommend Crown Paradise Club to our friends and family.

8 Thank Roxane S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Canada (Vancouver Island)
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I returned from the Crown Paradise Club about an hour ago. The hotel is really a 3 but with beach access it becomes a 4. The beach is good for sun tanning but really not that great to swim because if you walk on the sand into the water you travel about 8 feet before your feet hit the rocks and they are rough. There are no beach amenities that do not cost you money, $50 and hour for the Hobby Cats (which aren't real Hobby Cats but large knock offs). Beach hawkers are everywhere and fairly agressive. The food is on par with a three star. Every time you turned around someone was trying to do the "Time Share" routine that "Isn't Time Share".
The "pounding" surf drove us nuts, the rattling water pipes kept us awake, etc. Nice sunsets.

Room Tip: Go to Angel for anything you need in a hurry ... he's without a doubt the best asset I found dow...
3 Thank Skip&Fran
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We just came back from our two weeks stay at Crown Paradise. We had a good time. We traveled with two girls 8 and 6 yo. Hotel is everything you can expect from 4 star. This is definitely place for families. Unfortunately kids club is the worst part. Lazy staff will not entertain your kids. Your kid will be placed in front of tv with a spanish cartoon on, while staff will enjoy gossiping also in spanish. We left our kids at the kids club as a form of punishment and for that reason it is OK. Hotel is old but clean, staff generally friendly, beach is sandy and safe for little kids. If you have reasonable expectations you will enjoy this place.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I and our 4 year old went here Jan 2013 and upon arriving it took a long time to check in then once we got to the room we had to switch because the beds were single and not double and there was mold, so our next room had bigger beds bud still had mold and no hot water in the shower so we changed again!!!!! This room had a King bed and hot water. The food was not hot - we lived on toast for breakfast and went to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner.

The water park was awesome, the beach front was nice (if you don`t mind being pesered all day to buy whatever they are selling), the grounds were kept beautiful and all the staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful.

6 Thank Gravedigger44
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2013

After reading the many varied reviews of this resort, I was a little apprehensive, but I have to say I thought it was great. Many of the fears I had turned out not be the slightest bit true. Was it perfect and high luxury?? No, but that's not what I expected.

The staff were excellent. All were friendly and helpful. I think it's important to remember that in Mexico you need to tip in order to keep the service good. As long as you throw a buck or so at the person who serves you a drink or waits on your table, you won't have any issues. The bartenders were very generous with their drinks, and in fact they had a great selection of kids "mocktails".

The beach, palapas, and loungers were all in good condition, clean, and in good supply. There are a lot of beach vendors but... well... you're in Mexico. They were all respectful if you said "no thanks", and were friendly and helpful if you were interested in anything. If you want a good deal on a day-trip, I'd recommend "Marco Polo"... He's got the best deals in town!

Our room (standard) was great. The beds were the most comfortable hotel beds I think I've ever slept in (and we were there for 2 weeks)!! Housekeeping did a great job cleaning every day. In fact, the entire resort was extremely clean. The AC worked great, the bathroom was huge, and the shower was excellent.

The food at the buffet restaurant was very good, with quite a wide variety of items. Some could be made to order, such as omelettes and scrambled eggs for breakfast, grilled sandwiches and tacos for lunch, and various dinner items for dinner. The a la Carte restaurants were good too... particularly the Italian and French ones. I wasn't as keen on the Japanese one. There were also the snack bar, hamburger stand, hot dog stand, and sometimes a taco stand set up around the beach or pools for snacks throughout the day. My kids loved the fact that there was non-stop ice cream cones at the snack bar! There was certainly no shortage of food they were eager to serve you.

There were many activities available to do throughout the day and evening. Some were organized, with a recreation leader (like water polo, yoga and aerobics), and others were just available to do whenever you wanted (beach volleyball, ping-pong, shuffleboard, tennis). Every evening there were kids activities organized too, like some kind of show.

My complaints are few and all fairly minor. I wish wifi was included free, rather than costing $10-$20 per day depending on how many days you buy at once. The wifi, once purchased, was excellent though. Fast and strong. Accessible all over the resort... even on the beach! The booking process for the a la Carte restaurants is a little silly, and they totally under-book, but I understand that's a common thing in All-Inclusives. Last, we were there for New Years, and the organization around that was a complete gong-show. I won't get into the details, but the party itself was amazing, and the firework show put some Canada Day ceremonies I've attended to shame, but the organization definitely needed some work!

If you're considering this resort and you've got kids in the 4-12 years range, it's a great one. If you don't have kids, or they're much older, many of the features and activities in this resort probably won't appeal to you!

Room Tip: Stay away from the "Family Suites". I didn't have one, but the talk around the resort...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank James P
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We recently got home from a trip to Puerto Vallarta. I was a little nervous since the reviews for this resort are very mixed. If you are not expecting high class accomodations and food, you'll be fine. Our room was clean, no one got sick, the grounds are clean and pretty, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The resort was not very busy when we were there and the energy level seemed a bit low compared to the last resort we stayed at; the staff had trouble finding people to participate in their games and activities, the music was often quiet and calm, kids club was empty, etc. The buffet has plenty of food, though it's not fabulous. The Japanese restaurant was good, the beach snack bar had good burgers and some other snacks, and I enjoyed the drinks I ordered. The beach does not have white sand but it is quite nice. I had my young kids there so relaxing on the beach wasn't really happening anyway, but it was difficult for those who did want to relax because the number of locals selling things on the beach is insane. They take "no" well but you are asked if you want to buy things literally atleast every 30 secs-1 minute (seriously). We took a Taxi downtown and enjoyed shopping at the markets. Make sure you negotiate Taxi rates. There is a grocery store across the street and a Walmart a few blocks away if you need anything. We also ended up agreeing to go "see" another hotel in exchange for very low cost dolphin encounter tickets. People downtown were offerring these "deals" w/o really explaining what they were offerring. It was a waste of time but the dolphin encounter and waterpark were fun. The shows at the Crown Paradise (which are held accross the street in the Nitro Club) were pretty cheesy. The last night we were there was the show with Disney characters. It was cute and my daughter was asked to be in the show so that was exciting. Kids Club is available but my kids were the only ones there most of the time (they only went an hour a day). The activities there are limited and my girls got bored with it, but it is there if you want to use it. All the staff who are required to interact with guests speak and understand English quite well. All in all, this is not a high class resort for singles/couples, but it o.k. for families and we had fun. I would like to try other resorts, but if the price is right again sometime in the future, I would go back. For those people who wrote terrible reviews of this resort, I will say that it is not terrible and will only be a huge disappointment if you are expecting fancy rooms and high quality food. Seriously, I don't know how some people rate it as horrible, but I guess those people have fancier taste than we do:) Oh, and as far as rooms, they are small and nothing fancy for sure but they were o.k. We got a cot because the five of us couldn't fit in 2 double beds. The beds were comfortable enough but the pillows were not good.

Room Tip: We did not ask to be upgraded to a family room because I heard that those rooms face the parking lot...
8 Thank Tracy G
Tracy, California
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I really do hate having to write such a bad review for only my 2nd review ever...but I must tell the truth. And here it is. This place is horrible. If I could have gone lower than 1 I would have. If you have ever stayed at the Crown Paradise in Cancun, like we did, please DO NOT think the properties are the same, like we did. IF the Cancun property is truly considered their jewel, than the PV property is the Motel 6. And quite frankly that's an insult to Motel 6, sorry Tom Bodett. Upon our arrival, we were slowly checked in by gentlemen who spent more time checking out the female patrons walking back and forth instead of checking us in. We got a very brief welcome. The sink in our room leaked everytime we turned on the water. So we used room towels to soak it up. I alerted front desk. The room itself was really small and very outdated. In cancun we got 2 full beds, in PV we got 2 twins. Me and my wife did not fit. So we split up the kids and each slept with one. After a terrible night sleep, we went to our Costco travel rep, who was not there on our first day day check in. Explained to him the room conditions and our experience with the food and staff. He would talk to the manager and let us know what he could do. We asked for either a new room without a leaky sink and better bed accomo or Costco to put us up in a comparable hotel elsewhere.

So after checking in and unpacking the kids, we were still excited to hit the pool and beach. Our balcony overlooked the pirate ship kids swim area. Much to our surprise, there is no check-in for the kids club for this area as its not secured like it was in Cancun. So if the girls wanted to play here, which they always did, we too had to sit and wade in the water. Not so bad I guess, but it was sure nice in Cancun to leave the kids to play and enjoy the adult pool and spend some time with the wife. Not the case here at all. As they played I inquired more about the kids clubs activites and came away confused and disappointed. There was no daily/nightly entertainment where a group of well trained and caring sitters would watch your kids and take them until you were ready to get them. In cancun, they had kids dances, movie nights, game nights, where you could then have alone time to get a cocktail and just enjoy your spouses company. Then get the kids after they had a great time themselves and regroup as a family. NOT HERE IN PV.

After a few hours of swimming and checking out the "resort", time to eat. For get about it. Much like Cancun, but without the choices, the fried food was soggy the burgers over cooked the hot dogs, were just plain odd, and always cold. They had a hot dog cart guy who would walk between the 2 pools and my wife asked if she could please have a "hot" hot dog, he seemed very annoyed. After a few minutes of waiting my wife got her hot dog...hot on the outside, cool to the touch on the inside. But it wasn't just him it was the case at the outdoor snack bar and the buffet. Wow the buffet. Limited choices and the same thing every day. Want to hear something funny. To get bacon in the morning you had to know to ask for it and the cook would pull a magic tray from under his/her station and voila a large chafing dish of bacon. They would proceed to give us 2 pieces each. And then it would disappear again. We missed out on bacon the first 2 mornings because I didn't see it out and thought maybe they didn't serve it. I happen to see someone ask. Our first night we booked at the "japanese" restaurant. It was a sushi buffet and ala carte japanese cuisine. We were booked early as we were starving after a terrible lunch. The sushi wasn't ready yet, so we ordered off the menu. The ala carte food was fine, but my wife who doesn't use chopsticks asked for a fork. Our waiter looked at her and said "all you have to do is walk up there (points to buffet area where the sushi wasn't ready yet) and get one over there." Now folks that is customer service at it's finest. No our legs aren't painted on. They work. But whether it be at a buffet in america or any restaurant across the globe, I did not think this was a outlandish request that our waiter couldn't honor. She got her own fork. The next night we tried the "italian" restaurant. Long story short, it was neither good or italian.

Now back to our englis speaking Costco rep. After our first day/night, bad food and small beds with a leaky sink, he went to the GM of the property per our request. He said there is nothing he can do about the food, he was sorry it was so bad. They could also put us into a new room down the hall but the size of the beds were the same. If we wanted to upgrade our room, 1 queen and bunk bed it would be $100 a night. Tempting. Our nearest hotel change wouldn't be ready til the next day. We took the new room. Our Rep then asked if it would be ok if he introduced me to the GM. I thought why not. I could at least thank her for understanding our concerns and getting us a new room. He walked me to her office and he went in had me wait outside. I could hear her voice was raised. He came back out and said, "she didn't want to meet with you. That she did what she could and there was no need to talk." I thought perhaps he doesn't realize that this is not coming across very well at all. So I said that's fine with me. I then asked who do I need to see or talk to about getting that room change, as our rep turned to go back in she walked out briskly and said to both of us, anyone here can help him, he doesn't need to see me, they all know at the front desk what to do. Wow another shining example outstanding customer service. Our reps face was flushed with embarassment as he apologized profusely.

For your money, sanity and family enjoyment please please please find someplace else. Trust me. You will thank me later.

Since this was a hotel review I must leave it at that. But there were so many hightlights. The people themselves, the city and the other dining options. Absolutely Fantastic! Don't miss fine dining on the beach at La Palaypa. Tables directly on the beach and a wait staff that pampers. Freddie Tucans for breakfast. Yum. Several taco stands that were tremendous. But avoid the one on the Malecon next to the ice cream shop. We are from California, we know chorizo, a delicious greasy pork/beef cased meat that is great with eggs in the morning or a taco. This place however, chopped up a hot dog and called in chorizo. Thas was laughable. There were other taco stands that truly made chorizo tacos. Rico Mac Taco has good lunch and at night right outside is a guy who makes hamburgers, giant juicy perfectly cooked hamburgers.

Last thing right near the hotel was a grocery store. The hotel, and most if not all for that matter, did not have a money exchange service. And this grocery chain was awesome. Not only was it a amercian style grocery chain, they had everything, their money exchange gave the highest return for the american dollar. The airport was low and the cambia stalls were just as low. I would just buy a candy bar, a snack or water and they give me change in pesos. If airport was 12, cambio stalls 11, the chain was 14/15 pesos to the dollar, easily.

Soda lovers! Almost forgot. if you drink coke, pepsi, sprite, 7 up. You are fine, if you don't mind paying 1-2 dollars for a can. What shocked me was the newer drinks like say coke zero, $5 and up for a can.....a can!!!! It was 7.50 at the airport.

Any ways, Puerto Vallarta is still beautiful and one of our favorite places to visit. Just don't stay at Crown Club. After our stay in Cancun, I joined their "frequent flier" program, thinking how awesome it was. Stay at properties and get points and stuff for future stays. After PV, I canceled.

This May our family vacation....Hawaii.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family