“Beautiful oasis in Puerto Vallarta”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Velas Vallarta

Velas Vallarta
Ranked #5 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boxborough, Massachusetts
“Beautiful oasis in Puerto Vallarta”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

For our trip, several friends gathered at Velas Vallarta with a couple returning for the second time and others for the first. The resort is beautiful and wonderful for family and friends.

Before I write on various elements:
Biggest plus: the service of the staff.
Biggest negative: the heavy, overbearing push to buy the timeshare.

(Food and drink) We were with the all-inclusive so all meals and beverages were included. Usually we had breakfast and dinner at Andrea's restaurant and lunch at La Ribera's, which is ocean-side. At both, the service is excellent. The food ranges from good to pretty-good. It's not lights-out but you will never go lacking. The interesting thing is you can order off of a menu or eat from the buffet. For food, we also made use of room-service for the days when we had to be out the door before the restaurants had not opened. Our fridge was always stocked with beverages, particularly bottled-water, which was indispensable as it was 90 degrees and humid each day. For drinks, there was no lack of choices in juices or sodas. Beer was, unfortunately, provided in cans but I am a beer snob. I stuck with the mixed drinks. Surprisingly, good sipping tequilas were not stocked but if you had a margherita, we were fine. I do recommend the mango margherita. On day, our group went fishing and brought the catch back to La Ribera's. The chef did an excellent job of cooking the catch in two different styles for our party.

(Rooms) As a large group, we had two different suites. Our hosts had the main suite with an adjoining studio. I was in a different two bedroom suite with one bedroom having a king sized bed and mine having two queen beds. The rooms were spacious with a living room plus kitchenette. There was also a balcony overlooking the courtyard. One drawback is the Puerto Vallarta has an abundance of pigeons that may defecate on the balcony. We had to call room service to get the balcony cleaned. We also had a problem one time with the plumbing; a call for service resulted in someone being there in under five minutes. Rooms have air-conditioning and ceiling fans. Room service came every day and did a really good job; also they courteously would return later if the timing was bad for you. In rooms TV kept us up-to-date on U.S. news or sports, such as world series, or you could watch any number of the Mexican channels.

(Beach) The beach is beautiful and sandy. The surf in front of Velas had a rougher surf than other resorts down the way, which had protected coves. Just something to note if a storm has been through. There are shaded beach chairs making for a nice location for napping. Vendors do come up and down selling their wares but won't bother you if you are asleep. You can say no thank you otherwise and they will not press. There were turtles laying eggs and you can see their tracks.

(Pools) There are three pools in the courtyard with the smallest being for children. I think max-depth was about 4 or so feet. While we were there, it had been incredibly hot so the pools were lucky to be refreshing until we got a night of rainstorms. The pools should be cooler in the winter months. The lower pool by the ocean was the most exposed to sun so that was the warmest. The upper pool with the waterfall had the most shade. As a quick note, it was not crowded during our stay so there was no competition for shaded seats. If you get into the high-season that may change. There were pool activities including aerobics and volleyball or pool side games such as ping pong. The activities were well-scheduled and gave a good chance to interact with other guests.

(Other amenities) The resort is actually quite large and has a decent sized store which we used for sunblock, bandaids, and stamps. There is a spa, which several of my friends used. I did not but I hear it was nice. There is also a small exercise room that we were all too tired to use. However it was there.

(Nearby) The resort is in a nice, kinda upscale area of town minutes from the airport. You can walk along the beach past the other resorts or go along the boulevard to the marina where there are stores or vendors for activities (fishing, ziplining). It felt very safe. This has zero reflection on Velas but there was the Neptune mall down the road which was very American; I was disappointed as I was not in Mexico to feel like being in the U.S. On the beach or at the marina, you will have people approach you to take a tour, buy a product, or take a timeshare. Once again, they take no very well. I used the opportunity to talk with them and practice Spanish. Or you can simply talk business to learn rates or other information such as what fish were being caught.

(Activities) Our group took part in a number of activities for which I'll write reviews apart from here. Velas Vallarta can schedule and take payment for these and provide plenty of information on getting you there. The prices through Velas are higher but you are well taken care of. They were also good for, say, you had photos taken on these excursions and the company needed to drop them off the day afterward. For us, we did ziplining, fishing, San Sebastien tour, ATV riding, and parasailing. There was no lack of things to occupy our time and we even had to cancel a tequila tour as we were just plain exhausted.

(Service) As mentioned, the service was the best aspect of Velas Vallarta. Everyone was courteous and tried to fulfill your requests or needs. The staff was very friendly and it wasn't, say, because they were trying to get the best tip. They were genuinely very nice, professional people and it was pleasant to talk with them about their families or work.

(Time-share) Here's the biggest gripe that I had with Velas: The huge push to purchase the time-share. Keep in mind that the time-share and hotel are two different things. However, when we arrived at the airport, we were to have a no-cost shuttle arranged to Velas; that's where the time-share push started without us even realizing it at first. They had to have $10 that we would get back once we got to the resort. Then we found out, we got the $10 after we spoke to someone about the timeshare. Then we had to sit with another person as we tried to discuss activities where the time-share was raised again and again with the bait being a discount on the activity tours if we went through the time-share presentation. Finally, three of us consented to go upstairs to talk to someone about the time-share to get the others away on their vacation. Upstairs, they then told us that our wives needed to be present. This went so on and so forth. To sum it up, the story kept changing as we were passed from one handler to another. We finally got a little short. The final sales rep who got us realized that about three hours of our time had been wasted and the sales pitch so botched that we had already tuned him out. He had zero chance of selling us anything. Our host was fuming at the treatment. If you go to Velas, beware of this. I'm not sure what we could have done different apart from putting our foot down earlier; however, we were trying to start vacation and not looking for a battle. The true shame is on the time-share people at Velas as they were the only black mark on the place.

2 Thank OutInWoods
luis a, General Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your very organized review. The descriptions that you touch on concerning the resort and its comfort are right on the mark. We could actually say that you could do our next rewrite of our web page with all the experiences and observations that you share. One can almost feel the moment in reading your narrative. However, I must deeply apologize for our breakdown in the timeshare promotion process. You do mention in your review that “the time share and the hotel are two different things” and in a sense they are two different administrations. However, we are under the same umbrella, with the same logo and of course the same owner. Your experience in the promotion process is important for us as a group, and I will take it into my hands that that same process will be reviewed and reshaped as not to cause any awkward moments for any of our guests. I certainly hope that the positives very much outweighed the not so positives and from the general sense of your review, I feel that your second stay with us was very much a success. I also certainly hope to host you again for a third time and please feel free to introduce yourself when that time comes. Thank you again and take care.

langaritavv@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The most amazingly friendly and attentive staff and what a beautiful and clean property! I was a guest(my sisters time share) but couldn't have been treated any better. Both restaurants are fantastic-we had the all-inclusive and was concerned that we would get tired of the buffets, but not so. Everyday the buffets at each restaurant had new selections and everything was so fresh. So many choices of juice, fruit and main entrees. Also the theme nights were amazing! Every staff member made it their job to ensure your every need was attended to. The rooms were great, we had a studio attached to my sisters suite. Perfect arrangement for privacy and group fun. From the moment you arrived (neck and shoulder massage while we checked in), to the day we left, our vacation was so relaxing. thank you Velas for a REAL vacation,

Room Tip: we were on the third floor-perfect vantage for all of it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very positive review on your recent stay with us in October. Our staff will be very happy to find out that you noticed the attention to detail; from our juice selection, food choices, size of suites and service orientated personnel, our goal is to try to exceed the expectations of our clients. I am glad that you consider your trip “a real vacation” and we would most certainly like the opportunity to equal or better all this on your next stay with us. Thank you again and take care.

Washingtonville, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was our 4th return to the Velas, and it feels like coming home...
We know what to expect, and never are we disappointed....Our room, the staff, the beautiful landscaped property to the great restaurants, The Andrea and La Riberia..all wonderful. To Miquel who was always there for us by the pool with a smile and a drink..Thank You!!
Looking forward to returning in the future!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your splendid review on “your Mexican home”. We certainly look forward to your next arrival, and of course Miguel will be always present with his kind smile and dedicated service. Thank you again for sharing your enthusiasm and especially for your loyalty toward Velas Vallarta. And be rest assured that that same loyalty is gratefully returned in kind to you.
Nisswa, Minnesota
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I have been going to Puerto Vallarta for over 20 years, but in 1998 I took my family for a week for my first time at Velas. Everyone loved it so I became a member. I have gone every year since, inviting friends and family. The previous reviews tell my story. From stepping out of the van from the airport when the bellmen and the bell captain Miguel greet you with,"Welcome back" and call you by name. Don Willis has been such a great help to me and my family over the years. The checkin for members has gotten better and better. The service at the pool and dining are above excellant. The pool has a gem in Jacinto. Andre gourmet restaurant Carlos.The key board player remembers the song I requested the year my mom and dad died. It was their favorite song, Marialaina. I had to hum it and he got it. Every year after when he sees me at the table he plays the song for me. The activities staff, Christian and Fernando are great. I will be returning again this year and am so looking forward to Velas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marlene m
Dear Marlene, from your words it looks like you have an extended family at Velas Vallarta. And in many ways it is, as you are now three generations of making dear friends within the resort. The friendships and the fond memories that you take with you to Minnesota after each trip inspire us here to make your next vacation even more memorable. Please be assured Marlene that your extraordinary friends mentioned here, as well as the rest of our staff, will be made aware of the genuine impact that their humble dedication has made on you, and on your family. Marlene, God bless, and I would be delighted to meet you on your next stay here at your home away from home.
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The real Mexico vacation. Mexicans who have money come here to vacation and so the foreigner gets to vacation where real Mexicans play. Immersion in Mexican culture has a lasting affect on one's experience abroad making this location of travel value. Friendly people, a desire to break stereotypes and learning how big the world is fills your senses at Velas Vallarta a Marina. Turtles on the beach, awesome views, plenty of action just a short walk or taxi ride, warm sand, sea and everything. My favorite Mexico vacation location.

Room Tip: Bring friends, share costs then get the best room you want to afford. See website for best photos. R...
1 Thank bruce n
Thank you Bruce for your observations and insights on traveling in the Puerto Vallarta area. You are absolutely correct when you talk of the friendly people here. And with everything at your fingertips to enjoy including just relaxing and experiencing the local flavor. Bruce, thank you again for your marvelous perspective.

Seattle, WA
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My wife and I were in Puerto Vallarta for a close friend's wedding, and we joined the crowd at the Velas Vallarta. It was a quiet week--only a few hundred guests were in the hotel; the wedding party was about a third of the crowd.

My wife and I have never stayed at an all-inclusive resort before; we thought this would be an interesting change of pace. Could we manage to lie next to the pool for five days straight, doing no more work than lifting a hand to bring a pina colada from table to mouth, or swim a lazy lap across the pool? (We call that the "Shamu" lifestyle, which makes the ubiquitous white-clad waiters our trainers.)

We didn't last long. On the first morning, we joined a group of friends going off on a tour of the area, and we discovered that Puerto Vallarta is an interesting city, perched on the edge of rain forest and mountains and ocean. But we tried. Oh, we tried. We laid by the pool, lazed in the ocean, joined in water volleyball games and read a paperback. Waiters brought us nachos (ok). taquitos (great), and drinks (intentionally weak, I think, given how much guests drink). Meals were perfectly fine, although variety was limited. The pool is large and luxuriant, but never more than four feet deep; the ocean is nearby, but--because it is close to the river--very cloudy.

After two days, we ventured off campus. We booked trips (on our own) to a zipline, we found our way to Yelepa, and we swam with dolphins. We ate at an amazing restaurant downtown. Sure, the ossobusco at Velas was nice -- but there is truly mind-blowing food to be had in town.

(Velas would happily have booked these for us, with a substantial markup: the dolphin trip, for example, is over $100 / person through the hotel, and two-thirds of that online.)

I have no real complaints about the hotel or the space. It is beautifully constructed, and leads to a magnificently relaxed experience. The one downside is that we were placed in a "studio" room; the wedding party had hoped we would get upgrades to the better view rooms, but that did not work out. The "studio" rooms are pleasant enough, but the bed is right below the window to the hallway: if you want any privacy, make sure to seal the window shades, or give passers-by an eyeful!

And so: if Velas is the sort of thing you like, you will like it. We tried it; it's not really our speed.

6 Thank DanFromSeattle
luis a, General Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you Dan for your observations on your recent trip to Puerto Vallarta, and also for your fair and balanced comments concerning your preference in resort concepts. As you have noted there are many adventures to experience while in Puerto Vallarta, and much interest on the part of our kind tourists in seeing and experiencing the local landscape and culture such as you had. And although you are not a fan of the All Inclusive concept, you are proof that one can actually do both, venturing out on the town, as well as relaxing and being pampered by the pool and restaurants. The studio unit you had reserved is as you said pleasant and nicely furnished. However, they are the most economical suite in our inventory, our larger inventory are one, two and three bedroom suites.
Dan, I certainly appreciate your comments and apologize for any shortcomings that you may have experienced as a result of hotel selection. Perhaps in the future you can give the concept another opportunity, and if it is to be at Velas Vallarta or any of our other resorts please do not hesitate to contact us to better ensure your overall comfort. Thank you again for your visit.

Tracy, California
Reviewed October 22, 2013

In my last review of the Velas resort, I thought it couldn't get any better. Well I was wrong. This last two weeks were beyond anything my family has every enjoyed. From the moment we stepped out of the transporter from the airport, we were greeted with the words "welcome home" That's the feeling you get when staying at the Velas Vallarta. True, we have been there many times, but that's reason we keep going back. The staff, the rooms, the food service, plus the plush grounds surrounding the pool/beach were excellent. Donald and his entire staff go out of their way to make sure your needs are met.
The front desk/guest services (Michelle) made sure that the New York Times was printed and ready every morning. Her smile and genuine care were evident each day. The food staff took the time to prepare a gormet dinner for my grandson's birthday. The dinner on the beach will long be remembered.
Christina, who oversees the dinning facility on the beach was and always has been a true professional.
She shows here love for the guests in a way that only a dedicated employee could. I may sound like I owned all or part of the Velas(I wished I did), but the fact is we will return soon to our home away from home.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms offer a quick access the the pool/beach
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank royhawkins2013
luis a, General Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you Sr. Hawkins for your glowing review. Your words are a great motivation for all our staff. We will share your comments with all of them, and your special mention to Donald, Michelle and Christina so that they can see first hand the positive results of their work. For us it is always a pleasure to host you and your gracious family; I can see that during all these years you and your family have made a lot of friendly interaction with some of our employees. We hope that you keep preferring our resort and for sure we will be very glad to be able to share more experiences with you and your family. And of course Michelle will make sure that you always have your New York Times ready every morning.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallar...
#8 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#31 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Velas Vallarta? Share your experiences!