“First trip to Puerto Vallarta”
Review of Velas Vallarta

Velas Vallarta
Ranked #5 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Santa Clara, California
“First trip to Puerto Vallarta”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We ended up at Velas Vallarta more by accident than by design! A friend had recommended a different hotel in the area and I had made a reservation there. 2 weeks before we were scheduled to go I checked TripAdvisor and read awful reviews. So I called the travel company to check what other resorts had availability and changed our reservation to the Velas, after checking TripAdvisor . I am so glad that I did.
This is a great resort; family friendly, clean and beautiful. We travelled with 2 of our children, one of whom is a teenager. The location is a 5 minute drive from the airport. it has a beach access and lovely grounds and pools.
We spent most days lounging by the pool. The children swam and played pool volleyball. There are table tennis tables in the pool area and my 10 year old had fun playing. The whole resort felt very safe and I was never concerned that the children went off on their own.
We ate most of our meals at Andrea's; every meal had great choices and delicious food. The service was good wherever we went in the resort. And our suite was immaculate, although we never saw the cleaning staff in the room. They were completely unintrusive. The beds were really comfortable too and we all slept very soundly.
There was plenty to do for every age group, in the resort and the entertainment organizer and DJ were tireless in their efforts to make everything fun. We did go to Las Caletas, which is gorgeous and well worth a visit. We also went zip lining at Eden.
Thanks to TripAdvisor I really felt as if we had the perfect vacation. If I hadn't read the reviews prior to travel we may have made an awful mistake. It is really worth sharing experiences on this website...good and bad!!

Room Tip: Our room was directly above Andrea's overlooking the foyer, which was great for access to everyt...
1 Thank Soccermum21
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor. Your comments reflect those of many of our guests in regards to our service and product. It was nice that you researched your options on this page beforehand. Your review is living proof that the comments here are very much in line with what you experienced. When researching a hotel, one likes to sense an overall feeling for a property before making a final decision and Tripadvisor is the place to do just that. Congratulations on your good decision and we look forward to having you and your family with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (884)
Arizona
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Where should I start? I have been coming to Puerta Vallarta for many years but hadn't been there in some time. It was the first time I did the all inclusive. My boyfriend and I arrived and were greeted at the airport where we were given a courtesy ride to the resort. EVERYTHING from that time forward was terrific. The people were so kind and thoughtful, the food was great, the restaurants were clean and the pool area was so much fun. We enjoyed the games and the various nights were we celebrated with different ethnic foods. The Mexican Fiesta was fabulous. The staff at the pool and by the ocean were really on top of things. We were never without a drink...food...all our needs were met. Both Christians (at the owners desk and the fiesta) were great. I cannot say enough about our vacation. I look forward to coming again. The resort is so great and the town is wonderful to visit. Take the boat to Las Caletas and see the Rhythms of the Night...well worth it. Anyway, the resort is beautiful, service is excellent and I can't wait to return. Christine Conger

Room Tip: We had a corner room with a balcony. I prefer a balcony over a view but every room is clean and comf...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We are delighted that we helped to make your return journey to Puerto Vallarta a memorable one for you and your boyfriend. The services, attractions and the selection have grown over the past few years but the consistancy is and always will be the hospitality that the local residents show toward our visitors. The Puerto Vallarta area is a place where friendships are made and vacations become unforgettable. Welcome back!
Fairview Heights, Illinois
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was our second year in a row at Velas for summer family vacation. We love the resort, staff, waiters, pool, food, and location. You can't go wrong staying here. The rooms are very large, nice beds, great TV selection in both American and Mexican for shows/news. A special thanks to the great service by Veronica in customer service, Miguel and Alfredo by the pool. We are time share owners there since last year and well worth the money. Every where we went we were asked if they could get us a drink. Everyone is always so nice and professional. Total relaxation vacation and things to do in the area if you want to do that as well. Check-in couldn't be easier, room service 24-7, great pizza to steaks and ribs. Can you tell we love it there.

Room Tip: Every room is great because of how the resort is setup.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your fine review of our resort. We strive to achieve the comfort level that you enjoy with each visit you spend with us. That includes an ample variety of television channels that you will find at Velas Vallarta with up to 90 different selections in English and Spanish. Not that you will stay indoors all the time watching TV, but for those relaxing moments you will be able watch a program or movie that will make you feel even more at home. Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you soon.
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed at Velas during our first stay in PV 7/3-7/8. I bought the stay on Living Social after reading numerous reviews, visiting the hotel website, looking at menus, etc. Upon arrival, we were greeted with drinks and treated so kindly. The checkin-in process was easy and staff was pleasant. I had made mention in an e mail that the trip was for my boyfriend's birthday and that a special room would be appreciated if availble. We had a GORGEOUS view from the top floor. Room was spacious, light, great window coverings, nice heavy, quality towels, and the bed was not too shabby---important to us being that we love our iComfort at home so much! My first meal was FANTASTIC. Hungry and tired after a travel, we wanted some greasy goodness to kick off our vacation. We wanted to be seated at the beach restaurant, but not to eat something quite as fancy as the entrees on the lunch menu that day. We had seen pizza on the room service menu and asked, with some hesitaiton if they could serve us a pizza here instead. The waiter said that would be "no problem at all", and got us some drinks to start. I made a salad while we waited and cannot rave enough about their falvorful, fresh, clean, beautiful produce! We came to find that they had variations for each day, but each day was great. I loved the arugula with mozzarella and roasted eggplant. In fact I topped my pizza with this "salad" and it was to die for! My boyfriend loved their cheeses (cheddar specifically), and salami to snack on (thick cut, pepperoni looking meat). Drinks were tasty and made with quality alcohol, but a little weak for our liking. It only took one time of asking for "double liquor" or "fuerte, por favor" for any of the bartenders to remember, and do this (the restaurant, lobby, or swim up bar). When you're down to your last sip, there they are with another. No request is a bother. We wanted the fancy experience of Restaurant Andrea for dessert before a night on the town our second night---reservations are required and space was not available. The hostess sat us at a lovely patio lounge area and our waiter served us Mimosas and cake! We discovered quickly that we didn't like the buffet items for breatfast at the Beach restaurant. After talking with some fellow Velas visitors, we headed to Andrea. They also have a buffet, but make items to order as well. French toast was awesome! Coffee, fresh OJ, and Mimosas! I loved the omelets---again, super fresh items to choose (mine were always onion, spinach and mushroom) with a side of refried beans. Their bagles and cream cheese were yummy, fruit delicious, and chocolate pastries not bad either! The majority of tables didn't tip (or at least not daily), and the atmosphere was not one that created the expectation for tips. Each waiter was extremely gracious if a tip was given, but this never changed service---service was fabulous! We enjoyed leaving a few dollars for each meal and even every couple of drinks. It didn't amount to much over 5 days, and the waiters were well deserving. As we decided where we liked to go for each meal, waiters start recognizing you, and wanting you seated in their section. The service is personal---Fernando remembered our drinks and started us out with them at the beach restaurant. When he could tell we were in conversation come 10:30p and not ready to leave, he brought us a bottle of champagne to take to the room. Our favorite menu at that place was Steak House and I LOVED the half chicken (most well mainaded, tender, slow cooked meat I've had), and my boyfriend had chicken and steak skewers. Again, delish!. Honestly, we are both a big picky and not super fancy eaters. If you are, the sea food looked great and the options were abundant. We tended to feel that the menu at Andre was too fancy... but we preferred their breakfasts, or room service for the morning we wanted to get a slow, easy start (Mimosas then too!). I guess at some point I mentioned the exact day of my boyfriend's birthday in my reservation request, and a beautiful "Happy Birthday" fruit tarte was waiting with a candle that evening. SO thoughtful! Other perks.... hotel is super close to the hotel. Bell boys are awesome. Cabs waiting if you want to go downtown, reasonably priced, everyone's English is suberb and helpfulness is impressive. We booked zip lining at the Activities desk and appreciated not being TOO bombarded by activity guys beach front (although we're told this may have been because of the "off season" we visited during). Miami Vices con double liquor and Sex on the Beach were are most popular drinks.... easily got our money's worth even had I not scored the Living Social price. I LOVED staying here and imagined this would be what it's like to be wealthy. I highly recommend Velas and WILL be back at some point! Canopy River zip lining personnel were equally as great and we were happy that Velas sent us with them. :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex95401
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing our resort to celebrate your boyfriend's birthday. As you experienced and as you have described, Velas Vallarta is a resort that caters to the wishes of it's guests and not vice versa. If a request or a "special something" is within our reach we will gladly make it happen. Personalized gestures towards our guests are what distinguishes us and contributes to a memorable experience for you. We look forward to having the opportunity to celebrate your birthday next time. Thank you and take care.
SF, CA
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have been to Velas Vallarta now at least 4 times and are timeshare owners. That being said, we haven't gone in 4 years and just returned from our one week stay. It was like going home! I can only repeat all that's been said about the amazing grounds, the fabulous pools, the wonderful food, the comfortable/large suite and balcony and the world class service.

I'll also cover two areas I personally was looking for answers on - weather in July and Mexico with a toddler.
The weather the last week of June/first week of July was perfect. It was in the low to mid-80s, perfect pool weather most days. We had one cloudy morning where we went to downtown to shop/walk. We had a few rainstorms at night but we were in the fabulous Andrea's dining or in the family-oriented shows in the lobby. so don't let the weather stop you!
Toddler - he loved every minute. He was completely catered too and even referred to several of the waiters as his friends. He had tons of options for food or they made him something special (like pasta with butter only). He loved all the fresh fruit and smoothies and his favorite was the ribs poolside. I would advise you to bring your own flotation devices and they will fill them up for you for $1 at the store.
I highly recommend the all inclusive at this resort. The food is excellent, the drinks supurb.From a latte after breakfast, to ice cream and cakes in the evening by the beach to a bottle of wine at dinner - it's all included - all the time. When my little guy (3) was winding down at night he'd sometimes want to eat. I called room service and in less than 20 minutes had hot dog and fries, plate of strawberries, cheese pizza, steak, grilled chicken - whatever he wanted.
Our daily routine -- eating breakfast at the beach restaurant, straigh to the pool for relaxing and swmming, have lunch poolside with the 5 star pool wait staff, nap/rest in room or on balcony, dinner every night at Andreas. They even made my daughter a special birthday cake for her birthday and sang to her.
Can't wait to go back....
The photos on Trip Advisor are EXACTLY like the real place so look through them to get a sense of the property.

Room Tip: Room 3515 was a two room suite with the balcony off the two bedrooms. Living room/kitchen were dark...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your Velas Vallarta contribution on TripAdvisor. Here we know, that when families with children are here, who is the king. The kids. When the little ones are happy then the whole family is able to enjoy that much better their vacation. As you mentioned our restaurants and room service can work their magic and the appetites of the children are quickly satisfied resulting in smiles for all. I am sure you will also have enjoyed our kitchen compliment with 22 different food and drink products restocked on a daily basis. We look forward to your visit each year and you can count on the personalized service that you have already come to know. Thank you again!
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Velas Vallarta is one of the best kept secrets in Mexico! Although all-inclusive, its smaller size, layout, beautiful landscaping and resident peacocks makes it feel like a quiet upscale resort. The staff is superb - friendly, accommodating, and incredibly service-oriented. We go to Velas Vallarta every year, and every year, as we sit on the quiet & beautiful beach, feel the stress drain out and the sun warm our bodies, we breathe that "Ahhhhhhhh!" that a great vacation elicits. It feels like a secluded resort with a private beach, even though beaches in Mexico are public. Some of the suites are in need of a soft goods remodeling, but beds & linens are very comfortable and kitchens fully equipped. Housekeeping staff is great and friendly. Plenty of pools and pool activity; LOVE the swim up bar. The all-inclusive menus change each night, offering enough variety for a week's stay. Breakfast buffet at the restaurant on the beach is a favorite morning tradition. Chair & cabana service at the beach is a huge bonus - drinks, lunch, snacks, happy hour... all delivered to you on the beach. For when we want to eat off property, Velas Vallarta is only a 5-minute walk to the PVR Marina & some of the best restaurants in town with gorgeous yacht views. And only a 10-minute cab ride ($10 each way) to downtown PVR, shopping, more great restaurants, the Malecon, and nightlife. It's our favorite annual get away!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lesley Y
Thank you for your descriptive insights of your stay with us. I could almost imagine how relaxed you felt while on the beach listening to the waves. As you mentioned we do have wait service on our beach area which not many all inclusives provide. Waiters such as Marcelino, Jacinto and others will run up and down in order to make your relaxation even more relaxed. We look forward to serving you with the same smiles which you have come to know in your future holidays at your second home: Velas Vallarta.
Pasadena, California
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We just returned 2 weeks AI stay @ Velas, it was a wonderful experience. We stayed @ room #3303 which is 1 bed room facing garden. the patio has 10% ocean view.

Location : Marina area, has bus stop in front of the resort to go anywhere direct or by getting connection bus.

Resort : slightly older resort but good.

Food : 2 restaurants (andrea & Laribera) with daily theme options during dinner. They have
staffs are very courteous and friendly. since my wife is vegan they help us preparing no meat/sea foods options.

Pool : very good, where we spend most of our time.

evening entertainment : we didn't attend much since people smoke at this place.

staff : excellent service (always smiley face, courteous & supportive staff) who are always helpful and support. I can't name each of them since the list is too big.

we didn't buy internet package.
my wife tried the SPA service
they offered free city tour & tropical jungle tour , we didn't opted but we did by our self.
kids enjoyed the peacocks and iguanas (initially they are scared of them but later they become comfortable)

Pros : many things
resort staff, great service, food, pool, access to public transport, lush appearance, night sounds like jungle, good room service, kids club, pool drink, loved their sunday mexican dinner.

Recommendations :
like to see more local food, I see them only during mexican fiesta (I attend this for 2 Sundays)

I am glad to share my opinion if there are any specific question about this resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank kaks1
We appreciate having hosted you for two weeks for your first visit. It gives you plenty of time to explore, relax and indulge at a leisurely pace. I am pleased that we satisfied your dietary preference. Our executive chef really has a gift for being able to generate a smile by improvising off the menu, and he does that with his personal touch directed to each guest. So now, when you return in the future you will feel comfortable on your selection right from the first day. Thank you and take care.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,529 reviews
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallar...
#9 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,767 reviews
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#29 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,803 reviews

Been to Velas Vallarta? Share your experiences!