“Great Stays at Velas Vallarta!”
Review of Velas Vallarta

Velas Vallarta
Ranked #5 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Wisconsin
“Great Stays at Velas Vallarta!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our family has enjoyed many wonderful vacations at Velas Vallarta! We have returned six times and plan on returning a 7th later this year. The resort is meticulously kept--very clean and inviting. The landscaping is just as beautiful. All of the staff strive to make your vacation time in Puerto Vallarta memorable. The on-site restaurants offer both gourmet and delicious dining and excellent service. The Guest Relations Manager, Mr. Donald Willis, does a great job of answering any questions that may arise and is a fine representative of the resort. It is truly a pleasure to visit and experience relaxation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Why thank you for your wonderful comments and for your continued loyalty to Velas Vallarta. We know that the variety of vacation destinations and resorts is very immense and that the competition for your patronage is every day more and more competitive. That is why we cherish the already established clients that we have by maintaining and improving the service and product that you have come to know. With our new guests, we just love it when they tell us how much they have enjoyed themselves here, and that really motivates us to exceed their expectations with each visit in the future. We truly look forward to making your 7th visit one to remember. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (884)
London, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Velas Vallarta is our favourite place to stay and Puerto Vallarta is our favourite place to visit. We have been coming here for many years. The Resort is close to the airport and marina and a short bus or cab ride into the city. The Resort grounds are like a well manicured garden paradise; many trees, meandering streams and walkways.There are three pools, a quiet pool for adults, an activity pool for the younger set, and a children's pool. There are two restaurants, one on the beach and the other a little more formal, with great food, and a BBQ for snacks during the day. Staff are very attentive and friendly. There is always someone around to attend to your needs. The accommodations are very spacious, comfortable and well appointed. Very safe.

Room Tip: A 0ne bedroom suite on the first floor has an extra wide balcony compared to those higher up.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
If one has ever visited Puerto Vallarta, they would know why it is your favourite holiday destination. Accesibility and freedom to travel to distinct parts of the bay in relatively short time and at very economical rates. Whether it be by bus, taxi, rental vehicle or private guide, seeing and getting a feel for the local area is very tempting. The hospitality of the local residents is unparalled and after your first adventure you will want to see and do more in this tropical paradise. And being at Velas Vallarta makes touring that much easier to do, as the resort is centrally located between the beach towns to the north and the Sierra Madre Mountains to the south, as well as close to the airport and to downtown Puerto Vallarta, just as you mentioned. Michael, thank you for your kind comments, and I know that with every future visit you make to Velas, you will find a new, hidden gem to explore here in The Bay of Banderas.
Ventura, California, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is my fourth trip to Velas Vallarta and once again, I felt like I was coming home. My first stop upon arrival is to stop by the desk of Donald Willis the assistant manager. I consider him a dear friend and once I see him, I know my vacation is going to be perfect. He never fails to make it that way.
I had my first meeting with Christian, the member service employee and was very impressed with him. Not only was he welcoming and friendly but also very efficient.
Because of my previous trips to Velas, I have favorite employees that I regard as friends. At Andreas restaurant my two friends are waiters Juan and Ernesto. At Bibera restaurant by the bay,
my favorite waiter is Adrian who I regard as my Puerto Vallarta son.
I had a fantastic massage at the spa from Adriana. I can recommend her highly.
Although the resort was very busy at this time, the service I received was excellent. My accommodations are always excellent
I guess it is pretty obvious that I love Velas. I can't wait to return again soon

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Joyce J
Hola Joyce, here is to another relaxing vacation at your favourite Mexican destination, Velas Vallarta. As an active person that really cares about the friends that surround you, you have certainly made an impression with the personnel that you mention in your review. Even when you are not here, they ask me about how you are, and if I know when you will be returning. I know that through rain or shine we can count on your presence and the door is always open for when you wish to join us. In the meantime keep strong and remember that you have some dear friends here at Velas Vallarta wishing you the best.
Bronx, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2013

As an owner, I haven’t been back here since 2007 because of issues with the Sales department and still encountered issues with the sales department, Mr. Rodriguez who was extremely rude. But the customer service and rest of the staff were absolutely amazing, shout out to Veronica who took care of any concern I had during my stay from the minute I arrived until my departure. She really kept me grounded. Karen was extremely helpful in arranging our excursions and our outings. Erik and Oscar were our super star waiters at Andrea’s restaurant. They would have our table ready with our drinks every morning and even during lunch. Even towards the end of our trip when we became ill, they would get us soup to calm our troubled stomachs. They treated us like family and that I will never forget. Room service and cleaning staff was stellar even up to taking care of our laundry. It was amazing. They maintained every aspect of the hotel cleaned inside and out. The staff sang “Happy Birthday” for my friend and prepared a wonderful cake for her. We did a massage on the beach….so worth it! It was a great experience to hear the ocean and enjoy a full body aromatherapy massage.

My concerns were the following: internet connection was poor and they actually charge for the limited connection (go to Starbucks for free wifi). My room had a great view but the sofa bed was so hard and uncomfortable but they really tried to make it comfortable for me. The gym was more like a work station (2 bikes and 4 treadmills)…not even worth it. The pool area activities were average, loved the water aerobics-more fun than the “gym”! They need to enforce the adult pool restrictions as kids were allowed in all areas so it was a bit uncomfortable at times. Not sure why they had 3 Italian nights in a Mexican hotel, Asian and French night were ok but we only preferred to eat at Andrea’s because the other “Steak house” was not good. The staff were not as friendly as Andrea’s but they had good desserts. It was a very muddy beach... all the erosion from the mountains (dirt, plants, etc) came into the area making the water brown and full of twigs and plants along with really rough waves. July and August are rain season so you can’t really get around it. The flies were EVERYWHERE in the restaurants and the staff really tried to address the issue but it was so overwhelming for us. We got sick towards the end of our trip and we were unsure if it was food or water related.

Despite it all, we had a good time and I would visit again....but not for awhile.

Room Tip: Upper floors facing pool, lower floors are near kids zone
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank adivinadora
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
We at Velas Vallarta are extremely pleased that you were able to come back after so many years. The fact is, we consider all of our employees to be ambassadors of Mexico and of Puerto Vallarta. Representing all the charm that we have to offer to the guests that have chosen to travel so far to stay with us. This makes us want to receive you all the more with open arms for returning. When for human reasons that image is not demonstrated to our valued guests we are concerned enough to take corrective action so that this will not happen in the future. Thanks to our phone conversation you were able to provide me enough data of the situation, so that we now can take positive steps forward. You also have expressed some other valid points that are not impossible to address and will be taken into consideration. As well, your review mentions some of our stars that we have, who constantly go above and beyond in representing Velas Vallarta for the comfort of your vacation. For that, we appreciate your sharing that positve aspect with us. I now know, that we will have a repeat guest in you, and we look forward to your next visit when your schedule permits it. Myself, and the 520 Velas employees will be waiting at your service. Thank you for your confidence in us.
Olympia, WA
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Velas Vallarta; traveling with 13 people total. The resort was kind enough to offer a free upgrade from a two-bedroom to a three-bedroom for one of our rooms so we ended up with two 3-bedroom suites which were extremely clean and well-maintained. They were also quite large with a full kitchen; dining area; living room; and 2 full baths. The pool is lively and filled with kids and families, so this would not be the place to stay if you were looking for peace and quiet. We have also stayed at the Grand Velas and Casa Velas, and this is definitely the "budget" resort among the three. The food was decent; but nothing spectacular--especially when compared to the 5-star dining at the Grand Velas and Casa Velas resorts. The tour offered a free city bus tour which was really nice and provided an opportunity to see the old town; the flea market; and a tour to a tequila-producer who provided an interesting explanation of tequila distilling and tastings. Be careful, though, with your purchases from the tequila producer. They sell bottles that are well-wrapped in bubble-wrap which is perfect for the plane trip home; but when I got home I found that I had different tequilas than what I had ordered.

I only had a couple minor complaints with the hotel: First, you could not charge tips to your room except when ordering room service. That is, you couldn't run a tab with the poolside waiters to allow you to charge a tip to your room; nor could you charge a tip to your room at the restaurants. I know that you do not have to tip; but I like to reward good service and found that we were constantly trying to make change with our pesos so that we could leave some money for our waiters.

My second complaint is the lack of free wi-fi. In this day and age, free wi-fi should be standard; or at least it should be offered at a reasonable charge. They do offer a paid wi-fi for what works out to about $10 (US) per day; but it only works on one device. I was certainly not going to pay for wi-fi on everyone's smartphones and ipads. My kids ended up walking down to the CasaMagna Marriott two resorts down (where we stayed our first night) to use their public wi-fi.

The third issue is that they want you to make reservations at the nicer of the two restaurants (Andrea); but if you do not make your reservation really early in the day, they will tell you they are full. This is even when we asked for tables of 4 or 6 (knowing that 13 is hard to seat). But then you would often find that the restaurant was half-empty in the evening. A couple of times when we were told we were too late for a reservation; we came back when the restaurant looked quiet and they did end up seating us--but only after getting some obvious stink-eye from the hostess who had just told us a few hours earlier that they were full. (The waiters, on the other hand, were wonderful and happy to see us--because we always tipped well and were a really well-behaved group).

The maintenance staff is wonderful; and kept the pool area clean all the time. There were a number of large iguanas that live in and around the pool grounds; but the staff were quick to clean up after them and shoo them away if they got too close for comfort. In all, it was a terrific week and though it was not nearly as elegant as the Grand Velas or CasaVelas; I would have to say it was a better value for the dollar (given that the all-inclusive rates are about half of the rates at the other two resorts).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OlyBethM
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Good afternoon and thank for your review. You have covered a wide variety of topics including the value for your dollar. You are absolutely correct when mentioning that our sister resorts have an unequalled elegance in the product that they provide to our mutual guests. And of course, in order to provide those sweet, personal luxuries our rates for Grand Velas and Casa Velas are certainly that much higher. However, we realize that a group of 13 can be an expensive proposition. That is why in the Velas Group of Hotels we offer a wide variety vacation options. But you can be rest assured that the high spirit of service is a constant throughout the Velas hotels. Again, thank you for your insights and it will be our pleasure to host your group in the future.
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at Velas. We had 2 great days, and then we went to the Mexican Fiesta at the hotel. 3 of us got food poisoning and spent 2 days in bed miserable. The next day, another member of our party got food poisoning at the hotel buffet. She was sick for 2 more days. We could not bring ourselves to eat there again. We had only 1 day that our entire group was able to have fun together. A total disappointment.
When I spoke to Antonio, Guest Services Manager, he was rude and indifferent. I asked him to reimburse me for several excursions we were unable to take due to the hotels poisoning of our party. He refused. He offered to waive the internet fee and felt that whopping $79.00 made up for the $2,000.00 in excursions we lost. He said he needed a doctors note, and when I presented it, he just said there was nothing he could do. I find that very hard to believe.
All other staff members at Velas were top notch and extremely helpful. I hope they all find another place to work as their leader is the worst excuse for customer service I have ever experienced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank KDG G
luis a, General Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for sharing your experience on your vacation. In the days during your visit the resort was at a !00% occupancy, and actually for all of July and for a good part of August also. We are experiencing here at Velas Vallarta a very successful summer in terms of having the hotel fully reserved, and the vast amount of satisfied guests that we have hosted. I must in all fairness disagree with your statement that states "the hotels poisoning of our party". With an operation the size of ours, and the thousands of guests this summer that have not been "poisoned" I find your case to be very unique indeed, especially since 640 guests attended the very same Mexican Fiesta. In conferring with the house doctor he has notes that refer to other complications in your case that you have not mentioned in your review, but of course I will not expand on that. Our Guest Service representative Antonio had only one contact with you and that was to change a tour from five persons to four, which was done with a refund for that person and a gesture of free wi-fi during your stay. However, in investigating with the travel agency that sold you your tours, they confirm that you bought and experienced "Rhythms of The Night", "Dolphin Swim Experience", "Outdoor Adventure" and a boat tour to the "Marietas Islands". Actually, some of these tours you even posted on TripAdvisor. The only tour not used was the "San Sabastian" 8 hour bus tour, which by the way was complementary due to a promotion made by the same tour company. In investigating all of this I am at a loss to understand the $2,000 in lost excursions when the total for all of them does not even add up to $1,300. It may be certain that Antonio could have done more "Above and Beyond" in his personal treatment with your family. For that I do apologize and we will make internal corrections for that.
Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Arrived on July13th front desk upgraded us to 3 bedroom along with our friends who met up with us an hour after we landed. Had a fun time with my wife and two teenage sons. The place is out of something in the 1980's however it was extremely clean. Somehow got stuck with the time share bull but managed to get them to pay for the zip lining for my entire family. Only cost us $20 total for the four of us. Also went Para sailing off the beach which my family enjoyed. A bit expensive but you can and should negotiate with them. American dollars go a long way and be prepared the resort doesnt exchange large American $'s for small American bills, only Pesos. We brought over $500 worth of Spa Finders (get them at costco) before I left I emailed Velas to inquire about them accepting them. Was informed by email they do. When we went to the spa they had no idea what Spa Finders were. We were told to go to customer relations and ask them. Once there the young lady had no idea and said we needed to speak with Donald the manager. A few minutes later Donald came by and asked to see my email on my phone. Long story short he made a few phone calls and Donald got it done. Way to go Donald. Thats customer relations at its best. I had one of the best massages ever, felt like jelly on two feet afterwards and needed a cane to walk steadily. My wife loved her facial and both our friends enjoyed their spa treatments. The restaurants had limited or no A/C. La Riberia had a great stir fry station but nothing else worth eating. Too hot and too many flies. Ruben was a very good waiter there.
Andrea's was the place to eat. A/C was limited but the service was amazing. Teodoro and Moises made us feel like a million dollars during breakfast and lunch. Ricardo and Luis were great at night. We had one off night with wait service at Andrea's and i let him know it. Totatally ignored us most of the meal never offered anything always had to get his attention. Teodoro brought him over the next morning and I ripped him apart for his miserable service. Needless to we never were served by him again. Pool Volley ball was fun and throwing around the football.

Pros - Great, Wonder and Dedicated Service Staff
Pool and Grounds
A/C in room
Andreas food
Massages and Facials at Spa
Teodoro, Moises, Ricardo Eric and Luis at Andrea's restaurant
Miguel and Ivan around the pool area

Cons - Beach is clean however ocean is dirty
Limited A/C in Resort
Absolutely worse nightlife after dinner -thank goodness for playing cards in room
Inability to convert large American bills into Small American Bills

Room Tip: Building 4 5th floor or higher
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank kirk m
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you Kirk for expressing your experiences of your holiday with us at Velas Vallarta. Your interaction with many of our staff members was very large and your ability to remember their names means to us that they have left a positive impression on you. That is precisely one of our goals. To service our guests in a personable fashion and that happens from the management level all the way to our line staff. For whatever your needs may be you always count on Velas Vallarta to get things done. Thank you again for your detailed comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,529 reviews
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallar...
#9 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,759 reviews
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#29 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,803 reviews

Been to Velas Vallarta? Share your experiences!