“over 20 years of good times”

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed February 7, 2014

we have been going to the villa del mar ( a section of the palmar) for over twenty years. we have always found the staff, many of whom we have come know quite well, to be of the best character. they are happy to be employed here and state that the wages are amoung the best and the built in tip - about $4.00 a day per room - actually gets shared amoungst the ones you seldom see, the security personnel, laundry, gardeners, pool boys and maintenance folks all get a share, we think this is excellent. it helps to give a little to the chamber maid and we do tip the waiting staff and that is shared with all the kitchen people. for a few bucks here and there, maybe 10% of your entertainment bill, the rewards are wonderful, not only does it make you feel good, you are helping the economy cause it all goes round and round.
we look forward to having many more holidays at the villa del mar/palmar and going to all our favorite stops, andela's, el torito's, the oceania on the maleacon, etc.,etc..

Room Tip: the rooms at the villa del mar are much quieter than villa del parmar as the pool is more adult orie...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,653)

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here in January and ended up checking out early after one night. When we got there our "deluxe suite" was just really a regular sized hotel room with a kitchenette crammed in the corner. No fancy couches or anything. The most annoying thing for me was that this hotel charges its guest 12 dollars a day to use the hotels wifi. And its not 12 dollars a day for the whole family its 12 dollars a day PER DEVICE. So if you and the kids or the girlfriend/wife want to use the internet for whatever reason or to look up fun activities to do in PV its going to cost you. That to me is ridiculous, even the cheapest hotels in town offer free wifi, a basic amenity that in todays modern age even in mexico should be a given. The wifi is not even that great, it is really slow when you use it in your hotel room. But there is more bad things about this hotel, after we found out about the room and the wifi we decided to go down to the pool and have a drink. When we tried to go to the bar to buy a beer they wouldn't let us buy a beer unless we gave our credit card information to the front desk. They do not accept cash, WHAT KIND OF BAR DOES NOT ACCEPT CASH?!?! So that was real annoying. Then we had to rent a pool towel out with a ticket and if you for some reason don't get the ticket back or leave the towel in your room when you check out they charge you 25 dollars for each towel that is not checked back in. LIke really?? come on! Its a towel!..you're better off walking to walmart down the street and buying your own for like 3 dollars. So we decided to leave and find a better hotel in a better location (This was pretty far from the boardwalk and romantic zone) its a 5-6 dollar taxi ride each way every time) After we left the hotel we realized we forgot some of our swim outfits on the balcony because we left them out there to dry the night before. So we went back to reclaim them. The people at the front desk said that they would call house keeping and check to see if they had our clothes. They told us that they didn't find anything, and we said "I know they are out there, did you guys just throw them away or do you have a holding policy?" So they told us that they do hold lost and found items for 30 days but ours wasn't there. So we asked to file a complaint to the manager because we believed they obviously threw our swim outfits away or kept them. So he called lost and found/house keeping again and he said that their policy was that they actually do not hold things and that they probably threw it away. So naturally we were kind of upset that we had to buy new swim outfits, I went back and looked at his name tag and wrote down his name and walked away. He saw me do this. When we were about to get off the property and find a taxi a security guard stopped us and told us that the same manager called and said they found our clothes. So we walked back and met up with him and he walked us to the lost and found, and when we were in there the house keeping ladies were just eating lunch, they didn't even look for our clothes. One of the ladies sat there and looked in the lost and found locker and found our swim outfits right in front of us. It was really easy to see and find. They didn't even look in the first place! unbelievable considering the fact that the front desk and a manager supposedly called 3 times before that. They were just being lazy. This was a horrible hotel experience. I felt like they just want to suck as much money out of everyone as they could here and the hotel is not even that nice compared to other hotels plus its far away. There is no free breakfast, not even a continental free breakfast. We were under the impression that they lend out kayaks to their guest for free because they claim they do on their website, but you are only allowed to take it out for 30 minutes, other wise its 50 dollars to use it. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

3  Thank Arley327
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed at Villa del Palmar from 1/18/14 - 1/25/14 through Interval International. My boss gave me a guest certificate for his timeshare. It is a nice-looking resort although not like the luxurious all-inclusive resorts we have previously stayed at in Riviera Maya. Upon our arrival, we were immediately directed to an employee who we thought was very helpful at first; but discovered she only wanted to book us for a timeshare presentation. After countless times trying to say "no", we realized that we weren't going to be able to get away from her until we relented to schedule a breakfast presentation for the following Monday. When Monday rolled around, we decided we really didn't care to spend our vacation listening to the timeshare presentation, so we didn't go. The employee called our room countless times throughout the day and she actually found us sitting on the beach. She seemed rather irritated and although I explained to her that we just decided not to attend, she tried to reschedule. I literally had to say no a dozen times before she finally walked away. We spoke to other couples who did go to the presentation and they let us know that although a 90 minute meeting was promised, it ended up taking the entire day to get away from them. I understand that the timeshare market is big there, but I don't appreciate being pressured to just attend a meeting - which is main reason we did not attend.

Our room was decent, we actually changed rooms twice only because we wanted a room with an ocean view. We were able to upgrade to the building closest to the beach with a great view of the ocean for $300 for the week. The upgraded room was a little larger but not any nicer than what we had before upgrading. It was nice to have a kitchenette so we could keep some snacks and drinks in our room. We didn't do any cooking but they provided everything you would need to cook as well (pots, pans, dishes, utensils).

The one thing we couldn't get over was how people would reserve the pool and beach lounge chairs by laying their towels on them at 6am (The sun didn't even rise until after 7am!). It clearly states in the resort rules that chairs cannot be reserved in that manner. We have been to many other resorts where people would do that, but never to this extreme! My husband and I are early risers and we would sit out on the balcony and watch men walk out with a stack of towels for everyone in their group and lay them on the lounge chairs to reserve them. There were a lot of retired people at this condo/resort and I couldn't believe that older people would behave that way! It was pretty annoying because if you waited until 9am to go down to the pool or beach (which is still early) you were pretty much out of luck finding an unreserved chair. There are employees who will go scrounge up a chair for you from their storage area, but it's pretty ridiculous how you can sit and see the numerous unoccupied chairs "reserved" with beach towels for hours before someone finally shows up to sit on one. We saw a lot of people hoard entire groups of chairs and then not even use all of them!

We loved exploring downtown and you can take a $5 cab ride to get to the Boardwalk - we spent a lot of time downtown. We found some great places to eat and we always felt safe just going out on our own. We met some really nice people who recommended the restaurants at Casa Isabel and Le Kliff they were amazing! Just the views were worth it and food was delicious.

Puerto Vallarta was a fun place to go to and we will definitely return to the city, but most likely not to this condo/resort.

1  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was my second time at Villa Del Palmar, and the experience did not disappoint!! The front desk, bellman and concierge staff were very helpful and extremely polite. Throughout the week we were entertained by the wait staff at the breakfast buffet.... Fernando , Carlos , Victor and their coworkers did everything they could to make breakfast an adventure everyday!

Our room was very well maintained and the housekeeping staff was impeccable.

The only minor complaints I would have would be that the wireless internet service that you can purchase is s l o w ... I had to sit by my balcony doors to have any speed. The second complaint is that my room was at the end of the hall by an open area that overlooks a service walkway / office area . For the first couple of mornings we were woken around 7:00 am by the employees starting their day shift responsibilities. By the 3rd night we slept with the AC on which drowned out the noise, as opposed to sleeping with the sliders open and ceiling fan on.

All in all we had a great time and can not wsit to go back !!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from the end of the hall overlooking the employee offices......
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jane N
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We really enjoyed our 10 days at Villa del Palmar. The condo unit was comfortable and clean. The beach was a great place to walk and view the sunsets. All of the restaurants were delicious and we especially enjoyed the Theme Nights. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It was a quick bus ride to downtown. Our only suggestion was that the resort needs an ATM machine.

Room Tip: We actually stayed at Villa de Mar which is right next door and really part of the entire resort. O...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Gardener2014
Reviewed February 5, 2014

this was my second time to Puerto Vallarta and my first time at this property. The accommodations were very nice although I did miss a dishwasher. Staff was very friendly and all was clean and well-maintained. Lots of activities and beautiful landscaping. Very nice fiesta dinner and presentation on Tues. night- culturally informative. I minded that the staff on check-in seemed so determined to sign me up for a time-share presentation. I was there on a time-share exchange from my home resort and have no interest in buying another property at age 63. More emphasis was on that than on giving me the tour of your resort. I didn't use the laundry as I found it overpriced but did take advantage of the internet café and staff there was helpful. I especially liked the central location- convenient to bus stops and across from the resort where my cousin stays each year for 3 months.

Room Tip: If physically challenged, ask for a main level room as I didn't see elevators.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Patricia T
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I visit this property with my girl friends family as part of their time share. This is the second time I visited this particular property. Last year we had a great experience. This year was mixed. The good, Carlos and Fernando provided awesome service during breakfast. They helped us in several ways. The food was very good. We loved the guacamole and salsa in the bar.

We did have some struggles with the room. One day we did not have maid service. Others day the maids came late in the day making it hard to prepare for evening events. Two of the nights there was water dripping from the ceiling in the bathroom. It took 3 visits from the maintenance team to address it, but we did loose sleep for 2 nights. What concerned us the most was the lack of management communication regarding the situation. We did have the gratuity removed from our bill to account for the issues.

Overall, this is a great place to stay and I am sure they will address the room issues.

Room Tip: I recommend rooms on the upper floors to get a better view of the ocean and mountains.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family