“Great place to base a Puerta vallarta Vacation, Vegetarian and Family friendly”

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #46 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our family of parents, children and grandparents just spent a very satisfactory two weeks of Christmas break based at the Crown Paradise Club. This family-oriented all-inclusive resort was good for all of us. It is located about 10 minutes by taxi from the airport on a very nice sandy beach with calm to gentle waves (at least in December.) We had side-by-side rooms with two queen beds each and one pack and play. We were located on the second floor, with balconies overlooking the adult pool and with a nice view of the ocean. (223-224) The room has a built in safe (bring a lanyard or key chain for the key), a small refrigerator, color TV (several English language channels), AC, closet with hangers, bathtub shower combo and WiFi in the room (for a fee-we bought a week's worth for $69.00 US). Two blocks away is a large, full service supermarket (good place to buy sun screen and sand toys), and Costco and Walmart are short taxi rides away. (It costs about $5US to take a taxi ride with a maximum of 4 people/taxi, to the Malacon, or Costco, or Walmart.) Our review of the food is from the perspective of vegetarians. The Breakfast Buffet was excellent...large variety of fresh fruit including melon, papaya and pineapple: yogurt, cereal, pancakes, waffles, French toast and omelettes. Delicious Mexican hot chocolate, chilaquilas and Mexican pastries. Lunch Buffet included an exensive salad bar (Yes we ate the lettuce) sandwich fixings,soup and usually to-order tacos or tostados...the snack bar was open all afternoon with fruit, nachos, fries, batter-fried vegetables and often pizza....The dinner buffet was fairly heavy on the meat and seafood but usually there was made to order pasta, soup (my favorite was cream of pumpkin), steamed vegetables, rice or potatoes, beans, and fresh tortillas. We took our family to the Italian Restaurant one evening and enjoyed the ambience and food presentation, again we were able to order vegetarian food....the cheesecake with black berries was especially good. (To eat in the restaurants, dress code is a couple of notches above beach wear and men need to wear long pants and closed toed shoes...you also have to make reservations by phone between 9 and 2 and that can be frustrating as the line often rings busy.) We enjoyed the beach venders sharing their wares. ( A smile and "Not today, thank you." sent them easily on their way and after a couple of days unless you caught their eye they mostly didn't approach.) Just north of the resort is an artisan's mart with more than 50 little shops where you can browse and bargain...(we found these shop keepers much more likely to bargain than those on the Malacon.) US dollars seem welcome everywhere. (Take lots of low denomination bills...change will come back to you in pesos.) The advertising says "tips are included" but we happily left a couple of dollars each day for our maid...(leave the money on the bed or with a note or they won't be sure it is for them and will leave it.) This resort is popular with the Nationals and so you hear lots of Spanish spoken but all the signage is bilingual and all of the staff can understand English or direct you easily to someone who can. This resort is not a quiet, hideaway or a place for carousing spring-breakers but if you are looking for a safe, fun, family-oriented, multi-cultural experience this might be the vacation spot for you.

17  Thank love2travel60_10
Write a ReviewReviews (1,806)

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was my first stay at Crown Paradise and I would recommend it. A great variety of food in the buffet. The service and staff were excellent. I talked to many people who have stayed there year after year. It was a quiet time to go so the night club was VERY quiet (sometimes only 2 people). I didn't find the night shows very entertaining but everything else I would recommend. For the price I paid for my package it was beyond my expectations. The rooms were very clean.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank C W
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have gone to crown paradise for 3 years and will never return. The food was so.....so at times gross. The drinks are disgusting as they use very cheap crap! What bar in mexico severs coffee liquor instead of kahlua??? Crown Pradise does! All the bottles are refilled with cheap booze. The room service is slow and you have a hard time getting what you want because no one speaks english! we stayed in the Marina building, our phone didn't work half the time, the rought iron on the balcony broke off and fell on the ground, there was black mould on the balcony, cockroaches dead in the suite, toilet in master was always running even after they fixed it. The beds are hard as rocks. Way too many problems to explain. Please do your self a favor and DO NOT go to this resort with your kids it is a waste of money and will be disapointing. we talked to many people and they had the same experince as us. By the way my son came home with pink eye doctor say's most likley from the kids pool !!!!!

4  Thank Susan S
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My family of four just returned from our second visit to the Crown Paradise. I was a little nervous about returning - we had an excellent experience there two years ago, but since then I have read so many terrible reviews that I was concerned that something had changed. We were not disappointed. The staff is phenomenal - everyone (servers, entertainers, bartenders, housekeeping...) goes above and beyond to make sure you feel welcome, appreciated, and taken care of - everyone works so hard and is cheerful and warm. The beach is nice (undertow may be a bit strong for little kids) and the water was warm. The kids waterpark is fun. The food at the buffet is fine and the a la carte restaurants are exceptional (with no limit - you can go every night!) The entertainment is kid-friendly and family oriented. The facility is not five star but its comfortable - the staff make this a place I'd return to again and again - five star service! At least half the guests are Mexican, so you feel like you are actually in Mexico...felt safe walking to the grocery store, Walmart, the mall, etc. I have no complaints - my husband, myself, and our two boys ( 12 and 9) all had a ton of fun. Really great family vacation.

6  Thank Kim2730
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My son picked this all inclusive out because he wanted his kids to have a great time...and they did! I found the property to be the most spotless place I have stayed in in Mexico. My son and daughter-in-law's family room, complete with an alcove with bunk beds and t.v. for the kids, was not as nice and smelled funny. It turns out that we had newer rooms. We faced the beach, they faced the street.

The buffet style dining area was okay, it was great if you really like fruit and yogurt, or have been dying for salads and steamed vegetables. The desserts were remarkably not good. The a la cart restaurants, Japanese, Italian and French were great experiences, especially the French, although my daughter-in-law preferred the Italian, their desserts were great, their wines were pretty good.

And then the bar....as much as you wanted, some fun and tasty drinks. Never saw anyone drunk. There was a special children's alcohol free drink menu....this place focuses on kids.

Personally, I would not choose an all inclusive resort venue, we like the cultural adventure kind of vacation, and Puerto Vallarta is one great place to introduce yourself to Mexico. But I must say, we had a wonderful and relaxing time.

One last word-Service. The staff was phenomenal. Always friendly, always helpful always there to make you smile and feel welcome....and meet whatever need you may have.

Room Tip: Avoid the older section, better to get two queen size beds than the family room.
4  Thank heartsformexico
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We just returned from our third holiday at the Crown Paradise. I honestly don't get the bad reviews. We went for 2 weeks this year and it just keeps getting better.
First I have to say that people complain about the beach vendors....if you say 'no thankyou' they walk away. People need to realize this is how they make their living!! They only make a few dollars a day!! Over the years of visiting Crown we have gotten to know a lot of the vendors. They are great people who love to visit and get to know you. Many are great friends now :)
As for the food people complain about.....We personally love that we go to mexico and find mexican food. I think a lot of people go to a resort and want food we eat at home. There is always a ton of selection and I`m sure no one ever goes hungry. Also people should know that tipping goes a long ways. This is typically what they live off of and some people don`t realize that they are allowed to be tipped. We always ensure we take a bunch of $1 bills.
We love staying next to the marina. It is amazing to see the ships come and go.
I can't say enough about the water park. It is such a highlight for our family.
The staff is awesome!!!! I have read people complain about a language barrier but again it is Mexico.....to be expected! When they have a tough time with communication there is usually someone close by to help out.
The location of this resort is great. Close to a grocery store, walmart and a mall so always easy to get to somewhere if need be. The more times we visit PV the more we venture out and realize how safe we truly feel. Certainly there are nicer, better, higher end resorts but we love the value, location and size of Crown Paradise. Always a wonderful experience with tearful goodbye`s. We will return for another family vacay!! :)

Room Tip: We love ground level with pool view. Can hear the ocean :) And its always peaceful
5  Thank beckie06
Reviewed December 4, 2012

after reading the polarizing reviews on the crown club paradise Puerto Vallarta my family and I decided to believe the positive comments from families like ours with young kids and book our trip. Last year our whole family spent a week at the sister property in Cancun and we all had a great time. We were not so lucky this time! After a long travel day coming from cold Colorado we arrived at the hotel at 2 pm. We were told that we did not have a reservation so I showed our confirmation letter and then the fun began! The front desk person told us we would have to wait for two hours because his manager was at lunch. Needless to say from here on out we were looking for things wrong, comparing this resort to the crown paradise in Cancun. Next day we wanted to use the non motorized amenities that we saw at the resorts website. Asked for a boogie board at the activity desk at about 1 pm in the afternoon and was told once again that we could not be helped until the manager returned at 4 pm. As for the beach, it’s beautiful but you best listen to the other reviews about the venders, there are tons of them and it’s impossible to relax. Even if you have been to Mexico before and know about the venders this beach is crazy over loaded with them. As for the food, it’s typical all inclusive fair. I am a chef by trade and my family and I are not picky. The French restaurant is very good and Polly is the man. Try his sexy coffee absolutely awesome. Only complaint here is that truth in menu is not part of there executive chefs vocabulary nearly every meal we had in the restaurants’ were missing ingredients listed on the menu. From no beans in the lamb casollet to no pine apples in the sweet and sour chicken and if you order the ginger mousse in the Asian restaurant don’t expect any ginger just shredded apples in whipped cream. Now for the service staff. Mostly they look tired and unenthused. No smiles, no hellos. There is one place were the staff is outstanding and that’s the time share sales people. That’s all you see at this resort and looks to be the primary focus. This hotel is failing and upper management has lost its way. They have forgotten what the term hospitality is and we will not be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family