“Everything I had hoped for”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Velas Vallarta

Velas Vallarta
Ranked #5 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mesa, Arizona
“Everything I had hoped for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2005

We stayed at this lovely location for the week of 9/23-9/30/2005. Apparently this is considered off-season. It felt as if we had the whole place to ourselves many times. We had 6 adults and stayed in a 3 bedroom suite. The decor was very nice and the place was extremely clean. We all took advantage of the comfort and beautiful view from our 4th floor balcony which overlooked the pool and bay. I enjoyed and was impressed by the staff and the facility in every respect. We were greeted at the airport and had a complimentary ride to the resort. Our driver even made a quick detour for us to stop and exchange currency. Our group of 6 people was diverse yet everyone had a wonderful time (our ages ranged from 20 to 51 - male and female). The resort offered 2 complimentary tours which we took advantage of and enjoyed. I forgot to mention that we took advantage of the all inclusive package. WOW!!! The food and drinks were non stop and very good. I feel that we definately got our moneys worth. Christian the event coordinator was a hoot and made everything run smooth. Some of our group had massages, rented jet skiis and went horseback riding - all with no complaints. The ONLY negative thing I would point out is that the humidity (especially for an Arizona girl) was extremely high - hense off-season, but as someone in another review mentioned it wasn't anything that couldn't be dealt with after a quick (or not so quick!) dip in the pool or bay. I would thoroughly recommend this location and would love to return some day.

16 Thank kelly8059

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (874)
Raeford, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2005

My wife and I just returned from a weeklong stay at Velas Vallarta. The two of us have traveled extensively; we certainly enjoy our vacations - after all, we've earned them! This being our first all-inclusive (A-I) vacation, we had high expectations, expecting above average service. Velas Vallarta exceeded all expectations while greeting us with the finest, warmest hospitatility.

First off, we facilitated our arrival by communicating early (about a week out) and sent the Velas Vallarta staff a note regarding our arrival to include dates, times, expectations, and some questions/concerns that we had. We received a prompt response from the resort staff. We recieved two responses within 24 hrs; both were from hotel managers ensuring us that appropriate accomodations were made for our arrival and stay. Upon arrival in PV, we were immediately corraled by Velas Vallarta reps who coordinated our transportation.

Rodrigo at the concierge is top notch, contact this gentlemen if you have any specific questions. Room service and maid service there is also top notch. The one bedroom room that we stayed in was enormous, lush, and clean. We did find some ants but they did not eat much…The elevator to our building and room was slow, but we were never really in a hurry; however, for others…this may be an concern.

We thought that the nightly, themed cuisines were excellent as were the festivities. For an A-I, the food was fantastic – no complaints here. We enjoyed both restaurants especially La Ribeira where we nearly ate on the beach. If asked, the staff will make plenty of top-shelf drinks…if you don’t see something that you like, just ask – they will make it happen.

Some Tips:
1. Whenever you can, convert your USD to pesos at a bank vs at the hotel.
2. If you attend a timeshare brief, get confirmation of your money’s-worth ahend of time (massages, golf, other discounts). Must use a credit card vs. debit card to reserve timeshare brief.
3. Tipping a few USD above the A-I rate pays big dividends. The staff was very attentive and accommodating.
4. Take advantage of the room service, it’s free under A-I. So go ahead and request special beverages such as chapagne or beer and don’t be afraid to stock up.
5. Make coordination ahead of time to authorize charges while overseas.
6. Messages on the cove near the beach are well worth it – both relaxing and romantic, highly recommended.
7. Buy tequila at Wal-Mart.

Other than the included city tour, which was good, we did not venture out other than to Wal-Mart. While we did hear that some of the other tours were good, we really just wanted to veg, occasionally work-out and relax all week...

All of these tips, other reviews, the staff at Velas Vallarta and our own awareness made this trip a relaxing and unforgettable trip…Let us know if you have any additional questions...R/Chris and Lisa

27 Thank Chris and Lisa P
Camrose, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2005

We stayed at the Velas Vallarta Sept 12 - 19, 2005 and had a great time. There were four of us travelling, two adults and my daughter and her boyfriend. They upgraded us to a one bedroom from the studio. It was very hot and humid but nothing a cold drink at the pool bar would not fix. We bought the all inclusive and thought it was an excellent deal. We are owners so it was $49 US per person per day and I am sure we ate/drank every penny of it. My only critism would be that it would have been nice to have a washer and dryer available to us. We went on the dune buggies and got covered with mud. My daughter and her boyfriends dune buggy started on fire. We also went on the canopy tour. If you are going to do that, I heard that the one that is NOT the set of the Preditor is way better. The one at the Preditor site you had to climb SOOOOO many stairs. We went on the free shopping tour but bailed out at the flea market because it was going back up to the Preditor set. We rented a jet ski for $60 US for 1/2 hour. My friend said that it was not worth it. The resort was pretty quiet when we got there but then all the guys that were in the motorcycle races came and the place went nuts. They switched from glasses at the bar to plastic disposable glasses. It was kinda gross to think that there were so many people at the pool bar and the bathroom lineups were non existant. The coolest thing that happened was that an iguana went for a swim in the pool...a huge iguana. The food was good. The resort was well maintained and very clean. We went to one timeshare presentation just so that my friend could experience it. It was so hot and humid that day that it really didn't matter. We recieved $250 US for going. Not too bad. But I know for sure that I would never buy a timeshare there (Mayan Palace). I did not like the layout. Velas Vallarta has everything right there. You don't have to walk for miles to get food/drinks or back to your room for that matter. We used the room service for pizza/beer quite a few times. We had a great view of the pool bar and at night saw some awesome lightning shows. The casino night there was alot of fun. I don't know about the rest of the shows except for the mexican show. It was good. Well, that is about it. Had a great time!

25 Thank SheCasper21
SACRAMENTO,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2005

My family and I just returned from Velas Vallarta for the Labor Day weekend. This place is sweet. You can lay on your behind and they will bring you food and drinks all day long. You don't have to move. The place is beautiful. The landscape is the replica of the area you are staying in. It is a jungle but tamed. The staff is excellent and constantly pampering the guests. I suggest this property for a relaxing and enjoyable vacation for anyone. I read the negative reviews and suggest the authors need to get a life.

10 Thank JCWINSAC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2005

My fiance and I spent a week in Puerto Vallarta during July. We booked our vacation through Travelocity, which was our first mistake. Our second mistake came in staying at the Velas Vallarta.

Upon arrival, we too were told that there was not a room for us, even though I had confirmed our reservations twice before arriving. After persistance and 3 hours of arguing, we were given a room on the bottom floor with a view of the gardens. Keep in mind that we had paid extra for a one bedroom suite with an ocean view.

We arrived on a Monday and on Thursday, after I asked day after day, we were moved to a higher floor with an ocean view.

Besides that major problem, we were able to enjoy ourselves with the rest that the hotel had to offer.

The room that they finally moved us to was a beautiful room on the sixth floor, building two. We had a one-bedroom suite which was complete with everything that we needed. The kitchen had all of the utensils and cooking wear that we needed. The bathroom was spacious. The bed was very comfortable and pillows were great. Once up that high, the view was wonderful.

The beach was not very big and was in fact very dirty. Evidently three rivers empty into the bay, which we did not realize until we were there, so the water was brown.

Drinks were expensive, more than I had expected, and the lobby bar is a little hole in the wall with lawn chairs. Food was o.k., however we only ate the pizza.

One thing to keep in mind is that there was a safe in our room, and use it! We kept everything of value in there. We would however come back to our room and find that cans of Coke would be missing, milk, etc.

The maid staff was honestly friendly (probably the ones taking our food and drinks) and spoke very little english. They were there every day, even when our sign said "Do not disturb." They also would help themselves in every night around 10 p.m. to see if we wanted any chocolate.

Besides one very helpful front desk woman, the rest of the staff was rude and unhelpful. One man, who I assumed was the manager of the shift, actually talked with a fellow employee about how I was crazy. (I speak Spanish but they did not know this.)

We did not get bothered once with time shares. There were workers on the beach selling t-shirts, jewelry, hair braids, etc., but with a simple "no gracias" they wouldn't bother again for that day.

If I were to go back to P.Vallarta, I would stay at the Mayan Palace. We had family staying there the same week we did, and we spent several different days with them over that week. Their room was great, food was awesome, beach was big and loaded with activities. Drinks were cheaper and better, staff was helpful, wonderful, and very personable. Do yourself a favor and look into the Mayan Palace, it was cheap and well worth it!

• Stayed July 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2005

My fiance and I recently just got back (Aug 14th - 20th) from the Velas Vallarta Grand Suites Resort and we loved it. We were looking to relax and have some fun in the sun and we got it. First off, we were never talked to once about a timeshare, no hassels or anything; it could be because we are both 21 but no one approached us. This made us very happy because we heard it could get bad.
We walked into our room on the top floor and we were amazed. From the hallway we could see downtown PV and from our balcony you could see the gardens/pools/and ocean without leaning over the railing. We did go during the rainy season and were a little worried of the forecast being scattered thunderstorms every day. We arrived and it was a little overcast but hot (also hottest part of the year) and humid. We got into our room and settled in and it started pouring, very hard. The thunder and lighting was crazy, I've never seen anything like it. We got lucky and it only rained for 3 days and only from about 6:30 - 8:30 pm. The rain never put a damper on our day.
We took a snorkeling cruise ($40 per person) the resort set us up with and it was an average trip. The snorkeling was dissapointing since its the rainy season and the ocean is dirty. The boat was nice and we got an open bar and lunch provided, we also got taken to a beach for a couple hours to hang out. We also took a city tour which was free through the resort and only drinks were provided. The shopping in the flea markets was good, we got to shop for over an hour but one tour was only allowed 20 minutes. They took us to various places to look at and then a great restaurant for lunch.
The All-Inclusive was by far the best part of the vacation. The meals were good, we loved the nachos, and all the drinks were great too. The drinks were a little weak but since it was all free we just had them throw in some more alcohol. Try the coco loco if your looking for a powerful drink. Its in a full coconut with about five different alcohols and a splash of juice! Anyway by the end of the trip I realized that everything was free and I didn't have to hold back so I was ordering two entrees at every meal and got room service to bring up champagne and tequilla and there was no extra charge.
The pools were great, the beach was ok, and the people who were staying there were very friendly as well. Nightlife in PV was fun but I would reccomend going with a few people you know. The resort has people who take groups to the best parties they know about. It was open bar and free transportation but you have to pay cover charges and most of the time it was $30.
The resort always makes sure they have something going on so if you wanted to stay at the resort all day and still do something fun you always had the chance (volleyball, spontaneous games, water aerobics, music, ping pong, jet skis, parasailing, etc.). It was definitely a great place to relax and great for all ages.
If your thinking about booking a room without a balcony I would reconsider, we had to stay in another room because of a leak in the roof (from the rain at night) and they put us in a room without a living room and without a balcony and our room was far and away better than our temporary room.
I'd reccomend this resort to everyone. Touch up on your spanish, its helpful.

• Stayed August 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2005

We just got back from a week at the Velas Vallarta, PVR. We are a family of 4 (with 2 young kids, both under 10 yrs old). We reached PVR airport at 11:45 AM after leaving the bay area (california) by an early AM flight. Kids were tired and hungry. We had just collected our bags.

We saw a Velas Vallarta desk at the airport. Walked up to it to find out what would be the easiest way to get to the hotel. That's when we got taken!

Turns out that Mr Rolando (who wears a Velas Vallarta uniform) was really with their Timeshare Sales. Though he would n't tell us as much of course! He offered us a "free" ride to the hotel. All we had to do was meet him early, at 8:15 AM the next day, to reclaim a "$10 USD Deposit" that he wanted from us. He said he had a small "presentation" for us at that time, for no more than 90 minutes, and at the end of it, we would get a coupon certificate for $500 pesos (i.e. $50 USD). Our other option: pay $5 USD per person (i.e. $20 USD total) to get to the hotel.

What we should have done: Paid our own way to the hotel!
What we did: A Big Mistake! We took Mr Rolando's $10USD Deposit Deal!

We overslept the next day, missed the meeting with Mr Rolando. We thought it was no big deal, we could forget about our $10 deposit and the $50 coupon certificate. But were we wrong! For the phone calls started, urging us to attend the "90 minute presentation".

We went and met Ms Lucy in the hotel lobby. She started pitching a range of discount deals to us (a $45 massage, instead of $60 USD regular price). We
finally were co-erced into attending the timeshare pitch the next morning.

The Pitch:

They say 90 minutes, but it was really over 2 hours!
They wanted $33K for us to "pre-buy" 25 weeks of time in their resort over the next 25 years, with the option to exchange our time at other locations and resorts for an exchange fee etc!!!
If we were to decide right then (i.e. a "First Visit Incentive") they would double the weeks, i.e. it was 50 weeks for $33K!
They had a "great deal" for us; we only need to put down 25%, ie approx $8,500 USD and we could finance the rest, for monthly payments of "just $608 USD per month"!

For an additional $4K or so, they would throw in an annuity that guarantees that we get our investment money of $33K back after 25 years!

It does not take a genius to figure out that this is a complete scam!

TIP: If you really want to sign up for a timeshare deal, just go to the "aftermarket" and do a direct deal with another timeshare owner (where the price will be deeply discounted, and the upfront cost will begin to make some sense!)

By this time, we were past the 90 minute mark, and I was kicking myself (as was my wife) for falling for this "free ride" scam at the airport!

We somehow got out, saying our kids were out with our friends, and we needed to go get them!

Bottom line, the $70 or so that they offered us, was simply not worth the aggravation and the hassle!

So we would suggest, if you run into Mr Rolando at the airport, or Ms Lucy in the lobby pitching you a timeshare deal, just keep on walking!

Our stay otherwise was just fine. We found the other hotel staff quite helpful and our vacation overall was quite enjoyable.....

• Stayed August 2005
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,519 reviews
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallar...
#8 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,712 reviews
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#31 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,791 reviews

Been to Velas Vallarta? Share your experiences!