This is a pretty nice hotel in a location that didn't satisfy our travel plans. It is centrally located between the Marina and El Centro, and we went to town every day. It is not a hard trip - we usually took the bus which is very inexpensive - but we should simply have picked a hotel in Old Town for our needs.
The vacationers here are mostly up in years - and we are not youngsters. We've never seen so many walkers, wheel chairs, and oxygen in one place other than a rest home. It wasn't an issue for us and makes for a pretty quiet environment. You can even use the sister property of Villa del Mar next door which is even quieter. Occupancy was 58% and grew on the weekends, which livened things up a little with more children and Mexican Nationals. Anyway, we mention this only for those who are expecting a lively, spring break kind of place - this is not it.
When we checked in we were turned over the hotel timeshare rep for our key and hotel information. It was actually useful since "Grace" was very pleasant and provided a lot of useful information. We agreed to visit the VDP Flamingos resort in Neuvo Vallarta since we were exploring PV and wanted to see how things had developed to the north. Grace "guaranteed" us that it would be a 90 minute presentation including the free breakfast. Well, it turned out to be 4-1/2 hours and five salespersons. They were working up to six when we simply said we were leaving and started walking out. We were later advised that we asked too many questions, which they believe indicates serious interest and therefore didn't want to let us get away without buying something. Buyer beware...
The rooms in the hotel are very clean, but somewhat worn. We loved the bed. The refrigerator is way small, particularly if you want to keep ice in it for drinks. The resort food we had was actually very good, but the high prices made us eat nearly all meals in town. We noticed that they have a sign up in the pool/deck area telling you not to bring your own food or drink into the area, but with their prices most people were simply ignoring it. Happy hour drinks were priced at what should be the regular price (two for one). Staff is exceptional, and we have had nice service in every resort in Mexico we have stayed in. Even the front desk, which some people have criticized, were very friendly and helpful. I don't think you could ask for better personnel in a hotel.
They do have "Elite Status" areas roped off for "special owners." I think that means they paid a bunch of $$$ for the title. They were not used much (not a surprise) but it did create kind of a snobbish aspect to the hotel.
We'd probably stay at this hotel again if it were lotated in El Centro. If that is not important to you, by all means consider it for your PV visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on the soft sands of Banderas Bay is Villa del Palmar Puerto Vallarta, an enchanting family resort that combines charming Mexican tradition with upscale sophistication and modernity. The magical resort, situated close to the center of downtown Puerto Vallarta, offers a unique vacation experience that will have you falling in love with the stunning beachfront destination. Boasting two freeform pools, three delicious culinary options and a state-of-the-art spa, Villa del Palmar is everything you need for a fun-filled vacation and more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Jetsetter, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort And Spa
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Hotel Del Palmar Beach
- Villa Del Palmar Puerto Vallarta
- Resort Del Palmar Beach
- Puerto Vallarta Villa Del Palmar