“Best Vacation Ever!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Morristown, Tennessee
“Best Vacation Ever!”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My wife and I visited Velas Vallarta May 23-30 for our honeymoon. We both came in with high expectations after reading many reviews on TripAdvisor but we both came away extremely impressed.

The facilities are absolutely wonderful. The pools are beautiful and very clean, and the gardens throughout the property are just gorgeous. Iguanas and peacocks roam free and there were a couple of chicks with one of the female peacocks. Not only are they beautiful birds, but their calls make the place sound like a tropical jungle.

Service was impeccable throughout our week. Both restaurants on the property were wonderful. We found ourselves eating at La Ribiera for breakfast every morning because the food was great and the setting was awesome. It is impossible to beat starting your day enjoying a fabulous meal overlooking the pacific ocean.

The poolside service was absolutely AWESOME. Juan was absolutely the best, always keeping our drinks full and taking care of everything we needed. I can't imagine that it's even possible to have better service.

Notes:
We went after the "busy season" which was perfect for us. Apparently during the busy season there are 10 times the number of visitors, which could make getting reservations more challenging.
It never rained the whole time we were there. Apparently it rains from late July through September (“rainy season”).
When you fly into PV, before you leave the airport you will have to go through a "resort sales" area. Just walk through the center and don't talk to anyone that isn't with Velas Vallarta.
Cab fare to the Zona Romantica area is about 80 pesos. US dollars are accepted most everywhere, but you definitely get a better "rate" when using pesos for the cabs.

My wife and I will definitely go back to Puerto Vallarta and we'll most definitely stay at Velas Vallarta.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JasonEC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
Washington.New Jersey
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Two families (38 people)had the most fantastic vacation here. The facility was fabulous.Our hostess Geraldine wasso accomodating and friendly she was a 10 star employee and represented the facility with class and charm. Our pool servers Juan and Gilberto catered to our every need including taking great time to keep our 16 children harry all the time. We would recommend Velas Vallarta and their staff to everyone.Fabulous experience. The Egan family.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Zuzulo
Flanders, New Jersey
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We traveled and stayed at this resort with a total of 38 family and friends for a week. We were treated like royalty. Geraldine from Guest Services was amazing. She constantly went above and beyond to ensure our stay was a pleasant one. The Andres restaurant served excellent food, and their staff was equally accomodating. Gilberto and Juan from the pool side bar-restaraunt staff also provided excellent service. Every time I was about to finish my drink, they would have another one ready to go. The all inclusive package was well worth it. 24 hour room service was great too. Overall, we had an amazing vacation and thank Geraldine and staff for providing us with a great family vacation!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We traveled with two other families. We all upgraded out rooms to a one bedroom ocean view suite with two double bed. When we got there they gave us us room. But when we got to the rooms, there was no ocean view and only one king side bed. We went back to the lobby. But they were not willing to help us. They told us that the kids could sleep on the sofas. As for the ocean view they told us all their rooms are partial ocean view. The only way for us to see the ocean was if we went out to the balcony and tilted out hear sideways to see the ocean. So they told us since we bought the trip from Expedia that we had to deal with them. When I retured from the trip, I call Expdia. But they told us they had already paid the hotel and that the hotel was not willing to issue them a refund so that they could issue us a refund. I have a 15 year old that had to sleep on the couch during out trip. The resort had no activities. The food was the only thing that was good. Everything else was bad.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
6 Thank travelerINaustin
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Ribera is a great restaurant featuring 5 star food and its on the ocean.
Marcelino and everyone were first class.

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I went to Velas Vallarta with my husband. This was our 10th or 11th trip to Mexico. Our 13th or so time at an all inclusive resort. We are a 40-year old couple with no kids. We love all inclusive resorts, but we aim for the higher budget resorts hoping for better service & food. Hence, the reason our agent recommended this resort above the Dreams Resorts. We wanted to go to their sister property the Casa Velas because it was adults only but it would have been at least $1,000+ more. So we opted to try this one.

We reserved a one bedroom studio room, but were pleasantly surprised when they upgraded us to a one bedroom suite with ocean view overlooking the pool & gardens. That was incredible! We saw the studio rooms and every day we were thankful we didn't have a studio. They were so small, not much of a view. You'd have to keep your blinds shut most of the time because guests walking by could look right into the room. Plus, they are near the hallways so you'd hear lots of noise from maids, carts, and doors slamming.

ROOM: Our suite was amazing!!! 3rd floor. Thank god we got the upgrade! Very clean - never saw one bug the entire trip. Huge kitchen, living area with 2 couches, bedroom with king bed, & two sliding glass doors from living area & bedroom leading to the huge patio. Plenty of drawers & closet space for our clothes. Even on the patio there was 2 lounge chairs and a bistro set. We were on that patio every day a few times. My husband's favorite part of the room was the fact that the curtains blocked out every trace of sunlight. It was like a bat cave in there. We slept more than 10 hrs a day because it was so dark. I took my own blow dryer and I'm glad I did. They had the standard small ones in the wall which don't work well on my long hair. I was pleased that the room didn't smell musty like lots of Mexico hotels. And the shower curtain didn't smell moldy. That's my biggest pet peeve. The bed was sooo comfortable. Tons of soft pillows. I heard you can request any kind of pillow. We prefer harder pillows; however, I just stacked up the soft ones and it was perfect. The maids did such a nice job we tipped a few times during the week.

BEACH: We knew the Puerta Vallarta beaches weren't going to be clear blue waters and white sand going into this trip. However, there were VERY dingy looking, we walked one time on the beach and never went back. The sand was dark brown, lots of debris (though the hotel worked hard every day trying to keep it clean). The water itself was filthy looking! I wouldn't go in even up to my knees. So we opted to stay at the pool every day because of it. When we went on the free city tour, we noticed beautiful blue waters and lighter tan colored sand more South. (I think it's called the South Zone) Disadvantage there is it's so far away from town.

Location/downtown: Location was great. Walking distance to the marina, 10 minutes or so to take a taxi downtown. A bit longer on the bus for only 7 pesos per person. We enjoyed going into town. We don't like all the tourist flee market merchandise. We look for art galleries, unique jewelry/clothing, and good restaurants. We wanted to go to Cafe Des Artise restaurant based on a recommendation from a friend who lived there. But, we never did make it. Even the locales said how amazing that restaurant is. I'm bummed we didn't force ourselves to go.

We went to the marina for a late night drink at the Lighthouse bar. so cute! You take a small elevator to the top (maybe 3 stories high?) It overlooks all the marina boats and city skyline. Great breeze came through the windows. Good music. We really enjoyed that. Only one shop was open there that late. Very nice, contemporary collectibles but we got the major time share pressure crap from the owner and he lost our business. I couldn't take it anymore and got out of there.

TImeshare presentation: Crazy as it sounds, the hotel never pressured us to the timeshare meeting! The 2nd day we were supposed to meet a staff member to 'arrange our transfer back to the airport', etc (I think that was the timeshare trick) but when we went to our scheduled time in the lobby, he wasn't there! We lucked out. They never called to reschedule & it never came up the entire week within the hotel. I've learned they require the couple to be married for these presentations (or single over a certain age, etc) Next time, I think we'll lie and say we're not married so everyone else stops bugging us when we go into town. Man, that's annoying.

Fitness Center: Just as the boards said, it was pitiful. 2-3 treadmills, 2 stationary bikes, 2 ellipticals. No weights. Not even room to even stretch out. They did give you bottled water and towels. There was one tv. I'm a runner so treadmill was fine but after 2 days I was bored out of my mind. I should have just ran on the main roads very early in the morning. Later in the day it's too hot and too much traffic. The beach was too small to run on (in my opinion). Others did run on the beach but they aren't avid runners. In the fitness center, at times you had to wait to even get on the machines. 8am, 10:30am and 3-4pm seemed to be the super busy times. When it's busy, it's a 20 minute max time on the machine. You get to use the cool fitness center at Casa Velas for free, but you just have to take the shuttle every time. Again, I should have done that. I heard it was well worth it.

Spa: i never purchased any services from the spa. I'm very picky about my masseuses so I didn't want to be disappointed. I like the very deep, sports type of massage. Though the massage on the beach (they call it the jetty) looked fabulous! I probably should have tried that. Another reviewer said to go into the Marina for a great massage.

Guests & hotel activities; This is an observation, don't read any more into it. The resort was 90% mexican families! It didn't bother us. I just found that so unusual to see so many locals. I'm curious what drew them to this resort. Granted, 99% of the people there were families! That was a negative to us. We thought we'd see 25% couples. Nope, we found 4-5 couples the entire week. The rest families. Crazy. So it wasn't as fun with a gazillion kids running around the pools, playing in every volleyball game, playing blackjack, sitting at the pool bar, etc. I would have liked to see a few adults only activities. One good thing they offered - Every night they did have shuttles going into town to different bars. We didn't want to caravan with the 18 year olds so we hooked up with 2 couples and got our own cab to the Zoo bar. We had a good time. It's basically like Senior Frogs but not as young and not quite as crazy. I guess you can buy passes any night to the bars from Christian or the other activity guy by the pool. For $10 they pay your taxi there and give you a pass to get in. Other bars, you may pay $40 to get in and a table that includes drinks all night long. We didn't want to be stuck at one bar the entire night.

At the hotel, they had various shows every night. None were great in my opinion. But the families seemed to enjoy them I guess. I can only take so many mariachi bands & mimes. The Sunday night Mexican fiesta was huge. They put a lot of work into it. It was in the ballroom. Great mexican food! Just so-so entertainment. I felt like I was at a mexican wedding. Families and kids liked it. It was lovely though for one time.

It really is too bad the lobby bar (if you can call it that) shuts down at 12 then there's nothing to do. The bar isn't a bar. It's a bunch of tables in the lobby with servers that get drinks from the bar that's in the closet with bright fluorescent lights. It's not a bar you can sit at and hang out with a bartender. At least put a candle on each table to give it some ambiance.

Food: In the room, we got the baskets of goodies (chips, nuts, popcorn, cereal, coffee, oatmeal). Then for the fridge, yogurt, milk, orange juice, beer, sodas, etc. They restock it every day. That was an awesome feature to have. I will look for 24 hr room service in every hotel from now on. That was great!!!!

The pizzas are wonderful from room service. You can get them delivered to the pool too. Well you can get anything delivered to the pool, really. This resort is very flexible with things like that. Very creative pizzas and tons of cheese. We tried to stay hungry at night so we could order one late night all the time. The service for room service was excellent too. Usually within 20 minutes and the food was always hot. I requested a special custom pizza they didn't have on the menu and they said no problem! The service in that sense was awesome. Granted, they used canned mushrooms on my custom pizza (blah).

Both restaurants had a ton of choices on their menu as well as buffet items. No matter how picky you are, you can find something you like. We liked the Andrea restaurant better just because of the air condition, better service, more intimate, and nice lounge furniture outside where we finish off our bottle of wine every night. It felt more like a date night for us. The beach restaurant is great for breakfast & lunches. Really, you can't go wrong with either. I just prefer the mood of Andreas better. And they're food presentation is better too. They have different cuisine themes every night. You'll see the repeat a theme like Italian, but they change the options for that theme so it seems different. One problem I had all week is every fish dinner I ordered (or beef) they overcooked it. I'm not sure if that's a chef issue or if the resort does that to ensure it's thoroughly cooked. They had so many wonderful Seabass dishes but it was overcooked every time and that killed the meal for me. Mahi mahi? Overcooked. Salmon? overcooked. So I switched to steak one night. I ordered my New York Steak medium rare and it came out medium well. I was scared to order it rare there (like I do in the states). Oh well, it was still so many choices I never walked away disappointed in the food.

Later in the week, we discovered there was some sort of chef station at both restaurants every night. Stir Fry station, pasta station, etc. You pick your own ingredients and they cook it. Very cool! That is sure to please any picky eaters.

I loved the coffee in the room because it was light flavored. My husband didn't like it. He likes stronger coffee. the restaurants coffee were definitely stronger so you can go there for better coffee. The coke light was awful!!! so syrupy tasting down there. so I detoxed from my daily Diet Coke fix because it was so awful. That was probably a good thing.

I never liked Mexican desserts. Even there ice cream isn't as creamy as the states. But that wasn't a big deal to me. I was stuffed every night.

Dinner as CAsa Velas Resort: This is well worth going. The hotel only gets 6 tables at both restaurants per night so you need to make reservations early in the morning. They start taking them at 7am. Talk about a great date night. Wonderful restaurant, no buffet, amazing options on their menu to choose from, good time all around. That hotel is stunning! It has a high end spa feel right when you walk into the lobby. Even the restrooms are high end with luxurious hand towels wrapped in ribbon.
What was odd is there was only 4 tables being used in the restaurant and 3 were guests from our resort! it was so quiet. Almost creepy! You didn't see hotel guests anywhere! The waiter told me it's an 80 room hotel and they only have 25 rooms occupied this week. Part of me is glad we didn't stay there. I think it would have been way to quite for us. It'd be perfect for honeymooners that want to just veg for a week. Very cool hotel there. I heard you have to take a shuttle to their beach, but that it's private and very upscale. We didn't try their other Oriental restaurant by the beach. I wish we would have. I bet their sushi would have been better than the one at our resort.

POOL: We only stayed at the main activity pool because of the music and the swim up bar. Still, way to many kids all around but we prefer the activity. It'd be nice if the bar pool was adults only. LOVED the fact you didn't have to fight to save a lounge chair early in the morning. A few people would still save their seats before going to breakfast, but very few. The hotel even has warnings posted that they'll take your items at 10:30am if you try to save chairs earlier. Not sure they actually do that but it helped posting it.

store/boutique: They have a general store on the property which is so convenient. I forgot my toothbrush so that made it easy. They have fun american snacks, bread, peanut butter, suntan lotions, etc The boutique is really nice, I thought. The clothing & jewelry there was more interesting than any of the crappy stores downtown. It's just very expensive. I bought some earrings from Brazil for $225. But they are truly unique and worth it to me. Nice hats, swimsuits, etc. Worth going in. I don't like wearing resort logo shirts anymore for some reason. However, they had this amazing Vela Vallarta logo item. An organic cotton, light long sleeve hooded shirt. The material was so soft and the design/cut was stunning! So I plopped down $125 for that and now i have a logo shirt.

Free City Tour: We did this tour. They told us it's be 3 hours. Freakin' 5 hours!!!! I was so tired, hungry, and cranky. Not worth it. You see 2 churches, the main downtown, the stupid flee market with all that hoaky mexican crap, and they drive WAY out of the way to show you ruins (that you barely see because they're so far away). Took forever! I hate organized tours with a ton of people. You're always waiting for some slow poke. Don't do it. Just get a map, ask the concierge about 3 things of interest and go yourself. The tour spent an hour in the flea market. We didn't bother. We went to a restaurant and had beers overlooking the beach. That was nice. The churches were beautiful. I'm catholic so I appreciated them. But just go yourself. It's a very safe city and easy to take buses or taxis. We didn't do any other excursions. I heard the zip lining was fabulous. we should have done that.

Bottom Line: We had a great time and would recommend it for FAMILIES! I wouldn't recommend it for couples with no kids unless you truly don't mind seeing hundreds of kids running around. Though there were massive families and very little adult-only options, we made the best of it and met a few fun couples from the states. We lucked out having the room upgrade. Pay for the room upgrade! That really MADE our trip fabulous. Service was great. Not necessarily better than any other Mexican resort. I have truly believe if we would have been a more high maintenance couple, the staff here would have accommodated every request. That's probably how they got such a high service rating.

1 Thank jjbarbie
Howe, Indiana
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We returned from a week stay at Velas Vallarta in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with a whole new outlook on service. This is not going to be the same old same old review that everyone else writes on here. This vacation was one of our best ever. The service was AWESOME. We normally go to Cancun but wanted to try someplace different. We exchanged this resort thru RCI Exchange. This was our first time using our RCI membership and we were very nervous. Would we be treated different being RCI members, service quality, room assignment, etc? Everything was great!!!!!!

I did a lot of research on this resort on Trip Advisor, reading reviews and other web sites too. So I was hoping for the best, since we are used to 5 star resorts. We are not rich, but our yearly vacations are a MUST for us and we spend a lot of time planning our trips.

I had some issues with not getting the e-mail responses from Velas Vallarta I had expected. Then I read on Trip Advisor about this girl named Geraldine. She wears many hats at Velas, but I was hoping for answers so I e-mailed her. WOW Geraldine got right back to me and must have pulled some strings in the other departments I had not heard from because they IMMEDIATELY e-mailed me. She had our transportation handled, the room reserved, and all-inclusive confirmation taken care of. I had my answers and she put us at ease. I let her know how much we appreciated her help and was looking forward to seeing the west coast of Mexico for the first time and we would be celebrating my birthday while we were there. She got back to me to advise us that we had been upgraded with her boss’s approval to VIP guests, with a better room view and a big birthday surprise. WOW this girl really made things happen. Now I was really excited to go. Geraldine and I had e-mailed a few more times before we left. She said she would be waiting for us to arrive.

VIP transportation was waiting at the airport for us and quickly took us to the resort without any hassles from the time share sharks. We got to the resort 2 hours before the check in time, which is ok; they gave us cold drinks while we were checking in. Once we were checked in they told us we could go anywhere and do anything we wanted since we had our all inclusive bands. So off to the pool area we went for our first drinks and something to eat. We wanted to meet Geraldine so we asked and were told it was her day off. We really wanted to meet her but would have to wait until the next day. When we went to our room, chocolate covered strawberries and Champaign were waiting for us. We got the 1 bedroom suite which has a separate bedroom from the living room/dining area/kitchenette. We could not believe how large the suite was. Around 6:20 pm our phone rang and it was Geraldine she said she must have missed us at check in. She said she was excited to meet us and to sit tight and she would be right up to meet us in our room. Now this is cool. She was supposed to get off work at 6pm and she took time to come up to our room, to meet us and make sure our room was ok. She was full of smiles and information and she took pictures with us. She made us feel so welcome.

Geraldine worked every day throughout the week and would check with us to see if we needed anything or had any questions. She called our room on my birthday and said she wanted to come up. She presented us with an invitation to a formal dinner at their sister resort Casa Velas. After she left our room, within minutes a birthday cake arrived, campaign and more chocolate covered strawberries. Transportation by the resort shuttle van was provided to get us to the dinner. If you get a chance to eat at Casa Velas do so. It is an outstanding culinary experience and the food is fabulous. Here we received another birthday cake along with a beautiful experience. At the end of our weeks stay, the day of departure Geraldine called to tell us to stop by and see her as she had our airline confirmation and boarding tickets for us for our return flights home plus transportation back to the airport all set up. We have never been treated this good. This was all done for us at no cost.

This resort was beautiful and like all the other reviews say the service was fantastic and beyond our expectations. The rooms were large and comfortable; we liked the separate living room and bedroom. We could relax in the living room at night, watch TV and check e-mails. The separate bedroom was great. We really liked it and there were 2 different air conditioning thermostats for your comfort. The resort grounds were manicured to top notch and absolutely beautiful. The swimming pools were really nice and refreshing. We ate at both of the restaurants and loved them. The food was good and there were lots of selections. We preferred the one at the beach so we could eat and watch the ocean and bay. The service was great, all of the staff was more than happy to help you.
This resort was top notch and we will be back.

The following is not the resorts fault but I need to let you know. I watched the Puerto Vallarta web cam that showed the malecon a lot before we went. I read a lot of reviews and not many people commented about the ocean, and on the web cam no one was playing the water. We went during rainy season. It seemed to us that no matter where we went in the bay, close to town or at the resort, the water was real muddy. This was because the rivers flow from the mountains into the bay and cause this muddy condition. I love crystal blue clear water, and this was a huge disappointment to us, since we like to play in the water. Don’t get me wrong, you can play in it, and the ocean was really warm, but it was real muddy and full of sand. We did venture to areas away from town and the resorts and the water was clearer and beautiful. I just wonder when it isn’t rainy season how the water is? Anyone with feedback, I'd sure appreciate it.

This resort was great and we cannot say enough great things about the service and staff. The people work a lot of hours and their job becomes their lives. Some employees go months without a day off in the busy season, and work 12-13 hours a day. They truly love their country and making you happy.
We went on the Sierra Madre, Sea Lion Encounter, City Tour and Rythems of the Night tours. All were excellent. We took over 1200 pictures so if you are looking for any certain ones e-mail us. Also any feed back on ocean water condition please e-mail.
slnascar36@gmail.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallar...
#8 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#31 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Velas Vallarta? Share your experiences!