Tripadvisor
Puerto Vallarta
4,336 results
All reviews la ribera andrea restaurant aqua bar room service bedroom suite casino night guest services mexican fiesta time share grounds are beautiful water aerobics all inclusive package city tour juan carlos pool side our waiter family vacation
Selected filters
Reviewed January 21, 2020

I was here with my 20 year old son and husband December 28 2019-January 4 2020. It was our first visit to PV, I have been to the Mayan over 12 times. I thought people might appreciate a comparison of resorts, so here it is. Velas Vallarta is a small cozy resort compared to the giants on the east coast. It has 2 restaurants. Both are open for breakfast and lunch but I only ever used la Ribera which had a beach view. They had menus but also a buffet which for breakfast had an egg station, a french toast/waffle/pancake station as well as the usual breakfast foods. Lunch was also menu or buffet and they had a stir fry station which gave great food.
Kudos to Gabriela who made the best waffles and Oney Kevin Diana and Christina for the excellent service! Supper was by reservation for Andrea restaurant, you could only reserve the day of and the menu changed nightly. I had Asian and Italian food and everything was good. Thanks Enrique Omar Julio and Antonio for great service! One night I went to la Ribera for steak and was disappointed, the food was definitely worth the reservation at Andrea. They also have a Mexican fiesta on Sundays, I did not enjoy the food personally but there was a lot of selection and great entertainment. They should consider having a pinata though for the kids. The pools have excellent wait staff who came by constantly with food or drink. If you try to order a drink or food by walking up to the bar they will help you but you can tell they prefer you deal with a waiter at your lounge chair. The beach is not as pretty as the east coast but you can walk for miles in both directions. The pools are also heated which was wonderful and a first for me in Mexico. The junior suite room had one bed and one sofa bed, we would have preferred 2 beds. Housekeeping was excellent. I only left the resort once to go on a walking tour with Tania to the marina which was fun, thanks very much Tania! I felt very safe on the street outside the resort, it reminded me of being in Arizona or Palm Springs. So to summarize, great beach, great service, heated pool, wonderful food but all in a smaller space than the typical Mayan resort and that is not a bad thing :)

2  Thank aquacaliente
Luis A, Director General at Velas Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

First, allow me to thank you for deciding to vacation on the west coast of Mexico and, in particular, reserving with us at Velas Vallarta.

As you kindly mention, there truly is a world of difference between Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Maya. Firstly, there is the time and distance needed to go from the airport to the hotel. Here we are comfortably accessible, making traveling a non-factor. The small-town feel of Puerto Vallarta has attracted thousands of fans for decades as the humble people of this region certainly are proud of their clean city and its safety. Visually, you will, perhaps, never find any other beach destination in Mexico that offers such a beautiful panorama of the ocean and mountains together. There is nothing flat about Puerto Vallarta, and these natural characteristics indeed do transmit a tropical personality within all your photographs and postcards.

And then you have Velas Vallarta. Not a mega-resort as you are accustomed to, but more of an intimate oasis where everybody knows your name. And that is worth its weight in gold, considering the friendships that are made between our guests and the staff.

We hope that this experience opens you up to more holiday travels to the west side of Mexico and that you become comfortable with the warm and welcoming atmosphere that Puerto Vallarta and Velas Vallarta are widely known for.

Until next time, we remain at your service for any future need or request. Thank you!

Reviewed January 19, 2020

Pros: Wonderful staff, nice beach, beautiful grounds
Cons: Studio rooms are not nice, very poor fitness room, average food

We enjoyed our stay at the Velds Vellarta, namely because the staff are so friendly and helpful, and the grounds of the hotel, and beach are excellent. But there are some drawbacks that you need to be aware of when booking.

First is the rooms. We made the mistake of booking a studio room, which is more like a motel room than a hotel room. There is no balcony, and a walkway in front of the rooms windows, meaning no privacy! Not what I was expecting for the price of the hotel and a real negative start to the vacation. In the end we spent as little time in the room as possible. I would recommend that you select a room with a balcony, they seem much better.

The food at the hotel is strictly OK. Some items are good, and some not at all; and what you get is really a lottery. You can order a steak and have a great cut, or get a piece of shoe leather. Of course the staff were great and had no problem switching your food if you didn't like something. Still I found that after 4 days the food all seemed the same.

The fitness room is very disappointing. 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals and 2 bikes. That's it. No weights and one of the bikes was broken. One of the worst fitness rooms I've ever seen.

The location of the hotel is fine. It's 10 minutes walk to the Marina, which has some bars and restaurants. And the hotel is about a 20 minute cab ride to the centre of town. Uber is an option.

Tip: If you book the hotel go for a walk on the beach. About 15-20 minutes walk north is a turtle sanctuary where they are looking after turtle eggs and hatching babies to protect them from birds. Its pretty cool

1  Thank LucBjorn

Thank you very much, Luc, for selecting Velas Vallarta as your winter holiday destination and also for taking the time to share with us some of the pros and cons that you felt during your stay.

At Velas Vallarta, we now have thirty years of invaluable experience hosting fine guests, such as yourself. We have learned to place focus on the Guest Experience with our warm and authentic style of hospitality. As an example of our service ethic, you have witnessed my waiters and chefs doing their best to bring you the dishes that you most enjoy, just the way you require them. That attention to detail also extends to our front desk staff. To further your holiday experience in the comfort of a larger suite, my staff can aid you in obtaining one of the various suite categories that can suit your needs. Our studio suite, being our most economical, is nicely appointed with all the luxuries of our larger suites, and just as you mentioned, without a balcony. Perhaps, on a possible future visit, you can invest a little more in a one-bedroom unit and take advantage of all the extra space and the beautiful view that is offered. I will also instruct my front desk and concierge staff to make mention to all our adult guests that they have access to our nearby sister resort's gymnasium, which is complete with free and machine weights and acts as a complement to our cardio gym, two-minute transportation included.

Thank you again, Luc, for recognizing the fine efforts of my staff, as well as the beautiful grounds and beach that we are blessed to have. We hope to have the pleasure of making your next stay at Velas Vallarta a complete success and look forward to serving your needs throughout.

Until then, sir, we continue to place ourselves at your service,

Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

We have been going to Puerto Vallarta for 20 years. This is the place to stay! They have it all. Food is delicious. The service is outta this world! The staff at Velas Vallarta makes sure you are happy at all times. 24 hour room service, just in case you need a snack. The pool is absolutely perfect. Plenty of space to swim around, play games or just swim up to the bar. If your not into setting by the pool, you can hang out on the beach under their canopies. They even have servers out on the beach to get you those tasty drinks or a quick snack. Always something going on at the resort. Games or shows in the Lobby. Games by the pool or water aerobics. I promise you won’t be bored here. Even if your just going to relax, you can do that too. It’s our perfect place. Hope it will be yours too!

1  Thank Sarah S

As a team, we are highly pleased to learn that you found many aspects of our package to be to your great satisfaction. One such plus is the benefit of having 24-Hour room service included in your all-inclusive with no extra surcharge whatsoever. And the same goes for your restocked mini-bar, and when ordering drinks and snacks on the beach and by the pools. Our all-inclusive helps take the math out of the vacation experience, leaving you only with the decision as to whether you want one, or two, tasty crepes, or pizzas.

Thank you, Sarah, for making Velas Vallarta your perfect place for family vacations. We look forward to continuing to serve your lovely family's needs for many more years in the future.

As always, we remain at your service,

Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

I love all the thoughtful extra touches here- like toothbrushes, toothpaste, beverages and snacks already in the room along with plates, cups, towels etc. Every room is a suite with full kitchen. The food selections are wonderful and I could live on the fantastic guacamole and pico with corn and beans. I liked it so much as a side at lunch that i got it for dinner by room service last night. Papaya with sliced almonds was a wonderful breakfast. Worth the all inclusive price for so much quality!

1  Thank rhonda f

Thank you very much, Rhonda, for bringing to light all the little touches that added up to make your Velas Vallarta Guest Experience "worth the all inclusive price."

As you described, there is much more to our package than just the cost of food and beverage. There are many thoughtful touches that we have incorporated into our concept such as all the in-suite amenities, full use of a restocked mini-bar, and the vast array of menu items in our restaurant, pool, and suite service menus. Then there is the quality of all those items. We don't just use basic quality, but, for example, the linen and tableware that is normally found in world-class restaurants are used in our dining venues, which is just one of many examples of what makes Velas Vallarta a complete vacation, full of variety and quality for all our guest's ample tastes.

We hope that the wonderful memories and your glowing photos entice you to return sooner than expected to continue pampering yourselves in our unique version of upscale all-inclusive.

Until next time, Rhonda, we place ourselves at your service for all your future needs and requests. Thank you!

Reviewed January 14, 2020

This hotel was beautiful very clean fabulous for kids and there were a lot of kids. but it never seemed overwhelming and too loud or noisy. the food was good the beach was clean and I never really had a problem getting chairs. Being able to get crepes all day was fantastic. it was great having all the animals roaming around. the peacocks the cats. now the staff. they couldn’t have been more helpful and happy to be working there and I must say that Vanessa the concierge Went above and beyond to be helpful. she even babysat for my granddaughter. I miss not seeing her actually. Yoga was fun pool exercises were fun. the gym is lacking. 5 machines. Golf was great. We saw crocodiles there too. Can’t wait to go back

Room tip: We had a three bedroom and they upgraded us to the master three bedroom it was amazing
Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank susan8852
Luis A, Director General at Velas Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2020

Susan, it was an honor for us to have provided you and your lovely family an all-around wonderful vacation.

I am thrilled to learn that our crepe station was a big hit for your family. From 9 am to 9 pm, it is very tempting to pass by the station and choose from dozens of fillings to help satisfy that extra pampered touch. And having valuable staff on hand, such as Vanessa to care for your everyday needs, is an aspect that truly is priceless, and I will be informing her of your kind words on her efforts.

On behalf of Vanessa, her colleagues, and all of the docile wildlife that we have in our grounds, I thank you for reserving with us at Velas Vallarta and wish all of you a prosperous 2020. Take care.